DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 99: Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

One more to go before we hit the big 100. And next up is one of the biggest female stars of the music world (Cher), and an Italian gothic-metal band (Domina Noctis), who go head-to-head with Band Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down).

ORIGINAL: Cher

It wasn't easy finding an original, as Cher has given the song many modern twists during various tours. But I did! Released in 1966, it scored Cher a number 3 hit in the UK, and reached number 2 on the US Billboard. Cher released the song in 1988, but it failed to chart. It was Cher's biggest solo hit in the US during the 1960s. 

vs.

COVER: Domina Noctis

Many singers and bands have covered the song, included Nancy Sinatra, which was in the same year. But the version I have gone for is the 2008 cover by Italian gothic-metal band, Domina Noctis. The song was covered as part of their second album, Second Rose.

Voting ends Thursday 5th August 2010 at 10pm (BST)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Song 100: Dreams

After a rather lengthy break due to the move and work being extremely busy for me, "Original vs. Cover" returns - and reaches its century of songs! First up is a classic from Fleetwood Mac, with the cover having a distinctly Irish and electronic feel about it from The Corrs.

ORIGINAL: Fleetwood Mac

The song comes from the 1977 album, Rumours. Written while the band was experiencing many emotional upheavals, it feels very simplistic and not too complex. It has a slight mystic and dreamy feel about it. It achieved chart success in the US, reaching number 1, where it stayed for a week. It only reached number 24 in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

vs.

COVER: The Corrs

There is definitely a more optimistic feel about The Corrs cover version. This is probably due to the additional beat that has been added in. The cover was on the group's second album, and proved to be their first proper hit in the UK, reaching number 6 in the UK charts back in May 1998.

Voting ends Thursday 21st October 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 101: Like A Prayer

Song 101 sees one of the great female solo artists of all time (Madonna) take on an European dance cover by Mad'House of the song Like A Prayer.

ORIGINAL: Madonna

Like A Prayer was the first single from the 1989 album of the same name. It is a power pop song, and is notable for featuring a gospel choir. With over 5 million copies of the single sold worldwide, it is one of Madonna's most successful songs to date. Numerous number 1s were achieved across the globe.

vs.

COVER: Mad'House

In 2002, Mad'House covered the song as a hi-NRG/eurodance version. Mad'house is made up of French producers Bambi Mukendi and Stephane Durand, with Turkish singer, dancer, and social services student Buse Unlu on vocals. I remember listening to this version an awful lot when I was on holiday in Crete in the summer of 2002. It reached number 1 in Germany, something the original failed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iol7A00p7b0

Voting ends Thursday 21st October 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Archived