DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Classical Music - It's a Knockout (Current Vote: Round 1, Ties 5 and 6)

Corki

After a bit of a delay, it is time for the Band of the Red Hand's music theme to explore world of Classical Music. You have spent some nominating your pieces of Classical Music to enter the contest and fight for the honour of being DM's and the Band's favourite piece of Classical Music. Now we move into the phase where you pick the winner. Overall, you managed to nominate 5 songs in total, and I am including all of them in the contest. As a result, we are going for a slightly larger than normal contest.

Therefore, "It's A Knockout" extends to a slightly larger format this month - and this means there are 28 songs instead of the normal 16!

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel, music and eating out Social Group, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of any chosen category - this time, it is the pieces of music from the world of Classical Music. Each day, 2 ties of 2 nominated/additional pieces will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which of the pieces in each of the ties you prefer. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning pieces will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 piece left as the winner at the end of the competition - which will be crowned the Band of the Red Hand's favourite piece of Classical Music! It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

Please Note: I believe Americans can't see VEVO videos on YouTube. I will do my best not to post links to these videos on YouTube. If I do accidentally post a VEVO video, please let me know and I will find an alternative video.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Please Note: The following songs are seeded, and their seed is in brackets during the tie.

1. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini

2. Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy

3. Piano Concerto #20 In D Minor (1. Allegro) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

4. Aquarium (Carnival Of The Animals) by Camille Saint-Saëns

Round 1

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst vs. Blue Danube by Johann Strauss II

2. Minute Waltz by Frédéric Chopin vs. The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

3. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber vs. The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

4. Godzilla Eats Las Vegas by Eric Whitacre vs. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

5. O Fortuna by Carl Orff vs. Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo

6. Swan Lake Ballet by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky vs. Overture to "Candide" by Leonard Bernstein

7. Sabre Dance by Aram Khachaturian vs. Toccata and Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach

8. String Quartet No. 8 by Dmitri Shostakovich vs. Dies Irae by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

9. Night on a Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky vs. Pomp and Circumstance Military March No. 1 in D by Edward Elgar

10. 5th Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven vs. In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Greig

11. 9th Symphony (2nd Movement) by Ludwig van Beethoven vs. Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre

12. Les Toreadors by Georges Bizet vs. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner

Round 2

1. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini (1) vs. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

2. Minute Waltz by Frederic Chopin vs. The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

3. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel vs. Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo

4. Overture to Candide by Bernstein vs. (4) Aquarium (Carnival Of The Animals) by Camille Saint-Saëns

5. Piano Concerto #20 In D Minor (1. Allegro) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (3) vs. Toccata and Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach

6. Dies Irae by Mozart vs.Night on a Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky

7. In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Greig vs. Lux Aurumque by Whitacre

8. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner vs. (2) Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy

Round 3

Semi-Final

3rd/4th Play-off

Final

THE CHOSEN PIECES OF MUSIC

1. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

This is the winning piece from 2009, but hasn't reached beyond the second round since. Jupiter comes from Holst's The Planet Suite, which premièred fully for the first time in 1920. Jupiter is known as "The Bringer of Jollity", and is a very rousing and cheerful piece of music. Modern adaptations include for the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country (my favourite hymn) and The World in Union theme for the Rugby Union World Cups.

2. Blue Danube by Johann Strauss II

Johann Strauss II composed the Blue Danube in 1866. The waltz is one of the most popular pieces of classical music with its easy, relaxed feel - as if you were floating down the Danube itself. It is a traditional encore piece at the annual Vienna New Year's Concert. Its fame was enhanced by Stanley Kubrick using the music in his film 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is such a clean and beautiful piece of music. The piece has been in the contest since 2010 but never made it beyond the first round.

3. Minute Waltz by Frédéric Chopin

The Polish composer Frédéric Chopin composed Waltz in D flat major in 1847. It is commonly known as the Minute Waltz and is for a solo piano. It is dedicated to the Countess Delfina Potocka. The piece made its first appearance in the contest last year, but fell at the first hurdle.

4. The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

This happens to be Corki's favourite piece of classical music, which it has been for quite some time. It has reached the second round every time since 2009! The Great Gate of Kiev is the rousing finale to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, where he cleverly depicts various scenes with the music. The Promenade that links each picture (i.e. the walk between the pictures) features prominently. It sounds like a great procession is going through in celebration. A great piece of music to end the musical imagery from Pictures at an Exhibition.

Round 1, Tie 1

Jupiter by Gustav Holst

This is the winning piece from 2009, but hasn't reached beyond the second round since. Jupiter comes from Holst's The Planet Suite, which premièred fully for the first time in 1920. Jupiter is known as "The Bringer of Jollity", and is a very rousing and cheerful piece of music. Modern adaptations include for the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country (my favourite hymn) and The World in Union theme for the Rugby Union World Cups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y

vs.

