DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could ask Brandon ANY 3 Questions ... but HERE are the RULES!!!

2. Are you a member / lurker on the Theoryland or Dragonmount forums? (If so, I suppose it would probably be asking too much to have you reveal your avatar name.....)
He's a member on here.

That's too easy. Unfortunately, the Brandon Sanderson user profile shows no recent activity or posts.

If Brandon is following the forums at all, he's either lurking without logging in or occasionally posting using a different avatar. I'd just like to know whether he's watching.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon stays away from the forums for the most part because he tries to stay away from the criticism. It's not that he doesn't take criticism seriously...it's just that the hateful language often used by author-bashers on forums can be...discouraging, to say the least. So he has his assistant Peter Ahlstrom watch the forums instead. Peter incorporates the criticism that he feels is valid into his own duties as an alpha reader for Brandon. He's not exactly Brandon's editor, but only because editing is only a small part of what he does. He also keeps Brandon abreast of whatever else is going on that seems important. He lurks at pretty much every WoT- or Brandon-related forum to some extent, but you can never know how much he's reading. I remember one time Luckers and I spammed him with an argument about Lews Therin on Twitter, and he said he'd already read all of our arguments after TGS came out. And of course he posts from time to time.

From what I understand, Maria and Alan also watch the forums, but I'm not sure how much. Peter likes being visible, and even involved to an extent, but they don't for the most part. Harriet reads every now and then, but I think not very often at all.

PS - You'll find that most authors avoid fan sites for the same reason. Brandon probably gets enough of it on Twitter.

1) in ToM when Thom is singing for them as he think death is coming, is it to the tune of of Justin Biebers "Baby" Rebecca Black's "Friday" or to "Numa Numa?"

2) In Knife of Dreams, when the Malkieri gather to march to Tarmon Gaiden do they know that that is the last battle? or are they assuming it's a bath house in a trendy part of town?

3) In ToM when Perrin is striking metal, is he actually trying to form it into something or is that a metaphor for how he copes with his sometimes disconcility with Faille (IYKWIMAITYD)

4) Is Moridin gay, and always had a crush on LTT and that that is REALLY why he turned to the DO?

5) When are we gonna get a chance to see Avienda shake her baby maker on rand?

So he has his assistant Peter Ahlstrom watch the forums instead. Peter incorporates the criticism that he feels is valid into his own duties as an alpha reader for Brandon. He's not exactly Brandon's editor, but only because editing is only a small part of what he does. He also keeps Brandon abreast of whatever else is going on that seems important. He lurks at pretty much every WoT- or Brandon-related forum to some extent, but you can never know how much he's reading.

That actually makes a lot of sense - keep abreast of what's going on, but with a strong b***s*** filter in place.

I'm sure they have some good laughs at our expense from time to time. I know I would if our positions were reversed.

Peter, if you're watching, I hope you showed Brandon the LoLCats thread.

1. Any chance you could split the last book in three? So much has to happen and I don't want a feeling of it being rushed or skipped over and most importantly when its over what do I do now?

2. Could you make Taim turn out to be Demandred after all? Now that's a turnip for the books.

3. Could you name the newly invented train that runs from Cahirien Thomas? He could be a very helpful engine in the last battle.

OTT Old Buddy, I am SERIOUSLY hoping that your Number 1 was ALL Tongue In Cheek ... Youre not forgetting, I presume, that AMOL has ALREADY been split into three books, are you, lol??? ;-)

(TGS, TOM AMOL)

- Fish

Ah yeah I'm serious. In the dead of the night, when all doubts and worries about the future of the fantasy genre come home to roost, if we came across the news came of further splitting of the books, we would rejoice and praise the lords of book publishing.

What will we read when it's over and there isn't anymore? Read the series again and then notice the last three books weren't that great.

1. How was Nynaeve able to retrieve Lan's bond while the BT was under a dream spike's effect? Grady couldn't travel etc.

2. Is Birgittes wearing of a sword an omen?

3. Avie's vision in the Pillars, will we see a conclusion so that the Power remains in play within the WoT world, post-Last Battle without the Seanchan ruling them? More to the point, Will we see an aversion to the outcome she sees (the Whiter Tower falling, and Aiel dieing)

Nynaeve travelled to Caemlyn before the Dreamspike was in effect. In fact, the BT plot is somewhat behind, and the only effect in Caemlyn we've seen of the Dreamspike was Gawyn almost getting chopped in two when he went back to the Tower to save Egwene's bacon, and that was from the one Perrin brought, not the one at the BT. Though we have seen Rand's channelers be unable to travel to the BT.

