DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Strongest Channelers for the Last Battle

So, reading the thread about Aes Sedai strength, I thought it may be good to review the heavy hitters in terms of OP. Obviously strength in the OP isn't everything, but it is a good indication of ability (more strength means more weaves available like Travelling etc..)

So, I thought before aMoL, it would be interesting to have a look at the strongest channelers (split into male/female) and see what threat or help they may give.

First off, the females, since 13th Depository has a relatively accurate list of ranking for saidar users.

Female:

At the top we have Cyndane: Alivia is her equal strictly in terms of power, however, considering Lanfear's overwhelming experience, I think it is safe to say she can be considered the "strongest" of all the Channelers we have seen. Once thought to be the most powerful a woman could ever be, reduced only a bit, she is certain to provide an interesting story specially considering the ToM Epilogue.

Alivia: Considered on equal terms with Cyndane (power) while she is relatively inexperienced compared to Lanfear, she is still quite skilled, having lived for over 400 years apparently. There is also Min's viewing of her helping Rand to die, which makes her a serious contender for the Last Battle.

Graendal: Another Forsaken, who is quite strong in the Power, just a step below Cyndane and Alivia. Again, Sharina is on par with her in terms of strength, however, like Cyndane/Alivia, Graendal is far more experienced. She has recently been humiliated and punished and pretty angry at Rand for balefiring her pets. Certainly cannot count her out yet.

Sharina: No underline this time, because I am not sure how big a part she will play. She certainly has mystery surrounding her, what with being in Nynaeve's accepted test thing, and her accomplishments with the Exiled Tower, but I cannot see anything that would signify any real importance in the Last Battle at least.

Nynaeve: Currently the strongest woman who has earned the Shawl (although Sharina may not be far behind). A genius healer/ fiercely resilient, friend of the Dragon Reborn and Amyrlin and wife of the King of Malkier. She will certainly be one of the main players at the Last Battle as one of the main characters, her ties to important people let alone her strength in the OP.

Taalan: Another, un-underlined character. Strong in the OP, but I doubt she will be relevant in the LB.

Someyrn: Shaido wise one, she gets mention because I can't remember if she got collared or not. If so, dangerous weapon for the Seanchan, if not, she is gone back home and probably not important.

Moggy: The Spider, while the weakest remaining Forsaken she is still stronger than most channelers around. Also, she has the added bonus of still being alive. Mind-trapped like Cyndane, under Moridin's stern gaze, she could be forced to do some pretty crazy stuff, possibly suicidal, which are always the most dangerous attacks.

Tamela and Viendre: More uncertain ones. A couple of Wise Ones from Rand's Aiel who are a match for Moggy in power. Certainly not even mentioned more than a few times, but their strength and allegiance (or possible DF-ness?) to Rand's Aiel makes them worthy of mentioning.

Aviendha Elayne and Egwene: Put them together because we all know their story and, while extraordinarily strong, do not merit their own paragraph because it would be too long, and in terms of Power, have no chance against the Forsaken, unlike Nynaeve. They are all, however, certainly going to be big players. Possibly some Forsaken falling to them, either linked or by some sweet strategy or luck. Avi being able to read ter'angreal, Wise One and bonded to Rand, Elayne Queen of Andor and Cairhien and carrying Rand's children/bonded, and Egwene, the most powerful woman in the world, the Amyrlin Seat, Watcher of the Seals, Keeper of the Flame (or some such). Each have their own talents and will all be very important.

Now for the Men.

It is a bit harder to judge, as male channeling is not as structured as the female half, and also I don't have a sweet ranking system to refer to. However, I think we can outline the main contenders.

Rand and Moridin: I wanted to do these separately, however, once I gave it a bit of thought, the more I realise that it is perhaps more fitting that they ARE together. They are the two strongest channelers, perhaps the strongest anyone CAN be. Rand, the Dragon Reborn, Lews Therin Telamon, Lord of the Morning. I think this is the one time ever that anyone can actually say that the "Light shines out of his arse". Well, not exactly, but his presence drives away the Darkness and trees literally grow around him. The most important person in the whole series. What more can I say?

Moridin is Rand's counterpart. Literally linked in mind and body, they feel each others pain and are closely intertwined. Moridin cannot be considered any less than Rand. He has access to the True Power of the Dark One, and possibly in constant communication with him. He is Nae'blis, the Highest of the High, overlord of the forces of Shadow, not to mention has a nice stash of ter'angreal and some other nasty surprises up his sleeve. These two will be the main contenders in the Last Battle.