Blue Danube by Johann Strauss II

Johann Strauss II composed the Blue Danube in 1866. The waltz is one of the most popular pieces of classical music with its easy, relaxed feel - as if you were floating down the Danube itself. It is a traditional encore piece at the annual Vienna New Year's Concert. Its fame was enhanced by Stanley Kubrick using the music in his film 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is such a clean and beautiful piece of music. The piece has been in the contest since 2010 but never made it beyond the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Voting ends Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 10:30pm (BST)

Round 1, Tie 2

Minute Waltz by Frédéric Chopin

The Polish composer Frédéric Chopin composed Waltz in D flat major in 1847. It is commonly known as the Minute Waltz and is for a solo piano. It is dedicated to the Countess Delfina Potocka. The piece made its first appearance in the contest last year, but fell at the first hurdle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWM-cQpqixU&feature=player_embedded

vs.

The Great Gate of Kiev by Modest Mussorgsky

This happens to be Corki's favourite piece of classical music, which it has been for quite some time. It has reached the second round every time since 2009! The Great Gate of Kiev is the rousing finale to Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, where he cleverly depicts various scenes with the music. The Promenade that links each picture (i.e. the walk between the pictures) features prominently. It sounds like a great procession is going through in celebration. A great piece of music to end the musical imagery from Pictures at an Exhibition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Aa0oKBtFKts

Voting ends Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at 10:30pm (BST)

Tie 1: Jupiter

Tie 2: It hardly seems fair to compare a solo piano piece to a full on orchestral number...better to pit Pictures at an Exhibition against another symphony, IMO

but if I have to choose between the two, I'll go with The Great Gate of Kiev

I love all these pieces!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I didn't see this! Sorry!

I know it's kinda too late, but seeing as there have only been two votes-

Tie 1: Jupiter

Tie 2: the Mussourgsky

I played the Grand Gate of Kiev last night with my orchestra. I love all of Pictures, it's an amaaaaazing piece. :) I think my favourite from teh piece, although I love the Grand Gate, has gotta be either 'Gnomus' or 'The Hut on Fowl's Legs'. Probably the latter, because Gnomus is bloody difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Round 1, Tie 3

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

A beautiful yet somewhat depressing piece, Samuel Barber creates an emotional piece that definitely makes one think.

The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

Created as a ballet, and within the entire suite lasting nearly an hour, Stravinsky does well to recreate the very essence of the beginnings of Spring.

Voting ends Tuesday July 2 at 10pm CST

Round 1, Tie 4

Godzilla Eats Las Vegas by Eric Whitacre

While it has an old school feeling to me, it reminds me of being in marching band myself and being able to feel the intensity as I played. Although it does not start intensely, it is definitely a fit to the iconic Godzilla movies.

Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel

One of the most classic wedding songs, the Canon is known throughout the world. Personally, I enjoy this has a song but refused to have it play at my own wedding! But...perhaps if I could have afforded this entire orchestra it would have been the perfect song to walk down the aisle!

Voting ends Tuesday July 3 at 10pm CST

Stravinsky and Pachelbel. Pachelbel is my musical hero. I refuse to learn a fixed version of Canon since there's so much you can do with the piece. The different chords are integrated as the song goes on and as it progresses the melody repeats itself and becomes more and more beautiful... really have no words to describe how much I love that song. yay.

Round 1, Tie 5

O Fortuna by Carl Orff

With its initial epic feel, it is hard to believe Orff wrote this as a complaint. However, as the song continues you can feel that underlying tone of despair that in the end turns to a desperate plea for good fortune.

Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo

Being such a fan of the Spanish language and Spain in general, you would think I would enjoy this song more...turns out when it comes to classical Spanish music I'm not a big fan unless it's the classical flamenco music! However, this song is still extremely well played and I admire all of these musicians in this video--I know just how difficult this song would be to play! And that guitarist is amazing.

Voting ends July 5, 10 PM CST.

Round 1, Tie 6

Swan Lake Ballet

by Tchaiskovsky[/left]

As a pianist, I loved to play Tchaiskovsky's pieces. In fact, I'm pretty sure I played this piece at one point in time, but could never perfect it because of its delicate intricacies. In the music world, it is considered to be one of the most famous and well done ballets of all time.

Overture to "Candide" by Bernstein

As some of you may have already the connection, I'll let you know it's a valid one! Bernstein wrote this piece to resemble the story of Candide written by Voltaire. It is a very fun and I suppose you could call it chippery piece that in a way resembles the every day facets of life.

Voting ends July 5 10 PM at CST

Archived