DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Callandor (sp?) and theory

skalors3

I just want to understand the 'logic' of one part of this theory. How would anyone expect Logain to do something that none of the remaining thirteen most powerful channelers of the Age of Legends could do. Demandred, Moridin, Osan'gar, even Taim would be more qualified than Logain simply because he has been channeling longer. Plus Rahvin and Sammael were both around and seeking desperately for any item involving the Power right after the traps were set and still able to be seen with Rand long gone in the Aiel Waste yet neither of them was wielding Callandor when Rand confronted them. It is just too much of a stretch...

Seems to me that everyone is overlooking the possibility that Rand did tell Narishma everything, and Narishma simply encountered an inverted trap laid for Rand by one of the Forsaken, placed around or on top of his own.

I'm not overlooking that, I think it's true, as I stated in another thread.

I'm just not sure what that has to do with Logain.

A couple of thoughts on this post:

In regard to Rand not explaining all of the weaves to Narishma, I always wondered why that was, and I came up with two theories: 1. I thought that one possibility was that LTT may have intervened and tied a few weaves himself through Rand....we've seen it before where LTT has temporary taken control of the OP from RA and its possible that he may have intervened a little here (although unlikely b/c if thats the case, this would be the first time that LTT worked "through" Rand and the reader wasn't made aware of it). 2. or more likely, Rand accidentally left something out- I can't imagine him leaving something like that out on purpose- it would serve no purpose, other than potentially causing the death of one of his most trusted followers.

In regard to the image of Logain stepping over Rand's body and "achieving greatness", etc., i've always imagined that at some point in the LB that either Rand dies or gets knocked temporarily unconcious and Logain is there to continue whatever significant struggle that Rand was involved in and whatever it is, Logain is successful in whatever it was that he intervened in, thus acheiving greatness. What that could be, your guess is as good as mine, but I imagine it is large enough for him to be acknowledged as a hero. Saving Rand somehow? Killing Moridin? Killing SH? Leading the Asha'Man into battle while Rand is off fighting the DO? Logain ruling over the Black Tower after the last battle- a Male Equivelant of an Amerlyn (sp)? Your guess is as good as mine, but whatever it is, its going to be big and as a big fan of Logain's character, one of the things that i'm looking forward to as much as anything else in the last book.

Last, if Logain truly did have any intention of attempting to use Callandor, he would have had to steel himself to this plan- and he would have immediately taken advantage of the opportunity when he had it right in his hands- when else would he get another chance? In light of that, not only do I not think that Logain would betray Rand in that fashion, there is no evidence that he is even strong enough to wield it safely (look what happened to Rand when he tried- it completely took control of him and he was basically powerless to control himself- he almost tore down the Stone of Tear and killed everyone in it), which means that for your theory about him "changing his mind" were to be true, then somehow if Taim did wield this An'greal, that he would have had to have a significant amount of control more than Rand did- so much that he made a concious effort to "stop using it" because it was so powerful? I just don't buy it.

I think you've instigated some good conversation here in your thread, but you have to admit that your theories have no basis for truth, no clues or indications that any of that could have happened, and past experience of Rand wielding Callandor and what happened when he did should be enough for us to realize that if anyone tried to use it, then major things would have happened- Logain would have lost control and probably would have caused some big time problems.

Nice try though :)

Has anybody mentioned the male a'dam?

Cadsuane explains to Rand that the only safe way to use Callandor is when linked with two women one of whom must control the flows. This seems to be exactly the way the male a'dam works, linking a male channeller with two women, only one of whom, one assumes, would be in control. It would be very plausible to assume that since Cadsuane knows the weakness of Callandor and an apparently significant knowledge of various other ter'angreal she would also have the knowledge of the male a'dam.

there is no evidence that he is even strong enough to wield it safely (look what happened to Rand when he tried- it completely took control of him and he was basically powerless to control himself- he almost tore down the Stone of Tear and killed everyone in it)...

past experience of Rand wielding Callandor and what happened when he did should be enough for us to realize that if anyone tried to use it, then major things would have happened- Logain would have lost control and probably would have caused some big time problems...

But Jahar Narishma did wield it safely, at the Cleansing. The fact that the usual "buffer" is missing from Callandor apparently has two consequences: 1) the effect of the Taint is magnified and 2) it is possible for someone to burn themselves out while using it. Now that the Taint is gone, 1 is no longer an issue, but I would guess that 2 is still just as likely. Although, thinking about it again, this would have had to happen before the Cleansing so I guess the point is valid.

Perhaps it is better to say that a single man alone cannot wield it safely, but maybe that's what you meant and I just mis-interpreted your post.

Archived