As for my 3 questions:

1. Are we ever to get a satisfactory explanation for what Rand and Egwene were doing for the other 25 or so days of the month and why they apparently did so little to help Lan, save the Borderlands (other than Maradon), or attempt to actually think about, you know, how to seal the Bore and actually win the LB?

2. Are we ever going to get a satisfactory explanation why Verin didn't just go to Elayne directly, or to another sister who could travel, and make her promise to deliver her letter to Elayne if she didn't return to retrieve it in two days? That whole episode was bungled, to me.

3. Can I get a better explanation of this whole, the gholam is a construct but not a construct thing again? I'm still a little fuzzy on how a gateway worked on one and why the weaves just didn't fade away (seeing how it is impervious to the OP) and even if that barrier is cured, how it passed through a gateway being a construct. I mean, I fail to see how they were such an awesome assassin in the Age of Legends if all the AS had to do was scoop one up in a gateway and leave it there. Shouldn't they all be falling endlessly by now?

OK, after some consideration, I'd pull me 3rd question, and ask the following:

3. If ToM, Rand tells Cadsuane that as far as he knows, he is the only living male Aes Sedai who was properly raised, and that she can call him Rand Sedai if she wants. Question, how was it exactly AS were raised BEFORE the Breaking. Would love to know that, and would think that Rand might want to tell someone, if it is still possible. Would solve a lot of problems, ya know.

1. Someone already asked him. He said RAFO.

2. Someone already asked him. She had to put the time restriction on it to avoid breaking her oath, so she gave it to Mat hoping he would be childish and open it out of curiosity before the promised time.

3. Someone already asked him. The gholam is not a construct. Not all Shadowspawn are constructs - Trollocs, Draghkar, and Myrddraal are, but Gray Men and Darkhounds are not. Darkhounds are modified wolves; Gray Men and gholam are modified humans.

1. Any chance you could split the last book in three? So much has to happen and I don't want a feeling of it being rushed or skipped over and most importantly when its over what do I do now?

2. Could you make Taim turn out to be Demandred after all? Now that's a turnip for the books.

3. Could you name the newly invented train that runs from Cahirien Thomas? He could be a very helpful engine in the last battle.

OTT Old Buddy, I am SERIOUSLY hoping that your Number 1 was ALL Tongue In Cheek ... Youre not forgetting, I presume, that AMOL has ALREADY been split into three books, are you, lol??? ;-)

(TGS, TOM AMOL)

- Fish

Ah yeah I'm serious. In the dead of the night, when all doubts and worries about the future of the fantasy genre come home to roost, if we came across the news came of further splitting of the books, we would rejoice and praise the lords of book publishing.

What will we read when it's over and there isn't anymore? Read the series again and then notice the last three books weren't that great.

Of course, that's a problem that can really cut both ways - what if there's enough for one very long last book, or two shorter last books? Bulking it up to three last books wouyld require a lot of padding, which is one of the big problems people have with the middle books anyway. If I heard about the last book being split in three, I would be very annoyed, and pretty sure that they didn't really know what they were doing.

Anyway, at present I only have one question for BS, but it's a tough one. A question mankind has struggled with since the dawn of civilisation. A question so profound its answer could shake our knowledge of the universe to its foundations: Why is orange jam called marmalade?

Thtas true but Towers of midnight felt rushed and packed full of stuff happening without giving the events the breathing room they deserved.

Also I'd ask him if a slice of buttered toast is strapped onto a cats back with butter facing towards the sky and then said cat is dropped from a height that wouldn't hurt it, would the cat and toast just spin perpetually above the ground?

Total Hypothetical Holodeck scenario, of course, since this can never actually happen, but:

If you could ask Brandon Sanderson ANY 3 Questions that he would PROMISE to answer...NO RAFOS/MAFOS or whathaveyou, what would your 3 be???

