DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could ask Brandon ANY 3 Questions ... but HERE are the RULES!!!

Total Hypothetical Holodeck scenario, of course, since this can never actually happen, but:

If you could ask Brandon Sanderson ANY 3 Questions that he would PROMISE to answer...NO RAFOS/MAFOS or whathaveyou, what would your 3 be???

BUT...You have to follow THESE *RULES*

1 You can ask Mr Sanderson ONLY 3 - And NO two-part questions.

2 They may ONLY relate to TWO BOOKS in the whole series (TGS and TOM)....it should be obvious why this limitation is in place (he didn't take part in any of the books prior to TGS and AMOL should be prohibited for obvious Spoiler Reasons).

Here are what my 3 would be:

1 Is Nakomi Verin?

2 Who all has been 13/13ed in the BT? (We really only have confirmed: Tarna).

3 With regards to TOM, how do the extremely large number of errors, mistakes and typos make it past the editing process to appear in the finished book? ... Thats not rude, right? As paying customers we have a right to inquire about that, imo.

4 In TOM, when Rand goes off against the Trolloc army in Maradon, we see the scene through the POV of ITULRADE, - how can HE be describing ''Deathgates''??? He wasn't there in KOD when Rand described Deathgates the one and only time they have been shown in the series?

5 In the TOM prologue, why in the HECK does Graendal (a CHOSEN) refer to the Dark One AS the Dark One and NOT as the ''Great Lord'' as all Chosen ALWAYS do?

6 Where did he come up with ''Bloody ashes'' and why did he institute it TGS?

Yes, yes, I know I went a little over my own self-imposed limit, (actually, I think I doubled it) but...heck, when its YOUR Topic you get to break the rules, I guess, lol! ;-)

- Fish

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Can I be a beta reader for AMOL and any other possible future books?

2. What makes you think that Mormons and/or Christians have the 'absolute truth'?

3. Do you actually like me, or are you just humoring me for some obscure reason which I cannot determine?

I don't really know you, but your posts ALWAYS make me laugh. That's rare. There has only been one other poster in all these years I could ever say that about and it was yeeeears ago - I think her name was Isabel. And hers were funny in an oddly endearing kind of way, if memory serves. Theres one male poster here who always cracks me up but I can't say who because his ego doesn't need any more inflating (I'm teasing Mr Sir ;-) )

Now THAT would be a funny poll/thread: FUNNIEST DM Poster! - LOL!!!

As for your questions, I bet you don't even have to guess the rather short answer to number one, I'd imagine...number two's answer is probably a discussuon that would be so long it would make Brandon have to postpone AMOL and then we'd all have to beat you up ;-) ... As for number three, maybe its both??? HA!

- Fish

lol. Emma would just DIE if she knew you compared us like that. :biggrin:

I'm sure if I knew either of you i'd think that was funny too, LOL!!!

Btw...at the risk of threadjacking my own thread (which I really don't want to do because Im interested in what questions everyone would hypothetically ask) here is probably a good time to share that, coincidentally, just this morning I stumbled upon your Nakomi=Verin hypothesis on T.L. ... I wanted to say that I am deepy impressed by it, and, if I had MY way, it would turn out to be true...but that, sadly, I have my doubts. Why? Mainly because Jordan had a bad habit of having two characters have ALOT of quirky characteristics in common only to turn out to NOT be the same guy (Taim and Demandred as well as Gaidal and Olver come to mind) so, while Nakomi and Verin both have a love of good tea, and of (seemingly) prattling or rambling on, it is my fear that this is just another example of the classic RJ Misdirect.

- Fish

Who killed Asmodean...

1. If pitted against each other, who wins in TAR, Egwene or Perrin?

2. Because of what Nyneave saw delving Rand, taint-wise, how close did Rand come to being taint-insane

3. Is Demandred's securing his rule portrayed in either books

1. Explain what's up with Nyn's delving of Rand.

2. Is Rand on One Power steroids or is his power boost straight from Lews Therin?

3. Is Demandred's secure rule based upon a nation of the wetlands or not?

You have to be careful and pose your questions carefully to protect from Aes Sedai/Snakes and Foxes answers.

