DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the throne, realy?

kght22

in general we know that the crystal throne is a ter'angreal. and the only ruler in the known world that would be murderous because rand sat on their seat is a seanchan ruler. rand can pick it up, he has a close friend who is seanchan and can channel. and if the crystal throne is what i think it is (the tamyrlin's seat) being as the tamyrlin also controls "the rods of dominion" it makes one wonder what such a revered chair might be able to do (amyrlin seat. that chair doesn't seem to do anything) but the title comes from an obvious source, why call it a seat, unless the chair was recognizable. and perhaps the empress of seanchan (may she live forever) sits on this throne/seat. i would still doubt it had been used with the power in generations. if it has been used it was probably used to cause the brain twist that most seanchan seem to have (you can ignore enslaved channelers, seanchan people are indoctrinated happily into a caste system that includes slaves, and even the slaves have more rights than the channelers with the spark.

I think RJ ruled out the CT being the Tamyrlin's Seat or some quote to that effect exists?

Correct

RJ's blog 10 December 2005 "THIS AND THAT"

- The Crystal Throne is not the High seat of the Tamyrlin

As for the "Rods of Dominion" they were regional governors in the AoL. LTT was not able to control but to "summon them".

RJ must have been grinning when he wrote this answer. The answer is true, but it is not the truth you think. The Chystal Throne couldn't have been the High seat of the Tamyrlin, because the Tamyrlin never existed!

"The Ring of Tamyrlin" was only mentioned in the Prologue of tEotW and it's the only time that Tamyrlin was mentioned. "The Tamyrlin" wasn't mentioned anywhere. "The Tamyrlin" could be a title or a profession; "Tamyrlin" is a name.

The only information I could find in my books was that LTT once wore "the Ring of Tamyrlin". When looking for more information about that Ring I discovered a summary of the Prologue of tEotW on encyclopaedia-wot.org and I found this note:

According the expanded glossary in "To the Blight", the Ring of Tamyrlin was an object of the One Power created by the first person who learned to channel.

Now, assuming that Tamyrlin was a name, the question was wrong; not the answer.

We can still ask if the Chrystal Throne was the throne of the "First Among Servants" or of Lews Therin Telamon, but I bet we will get a big, fat RAFO.

RJ must have been grinning when he wrote this answer. The answer is true, but it is not the truth you think. The Chystal Throne couldn't have been the High seat of the Tamyrlin, because the Tamyrlin never existed!

"The Ring of Tamyrlin" was only mentioned in the Prologue of tEotW and it's the only time that Tamyrlin was mentioned. "The Tamyrlin" wasn't mentioned anywhere. "The Tamyrlin" could be a title or a profession; "Tamyrlin" is a name.

The only information I could find in my books was that LTT once wore "the Ring of Tamyrlin". When looking for more information about that Ring I discovered a summary of the Prologue of tEotW on encyclopaedia-wot.org and I found this note:

According the expanded glossary in "To the Blight", the Ring of Tamyrlin was an object of the One Power created by the first person who learned to channel.

Now, assuming that Tamyrlin was a name, the question was wrong; not the answer.

We can still ask if the Chrystal Throne was the throne of the "First Among Servants" or of Lews Therin Telamon, but I bet we will get a big, fat RAFO.

Yes, that is exactly what the Ring of the Tamyrlin is/was, the first OP object made by the person who discovered how to channel.

Since we haven't seen it in action, we can't tell whether to classify it as angreal, ter'angreal, or sa'angreal. The one unique property that we know it has is that it requires a channeler to function, but it will work for either sex. We can infer from the fact that even the Aes Sedai of the AOL did not know whether Tamyrlin was male or female that he/she existed so far in the past that he/she was only a dim legend and that the Ring is very old indeed and has somehow managed to survive through every upheaval between its making and the Age of Legends.

My own personal theory is that it still exists and still has a part to play. I think it is the small, rather plain ring that Graendal found among Sammael's stash.

I'm pretty sure that at some stage, in a Graendal POV when she was meeting with Sammael, that she refers to that ring as an Angreal attuned to females, not particularly strong but enough to surprise the other Forsaken if they attack her. I would think she would recognise it if it was the ring of Tamyrlin and so would Sammael, when he noted that it was not what Graendal usually wore (ie. fancy with stones and of high quality etc.).

I'm pretty sure that at some stage, in a Graendal POV when she was meeting with Sammael, that she refers to that ring as an Angreal attuned to females, not particularly strong but enough to surprise the other Forsaken if they attack her. I would think she would recognise it if it was the ring of Tamyrlin and so would Sammael, when he noted that it was not what Graendal usually wore (ie. fancy with stones and of high quality etc.).

beyond that, wouldn't graendal recognize such an object?

EDIT: pah jumped the gun, you mentioned that.

• 2 weeks later...

Would the Aes Sedai of the AoL use a throne to make people bow and scrape to them? I have doubts, its certainly in the realm of compulsion if not exactly the same. Seems to me the Crystal Throne was likely to have been a Ter Angreal made by the Dark, probably as an aid to governance of conquered territories.

Would the Aes Sedai of the AoL use a throne to make people bow and scrape to them? I have doubts, its certainly in the realm of compulsion if not exactly the same. Seems to me the Crystal Throne was likely to have been a Ter Angreal made by the Dark, probably as an aid to governance of conquered territories.

Or some ter'angreal made for s specific purpose that is now being used for something else. Like the binders=-oath rods or the chair of punishment or the testing arches ter'angreal in the WT.The Crystal Throne may even have been made by the Light to help channelers learn how to recognise, and deal with Compulsion - Rj did say that Semirhage had immunity to the effect.

Archived