DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Watch This

Some of you might have already seen this. It's pretty busy going viral on Facebook and YouTube. For those of you that haven't, take 30 minutes of you day and watch this. Really. And show it to others. It'll be a good move, I promise.

I've been reading quite a lot about this over the past day or so. I think the article makes some valid points. But it's finances aren't that different to most charities- at one point 89p of every pound donated to the UK charity Oxfam was being spent on administrative costs.

If you don't agree with Invisible Children's stance on where their money goes (I don't think NFPs should be giving money to military organisations, so I probably wouldn't donate) then that's totally cool. The guy suggests other charities on his blog, which is awesome.

But I don't think a campaign that tackles awareness more than anything else is a bad thing. Do I think that the video could be a touch less emotive and more informative? Yes. But 24 hours ago I didn't really know who Joseph Kony was, so I won't say that it isn't in some way affective.

Regardless of whether or not you're going to support KONY 2012, I think a basic awareness of who this guy is is a good thing. People can't do anything, regardless of their opinion, if they don't know anything about it.

the problem is today, if something isn't presented dramatic and emotional enough, no one pays attention or gives the issue enough weight. Governments don't move untill masses of citizens make a huge deal out of something, masses of people don't move until they are assured they're not at risk of being 'singled' out and can feel safe in the numbers. Always, it takes a few individuals with balls to get things rolling. A few with courage to take the risk. Most people are basically sheep and need the 'herd' to feel safe, no matter what it is they do. That goes for good things, but also for bad. And if we feel that 'no one is doing it' or 'it's the same everywhere' or 'we can't change anything', then that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy which is exactly what those craving power (wether it's politicians or dictators) prey upon. They count on it and they are being proven right each and every time.

Many charities spend too much money on their personel costs and it's an abomination but unfortunately it's also the only way it's working untill we find enough people to want to do it differently. I know of people working in corrupted nations towards human aid that are forced to feed the corruption in order to be able to just get to the people they're trying to aid. It's utterly hypocritical and counter productive, but unless we find enough people with the right mindset and big enough balls to stand against it, standing to the side muttering about it without doing something will never change anything for sure.

Archived