DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Big Explosion in Oslo

Haxorsist

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the media treatement of this is disgusting. it seems like each side is expoilting this horrible bombing for their own political agenda. all it does is demean the memories f the victums and legitamize his cause. he's a terrorist, point blank, that really the only thing that matters.

the media treatement of this is disgusting. it seems like each side is expoilting this horrible bombing for their own political agenda. all it does is demean the memories f the victums and legitamize his cause. he's a terrorist, point blank, that really the only thing that matters.

Not sure which parts of the media you're referring to, but I think the way Norwegian Media handled this has been great. The two main news broadcasters (NRK and TV2) went into 24 hours a day news mode with other Norwegian channels focused on Entertainment (TV Norway for example) cancelled their entire programming and just showed recaps of the NRK news.

i'm talkign about he American Media Hallow :tongue:

it seems liek their tryign to turn this into a political thing instead of respecting the victims and their familys. which is disgusting to say the least.

i'm talkign about he American Media Hallow :tongue:

it seems liek their tryign to turn this into a political thing instead of respecting the victims and their familys. which is disgusting to say the least.

Ah right. Yeah I haven't really been paying much attention to the America media in the last few days but yes that is disgusting.

sad to hear this, glad they caught the people responsable.

last i heard the death toll was something like 95 confirmed, and that thier keep the court closed on this case. which i agree with, don't give this jerk a public forum, just give him the death penalty and get justice for the innocents that he killed.

Thankfully we don't have the death penalty in Norway.

This is one of the situations where you should have it. Hopefully, for your sake, he won't become a Samir Kuntar like prisoner that others will be trying to get released.

What a horrible, horrible event. My hearts go out to everyone affected.

The police prosecutor has now said they are considering charging Breivik for crimes against humanity. The definition of crimes against humanity in the Norwegian Penal Code differs somewhat from the definition in the Rome Statues of the ICC. It's not necessary that the crimes were committed as part of government policy. The law applies to where, as part of a systematic attack, a civilian population's basic human rights are violated because of their political convictions. If convicted, Breivik may face 30 years inprisonment.

30 years for 80 murders? That's less than 3 years per life taken. How is this not a life sentence?

sad to hear this, glad they caught the people responsable.

last i heard the death toll was something like 95 confirmed, and that thier keep the court closed on this case. which i agree with, don't give this jerk a public forum, just give him the death penalty and get justice for the innocents that he killed.

Thankfully we don't have the death penalty in Norway.

This is one of the situations where you should have it. Hopefully, for your sake, he won't become a Samir Kuntar like prisoner that others will be trying to get released.

What a horrible, horrible event. My hearts go out to everyone affected.

I disagree, but lets leave it at that.

The police prosecutor has now said they are considering charging Breivik for crimes against humanity. The definition of crimes against humanity in the Norwegian Penal Code differs somewhat from the definition in the Rome Statues of the ICC. It's not necessary that the crimes were committed as part of government policy. The law applies to where, as part of a systematic attack, a civilian population's basic human rights are violated because of their political convictions. If convicted, Breivik may face 30 years inprisonment.

30 years for 80 murders? That's less than 3 years per life taken. How is this not a life sentence?

Most likely he'll get what is called "Forvaring" in Norwegian which in this case would be a life sentence as you're not released until a court decision that states you are no longer a danger to society. Outside of this the standard maximum punishment in Norway is 21 years with 30 years if charged for crimes against humanity.

The prosecution face a bit of a dilemma when it comes to his charges. If he is sentenced to custody (forvaring), the court can sentence him to a maximum of 21 years. The court can set the minimum time served to no longer than 10 years. When the 10 years are up, the courts will have to assess whether he still poses a threat to society and they may lengthen the sentence at 5 year intervals. In theory he could serve life in prison.

If he is sentenced to 30 years in prison, he will have the right to probation after doing 2/3 of his time if he has behaved well during his incarceration. So with the regular prison sentence he could be released in 2031 or he might face imprisonment until 2041. If the sentence is custody, he might be imprisoned for life, but he could also be released in 2021.

Of course, this all depends on whether he is found insane. If that happens he will be locked up in jail or at a psychiatric institution for a long time.

*nods* there is a good chance he will get slapped with the Norwegian equivalent of a 'never to be released' stamp.

Personally I think a bullet would be more appropriate, though perhaps less suffering than he deserves.

why not Maj. i mean, i think it's insane to think that blowing up buildings and shooting people will help your cuase rather than hurt it. the fact that he obviously believes this should be enough to lock him up in a padded room and throw away the key.

i get that it will upset alot of people, but imo since the Death Penalty isn't an option; then the best option is to find him insane and lock him up that way so he doesn't have a chance of getting back out.

it's better than finding him guilty, only to turn around and chance the guy getting out in 10 or so years so he can kill more people to make another statement.

