DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred

Leyrann

Who is Demandred  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think Demandred is (first read my post, please))

• Lunar Galgan
    • King Roedran
    • Mazrim Taim
    • Jarid Sarand
    • Lord Bashere
    • Someone in Seanchan/Shara/Land of the Madmen
    • Other (please tell who)
  2. 2. Where had Demandred influence

• The Black Tower
    • Murandy
    • Seanchan mainland
    • Seanchan Randland
    • Land of the Madmen
    • Dragon's Empire
    • Borderland army
    • Other (again, please tell where)

You know what the true mystery in all this is? Who are the 14 DMers who believe Demandred is posing as Roedran but has no influence in Murandy :wink:

This was because the question where he had power was added a few days later... I myself unvoted to vote both, but you can't blame people from doing it else, can you?

Hey mate, welcome to DM. Well thought out post but unfortunately RJ has very clearly said that no Taim is not Demandred on more than one occasion.

Thanks, then my vote goes to Roedran. But Taim still is evil.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. And I can tell you that everyone first thought Taim was Demandred. I myself too.

Good that you thought about Roedran yourself, too. I only thought about him when I already knew much about what Robert Jordan said, and then I figured it out by ruling out everyone not possible according to RJ. It is easy with "my rule is secure", what Demandred says in The Gathering Storm (I think the prologue). Then you only have to think about the leaders. And his alter ego has not appeared in the first eleven books or in Towers of Midnight, and we don't know about TGS. Maybe someone should ask it Brandon...

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roedran would be high probability.

A low probability guess is the missing husband of Elayne's rival xyz narow (Forgotten the name) who's disappeared with his army.

The Usurper in Seanchan is another possibility - Dem and Sem did work together.

I'm pretty sure the missing husband was seen at the beginning of LoC. Can't remember his name. As for being the ursuper, well what was he doing until Semirhage killed the empress? Personally I don't think he's impersonating anyone.

A low probability guess is the missing husband of Elayne's rival xyz narow (Forgotten the name) who's disappeared with his army.

No. We were able to find out who he was after WH already.

I'm pretty sure the missing husband was seen at the beginning of LoC. Can't remember his name. As for being the ursuper, well what was he doing until Semirhage killed the empress? Personally I don't think he's impersonating anyone.

Brandon Sanderson has confirmed he has an Alter Ego.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. And I can tell you that everyone first thought Taim was Demandred. I myself too.

Not everyone. I never believed in Taimandred.

Really?

Brandon Sanderson has confirmed he has an Alter Ego.

What!? When did that happen?

Not everyone. I never believed in Taimandred.

Really?

Yes, really. Perhaps mostly because when I read LOC, I got into thinking Demandred was with the whitecloaks. Events in ACOS kinda crushed that idea of coursebiggrin.gif

Personally I think it is Roedran based on his 'deal' with Talmanes and the Comadrin book from AoL that he made copies of which had never been heard of by lords and generals WOT-wide (I'm thinking a possible stasis box recovery), and also something in the description of when Talmanes said about Roedran being about to turn on The Band.

Although, Jarid Sarand is an interesting possibility, I don't think he has been seen 'on screen' even though we have heard about him gallivanting with Elenia's troops during the succession, and I haven't seen theories about him either so could be a possible dark horse.

(I'm thinking a possible stasis box recovery)

Statis boxes are AoL technology, so I personally doubt a copy of Fog and Steel found its way into one, but I guess it's possible some Randlander had one post-Breaking.

Jarid Sarand is an interesting possibility, I don't think he has been seen 'on screen'

Alas, he was among the lords attending Rand's sword-practice session in LoC1.

(I'm thinking a possible stasis box recovery)

Statis boxes are AoL technology, so I personally doubt a copy of Fog and Steel found its way into one, but I guess it's possible some Randlander had one post-Breaking.

Jarid Sarand is an interesting possibility, I don't think he has been seen 'on screen'

Alas, he was among the lords attending Rand's sword-practice session in LoC1.

Ohh yeah, well then in that case he's bound to cause trouble, he must have been among those fawning after 'Gaebril'.

No. We were able to find out who he was after WH already.

In that case, Roedran is the only serious possibility.

We learn in TPoD that dissolute as supposedly he is, R has somehow united Murandy and built an army including hiring Talmanes and the Band.

We don't know much else about him at the time but there are too many other constraining factors that eliminate everyone else as Demandred.

BTW, I believed (rather, hoped) Demandred = Berelain until RJ came up with the "not onscreen" business.

A Forsaken I think would not need a foriegn army to unite a country.

And the uniteing I think would be quick.

Sammael seemed able to get the entire Illian nation to do what he wanted in a short time.

And Demandred probably knows of the Band's connection to Mat.

The Band would have been a good tool for Demandred to either influence or lure Mat.

Instead King Roedran seemed to let the Band go completely free.

Sammael seemed able to get the entire Illian nation to do what he wanted in a short time.