Yes, yes, I know I went a little over my own self-imposed limit, (actually, I think I doubled it) but...heck, when its YOUR Topic you get to break the rules, I guess, lol! ;-)

- Fish

LOL, awesome thread, and kickass way to break the rules!

Right. First off I would ask Brandon which parts of TGS he wrote. Im talking a line-by-line breakdown of which wordings he came up with and which RJ had left prepared. The reason is I want to know who did what with Dark Rand-EASILY my favorite Rand phase, it was just amazing, I never knew I was waiting for that kind of anger in Rand until I saw it. Very satisfying, I just wonder how much of it Brandon created.

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Third. If Mat or Perrin went uber evil would they have the same darkness around them in their moodswings like Rand in TGS?

Total Hypothetical Holodeck scenario, of course, since this can never actually happen, but:

If you could ask Brandon Sanderson ANY 3 Questions that he would PROMISE to answer...NO RAFOS/MAFOS or whathaveyou, what would your 3 be???

Yes, yes, I know I went a little over my own self-imposed limit, (actually, I think I doubled it) but...heck, when its YOUR Topic you get to break the rules, I guess, lol! ;-)

- Fish

Right. First off I would ask Brandon which parts of TGS he wrote. Im talking a line-by-line breakdown of which wordings he came up with and which RJ had left prepared. The reason is I want to know who did what with Dark Rand-EASILY my favorite Rand phase, it was just amazing, I never knew I was waiting for that kind of anger in Rand until I saw it. Very satisfying, I just wonder how much of it Brandon created.

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Third. If Mat or Perrin went uber evil would they have the same darkness around them in their moodswings like Rand in TGS?

Drekka! Good questions. I really like the one about what would happen if Mat or Perrin went Dark the way Rand did there for awhile. I am guessing, like with other aspects of The Big Three Ta'veren Tripod that we have seen, it would be very similar to what happened with Rand - only to a lesser extent. Sometimes in all the focus on Rand I think it gets forgotten that, if it weren't for Rand, Mat and Perrin would probably be tied as the single most powerful Ta'veren in history.

As for my opinion that I have always thought Mat and Perrin have more ''personality'' than Rand, I just think it is an effect of a protaganist-driven fantasy that the sidekicks are allowed more freedom to become distinct whereas the centrol ''hero'' is saddled with the literary job of often having to serve as a reflection for the story around him and suffer from being the tool for which exposition and infodump prose is expunged.

- Fish

...Edited to add: I think that the true brilliance in Rand's personality comes out in those agonizing situations where he is forced to make some horrible choice (examples include his order to have Mangin hung and every single time he ordered the Maidens into battle) where his upbringing and his kindness hurl him into total agony BECAUSE he has just made those choices....thats what made Rand in TGS so scary and sad - he kept right on making those horrible decisions in TGS but temporarily ceased to regret the effects of those situations. ... The Rand storyline in TGS is one of the oldest around - the temporary loss then struggle to regain one's very humanity - but it was executed beautifully in TGS in my opinion. Also, imo, folks really don't mind seeing the same old thing being repeated as long as it continues to be done well. The flaw is usually in the execution. Not the concept. When whatever said subject ceases to being done well, THATS when the audience begins to tire of it and find it ''stale.''

End edit.

3. Someone already asked him. The gholam is not a construct. Not all Shadowspawn are constructs - Trollocs, Draghkar, and Myrddraal are, but Gray Men and Darkhounds are not. Darkhounds are modified wolves; Gray Men and gholam are modified humans.

This was always a hard one to comprehend in the beginning. How Trollocs are constructs but have souls, are male and female and reproduce creating litters of Trollocs and the occasional Myrddraal.

Made more sense after finding out that all efforts to make them failed until the True Power was used.

- Fish

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Drekka! Good questions. I really like the one about what would happen if Mat or Perrin went Dark the way Rand did there for awhile. I am guessing, like with other aspects of The Big Three Ta'veren Tripod that we have seen, it would be very similar to what happened with Rand - only to a lesser extent.