What I think Maj is getting at, is that if he is declared insane he will be found not guilty, which will most likely upset a lot of people.

That, and that you remove the terrorist-label, at a point where groups on the rightwing already believe that non-muslims can't be terrorists.

see this it what i mean by poloticizing it. this is exactly what the media here in the US is doing.

to me, a terrorist is a errorist, no matter what that terrorist believes. to lable them is to legitamize their cause and imo disgraces the memory of the victims. shouldn't we be more concerned with making sure this jackwagon and his accomplices are taken off the streets rather than making sure a buzz word or "name tag" gets posted to the case?

and Maj, your also inncoret on your assumption that people don't believe in right wing terrorists. Oklahoma City bomber for one, and the guy who flew his plane into the US IRS building for two. as well as the sharp shooter in Texas. again, i dont really care what political or religous veiws these guys have because a terrorist is a terrorist and doesn't diserve to be classified along with humans. their less than pond scum imo and should be treated so.

imho, the moment you decide to strap a bomb on your chest or take a gun and kill people to make a statement is the moment you cease tobe allowed the privallege of being considered part of the human race.

i get that it will upset alot of people, but imo since the Death Penalty isn't an option; then the best option is to find him insane and lock him up that way so he doesn't have a chance of getting back out.

it's better than finding him guilty, only to turn around and chance the guy getting out in 10 or so years so he can kill more people to make another statement.

Well, locking him up in a psychatric institution in no way guarantees that he will be locked up for life. The purpose of the involuntary commitment is to treat him. It's not intended to be a form of punishment. If the psychiatrists treating him are convinced he has been 'cured' and that he doesn't pose a risk to the society, he could get released. That might be highly unlikely, but it's also unlikely that he'll only serve 10 years.

In any case, I hope the court approaches the question of his sanity with integrity and respect for the rule of law. If there's one thing I've heard a lot lately, it is that we won't let him change who we are and what we stand for.

^^ i can respect standing on your principles.

even with your defenition of what will happen if he's instatutionalized, it still stands to be the best option imo; as he's less ikely to go and do this again versus if he is released from jail.

and Maj, your also inncoret on your assumption that people don't believe in right wing terrorists. Oklahoma City bomber for one, and the guy who flew his plane into the US IRS building for two. as well as the sharp shooter in Texas. again, i dont really care what political or religous veiws these guys have because a terrorist is a terrorist and doesn't diserve to be classified along with humans. their less than pond scum imo and should be treated so.

Eh, just look at how media handled this. When the first reports came, almost everyone started yapping about how it was obviously islamists, probably Al Quaida (Big cred to Norwegian media, who for the most part stood against that, and was very firm in their Wait until we know-approach). When it became known that the suspect was a christian norwegian, the word terrorist started to disappear, and instead they reported about the killer/murderer/shooter etc. And the day after, shrinks started to appear in media, speculating about what kind of mental issues he must have.

The Guardian had a brilliant piece about the medias handling of the situation, http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/24/charlie-brooker-norway-mass-killings

like i said before Maj, the media has been disgusting on this because they've politicized it from the get go.

because of the amoutn of terrorist attacks done by Al Quada in the past centruy (ie: USS Cole, 9/11, underwear bomber, shoe bomber, london rail system, ect) when everyone hears about a terrorist attack, it's become second nature for most people to assume that it is infact and Al Quada attack. i'm not justifying the media's response, just pointing out the obvious. even the instances of the somalia pirates were first thought to be the work of Al Quada until further info was released.

and calling this monster a christian just show cases the ignorance of the media concerning that religion imo; theres nothing christian about what he did nor does any part of the christian religion advocate doing anything like what he did. also, it depends on what news channel you listen to as to what he's classified as. last i heard, MSABC was fine calling him a "Right Wing Terrorist"

like i've said before, politicizing this hienus act only devalues the memories of those who lost their lives

Thing is, I have, for obvious reasons, mostly followed European media on this (as I do with pretty much everything except the Middle East). And European media should be influenced by what happens in Europe. And guess what, since 2006, less than 1% of the terrorist attacks on European soil has been performed by people claiming to be muslims.

As for his christianity, his actions are just as christian as Al Quaidas actions are muslim. If media does not shy away from having muslim/islam in big fat letters whenever possible, why should they all of a sudden censor themselves when the terrorist happen to be christian?

You can't have different sets of rules for different groups, that is what people like breivik wants.

Archived