Demandred: My user name aside, he merits this position on the list. If it wasn't for Moridin's position of Nae'blis, connection to Rand and access to the TP, I would consider Demandred the biggest possible threat. Moridin is certainly the strongest in channeling, but Demandred was the "second greatest man of the AoL." (BWB) Graendal herself thinks that if it were not for Lews Therin he would have been the Dragon (the positional Title, not soul traits that Rand possesses.) He is shrouded in mystery, annoyingly so for some, exciting for others. He is only a tad behind Rand and Moridin in power, probably the 3rd post powerful channeler alive (that we have seen). This, combined with his talent and unknown status makes him 2nd on the list.

Taim/Logain: Arguably the two most powerful 3rd age male channelers. Both claimed to be the Dragon Reborn, both come close to Rand in the Power. The two men are the leaders of the two factions (named after said men) of the Black Tower, arguably the most dangerous force in the world . (Certainly in terms of sheer power) Theories about his identity aside, even if it does turn out he is Moridin, Taim, as we have seen him, is a character in and of his own. Most certainly a darkfriend, he has access to some unusual... options. Men who attend his "special classes" come back stronger than ever. Most likely turning people to the Shadow via 13x13 and official M'hael of the Black Tower, he is certainly a force to be reckoned with. Logain is the only one with the power to defy Taim, inspires loyalty among the "good" Asha'man, and has a particularly benevolent relationship with Aes Sedai (his people the ones who bonded Aes Sedai) at least in relation to other Asha'man. Destined for some unknown glory, he is someone with the potential for greatness for the Light or Shadow.

Narishma: While certainly not one of the most powerful Asha'man, he is one of the most powerful we know of. Aside from getting through by default, he does have a legitimate right to a place on the list. He is most famous for his relationship with Callandor. Twice has Narishma wielded the Crystal Blade. One of the only remaining Asha'man under Rand's personal authority, healed by Nynaeve of the taint induced madness and possibly has learned from a 400 year old Rand Sedai. He has also been the subject (arguably) of prophecy as "the one who comes after". Certainly someone to watch out for in aMoL.

Damer Flinn: Again, probably not among the most powerful Asha'man, Also again, he warrants his own place on the list being perhaps the only channeler comparable to Nynaeve in Healing. Discovered the male version to heal severing, and saved Rand's life by temporarily sealing his dagger wound. It is also worth noting his contribution at the Cleansing, he fended of Demandred (although it was unexpected, and he was linked) and was the only Asha'man given control of a circle, which, considering Aes Sedai temperament and the general distrust of male channelers, is something that is quite unique.

Other Asha'man to watch for:

Naeff: Noted to be particularly strong with Air, and involved in quite a lot of the events in tGS and ToM, he was the first to be healed of madness and is Rand's envoy to the Black Tower. Withthe possibility of training under Rand, while his limited presence does not warrant a coveted underlined place, he nevertheless is worth mentioning.

Sandomere Donalo:One of the strongest of Logain's supporters. Not seen alot, but mentioned as Logain's staunch ally, he was among the 3 "privileged" or trusted enough to accompany Logain on his mysterious mission.

Welyn Kajima: Another of Logain's strongest supporters, went with Logain on his "scouting trip" with Donalo and Mezar.

Mezar: Third of the trio of Logain's most loyal and strongest. I separate him for obvious reasons, the other two's fate is unknown, but it seems Mezar has been turned 13x13. To even be considered worthy of the effort it would take makes him a worth mentioning.

Mishraile: Handsome blonde and arrogant. Probably a dreadlord, certainly one of Taim's cronies, Mishraile is quite strong, enough to be high enough in Taim's council, one of the first of his flunkies to be mentioned. Famous for boasting and revealing more than he should, it is possible he was the messenger Moridin sent to Graendal in tGS Prologue. Most famous for getting smacked over the head for talking too much. Last mentioned in ToM.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Yeah, Moiraine doesn't get a place in this list. As the title says, This is not a list of important characters, It is a list of the strongest channelers alive, and what importance they may or may not have. As mentioned, obviously one does not have to be a strong channeler to be important, or else I would have added Mat, Perrin, Min, Lan etc.. This is specifically for powerful channelers, since they will be the most effective assets in a general sense.

Even old Moiraine would not make it on to the list.

Why it is focused on channeling/strength?

Well, why not? A new topic and different perspectives possibly. But generally because most of the mysteries of the series are based on Channelers, and most of those who have made discoveries or innovations have been very strong in the Power.

Even though Mat and Perrin are special, the OP is going to be a main focus for winning the LB.

Basically, these are the people who have the most potential to stand out and do amazing things.

Moggy: The Spider while weakest of the female Forsaken (and likely weakest of the 13) she is still stronger than most channelers around. Also, she has the added bonus of still being alive. Mind-trapped like Cyndane, under Moridin's stern gaze, she could be forced to do some pretty crazy stuff, possibly suicidal, which are always the most dangerous attacks.

This old chestnut. Is there actually any evidence to support it now? If not, I wish people would stop trotting it out as fact.

