DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travelling

Turin Turambar

Aha! gotcha. You thought this was where you would learn the weave for travelling so you could save on airfare and those crazy bag fees. Not so fast my friend. Here you all can tell the rest of us about your travel experiences, both good and bad. You can also mention places you would like to visit and perhaps why.

I remember going to the USS Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. It was a beautiful Hawaiian day. I just remember it being (or feeling) so quiet.

Have fun seeing this wonderful world of ours.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*travels to the new thread*

So this thread is about RL-travelling? Boring. But I can say I'd like to see Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon once.

*travels back to his secret house, where he makes all his plans to take over world power together with some other people*

I have just copied this from the Aiel SG where we have a thread like this.

I can tell you my Paris story:

This was like 10 years ago. I had lived in Oslo for 6 month and my sister had lived in Oakland for a year so we where happy to finally meet again. We wanted to do something fun together so we booked a trip to Paris. I like to watch museums and visit theaters but my sister is not interested in culture at all. All she wanted was to see Mona Lisa.

When we came to the airport outside Paris we tried to get a bus but we couldn´t find any. We asked a lot of people but they all pointed to different directions. After a long time we understood that there weren´t going any buses that day cos the bus drivers was on strike. Luckily a Norweigan woman recognized us from the plane and asked us if we wanted to share a taxi.

So after a long time we finally arrived at the youth hostel. When we checked in (or tried) we was informed that something had got wrong with our reservation and that the hostel was full. No! After a lot of arguing we got an address to a hotel nearby. We went there and a worker took us to a room in a house that was not the hotel. The room had three beds and one was taken. We didn´t have a good feeling about that place but what could we do? We were getting really hungry so we went out just to see that almost every restaurant was closed. We ended up sitting on a bench in a park eating take away pizza from Pizza Hut.

New day. (We had met the lady that we shared room with. She happened to be Swedish and quite nutty. Luckily she moved on our second day in Paris.) Lets do some sightseeing. So of to the metro. But metro didn´t work cos the workers there where on strike. Yes, that´s right... I can say that we used our feet a lot the following days. Ok - walking to Louvre. Time for Mona Lisa. But it just happened that Louvre was closed cos the workers there... yes, you can guess it now...was on strike!

The rest of the trip actually was quite good. We visited the Eiffel tower and a lot of nice churches. The shopping was a little bit to expensive for us but we eat lot of good food. And in spite of all disasters (or maybe because of) we had a really good time.

Now this is a memory that we laugh at and we say to ourself - well, next journey can´t be worse! :laugh:

I've been to the top of Mount Olympus...well nearly the top, the Greeks wouldn't let us go to the very top as it was raining really hard and the path had become dangerous, but I wasn't that far off. One day I will go back and get to the top and say hi to Zeus and his cronies!

Awesme stories so far. I have one similar to Tina's. I was stationed in Saratoga, NY. One Friday night we decide we want to do something fun. Let's go to the Statue of Liberty. We get done with work at midnight and head for the city. 3 hours in the rain, we get to Battery Park where the ferry is.... It's 2nd of July, 1986 and the entire Ellis Island complex is closed because the president is going to be speaking July 4th and secret Service shut down the whole place to setup security.

We end up driving around Manahattan and finally get hungry but the only thing open is a White Castle with bullet proof glass at the counter. We get food and go, eating in the car. Still laugh at it but it sucked.

my best friend's from saratoga springs. well, ballston spa, but same thing. lovely place. i usd to visit there before she and her husband settled down here.

i don't ever travel anywhere willingly (like, not even out the door if i can help it), but i was forced to go to st thomas for my 21st birthday. and i could have lived the rest of my life there. perfect beaches, perfect ocean. nothing more necessary for life.

i flew. i don't like flying, but it wasn't my call. but we boated around to the other islands. st thomas was my favorite. only ever got out of the water for the mid day rains, and then right back in. the water's so clear, you can see right to the bottom as long as you;re in the bay, so i floated out a bit too far a couple of times without realizing it. made it back, tho. it was very nice. i live way too far from the beach. :madmyrddraal:

I've been to the top of Mount Olympus...well nearly the top, the Greeks wouldn't let us go to the very top as it was raining really hard and the path had become dangerous, but I wasn't that far off. One day I will go back and get to the top and say hi to Zeus and his cronies!

*has much jealousy* I want to do that!

Let's see I've been up and down the west coast of the US, and to Germany, France, and the Czech Republic. Germany was fun till one of the exchange boys hooked up with my host sister. THEN it got teenage and emo. *big sigh* Prague is beautiful once you get into the old town and up toward the castle. France is...well full of French, I always heard people in France were rude and they didn't let me down...course in there defense the Americans with me at the time were being rude as well. So I guess it worked out both ways. Although everyone was nice to me, but I think that had more to do with the fact I wasn't being rude to everyone else. I used German more then English when I was out and about and most people spoke German everywhere I was except in Prague, but they mostly speak English there so it was no big.

lol, i found that one on the beach search. turns out there are not so many. so i searched water and swim and got some cats in pools, but none in the salt. i remember a cool video of a cat on a dolphin boat playing with a dolphin... or maybe they were trying to decide who wastop of the food chain.

(your post is making me want to post a dylan song about traveling, rashe, but i'll controll myself...)

um... nope, can't sorry, it's on topic. and it's bob.

(but i'll leave the video for another time - it is beautiful, but... noone here loves the bob :( )

When I Paint My Masterpiece

Oh, the streets of Rome are filled with rubble

Ancient footprints are everywhere

You can almost think that you’re seein’ double

On a cold, dark night on the Spanish Stairs

Got to hurry on back to my hotel room

Where I’ve got me a date with Botticelli’s niece

She promised that she’d be right there with me

When I paint my masterpiece

Oh, the hours I’ve spent inside the Coliseum

Dodging lions and wastin’ time

Oh, those mighty kings of the jungle, I could hardly stand to see ’em

Yes, it sure has been a long, hard climb

Train wheels runnin’ through the back of my memory

When I ran on the hilltop following a pack of wild geese

Someday, everything is gonna be smooth like a rhapsody

Sailin’ round the world in a dirty gondola

Oh, to be back in the land of Coca-Cola!

I left Rome and landed in Brussels

On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried

Clergymen in uniform and young girls pullin’ muscles

Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside

Newspapermen eating candy

Had to be held down by big police

Someday, everything is gonna be diff’rent

Archived