DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another beginner's question

Earth.

RJ said that the 3rd Age is just one of the seven turnings of the Wheel, and that our current time is just one of those ages. The WoT is supposed to be taking place on Earth.

That would explain why so many of their legends are based on (or the basis for?) our own. I always liked this theory but I didn't know if it was the official interpretation.

Earth.

RJ said that the 3rd Age is just one of the seven turnings of the Wheel, and that our current time is just one of those ages. The WoT is supposed to be taking place on Earth.

That would explain why so many of their legends are based on (or the basis for?) our own. I always liked this theory but I didn't know if it was the official interpretation.

Having said that, the inhabitants of 'Randland' do have a name for their continent (essentially, the known world prior to the discovery of Seandar). I remember hearing somewhere that this name will be revealed before the end of the series

Sid, that sounds more like A Song of Fire & Ice tbh. i can't recall that term being used. i'm on re-read of the series so i'll keep a watch out if there is one. i suspect if there is one, it would come froma convo with a Seanchan.

Well, the story we're reading is supposed to be the inspiration for many of the old religious mythologies. The Norse mythology is there the strongest, perhaps. But the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions are represented as well (old War in Heaven stuff). Also, at the same time, this story is about the Apocalypse and Ragnarok and the final confrontation between the good and the bad. The idea makes sense. You just have to take off your science-hat when it comes to things like evolution and linear time while reading.

Sid, that sounds more like A Song of Fire & Ice tbh. i can't recall that term being used. i'm on re-read of the series so i'll keep a watch out if there is one. i suspect if there is one, it would come froma convo with a Seanchan.

It was never used in the books, but I remember someone saying that's what RJ called the continent (or their part of the continent) in an interview or Q/A. Of course now that I'm trying to find a quote I can't... :rolleyes:

ASoIaF takes place in Westeros.

Well I mean of course I see all the similarities. Through it's pretty clear there's no One Power turning our universe, and while civilizations rise and fall and we have had a few different 'Ages', we pretty distinctly have linear rather than cyclical time.

Maybe we're a Portal Stone World.

i think time can be circular and linear at the same time, and in the WOT, i think it is.

the wheels on the bus go round and round, but the bus started somewhere and will stop somewhere.

i think the allusions to modern history among the WOT's ancient myths indicate that the age written of in the WOT is far in the future from our own.

i don't believe WOT time just keeps repeating itself in an infinite loop. i think time cylces through similar ages over and over, but the specific events do not simply repeat themselves. rather, similar events occur, in similar ways, at similar stages, and ages, of the wheel's revolution.

um, there are people with better words for this. i know what i mean, but i'm not sure i can express it well enough for you to know what i mean, sorry.

i think time can be circular and linear at the same time, and in the WOT, i think it is.

the wheels on the bus go round and round, but the bus started somewhere and will stop somewhere.

i think the allusions to modern history among the WOT's ancient myths indicate that the age written of in the WOT is far in the future from our own.

i don't believe WOT time just keeps repeating itself in an infinite loop. i think time cylces through similar ages over and over, but the specific events do not simply repeat themselves. rather, similar events occur, in similar ways, at similar stages, and ages, of the wheel's revolution.

um, there are people with better words for this. i know what i mean, but i'm not sure i can express it well enough for you to know what i mean, sorry.

Oh, I agree with you. I don't hold that every turning is a carbon-copy of the previous turning. It's the very broad strokes of an Age that the Wheel aims for, not the minute ones.

This is probably getting way too literal, but. . . if this is supposed to be happening on Earth, the continent that looks most like Randland is Australia, right? See this picture

It would be Europe actually, with Seanchan being the Americas, Shara would be Asia & Africa & India are completely gone. The Land of Madmen would be Australia or maybe Antarctica.

Keep in mind events like the Breaking where mountain ranges rose, oceans disappeared, etc,..

There was actually a poster on here who overlayed the WoT map with a real world map, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: That map overlay thing must have been the website change over, can't find it.

This is the best WoT world map I can find.

This is probably getting way too literal, but. . . if this is supposed to be happening on Earth, the continent that looks most like Randland is Australia, right? See this picture

It would be Europe actually, with Seanchan being the Americas, Shara would be Asia & Africa & India are completely gone. The Land of Madmen would be Australia or maybe Antarctica.

Keep in mind events like the Breaking where mountain ranges rose, oceans disappeared, etc,..

There was actually a poster on here who overlayed the WoT map with a real world map, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: That map overlay thing must have been the website change over, can't find it.

This is the best WoT world map I can find.

I think you're referring to one of my old posts. It still exists, I linked to it the other day. When I'm not posting from my phone I'll find it again.

Is this the post with the map comparisons mentioned?

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/41579-the-wot-world-compared-to-the-world-of-the-first-age-our-world/page__p__1206540__fromsearch__1#entry1206540

I suggest looking through the whole topic. I'd like to do a more thorough analysis at some point. I feel it could be greatly improved upon and some things corrected.

I just don't really feel we've had distinct Ages like Randland has.

Unless you believe ina cycle of Big Crunch-Big Bang in which case the universe is destroyed over and over and an Earth is made every time

The matter from one Age would be converrted to energy and back into matter again..

It's Earth. RJ even included some of our famous events/people as legends. See Mosk and Merc.

I've never heard of Mosk and Merc, though Perrin, Mat and Rand were all arguably based on various dieties, and the Heroes of the Horn were ostensibly supposed to be based on legends or more properly archetypes of our own world).

But lots of fantasy series do this, or rather Tolkien based his stories on Norse and British legends and myths, and while some fantasy authors have tried in varying measure to stray from this, it is arguably the root of fantasy.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, or a stick in the mud, I guess I just have a lower threshold of disbelief. I can see how WoT is supposed to be Earth or more precisely a Prtal Stone variant.

I just don't really feel we've had distinct Ages like Randland has.

Unless you believe ina cycle of Big Crunch-Big Bang in which case the universe is destroyed over and over and an Earth is made every time

The matter from one Age would be converrted to energy and back into matter again..

It's Earth. RJ even included some of our famous events/people as legends. See Mosk and Merc.

I've never heard of Mosk and Merc, though Perrin, Mat and Rand were all arguably based on various dieties, and the Heroes of the Horn were ostensibly supposed to be based on legends or more properly archetypes of our own world).

But lots of fantasy series do this, or rather Tolkien based his stories on Norse and British legends and myths, and while some fantasy authors have tried in varying measure to stray from this, it is arguably the root of fantasy.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, or a stick in the mud, I guess I just have a lower threshold of disbelief. I can see how WoT is supposed to be Earth or more precisely a Prtal Stone variant.

re distinct ages - i think the idea is the series of dark ages we have punctuated by times of apparent enlightenment, like, say, JC, darkness, arthur, darkness, modern industrial society, impending apocalypse, darkness.

mosk and merc, fighting with lances of fire, are moscow and america, fighting with ICBMs. there are refernces to lenn (glenn, get it?) who went to the moon via eagle (which does mix up some of the details of the space program, to be expected thousands of years in the future, but which can refer to nothing else). and sally ride. and ann landers (anla, wise counselor) etc. these bits, i have found, are compiled elsewhere on the interwebz (someone helpful will provide a link, i am being attacked by cats on the keyboard, sorry), but i saw them plainly from my first read.

i'm pretty sure someone will dig you up a quote or two where RJ confirmed this all.

no energy to argue, here. there are 70 faces to the torah, and at least that many to the WOT, so you see it your way, and i'll still see it mine. :mellow:

Archived