DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Classical Music - It's a Knockout (Current Vote: Round 1, Ties 5 and 6)

Corki

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carmina Burana

and

Overture to Candide!

THANK YOU, Jeannaisais, for that recording of Candide! I think it's a superior performance. Very exciting!

Please, give this vote a few more days? Like a week? Please?

Overture to "Candide" by Bernstein

I love swan lake, but I want to go for an underdog here. I always complain when listening to classical radio that they only play the "warhourses" so I'm not voting for one...

Concerto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo

I also love spanish music, and O Fourtuna is worse than a war horse.

Tie 7

Sabre Dance by Aram Khachaturian

A fun and upbeat song, this just might actually make you want to dance!

Toccata and Fugue by Bach

One of the most famous organ pieces in the world, many will recognize this as it has been played in various films. It always reminds me of vampire books....

Tie Eight

String Quartet 8 by Shostakovich

This piece was written quickly and in representation of Shostakovich's realizations of what was about to happen in his life. He was diagnosed with a rare form of polio not long after composing this quartet, and it is his lament to the world of the pain he was enduring.

Dies Irae by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

This dredges up memories for me of visiting Mozart's home in Vienna, Austria. We toured the house he lived in for the majority of his life, and when it was discussing his final days, this song began to play because it was the last song he ever composed...or he at least composed the majority of it as there is some debate that he was too ill to complete the composition. Nevertheless, it is a very respected despite being short as far as classical composition tend to go.

Voting ends on Thursday July 12 at 10 PM CST

And the music gurus Bach and Mozart win a great victory over Shostakovich and Khachaturian (whose names I'm not sure how to even pronounce!).

I will have the next ties up in the morning as the computer needs some rest and so do I!

Aw nooo!!!! I missed a heap of stuff! How come it picked up while I was gone? :(

Ah well.

I see Canon was mentioned...ah Pachelbel, the bane of a cellist's life.

Beautiful piece, amazing to listen to and an amazing musical construction, but...ah, the cello part. He he he.

Hope the next round is put up soon and I can vote again!

BB--I will do my best to have it up tonight and at the latest it will be up tomorrow morning!

And it picked up while you were gone because I was given permission from the higher ups to be the interim social group leader until a new leader is chosen!

Tie 9

Night on a Bald Mountain by Mussorgsky

This is not a piece for the uneventful, that's for sure! It would be a great help for writer's block I would think!

Pomp and Circumstance Military March No. 1 in D by Elgar

This is your typical march--the one any flautist would hate to play--but it's an overall good and fun song!

Voting ends Tuesday July 24 at 10pm CST.

Tie 10

5th Symphony by Beethoven

One of the most iconical pieces ever, I always love actually playing this piece rather than just listening to it. Such an amazing piece--I just wish the later movements got as much credit as the first!

In the Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg

A very fun and festive piece to play, it gets the fingers flowing and makes you feel a bit like dancing!

Voting ends Tuesday July 24 and 10pm CST.

Though I DEARLY loves me a March, most any Sousa and Fuciks' Entry of the Gladiators being favorites .. I have to go with Mussorgsky over Elgar. That one just really doesn't do it for me.

My first experience of Live Symphonic music was in 4th grade at the Tennessee War Memorial Auditorium (1960 I think) for a Young Peoples Concert. "...Bald Mountain" and "... Mountain King" were on the program, were stuck in my memory and have always been among my favorites..

Mussorgsky and Grieg

Archived