Yea exactly, to a lesser degree. The thing I wonder about though, is can every Ta'veren bend the Pattern to their will? It would certainly explain Mats luck. Obviously a Ta'verens strength would still vary, but the thing that makes me wonder about the aura is... Brandon said the darkness was partly but not entirely down to his True Power use. I interpret that as... the darkness is based on his frame of mind entirely (food doesnt rot unless he goes all cold) but the True Power use affected his mentality. So I thought the potential for dark auras was already there in the Ta'veren, but the mentality change with True Power use helped the aura come about, if that makes sense. Thats how I saw it. It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

As for my opinion that I have always thought Mat and Perrin have more ''personality'' than Rand, I just think it is an effect of a protaganist-driven fantasy that the sidekicks are allowed more freedom to become distinct whereas the centrol ''hero'' is saddled with the literary job of often having to serve as a reflection for the story around him and suffer from being the tool for which exposition and infodump prose is expunged.

Mate, that was so well-put as well as true, I have to ask... Are you by any chance a writer???

It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

The pattern spins out Ta'veren and can take it away when it sees fit. I don't think there can ever be a dark Ta'veren serving the Shadow. If that happened, the creator would withdraw the ta'veren from the individual

It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

The pattern spins out Ta'veren and can take it away when it sees fit. I don't think there can ever be a dark Ta'veren serving the Shadow. If that happened, the creator would withdraw the ta'veren from the individual

Dont say I didnt warn you (although I actually didnt warn you)

RJ said it was possible for a Darkfriend to become Ta'veren but that he couldnt see how or why the Wheel would allow it. That isnt what Im talking about with Taim.

Im saying that if Taim isnt Moridin-although he is, but Im humoring you-then he is a Ta'veren that the Wheel intended to become a Darkfriend and subconsciously perform some Pattern-benefiting task that only a Darkfriend might be able to pull off. So Im not saying a Darkfriend became Ta'veren, Im saying a Ta'veren might have supposed to have become a Darkfriend-at the Wheels direction. So in short, if Taim isnt Moridin, I think he is a Ta'veren that was supposed to be seen as an ally for the likes of the Forsaken, so it has the freedom to get its hands dirty and the bad guys not get in its way.

Shadow steals assets everywhere. Wheel plans to steal them all back. Ta'veren becomes Darkfriend, makes Shadow think they stole everything, but it goes down in a way that can be stolen back. Reverse 13x13 weave? Hello Nynaeve.

But that is aaaaaaaall just an irrelevant backup theory in the event of Taim not being Moridin, which he is.

This was always a hard one to comprehend in the beginning. How Trollocs are constructs but have souls, are male and female and reproduce creating litters of Trollocs and the occasional Myrddraal.

Made more sense after finding out that all efforts to make them failed until the True Power was used.

Nym have souls, and they were made with the One Power. I don't see the problem with it - the Wheel can assign souls to constructs just as easily as it can assign souls to babies.

A Trolloc was part human to begin with. Theres that soul you were looking for. Trollocs breed, a child is born, the soul is there the same as with a human kid.

Nym souls are apparantly borrowed from the pool of souls awaiting rebirth, although I cant for the life of me find the quote for that! Hello Terez...

A Trolloc was part human to begin with. Theres that soul you were looking for. Trollocs breed, a child is born, the soul is there the same as with a human kid.

Nym souls are apparantly borrowed from the pool of souls awaiting rebirth, although I cant for the life of me find the quote for that! Hello Terez...

You think it's drawing from the source of human souls? Raises several questions - what about others, Nym, etc.? All human souls? Or are souls non-specific to species? If so, how is it that the Dragon Soul is always born human? Or is it always born human?

has he really said that? I haven't seen such quotes in the interview database. There are a few quotes about gholam but they are pretty confusing.

Week 6 Question: How were the gholams made? Were they created or bred like the Trollocs? How exactly are they controlled if they are immune to the One Power?