Sandomere/Donalo:Two of the strongest of Logain's supporters. Not seen a lot, but mentioned as Logain's staunch allies, they were among the 3 "privileged" or trusted enough to accompany Logain on his mysterious mission.
Actually, these two are the same person: Donalo Sandomere. Edited by Mr Ares

Only 6 are stronger than Nynaeve. I would guess that Cyndane, Alivia, Graendal, Sharina, and Semirhage are 5 of those 6. Yes, I know Brandon Sanderson said he was "pretty sure" that Semirhage was weaker, but I think she might still be one of the 6.

Moghedien is not one of the 6, and I doubt Mesaana is either. Maybe Lanfear is one, but she's actually Cyndane.

Edited by Nightstrike

Moggy: The Spider while weakest of the female Forsaken (and likely weakest of the 13) she is still stronger than most channelers around. Also, she has the added bonus of still being alive. Mind-trapped like Cyndane, under Moridin's stern gaze, she could be forced to do some pretty crazy stuff, possibly suicidal, which are always the most dangerous attacks.

This old chestnut. Is there actually any evidence to support it now? If not, I wish people would stop trotting it out as fact.

Sandomere/Donalo:Two of the strongest of Logain's supporters. Not seen a lot, but mentioned as Logain's staunch allies, they were among the 3 "privileged" or trusted enough to accompany Logain on his mysterious mission.
Actually, these two are the same person: Donalo Sandomere.

1. This is in reference to the Forsaken that are still alive, the insert I say (likely). She IS the weakest of the remaining women. Cyndane and Graendal are stronger, I would say that is clear. Graendal is certainly very powerful, she is suprised that Cyndane could be, thinking it was "very rare" for a woman to be as strong as her even in the AoL. Considering Moggy only matched Nynaeve when she hadn't even reached her full power, it is pretty certain she is the weaker. Did change it to make it clearer though.

2. Thanks for that. I always get that wrong haha. Who was the third one again?

Only 6 are stronger than Nynaeve. I would guess that Cyndane, Alivia, Graendal, Sharina, and Semirhage are 5 of those 6. Yes, I know Brandon Sanderson said he was "pretty sure" that Semirhage was weaker, but I think she might still be one of the 6.

Moghedien is not one of the 6, and I doubt Mesaana is either. Maybe Lanfear is one, but she's actually Cyndane.

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that, so I didn't put it in. Could include people we have yet to see in the text etc...

2. Thanks for that. I always get that wrong haha. Who was the third one again?
You could be thinking of Welyn Kajima.

ahh, thanks. You are correct. Just found the quote:

Towers of Midnight Chapter 46: Working Leather

Where had he (Logain) gone? Why had he taken Donalo, Mezar and Welyn - three of the most powerful Dedicated loyal to him- along?

Considering only Taim's men apart from Logain are promoted to Asha'man, they would most likely be the strongest of all Logain's people. (That we know of)

Egwene essentially blew up Mesaana's brain and made her a drooling on the floor pooping her pants baby forsaken.

I wouldnt say No chance.

Yea she's pretty much dead now. You can't recover from that, and better yet, since her body is alive, her soul can't be transplanted! Balefire death without the balefire!

Egwene essentially blew up Mesaana's brain and made her a drooling on the floor pooping her pants baby forsaken.

I wouldnt say No chance.

Yea she's pretty much dead now. You can't recover from that, and better yet, since her body is alive, her soul can't be transplanted! Balefire death without the balefire!

I agree that Mesaana's soul is basically gone. That does not mean the DO cannot use her body as a puppet, it is still able to channel. The DO is known for possession (He possesses the Fades body Shaidar Haran -If you did not know, RJ said that SH was the DO's shadowy manifestation) he is known for transmigration, putting souls into lifeless bodies. (Aginor, Ishamael, Lanfear, Balthamel) and has unsual control over those that have sworn oaths to him, especially the Forsaken.

That is why I put it in, I am not saying it is likely, but there is definitely enough possibilities there to make it interesting.

(The DO can rip souls out of the bodies, that shouldn't be a problem for him. Eg, Gray Men, Thakandar forged blades)

I agree that Mesaana's soul is basically gone. That does not mean the DO cannot use her body as a puppet, it is still able to channel.

I don't think that just because Mesaana could channel, that anyone the DO shoves inside her would be able to channel. Channeling doesn't appear to be a property of any physiological structure or activity within the body, but rather something to do with the soul that inhabits that body. That sort of why Aran'gar (I think?) was still channeling saidin after he was shoved into the body of a hot chick, instead of suddenly channeling saidar, or not being able to channel at all.

Just a buncha chumps for Rand to jack anyway. No one has ever presented a real threat to him save in the very early novels, and now he actually IS the Dragon reborn. We'll see what they do with Moridin. I assume he'll put up more resistance this time.

