DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your greatest memories?

Majsju

As the title says, what are your favourite memories from the world of sports?

My absolute favourite must be when United beat bayern München in the Champions league final 1999, completing Uniteds historical treble.

Others...

Staying with United, winning the Premier League 92/93, the first league title in almost 30 years.

Football World Cup 1994, Sweden finishing 3rd.

Ingemar Stenmark, final world cup victory in 1989. He had not won a race for two years, he had announced that he was doing his final season, And as if he desperatly wanted to go out as a winner, he managed to pull one last perfect race, 14 years after his first victory.

Hockey, 1994 Olympics. Sweden had never won the tournament before, but finally managed to do it after an amazing final against Canada (with a classic penalty by Forsberg).

Football World Cup 1986 - Maradona. Back then, it was more or less impossible to catch games from other foreign leagues than the English, so I had never seen Maradona play. But he was what everyone talked about before the tournament. And also during the tournament, as he carried Argentina to winning the trophy. For a kid used to watching English and Swedish football, watching Maradona in his prime was an experience out of this world.

2006 when the Cardinals beat the Mets. I mean the World Series win that year was great and all, but the NLCS was so much sweeter, I thought. It was a combination of how favored the Mets were prior to the game, the neck and neck series, and its conclusion in the 9th with the game still tied until Molina's homer.

Elend! Always a pleasure.

Isn't it funny how the headline games arn't always the more dramatic?

I remember a game between CCM and the Derby oppostion (Sydney FC) that had us up 2-0 within 4 minutes, only our keeper to get sent off and the game to go 5-4 to Sydney, with an injury time winner to boot. According to the stats? 3 points to Sydney. According to all who where there? Rivalry defining.

My greatest memory would probably be Norway beating Brazil 2-1 in the 1998 World Cup to reach the knockout stage. Norway needed a win as Morocco was winning against Scotland. In the 88th minute Norway got a penalty for the win.

• 1 month later...

When the Lakers won in 2000, it was the first time my team won a championship and I was a big enough fan to appreciate it. When I started watching sports in 87-88 I was like 6 so when they won I was like "yay!". When they won when I was 18 I was yelling and running around the house and I was even old enough that my dad let me drink. I got to feel it 4 times since, but it was never so sweet.

• 1 month later...

Oh so many memories. Attending the 82 World Series game 6 at 5-6 years old. The 2006 World Series, after the letdown of the 2004 affair. Seeing Wayne Gretzky score the only goal of a playoff game against the Redwings while in mid air from a trip. For all the success of the Cardinals, and the streak of consecutive Blues playoff appearances, I would have to say that watching the Rams come from out of nowhere in the 99 season on the arm of a noname quaterback and an offensive co-ordinater many called "mad". That was probably the best or at least one of the best for me.

Archived