DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what happened to Narishma

Nighttrain

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Louii, the title 'dragon' was one LTT picked up back in the day. The dragon reborn refers to LTT as he became known as 'the dragon' not to the champion of the light.

As the dragon is not a title used in our current age as it was in AOL then no, no one can be the next dragon. Just like no one can call their kids Jesus these days despite the name being very common in other languages.

Indeed, the Dragon was a political title granted Lews Therin by the people of the Age of Legends for his role as leader in the War of the Shadow. The people of the Age of Legends did not know that Lews Therin's soul in particular was spun out when the need to fight the Shadow existed--Graendal proves this, both in her consideration of the singular importance of Rand's life, a rebirth predicted for a specific reason, and her thoughts about how Demandred may well have been hailed as the Dragon himself, had things gone differently.

This too is why Rand is the Dragon Reborn, and not simply the Dragon, and why Lews Therin was the Dragon, and not the Dragon Reborn--the title is not the title given the Champion of the Light, but the title given Lews Therin, and then as a result, Rand.

This is why the fandom coined the phrase Champion of the Light to begin with, and likely why RJ picked it up.

Hey Louii, the title 'dragon' was one LTT picked up back in the day. The dragon reborn refers to LTT as he became known as 'the dragon' not to the champion of the light.

As the dragon is not a title used in our current age as it was in AOL then no, no one can be the next dragon. Just like no one can call their kids Jesus these days despite the name being very common in other languages.

Yeah thats what I was trying to say. It probably came out a bit warped, I'm typically bad at putting my thoughts to paper. But the general point I was getting at was that there can't be another Dragon until/if LTT/Rand is born again

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that one of the Forsaken had put extra wards on callandor to catch Rand off guard when he went back to get it.

This is what I had assumed as well. I also considered that this could have just been a side effect of Narishma's partial madness from pre-cleansing, as this was before Nynaeve could heal such effects. I figured it's possible that maybe he just 'thought' there were things Rand hadn't mentioned, much like other Asha'man 'thought' fades were following them and shadows were trying to overwhelm them while they channeled. My guess is if he had actually sprung any one of Rand's wards he wasn't prepared for, he wouldn't have made it back with Callandor. Rand was extremely confident that Callandor was safe, so to think Narishma could get around unexpected wards that the Forsaken could not is far-fetched to me.

Agreed. This was my interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that one of the Forsaken had put extra wards on callandor to catch Rand off guard when he went back to get it.

This is what I had assumed as well. I also considered that this could have just been a side effect of Narishma's partial madness from pre-cleansing, as this was before Nynaeve could heal such effects. I figured it's possible that maybe he just 'thought' there were things Rand hadn't mentioned, much like other Asha'man 'thought' fades were following them and shadows were trying to overwhelm them while they channeled. My guess is if he had actually sprung any one of Rand's wards he wasn't prepared for, he wouldn't have made it back with Callandor. Rand was extremely confident that Callandor was safe, so to think Narishma could get around unexpected wards that the Forsaken could not is far-fetched to me.

EXACTLY!!!

Callandor is flawed, which is why it takes a circle of 3 with a woman in control to use it safely. We know it can be used against it's wielder because of this. I believe that Rand used Callandor's power to thrust it back into the stone, and that the sword itself "adjusted" the wards Rand put on it.

As for Narishma, I think the prophecy merely states that the one who drew it after him would be loyal; hence the reason Rand trusted Narishma using Callandor when Saidin was cleansed (I believe it was Cadsuane's idea, but Rand noticed and didn't object). Narishma was also well introduced by Taim, letting Rand know he had "found someone with the spark born in him". Thus the reader has some reason to doubt Narishma, but the prophecy tells the reader he is to be trusted.

Narishma will be seen again, with some heavier role to play.

I would like Narishma to have a bigger role in the final book. He should have had a bigger role much earlier, but Jorda, and then Sanderson, kind of left him by the wayside and seemed to forget about him.

Who knows, maybe Narishma will end up saving Rand's life in the final battle or something, or in the battle against Taim. Or maybe Narishma will be the one to kill Padan Fain.

Narishma has black skin. Maybe that's what Min's viewing is about, with Callandor I mean. Can't remember off hand but does it say hand of black stone or ebony hand?

He does not have black skin. He's Arafellin, has large, dark eyes, a pale face and wears his hair in two braids with bells at the ends. Later, he is described as being sun dark, as in tanned.

Narishma has black skin. Maybe that's what Min's viewing is about, with Callandor I mean. Can't remember off hand but does it say hand of black stone or ebony hand?

