DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nakomi?

mlva103

I have a theory about the woman that Aviendha meet on her way to Rhuidean named Nakomi. There are several theory's i have seen about her. The creator sent her or variations of this. This doesn't seem to fit the creator that the books talks about. It describes the creator a gardener that once he was done with there world moved one to others and left it to them to make of it what they will. She is somehow Verin. This seem hard to believe because Nakomi understands j'e'toh in a very deep way. Nobody that was not Aiel could have that deep of an understanding of J'e'toh. Deeper understanding then even a Wise ones apprentice. Final theory i have heard is that the wise ones were behind it. Why would they go to all the trouble and break custom to teach a lesson.

My theory is That she is the last or one of the last Jenn Aiel. It was their job to show the Aiel there past. We know the Jenn had proficiency about this time. She says she is far form her roof but not far at all. When ask what her sept is, she answers "I cannot answer your question, for it is not my place to give this truth." Their is only one clan that ever lived in Rhuidean before Rand. Also she never ate the turtle which would follow the way of the leaf. A small clan less than 50 would be easy to hide for hundreds of years in a place were people only came to be tested.

I thought of this as well, and it very well could have been. The only that makes me think it wasn't was the Ji'e'toh thing. The Jeen never spoke of it. Ji'e'toh was adapted after the Aiel seperated because a large portion of it has to do with fighting and battle and such. Like making some dai'shain. Dai'shain was something different back then. All Aiel called themselves dai'shain, until you committed and act of violence. And now dai'shain is a type of punishment where one cannot do violence or anything, but twisted a bit. Though I might be wrong, I just remember seeing any of the Jeen in the past talk about ji'e'toh or anything like that. Again, I'll have to re-read it to be certain, so don't quote me on this.

Gai'shain (I dont think I spelled it properly, but it is G, not D) (I made a point not because of the spelling error, but that daishain or something similar means something different in the old tongue)

I wouldn't necessarily say that knowledge of the ji'e'toh can be used against the theory. The Aiel did interact and consult the Jenn before they became "extinct", so the Jenn would have known of Ji'e'toh and would have understood it, since the Aiel were still their people who they gave guidance to.

It certainly does fit with the message she was trying to deliver. That the Aiel need to find something besides battle to live for, a very Jenn thing to say, as the last sect of "true Aiel"

I am all for it, certainly the most probable scenario without much evidence of who or what Nakomi was.

I don't think you're wrong about the Jenn Aiel and ji'e'toh, but I suspect you've confused Da'Shain with Da'tsang.

EDIT: fudge, the boards stopped telling me when new posts were made while I was typing. That was addressed at Edynol, and Barid's guess is much better than mine :blush:

Ahh, here we go, from some "old tongue dictionary" http://www.angelfire.com/tx/jcs97b/otd.html

it says : da'shain = peaceful one.

I checked with WoTWiki and they confim it saying "The Da'shain Aiel are an extinct faction of the Aiel. During the Age of Legends, they served the Aes Sedai and followed the Way of the Leaf"

Barid, you know better than to quote the wiki on stuff like that - they don't really know what they are talking about. The Aiel were all Da'shain. We've seen ordinary folks calling them simply Da'shain, not Aiel. It's true, they have evolved into something else, but that doesn't mean it was a separate sect of Aiel as they make it sound.

By the way, why are you talking like a Battle Schooler all day?

Barid, you know better than to quote the wiki on stuff like that - they don't really know what they are talking about. The Aiel were all Da'shain. We've seen ordinary folks calling them simply Da'shain, not Aiel. It's true, they have evolved into something else, but that doesn't mean it was a separate sect of Aiel as they make it sound.

By the way, why are you talking like a Battle Schooler all day?

Yeahh, i know, I was lazy :tongue: it was good enough to make my point, but yeah, you are right, it is actually quite inaccurate.

I have no idea why, lack of sleep most likely, up researching for assignments will do that to you

I like the idea that Nakomi is one of the Jenn it would explain her knowledge and her evasiveness. However the repid cooking of the food and the way she appeared/disappeared without a sound or trace would indicate the she can channel. Avienda never felt anything which then gives 2 options: 1. She is weaving everything inverted or 2. She is actually man hidden buy the Mirror of Mists. I would like to find out who/what she is but i doubt that we will.

The most obvious answer is that she was what she appeared to be. She was an Aiel laywoman, wise, but no miracles...

Alternate, timetraveler.

Jenn? No.

first of all they all died out ~2500+ years ago (at about the same time as the Pact of Rhuiden, few elderly remained)

second, the Jenn never interacted with the Aiel, never gave them advice, Aiel were shunned - Breaking Era Aes Sedai did tell the septs to come to Rhiuden, but by then the Jenn were almost gone, just a few people who remained, serving the last Aes Sedai. Note: for a population to survive with careful breeding and longer generations (2500/35 yr generations = 71.43 generations, lets say 71 generations) without inbreeding it would ~1000 people to last 10 generations, but 2000 seed population for 11 generations and a much larger number for more than that. (note that a person, part of a colony, who's seed population was 1000, after 10 generations would share all the same ancestors as everyone else, far worse than first cousins who only share half of their ancestors)

Also why would the Jenn hide if they lived. Rhuidean was their home, they may have ignored the visitors as the Aiel were shunned, but hide from them? and you are saying that these city living Jenn could hide from the wilderness savvy Aiel, who could track and have a trained eye for combat (most of the visitors to Rhuidean were military, and the most of the non-military visitors would have been almost as skilled in tracking and combat (maybe a few of the wise women were like Sevanna, softer than most Aiel, married young, with little experience in combat or tracking, but a small percent))

Archived