Robert Jordan Answers: The gholam---singular and plural are the same---were created, not bred. Supposedly their creation involved making them so that they would be obedient to the Chosen, whoever they might be at any given time. This was an attempt at copying something that had turned up in Myrddraal, which seem incapable of disobeying one of the Chosen, possibly because of the use of the True Power in creation of the Trollocs, the parent stock of the Myrddraal. Even Aginor, who created the Trollocs, and thus indirectly the Myrddraal, was uncertain about the actual cause. (Becoming one of the Forsaken involves receiving a mark from the Dark One in return for your oaths; this mark is invisible and cannot be sensed by another human being, even another of the Forsaken, but it can be [seen] by certain non-human creatures, including Myrddraal and draghkar among others. This may play a part in the Myrddraal's obedience but doesn't explain it completely.) This element in gholam has some flaws, however, as we have seen in a small measure. In any case, if I were you, I wouldn't try giving orders to a gholam unless I were one of the Forsaken.

Towers of Midnight Book Tour, Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Cincinnati, OH 3 November 2010 - Res Ipsa reporting

I asked Brandon since Shadowspawn die when they go through gateways was the gholam dead, or is it a construct? Brandon explained to me that it was not Shadowspawn and a gateway would not kill it. However he went on about gholam being limited by someone who can Travel. I didn't push that response because someone constantly being hunted would invariably have a moment where they were unawares so it was not really a limitation for the gholam to hunt channelers who can Travel

We discussed the gholam, if someone had pushed it through a gateway, would it have just died? Brandon said that gholam CAN go THROUGH gateways (from one place to another). He mentioned that this was the first time he had shared this information. Gholam are Shadowspawn of a more perfected kind. It would have been way too easy to kill if you just needed to shove it through a gateway (to another place). However, falling through the Skimming gateway for a few minutes did kill the gholam and it is really dead and it's not going to show up again.

First, there are clear contradictions here (is gholam shadowspawn or not). But more to the point RJ's original answer does indicate that gholam are constructs. they were created, not bred. And as such it should not matter if they are shadowspawn or not. If they are constructs they should not be able to pass through gateways. Nym are not shadowspawn, but they are constructs and RJ said that they couldn't pass through gateways.

The only "reasonable" explanation I see is that gholam are constructs but higher level ones and as such can pass through gateways when other constructs can not.

Question: How does the idea of souls apply to constructs such as Nym and Trollocs? Could either of them be reborn?

RJ: To whoever put this one forward, this is one of the best questions I've ever gotten! Nym and Trollocs both have souls, and either could be reborn, but since Nym were a pure construct (i.e. each of them was individually made, like hand-crafting) a Nym would not be reborn as a Nym. You might say that a Nym's soul was borrowed temporarily from the supply of souls awaiting rebirth. A Trolloc, however, bears a twisted, or corrupted soul, and would be reborn as a Trolloc. Though frankly, a Trolloc's soul is such a pitiful thing, it hardly seems worth calling a soul.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Wotmania_and_Dragonmount_Q%26A_December_9,_2002

When Trollocs are referred to as constructs here, I think either theyre talking about the original Trollocs or it was a mistake on the asker part, and RJ didnt notice. But Trollocs I dont see as constructs

- Fish

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Drekka! Good questions. I really like the one about what would happen if Mat or Perrin went Dark the way Rand did there for awhile. I am guessing, like with other aspects of The Big Three Ta'veren Tripod that we have seen, it would be very similar to what happened with Rand - only to a lesser extent.

Yea exactly, to a lesser degree. The thing I wonder about though, is can every Ta'veren bend the Pattern to their will? It would certainly explain Mats luck. Obviously a Ta'verens strength would still vary, but the thing that makes me wonder about the aura is... Brandon said the darkness was partly but not entirely down to his True Power use. I interpret that as... the darkness is based on his frame of mind entirely (food doesnt rot unless he goes all cold) but the True Power use affected his mentality. So I thought the potential for dark auras was already there in the Ta'veren, but the mentality change with True Power use helped the aura come about, if that makes sense. Thats how I saw it. It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

Mate, that was so well-put as well as true, I have to ask... Are you by any chance a writer???

Thanks for the kid words, Drekka. Believe it or not, I actually am - though, TRUST me, I am VERY aware that its not exactly likely-seeming based on my rather cavalier use of grammar and language on THIS forum, lol. Dragonmount is like my recess or playtime away from the real world so I just cut loose on the keyboard and have fun without checking every period or comma or crossing every 'T' or pausing to investigate whether every 'I' is dotted ;-)

- Fish

Archived