DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene ugh

Toral alCaar

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have went back and forth with liking and disliking her. Right now I like her, because she has shown character development, some good, some bad. On the flip-side, I dislike the fact that she for some time now has adopted the view of having longevity, as it pertains to Aes Sedi and the Tower. Especially since she knows better and shows it in her decisions, but for some reason drops a stupid bomb and shows no common sense.

Does Egwene know about Rand newfound memories of the AOL? If she does she sure does act like she would know what's better to do concerning the seals and Rands decision to shatter them. Another character who annoys me is Elayne, I know she aes sedai and all that but can she please show some loyalty to Rand instead of always siding with the tower against him.

I like Egwene, though she, like all the characters, does have her flaws. Though I think she gets the most undeserved crap on DM, while other characters (Mat and Rand) never get called on being more tyrannical and arrogant (Rand) or more stupid and childish (Mat).

No, I don't contest that Rand and Mat have made mistakes, but Rand's mistakes are at least (IMO) justifiable and I understand why he did things in the situation that he was in. With Egwene, I don't feel that as much. I understand some of the manipulations and deceit that she had to do, but I also think her personality has taken a downhill turn.

I hate Aes Sedai, I find them to be detestable, and Egwene has become so Aes Sedai that I can't help but dislike her too.

<br />
<br />I like Egwene, though she, like all the characters, does have her flaws. Though I think she gets the most undeserved crap on DM, while other characters (Mat and Rand) never get called on being more tyrannical and arrogant (Rand) or more stupid and childish (Mat).<br />
<br />No, I don't contest that Rand and Mat have made mistakes, but Rand's mistakes are at least (IMO) justifiable and I understand why he did things in the situation that he was in. With Egwene, I don't feel that as much. I understand some of the manipulations and deceit that she had to do, but I also think her personality has taken a downhill turn. <br /><br />I hate Aes Sedai, I find them to be detestable, and Egwene has become so Aes Sedai that I can't help but dislike her too.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Guest Emu on the Loose

What I think about Egwene is that she has somehow managed to draw out in many people the strange attitude of personal resentment, as if she were a real person rather than a fictional character. People who criticize her seldom talk about how they relate or do not relate to her; they talk as if she lives in the tower down the track.

I was a big fan of her until she went to Salidar, then she stopped acting like a normal character and turned into a clone of some of the other Aes Sedai

I disliked her until she went to the Aiel, then her growth and maturation made me like her. She went to Salidar, and her political savvy made me like her. While I hated reading the Elayne sequences from PoD -> ToM, I liked reading the Egwene sections. Then Egwene was captured in the Tower, and her grace under the circumstances REALLY made me like her. Along with Rand's arc in EoTW (and his post-Dragonmount arc), Mat's arc with Tuon, and Perrin's Two Rivers arc (pre-Faile kidnapping), Egwene's Tower arc is my favorite in the series.

I never understood the haters. She has her annoying quirks, but she stopped being wrong as much once she went with the Aiel, at least. It seems to me that it boils down to whether or not you like the Aes Sedai. I do, so seeing Egwene become one is not a bad thing for me.

It's interesting the number of people who have completely different opinions about her

She's a polarizing character.

She's a politician. :biggrin:

I haven't always been on board with Egwene, but I've personally never hated her or even disliked her. All of that just seems foreign to me.

To say something a little different to the usual run of Egwene threads, I would just like to point out that Egwene is arguably more heroic than Rand. Allow me to explain: Rand was forced into a bad situation. So was Mat, so was Perrin. They are ta'veren, the Pattern bends around them. They are forced by the Wheel to take on specific roles, which they can't really run from. They didn't choose them. As was pointed out in TGS, they might not have control over what they do, but they do over why. They are, therefore, simply constrained to make the best of a bad situation. Egwene, on the other hand, chose to become AS, chose to study with the Aiel, chose not to simply be a puppet of the Hall and to assert herself. She is, therefore, someone who chose to put herself into a bad situation. Rand had to be forced into his role, Egwene didn't. To put it another way, which would you consider to be more heroic: someone who is trapped in a burning building and rescues someone they stumble across on their way out, or someone who enters a burning building deliberately, and with the intention of saving someone? Rand is the former, Egwene is the latter.

I was never a fan of Egwene, in fact I really don't like her. Then I wondered what do other people think about her.

Another annoying thread about Egwene.

The funny thing is, it wouldnt annoy you if you didnt read it, now, would it?

Ive never been a fan of Egwene, its like shes trying to be Rands female counterpart without realising it, and somehow she pulled of the Ta'veren bit without actually being Ta'veren. Her time with the Aiel was solely-SOLELY-to prepare her for the beatings of the White Tower in TGS.

I wont miss Egwene when she dies.

Is have to disagree with Mr. Ares, and agree with Dreka Mort. Gene is not that heroic as she is petty. In TEOTW, when Egwene discovers Rand and the others leaving the Two Rivwrs. She doesn't even know she can channel yet, let alone that she could be the Amyrlin, she's only going so as not to be left out and bored alone in Emonds Field. It isn't till they have been on the road a while that she even learns of her ability to channel, so she isn't just purposefully putting herself in a bad situation, she's struggling to try to keep up with Rand in terms of power and political power. That's why she refuses to listen to Rand when he says he needs to shatter the seals. She really believes that she is smarter and wiser as an aes sedai and Amyrlin.

I can handle Egwene better than I can Elaine but truth be told, I struggle with almost all of the younger female characters. There's such a double standard between the young female characters and the male. The male characters take charge, make decisions, move events forward and they are seen as arrogant, brash, woolheaded, refusing to accept advise, and dangerous. Women sniff at their actions, belittle the results, roll their eyes, etc. The female characters do the same thing and they're described as strong, brave, wise beyond their years.

I found it telling that during the Seanchan attack on Tar Valon, Egwene viciously shoots raken out of the sky. When a novice notes that she may very well be killing captured Aes Sedai Egwene replies with something along the lines of them being better off and she should know because she was once collared. That was it. No guilt, no second thought, no scolding. Why is it every time Rand is forced to take an action that results in collateral damage and the deaths of innocent people there is guilt heaped upon him by the metric ton by not only all around him but himself. Matt kills a woman that deserves in every way to be killed and he's pounded with guilt. Where is the guilt for Egwene? Why does she get a pass? Ridiculous! Rand mercifully kills a person whose mind has been wiped away by compulsion and Nynaeve blasts him for it, Min shakes her head in disbelief. Egwene kills Aes Sedai who need nothing more than the Domani collars to be removed and she's a bloody hero! It irritates me to no end.

So in my opinion Egwene's whole story is made up of her trying to make herself as important as the three tavern already are. Plus I think that of Rand,Mat, and Perrin didn't need her she would still be in the two rivers, or maybe with Bo and the other two rivers girls. So basically she' caught in a big taveren web

Archived