He does not have black skin. He's Arafellin, has large, dark eyes, a pale face and wears his hair in two braids with bells at the ends. Later, he is described as being sun dark, as in tanned.

Oh, I must have mixed him up with one of the other Warders, my bad. :blush:

Random idea of the day--what if Narishma tries to use Callandor unassisted by women, and gets literally burnt to a crisp due to the flaw--onyx hand = A Well Cooked Narishma.

It might explain the whole importance of 'following after'. Say, after Rand is dead Narishma leaps in desperately to help and....

Random idea of the day--what if Narishma tries to use Callandor unassisted by women, and gets literally burnt to a crisp due to the flaw--onyx hand = A Well Cooked Narishma.

I loled. It is likely that someone will tell him about the flaw before the big moment. if not, the Light does not deserve to win.

What if a trap of the true power has nothing to do with what happended to Narishma. What if its the sword itself. When mins looking up the three will become one and she thinks theres something else, and cad agrees. The sword is dangerous because its not buffered against the taint, what if the sword is a tp sa'angreal. So the three become one is actually how Rand uses Callandor at TG, by turning the three powers against the DO.

As narishma channeled at and around it as a male, maybe he tripped something in the sword itself. I dunno, just weird idea I had.

What if a trap of the true power has nothing to do with what happended to Narishma. What if its the sword itself. When mins looking up the three will become one and she thinks theres something else, and cad agrees. The sword is dangerous because its not buffered against the taint, what if the sword is a tp sa'angreal. So the three become one is actually how Rand uses Callandor at TG, by turning the three powers against the DO.

As narishma channeled at and around it as a male, maybe he tripped something in the sword itself. I dunno, just weird idea I had.

It's not that Callandor isn't buffered to the taint, it's that it's not buffered at all.

That's the flaw, it doesn't have the safety buffer all other angreal and sa'angreal have in general.

Linking with 2 women, having them control the flows creates that buffer.

Callandor magnifies the taint and lacks a buffer. With Saidin cleansed the first problem is no longer an issue, but accidentally burning oneself out due to the lack of a buffer still is. In theory it should be safe to use without a circle so long as the user is careful, but it's pretty much a certainty that it's going to be used in one for one reason or another.

Callandor magnifies the taint and lacks a buffer. With Saidin cleansed the first problem is no longer an issue, but accidentally burning oneself out due to the lack of a buffer still is. In theory it should be safe to use without a circle so long as the user is careful, but it's pretty much a certainty that it's going to be used in one for one reason or another.

true true..... but I dont reemmber seeing anywhere the WHY or HOW of why it maginfied the taint or lacks the buffer. Cad said there was a flaw in the creation I believe, but I dont remember ever seeing the why of it.... Thats where I was going with it, what if the flaw is that its also tapped into the other side (tp)

true true..... but I dont reemmber seeing anywhere the WHY or HOW of why it maginfied the taint or lacks the buffer. Cad said there was a flaw in the creation I believe, but I dont remember ever seeing the why of it.... Thats where I was going with it, what if the flaw is that its also tapped into the other side (tp)

tPoD chapter 27

• 2 weeks later...

I never really read too much into the comment by Narishma about the wards being wrong.

I seem to remember a passage with Rand talking about how he had discovered a world where he can go and see the positions of stuff (Tehrinald... sp?) where he also checks on Callendor.

I just assumed that Rand had adjusted the wards whilst in the dream world, and they became a bit warped in the real world.

I had always assumed Demandred just added some of his own on top of it. We know he has been snooping around Tear. Moridin wouldnt have because the weaves had the intent to kill, and Rand dying, especially at that time, would have spoiled his plans. Demandred however was around Callandor in LoC, and he is devious enough to do something like that.

Regarding the wards, I think it is quite simple:

Rand placed the wards there. He fully explained them to Narishma, just like he says he did. Rand does think it's easy to get around them, but he's far more skilled than Narishma. From Narishma's point of view, even knowing about the wards, it was hard to get past them. To me, this seems like the easiest and most likely explanation, and it also avoids the need to conjure up consiracy theories that don't make any sense.

I had always assumed Demandred just added some of his own on top of it. We know he has been snooping around Tear. Moridin wouldnt have because the weaves had the intent to kill, and Rand dying, especially at that time, would have spoiled his plans. Demandred however was around Callandor in LoC, and he is devious enough to do something like that.

Demandred's never been seen on screen so can you please support how he was snooping in Tear or how he was around Callandor in LoC because I don't remember this at all and I am not up to LoC in my re-reads (rather, re-listen because I am trying this out before the end and it takes way longer).

Archived