DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Insignificant, but Funny, Errors

Athanacropolis

Hey hey what's up? Haven't read "Knife of Dreams" yet, so I haven't scoured these forums as much as I could have (don't want to spoil it) so I don't know if it's been discussed before, but I'm re-reading the series before I get to KoD ('cos I've forgotten too much...almost done with TSR now) and I've noticed two funny (to me, at least) errors. I know a lot of FAQs bring errors up, but I haven't seen these anywhere:

-In "The Great Hunt" Ragan has the triangle-shaped scar on his cheek from the Trolloc arrow, but in "The Dragon Reborn," it jumps off of his cheek to Masema's...interesting!

-It's Jain Farstrider in every book but TDR...there it's JaiM Farstrider. Did I miss something?

Did anyone else notice these? I know I'm obsessive; can't help it! :lol:

My LoC says Saidar. Hehe... Never thought of that.

Maybe it depends on which edition one reads? Mine is the british edition from Orbit books and I know there's one american edition by Tor...

Moric of the Singing Wind sept of the Miagoma Aiel

Guest cwestervelt

Check what printing you have...

I have a first printing of Lord of Chaos from Tor books. (It has the first printing 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 sequence so if it isn't, the publisher lied.) It does say "saidar". It was either an RJ or a Tor Editing/Printing issue not just a misprint in the British Orbit Books edition. People who have copies that say saidin must have later printings in which it was corrected.

Guest cwestervelt

Rand seizing "Saidar" after Alanna bonds him raises another, somewhat unrelated question.

In Winter's Heart Sarene "tells" Shalon that, "The men, they can no longer channel now." This is when Shalon is trying to figure out if Damer, Eben and Jahar are Warders or not. Rand can still channel, Alanna can't even use the bond to compel him. Is it just that Damer, Eben and Jahar are weaker than Rand and being compelled not to channel, or is something else going on?

Guest Egwene

Whithout checking the books... isn't this when they aproach Far Madding? I understood it to mean the border at wich point the power is not working anymore is further out for men than for women.

Guest cwestervelt
Whithout checking the books... isn't this when they aproach Far Madding? I understood it to mean the border at wich point the power is not working anymore is further out for men than for women.

Doh! :oops:

That never even occurred to me. The border is farther out for men. I just wasn't putting it that far out as they haven't actually reached the city yet. Or even the island for that matter. By now I should know better when an Aes Sedai is talking.

i have one (cant remember which book) paper back that says a girl (this was before halima) channeled saidin...as i was still sorta new to the series this confused me until my eyes crossed and i passed out...when i came to i realized it was a typo...

"Athanacropolis: In "The Great Hunt" Ragan has the triangle-shaped scar on his cheek from the Trolloc arrow, but in "The Dragon Reborn," it jumps off of his cheek to Masema's...interesting!"

I think it was in TFOH but i could be wrong, Nynaeve meets Masema and the other Sheinarans while in Luca's show and says that Ragan and Masema have almost identical triangular scars on their face.

i have one (cant remember which book) paper back that says a girl (this was before halima) channeled saidin...as i was still sorta new to the series this confused me until my eyes crossed and i passed out...when i came to i realized it was a typo...

Breathe Cam, it's ok :)

Guest pheobe sedai

i've noticed screw ups before but didn't know ya'll had a place for making fun of them. i dont know how many times i have cought a mistake by the author themselves and wished to say something.it's like seeing a blooper in a movie.

I won't lay errors like this at Jordan's feet except so far as to say he obviously does not care enough about his work to thoroughly proofread galleys.

These are typos that slipped through due entirely to sloppy typesetting, abysmal proofreading and shoddy publishing.

Guest cwestervelt

I wouldn't say that RJ doesn't care. A good half year before its release I remember reading somewhere that Knife of Dreams was going to go through an full editing cycle rather than the abbreviated ones the previous several books received. This was supposed being done at the request of RJ. My thoughts at the time was that it was because of all the typographical errors that had been occurring as some of the books were really bad that way.

Guest cwestervelt

I don't know about international, but for books published in America, look for a series of numbers like "0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" on the page that caries all of the publishing/copyright info. The lowest number in the series indicates the printing. Thus, the series of numbers I used here indicates the book is a first printing.

Edit: This may apply to hardcover only. Not sure if paperback do the same thing. I don't buy those much anymore.

I won't lay errors like this at Jordan's feet except so far as to say he obviously does not care enough about his work to thoroughly proofread galleys.

These are typos that slipped through due entirely to sloppy typesetting' date=' abysmal proofreading and shoddy publishing.[/quote']

This is extremely unreasonable. Anyone who has written a text larger than two pages knows that it is very easy to skip a typo when proofreading, simply because your brain tries to read what SHOULD be written instead of what actually is.

Guest Egwene

I have a brilliant idea... Why don't we offer to proofread??? If they put the manuscript on here, between us we ought to find every mistake. I mean... we wouldn't even charge, would we!! :D

One of my faovorite was in tDR when Mat delivered Elayne's letter to Morgase. Morgase comments about the happy times chatting Sheriam in her study. But when Morgase became queen, after she flunked out of th WT, Sheriam was still an accepted and didn't become an AS untill after the Aiel War.

Archived