DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Classical Music - It's a Knockout (Current Vote: Round 1, Ties 5 and 6)

Corki

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tie 11

9th Symphony 2nd Movement by Beethoven

As always, Beethoven presents an interesting and moving piece!

Lux Arumqne by Whitacre

A soft and flowing piece to help soothe the soul.

Voting ends at 10pm CST Monday August 6

Tie 12

Les Toreadors by Bizet

This is definitely a fun and upbeat song!

Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner

Always fun and meant to inspire the imagination in some way.

Voting ends at 10 pm CST Monday August 6th.

Beethoven and WAGNER!!!!!!!!

Love Ride of the Valkyries. It's an aaaawesome piece, and it just makes me think of my music camp last year or the year before-some of the best professional musicians in the state were our tutors, and they gave a joke concert of the Ring Cycle. It was hilarious, they compressed the three act opera into a twenty minute joke, it was hilaaaarious, and now I think of that every time I hear the piece. :)

Also, I just saw Lisa Gasteen sing Wagner in the Aussie Youth Orchestra concert. She replaced the soprano that fell sick, and she was amaaaazing!!! Does anyone know her? She's pretty much the world's leading Wagnerian soprano.

Beethoven and WAGNER!!!!!!!!

Love Ride of the Valkyries. It's an aaaawesome piece, and it just makes me think of my music camp last year or the year before-some of the best professional musicians in the state were our tutors, and they gave a joke concert of the Ring Cycle. It was hilarious, they compressed the three act opera into a twenty minute joke, it was hilaaaarious, and now I think of that every time I hear the piece. :)

Also, I just saw Lisa Gasteen sing Wagner in the Aussie Youth Orchestra concert. She replaced the soprano that fell sick, and she was amaaaazing!!! Does anyone know her? She's pretty much the world's leading Wagnerian soprano.

I'll go with the non-bethoven and wagner, though the ride of the Valkyries is not my favourite piece from the Ring Cycle.

I was able to catch the Met's mew production (in full) this spring and talk about WOW. I like the close the Das Rhiengold (when the gods accend to Valhalah) and the last song in the cycle (Fly Home, Ye Ravens) the best...the way the stage end gotterdommerung is the same way it starts das rhinegold...so that was cool.

Also, where are the vocals in the ride of valkyries? "Heho! Heho!"

Tyzack - please make it clear who you are voting for! I don't mind the side comments but try not to 'spam' the thread too much as it will make it much more difficult for me to count the votes and you only get points for the votes you cast!

Lux Arumque by Whitacre

and

Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner

(NOT this recording though, which is in mono and lacks bottom.)

Here's another recording I like better. (It sounds like the person who uploaded this recorded the audio from the Watchmen movie soundtrack OVER a preexisting recording, because there's this weird addition at the end, so just ignore the last Minute or so. If you can. Ha!)

And with my final vote Whitacre and Wagner have survived to make it through to the next round!

Next Ties to be up shortly!

Round 2 will consist of the following ties:

1. William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini (1) vs. Jupiter by Gustav Holst

2. Minute Waltz by Frederic Chopin vs. The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

3. Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel vs. Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo

4. Overture to Candide by Bernstein vs. (4) Aquarium (Carnival Of The Animals) by Camille Saint-Saëns

5. Piano Concerto #20 In D Minor (1. Allegro) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (3) vs. Toccata and Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach

6. Dies Irae by Mozart vs.Night on a Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky

7. In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Greig vs. Lux Aurumque by Whitacre

8. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner vs. (2) Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy

Round Two Tie Two

Minute Waltz by Chopin

I always enjoyed playing this piece...so I definitely enjoy listening to it even more, especially since I was never that fast!

The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky

Pachelbel and Aquarium.

As a cellist, I have an unhealthy relationship with Pachelbel's Canon...and I remember once when my 4tet were playing at a wedding, just as light entertainment in the church while everyone was waiting. We were just playing through the music in our folder and started playing the Canon. Everyone stopped and went silent and started looking around for the bride. XD

I stopped playing very quickly. :p

And I love the Carnival of the Animals to pieces, especially Aquarium, Fossils and the Swan obviously. The whole piece is legend though.

BB-that's hilarious!!! I refused to have Canon as my down the aisle song. I used this song:

My cousin played and sang it for me while I walked down. It was perfect!

Who else is gonna vote? I need peeps in here!!!

Archived