The Band would have been a good tool for Demandred to either influence or lure Mat.

No he tried to turn against them but Talmanes noticed and got them out of there.

No he tried to turn against them but Talmanes noticed and got them out of there.

Also, Murandy was reknowned for it's warring factions with some calling themselves Lugarders and others Mindeans. Not all of the Forsaken are good at Compulsion, if I was Demandred (assuming in Murandy) and had to put up with that nonsense I would have taken the opportunity the Band presented as they and the Aes Sedai army had already caused some of the nobles to unite when Egwene met the bunch of them and changed the border - according to Talmanes - and opened the Novice Book. Mat had already left for Ebou Dar and I don't think D even knew about him back then anyway. For all intents and purposes, Talmanes was in charge of the Band.

Since Demandred works mainly with proxies, I would guess that he was/is good at Compulsion and uses it at least once with each person he works with.

A portion of those proxies might be Light-sided/non-Dark. Slight chance for those to follow Demandred with no Compulsion at all.

King Roedran was impressed with Fog & Steel (a Third Age book).

If it relates to military/war/battle/etc, it probably is about surprise and weapons.

Both of those Demandred probably became good at during the War of Power. I would guess a slight chance of being impressed with book conent he became good at.

King Roedran was impressed with Fog & Steel (a Third Age book).

If it relates to military/war/battle/etc, it probably is about surprise and weapons.

Both of those Demandred probably became good at during the War of Power. I would guess a slight chance of being impressed with book conent he became good at.

Thanks for the info about Fog & Steel. Even so, I think it was from early in the 3rd Age when the art of war had reached it's culmination and that is why the book was rare. I think D would be wise to research how one of his main military contenders uses strategies of war etc. seeing as how he came from a period of time where there was no war (to start with) and that in the War of Power they were on a kind of trial and error learning curve. D was a fast learner and was accounted one of the top generals of the time. This also applies to Rand/LTT which is why he consults with Mat/Rhuarc etc., so that he can base his plans around the best and most relevant (tried and tested) strategies.

The fog and steel issue is one of the major reasons I think demandred is NOT king roedran. The Forsakens arragance in scorning anything that belongs to a (according to them) lesser age is clear to see and Dem seems the most arragont of the bunch, plus the fact he had a copy bound as a gift for Talmanes seems out of charactor, as Dem doesn't seem the giving type. But the biggest reason for him not being roe is Murandy is simply not powerful enough, I have heard the point made that murandy has a very high population but it doesn't wash, to turn a nation that has been divided for centuries into a world power in less than a year is not possable no matter how many people live there. No. I think Dem pulls Taims strings.

The fog and steel issue is one of the major reasons I think demandred is NOT king roedran. The Forsakens arragance in scorning anything that belongs to a (according to them) lesser age is clear to see and Dem seems the most arragont of the bunch, plus the fact he had a copy bound as a gift for Talmanes seems out of charactor, as Dem doesn't seem the giving type. But the biggest reason for him not being roe is Murandy is simply not powerful enough, I have heard the point made that murandy has a very high population but it doesn't wash, to turn a nation that has been divided for centuries into a world power in less than a year is not possable no matter how many people live there. No. I think Dem pulls Taims strings.

Many of the Forsaken are astounded at what these primitive children can accomplish though. I think that as D was a great general, this means he has to be able to accept, improvise and adapt to the circumstances of today and is probably the only one besides Moridin (and perhaps the Gholam) to do this. We certainly haven't seen him rushing in full of pride and arrogance and being defeated like most other Forsaken.

I'm not fussed that you have your opinion and I mine but it is interesting to learn everyone's rationale. So far it hasn't changed my mind but that doesn't mean that my mind is not open. I really think that despite all the theories floating around cyberspace, we won't find out until AMOL but this is still fun. I would like that at least one of my theories (not necessarily this one) will turn out to be correct when all is said and done. :wink:

I just think Dem being roe would be a huge anti-climax and if he was, would most likely get his butt kicked at caemlyn by Mat and be as lame as his peers. Since we've waited so long for him to show himself I hope he will be a badass and give us some suspence and give our heros something to sweat about. I think that being in control of all DF channellers would fit into that. I maybe wrong but wasn't the 80 and 1 something along those lines.

Most of the astonishment seems related to the One Power.

True but we are not always told everything. I'm pretty sure that Semi would have been unpleasantly surprised at Mat's anhilation of big numbers of Seanchan who may lose battles but never wars. We just didn't hear about it because she was off in Seanchan on a murderous rampage.

I just think Dem being roe would be a huge anti-climax and if he was, would most likely get his butt kicked at caemlyn by Mat and be as lame as his peers. Since we've waited so long for him to show himself I hope he will be a badass and give us some suspence and give our heros something to sweat about. I think that being in control of all DF channellers would fit into that. I maybe wrong but wasn't the 80 and 1 something along those lines.

What's the 80 and 1? It makes me think of 'the 9 pieces of 8' (Pirates of the Caribbean).

Archived