DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WOT audio series

HomelessHobbit

Yeah I am in his Facebook group and nearly told him he's much better than Kate, until I discovered they're married :P. Try the Felix Castor series too, he narrates those solo and does an amazing job.

I listen to the WoT audiobooks regularly throughout the day, on my first run through now averaging a book per week. Agreed they take longer than reading the books, but I can't read while driving or mowing the lawn!

Oh, and so true about the names. Birgitte is another, Michael calls her Burr-get, Kate calls her Burr-git-ta.

Untill I got all the audio book chapterized it was tough to read and listen to them. By that I mean I enjoy reading the book on the weekend with my wife and then during the week I just go to the chapter I left off at.

But before I had them chapterized I could not read at all bc it was too difficult to find my spots in the audio file.

I will have to look up Castor, thanks for the recommendation.

I do!! The audiobooks are AWESOME! I listened to the series (except ToM, read that in hardcover) last year and now I have begun re-listening to the whole series in preparation for AMoL (gonna time it so I finish literally the day AMoL comes out =D). So I've been listening to the audiobooks for almost 2 years straight now haha.

The first 2 audiobooks are a little rough. They don't quite get the voices down, or the flow of RJ's writing style, and the pronunciations change (Kate especially was screwing up pronunciations in the first couple books). But it seems like with the 3rd book they got on a roll from there on out. All the pronunciations are consistent between both the narrators and they get RJ's flow just right.

I use a plugin for Windows Media Player that lets you play a slideshow of pictures while you are listening to stuff. There's so much good WoT art out there...I spent months collecting all the best pictures (I'm up to 34 now) and it really increases the enjoyment being able to look at those while I listen.

The only disadvantage is that most people read 2-3x faster in their heads than the narrators speak. So if time constraints are a concern reading is definitely the way to go.

Yes, it is definitely much slower than reading the books directly. I found this out when I was following along with the reading, and my eyes would read ahead unless I stopped them. But the advantages of the audiobooks are in its ability to allow you to do other things. I listen to them on the way to work, and occasionally while I work. They're especially nice on long road trips.

I think the Audio books are fantastic, I caught so much detail in hearing them speak. You can also be happy to know that the same two people have done the voice recordings for this series since book 1, so it flows well from book to book. There were a few changes in pronounciation, Moggy being the most obvious. I loved how well they developed each character's voice, as you could tell who was talking by just the voice yet it all still sounded like the same reader, not some voice actor doing every character in a cartoon.

I didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already said but it's worth pointing out that the man and woman in the audio books are actually married, which I would think has a lot to do with their solid chemistry and consistancy. Michael Kramer and Kate Reading's real names are Nick Bernard and Jennifer Mendenhall.

The only other thing that got to me was the audiobooks in Brandon's books. While words on a page probably wouldn't read much differently, he writes a lot of 'he said/she said' after every line of dialogue.

"Hello!" Rand said. "Where have you been you woolhead!" Min said. "I was away doing stuff!" Rand said.

This tends to get a little obnoxious, but not intolerable.

It was actually RJ who said the Andoran should sound British, I think. TR is more like Ireland or something.

Anyhoo, I happen not to appreciate the audiobooks too much, myself. I only heard TGS and ToM, but both times it sounded a bit off. Kate's Egwene isn't how I imagined her, and the same goes for pretty much every character. I find that I simply don't enjoy the books as much if I'm listening rather than reading - perhaps because it leaves less for my imagination. To each his own, I guess.

Yeah I am in his Facebook group and nearly told him he's much better than Kate, until I discovered they're married :P. Try the Felix Castor series too, he narrates those solo and does an amazing job.

I listen to the WoT audiobooks regularly throughout the day, on my first run through now averaging a book per week. Agreed they take longer than reading the books, but I can't read while driving or mowing the lawn!

Oh, and so true about the names. Birgitte is another, Michael calls her Burr-get, Kate calls her Burr-git-ta.

I just thought of another. About halfway through the series, Rhuidean switches from ROY-DE-ON to REW-ID-E-ON.

Woman reader (Kate Reading) sometimes gets annoying because she reads the female characters so well and they're sometimes annoying. Michael Kramer is awesome!

Best thing about the audiobooks is that if you listen to them on the iPod or on your smartphone (Android or iOS) you can listen at 2x speed or even 3x speed, so listening to them is as fast as reading them. Audible is the best way to go for me. Each audiobook is WAY cheaper that way, and Audible's Android app is great (it remembers where I left off, allows me to create bookmarks, and allows for faster listening). Perfect for my commute.

I read the actual book the first time and I listen to them on my "re-reads" and get way more out of it, and also miss stuff that I got while reading.

The only downsides are the occasional annoying female portrayal, and the difference in pronunciation from book to book. Not just Moghedien, but many other words too. They literally use the same pronunciation for Domani (people from Arad Domon) and damane (the collared Seanchan). It is a bit off putting, but I've learned to live with it :).

The only downsides are the occasional annoying female portrayal, and the difference in pronunciation from book to book. Not just Moghedien, but many other words too. They literally use the same pronunciation for Domani (people from Arad Domon) and damane (the collared Seanchan). It is a bit off putting, but I've learned to live with it :).

This drives me insane. What is the correct pronunciation for Damane?

Michael Kramer and Kate Reading doing a great job. Im from Sweden and i did lissen to the first 9 books (18 in Swe) and after that i did buy the orginal Audiobooks. The different between the English and Swedish version is lightyear wide. The acting, the interesting voices from Michael Kramer and Kate Reading is just a pure joy to lissen to.