Edited by Axon

I agree that Mesaana's soul is basically gone. That does not mean the DO cannot use her body as a puppet, it is still able to channel.

I don't think that just because Mesaana could channel, that anyone the DO shoves inside her would be able to channel. Channeling doesn't appear to be a property of any physiological structure or activity within the body, but rather something to do with the soul that inhabits that body. That sort of why Aran'gar (I think?) was still channeling saidin after he was shoved into the body of a hot chick, instead of suddenly channeling saidar, or not being able to channel at all.

yeah, definitely, I wasn't saying that he would shove a soul in (in regards to the part you mentioned) but somehow control Mesaana (who is still there, just braindead) like a puppet and use her for channeling purposes.

Again, I do not think this is likely, I was just putting it in as a general thing, listing all possibilities, I agree with you personally, but it is something to explore.

Just a buncha chumps for Rand to jack anyway. No one has ever presented a real threat to him save in the very early novels, and now he actually IS the Dragon reborn. We'll see what they do with Moridin. I assume he'll put up more resistance this time.

Pretty obvious that they would fall to Rand. But they could still do some damage to others or other areas.

Rand says himself he will not be fighting the "war" part of the LB, but more of the metaphysical problem with sealing the bore.

Thus, the rest have a chance to do something exciting to the rest of the world while their saviour is away.

• 9 years later...

We need to stop mentioning the dead chosen and the captured damane Moggy. When Aliva becomes Aes Sedai she will be the top women in power in herself at 1(+12). Then Sharena has the same potential as Talaan up to 2(+11). Nyneave is is currently 4(+9) with her potential going to 3(+10). Remember Siuan and Leane explained to Nyneave and Elayne how the hierarchy also is measured too be who spent the least time as a Novice and Accepted. Also, who or what entity put any sister in charge. However, to continue Egwene was forced to her Potential of 8(+5) and Elayne's Potential is the same 8(+5) and it is been hinted that Bode Cauthon has the same Potential as Egwene and Elayne. If Nicola Treehill lived she would've been the next with the Potential  Next is Cadsuane 5(+8) then Aviendha reached her strength of 11(2) already.

Concerning Moiraine she is 66(54) however, based on her comment after being saved by Matt, Tom, and Noal the angreal she has would make her stronger or more powerful than her 13(1) level which in the beginning she and Siuan stood the highest (just as Lelaine, Romanda, and Eliada.) Let's not forget Jancy and Elle who according to Verin would have high Potentials. At this time Nyneave Sedai stands the highest and lastly, Cadsuane in the Amyrlin Seat so though she is in the upper levels her potential is meaningless. 

Lamont K. Pippins, RN, MSN/ED, BSN, NIHSS

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, lkpippins said:

We need to stop mentioning the dead chosen and the captured damane Moggy. When Aliva becomes Aes Sedai she will be the top women in power in herself at 1(+12). Then Sharena has the same potential as Talaan up to 2(+11). Nyneave is is currently 4(+9) with her potential going to 3(+10). Remember Siuan and Leane explained to Nyneave and Elayne how the hierarchy also is measured too be who spent the least time as a Novice and Accepted. Also, who or what entity put any sister in charge. However, to continue Egwene was forced to her Potential of 8(+5) and Elayne's Potential is the same 8(+5) and it is been hinted that Bode Cauthon has the same Potential as Egwene and Elayne. If Nicola Treehill lived she would've been the next with the Potential  Next is Cadsuane 5(+8) then Aviendha reached her strength of 11(2) already.

Concerning Moiraine she is 66(54) however, based on her comment after being saved by Matt, Tom, and Noal the angreal she has would make her stronger or more powerful than her 13(1) level which in the beginning she and Siuan stood the highest (just as Lelaine, Romanda, and Eliada.) Let's not forget Jancy and Elle who according to Verin would have high Potentials. At this time Nyneave Sedai stands the highest and lastly, Cadsuane in the Amyrlin Seat so though she is in the upper levels her potential is meaningless. 

Lamont K. Pippins, RN, MSN/ED, BSN, NIHSS

Elayne, Egwene and Aveindha have the same potential, with Aviendha only presently the weakest because of time and training.    Every woman increases in strength in a steady line (unless forced).   Eventually, say in 5 years or even longer, Aviendha will be able to handle the same amount of Saidar as Elayne and Egwene.    

I don't give a lot a credit to those hierarchy power lists, as some have been proven wrong but still keep getting  regurgitated over and over.   For ages people were saying Cadsuane was more powerful than Egwene and Elayne, but it's simply not true. 

Cads may be more skilled though after 300 years of practice, and Cads is most definitely at her maximum potential already.   So I guess there is that.  But eventually Elayne will be stronger and Eqwene already is..

When in doubt, go with what is  acrually written in the books themselves, and preferably written by Jordan himself.