DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dragons

Heya, Here's the random topic of the week.

So im rereading TsR, and i have found numerous parts where the POV character wonders how a dragon actually look, and where they come from. So im wondering, any of you have any theories regarding dragons in WoT? Will they be a plot in AmoL, or just some small side plot for perhaps the mat trilogy?

I was thinking perhaps they were discovered in different worlds you reach from the portal stones?

DISCUSS :)

Heya, Here's the random topic of the week.

So im rereading TsR, and i have found numerous parts where the POV character wonders how a dragon actually look, and where they come from. So im wondering, any of you have any theories regarding dragons in WoT? Will they be a plot in AmoL, or just some small side plot for perhaps the mat trilogy?

I was thinking perhaps they were discovered in different worlds you reach from the portal stones?

DISCUSS :)

Both BS and RJ said that there are no dragons in the world of WoT.

Q: Did dragons ever exist in the Wheel of Time? Are they actual mythological creatures? (In the Wheel of Time)

Brandon: The creatures don’t exist in life. They know the symbol is a dragon, but they don’t know where it came from. Maybe it’s one of those things where the symbol remained, but the meaning was lost.

and RJ:

Slayer says: I noticed how there are many similarities between the WOT and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Is this on purpose, or do great minds just think alike?

RJ: Slayer: Well, it's not on purpose, though I don't know about great minds. LOTR has more dissimilarities than similarities to my series. I have no elves, no unicorns, no dragons.

and another one by RJ

Lowlander: Are there any dragons (like real dragons (=animals)) in Rand's world? If not where did they get the idea of dragons?

RJ: There are no animal dragons of any kind in this world. the people speak of a man called the Dragon. They know that the banner that has a certain creature on it was the banner of this man and they have taken to calling this creature the dragon. To them it is a simple association with the name of this man.

So I don't expect any live dragons to show up in aMoL or in any of the sequels. It also seems clear from the second quote that RJ made a conscious effort not to have any "standard" fairy tale/fantasy animals in WoT.

Hmmm good one. I was thinking that the Jumara or Worms, in the blight ,actually are the larvae or babies of dragons that can't transform? But I might have heard that on the podcast or somewhere since I looked it up on encyclopaedia-wot.org and didn't find anything on that so maybe I'm just imagining things :)

Anyone?

The Dragon seems to be the Great Serpent with it's tail out of it's mouth, a fitting symbol for a man who embodies a singular moment in history (as much as the wheel of time can produce). The AoL people would have recognised LTT as a powerful Ta'varan and seen him as manifestation of the 'will of the wheel' itself.

Do dragons actually exist in our world? I think you shouldn't dwell on this too much; It's probably just like Brandon said: a symbol of something, with a meaning long lost. The people in Randland may seem not be thinking outside the box, they can come up with fantasy creatures and things like that just as we can. But that they were discovered in a mirror world sometime before the Age of Legends as you said seems a good possibility to me as well. Anyway, I don´t think this will have any meaning in the story; still nice you noticed this.

the way they're described, i always thought raken and to'raken were dragons. and the words sound similar.

re dragons in our world, there's been a theory floating around that fossilized dinosaurs and similar creatures were thought to be remnants of dragons, and other mythical beasts.

the way they're described, i always thought raken and to'raken were dragons. and the words sound similar.

re dragons in our world, there's been a theory floating around that fossilized dinosaurs and similar creatures were thought to be remnants of dragons, and other mythical beasts.

I have no idea why anyone would think that.

UCMP_Trex_skull_left.JPG

Actually, skeletal remains of dinosaura have been found with spaces in their skull. It has been theorized that they produced a chemical that ignited when mixed with the atmosphere. Not that that has any relation to the wheel of time

Actually, skeletal remains of dinosaura have been found with spaces in their skull. It has been theorized that they produced a chemical that ignited when mixed with the atmosphere. Not that that has any relation to the wheel of time

Well there are animals and insets that can spray acid or venom or even stuff that reacts and gets really hot and burns, its entirely possible that something like a dragon could have existed that "breaths fire".

As to the dragon in the wheel of time, the name probably originally came from a myth just like it did in our world (which kinda the wheel of time is set on a little)

Hmmm good one. I was thinking that the Jumara or Worms, in the blight ,actually are the larvae or babies of dragons that can't transform? But I might have heard that on the podcast or somewhere since I looked it up on encyclopaedia-wot.org and didn't find anything on that so maybe I'm just imagining things :)

Anyone?

It is menchioned in one of the books when grandeal is ranting about how stupid the people in the new age are. She said the things that they call worms are actually some undeveloped creature from the age of legends. Cant remember what they are called

Anyone?

It is menchioned in one of the books when grandeal is ranting about how stupid the people in the new age are. She said the things that they call worms are actually some undeveloped creature from the age of legends. Cant remember what they are called

jumara

Anyone?

This is fairly close to the basis of dragons in Robin Hobb's Farseer stories. Have you read those books and are you applying that here?

Anyone?

This is fairly close to the basis of dragons in Robin Hobb's Farseer stories. Have you read those books and are you applying that here?

Nope, never read them but I have concluded that I just thought it meant dragons. :wacko: I'm mixed up :blush:

Archived