Sorry for my bad English....like i did say.. im Swedish and Enlish isn´t my native language.

This drives me insane. What is the correct pronunciation for Damane?

I agree that both words are pronounced the same, but it was never really a problem because the context of each word rarely allowed the terms to be confused for me.

Early on, I found that with so many characters I was losing track of who was who, most notably with Aes Sedai. Just a few examples:

Alanna (AH-LAH-NUH), Leane (LEE-AH-NUH), ane Liandrin (LEE-AHN-DRIN)

Annoura (AH-NOR-UH), Anaiya (AH-NIE-UH), and Elaida (AH-LIE-DUH)

Elayne (EL-ANE) and Lelaine (LEL-ANE)

Early on when most of these characters are barely developed and you're meeting so many for the first time, you tend to forget which is which.

Absolute worst one I've found is Colavaere. That chapter where Min finds her body is pure pain as her name is said 12 times in 9 sentences. Michael's got it down: Kola-VEER, but Kate's Kola-VAYAIREY gave me palpitations.

I have all the WoT series audiobooks (except new spring) and i love them. I listen to them as i drive to work and at work pretty much every day all day. I gone through them about 4 - 5 times now. I didnt like the way the Eye of the World was, but Kate and Michael got alot better in the later books.

Just annoying every once in a while when they say a wrong word or mispronounce names they got right 5 minutes earlier, but it doesnt happen very much. Plus the new app for android you can play them back at variable speeds (audible app).

I have all the WoT series audiobooks (except new spring) and i love them. I listen to them as i drive to work and at work pretty much every day all day. I gone through them about 4 - 5 times now. I didnt like the way the Eye of the World was, but Kate and Michael got alot better in the later books.

Just annoying every once in a while when they say a wrong word or mispronounce names they got right 5 minutes earlier, but it doesnt happen very much. Plus the new app for android you can play them back at variable speeds (audible app).

Do you want new spring? let me know.

I've been doing a reread and am using the Audiobooks in my offtime of reading. I like them for the most part, as they tend to show more of the emotion that I failed to catch during reading. It's a lot easier to interpret Rand's coldness when his voice sounds cold, and it's not just the book telling me so.

The only thing I have an issue with is some of the the pronunciations. I've heard Moghedien's name pronounced 3 different ways. I just wish they had a correct list of pronunciations.

If there is a pronunciation problem then you have to blame whoever had editorial control of the production at the time of creation. I remember watching HP&TSS when it came out, before I read the books. I KNEW! at the time that Jo had editorial input in the movies, and in the very first movie I KNEW that Ron and Hermione were gonna end up together.

When you are talking about something as consuming as a saga as great (as in size) as TWoT and HP and TSoI&F, then the creator, or a trusted friend will engage in editorial oversight to keep any adaptation true to the original form.

Michael Kramer and Ms. Reading (which is actually his wife) are by far the best narrators out there. I listen to about 1-2 books per week and I wish there were more non-fiction books by them (yes, I'm lucky to have a job that lets me to this at the moment; doesn't require a lot of thinking, unfortunatelyrolleyes.gif). The only drawback on listening audio books is that when you try to spell names you look like a complete idiot (this is from my personal experience too) rolleyes.gif

They are voice actors not narrators. They assume roles and perform them, purely in voice granted, but they are voice actors, and it's a lot more difficult to deliver that than simply delivering a reliable monotone like most "narrators" or "Readers." If you ever listened "The Sword of Truth" series, you know what I mean.

I signed up for an Audible gold account about 18 months ago for the express purpose of getting through Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams. I found that just reading the books I was getting bored and reading through entire chapters without really paying attention. I ended up quite enjoying the presentations and am considering re-reading the series via the audiobooks. I've since listened to a dozen or so other audiobooks and agree that Kramer and Reading are two of the better readers out there. I blew through Towers of Midnight but still went back and listened to the audiobook. I suppose I will do the same when Memory of Light is finally released.

I signed up for an Audible gold account about 18 months ago for the express purpose of getting through Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams. I found that just reading the books I was getting bored and reading through entire chapters without really paying attention. I ended up quite enjoying the presentations and am considering re-reading the series via the audiobooks. I've since listened to a dozen or so other audiobooks and agree that Kramer and Reading are two of the better readers out there. I blew through Towers of Midnight but still went back and listened to the audiobook. I suppose I will do the same when Memory of Light is finally released.

I also used audible. the have good discounts if you wait for the monthly credits.

Been listening to Kramer and Reading for about 8 or 9 years. I read the books and listen to the audio. I've read the books about 10 times and listened about 6 times. I think that the greatest Voice actor is Humphrey Bower(not sure if that is correct spelling). He reads all of Bryce Courtenay's books,"The Power of One,' 'Tandia,' the Solomon Trilogy, etc. He can do any accent or dialect, i have heard him do 6 different accents in a discussion, from Afrikaans, to South african British, to different Bantu intonations all at once as the characters are in a discussion.

Been listening to Kramer and Reading for about 8 or 9 years. I read the books and listen to the audio. I've read the books about 10 times and listened about 6 times. I think that the greatest Voice actor is Humphrey Bower(not sure if that is correct spelling). He reads all of Bryce Courtenay's books,"The Power of One,' 'Tandia,' the Solomon Trilogy, etc. He can do any accent or dialect, i have heard him do 6 different accents in a discussion, from Afrikaans, to South african British, to different Bantu intonations all at once as the characters are in a discussion.

i man have to check this guy out

Archived