1. Who and what is the M'Hael of the Black Tower, who we know as Mazrim Taim?

2. Which characters that we see in these books will be bound as heroes to the Horn, or are already such Heroes reborn?

3. What is going on with Lanfear and Cyndane?

You have to be careful and pose your questions carefully to protect from Aes Sedai/Snakes and Foxes answers.

2. Which characters that we see in these books will be bound as heroes to the Horn, or are already such Heroes reborn?

Your second question is one I have always been highly curious about for some reason.

- Fish

1. Is Perrin's hammer just a "normal" power wrought weapon or is it more than "normal". Or to ask it another way, is every power wrought weapon done in the same process as Perrin's hammer with a blacksmith pouring his feelings and soul into the weapon with 8? channelers in a circle providing help?

2. Why does every single male main character seem to want to avoid positions of responsibility, but the female main characters seem to crave the positions of power? Ok, I guess it spans more than just the last two books.

3. Which character would last the longest against Chuck Norris? We know that Chuck Norris would win, but who would last the longest?

I've only got one for him: Can I be your editor for AMoL? Even with no qualifications and just a working knowledge of the english language I believe I'd do a better job than your current one.

Cheers

Amen.

- Fish

Wow. Harsh. How do you know she does a bad job? Maybe the original is far worse than the edited version. I'm not saying Harriet is a perfect editor, but she's certainly a good one.

why the restriction to the last two books? BS now owns the whole series and there are lots of things that were set up in early books that are coming to fruition now.

Also, I think you should add a requirement that questions should be such that they don't get obvious RAFOs (I'll add my own then). because many if not most questions I've seen mentioned thus far like is Namkomi=Verin or is Taim=Moridin would be definitely RAFO'd on the spot. So I wouldn't bother asking them as much as I'd like to know the answers. :biggrin:

BTW, speaking of funniest DM posters I think it's sleepinghour, hand down. No competition IMO. I have her posts on Mat's inbox and After Tarmon Gaidon permanently bookmarked.

I've only got one for him: Can I be your editor for AMoL? Even with no qualifications and just a working knowledge of the english language I believe I'd do a better job than your current one.

Cheers

ouch, give me back my arm! It's not that bad IMO although ToM was clearly rushed for publication and it shows in a number of ways including editing.

Cheers

Amen.

- Fish

Wow. Harsh. How do you know she does a bad job? Maybe the original is far worse than the edited version. I'm not saying Harriet is a perfect editor, but she's certainly a good one.

very harsh if she has not done a good job since the start why are you fans of the books?

Are you positive Harriet did the spell-checking and continuity checking by herself for TofM? I think she had a team of underlings do the majority of the work, or it was a Tor initiave. Either way it failed. If I submitted an essay in primary school that contained that level of basic grammatical errors my parents would have been called to the school in disgrace.

Maybe you got a first edition of Towers of Midnight, or maybe there are not nearly as many errors in it that you think there are.

I was a straight A student in English in high school and college, and I am certain that The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight were both edited very well and did not have enough grammatical and continuity mistakes to cause the editor's ability to be so disrespected.

Cheers

Amen.

- Fish

very harsh if she has not done a good job since the start why are you fans of the books?

OHHHHHHHHH BOY!!! ... Ok:

I don't think it is harsh, unkind or unfair to call something out when you are calling it out factually and accurately. And in a civil manner. The truth is - in terms of editing - TOM was atrocious. If Harriet was the Chief Editor, that is in no way a PERSONAL criticism of her. If I am your accountant and I screw up your taxes, and you tell me I did a lousy job, it doesn't mean you don't like me or think nasty things about me - it just means you are justifiably criticizing the JOB Performance that I had just turned in. That is fair - especially if you had paid me to do your taxes. I paid for my copy of TOM. I'm a customer and I deserve the finished product to be as good as it can be for my money. I have been with this series for 20 years, since Day One, and the editing has ALWAYS been a sensitive issue revolving around these books. It so infuriated Jordan that he stopped rushing the books in order to get them a ''Full Edit'' there around the middle of the series. But, speaking as someone who has read thousands of books in my life, I have never encountered a group of books with the amount of errors that the WOT books contain. I think it is fair and in no way nasty or harsh to state this here on DM. I'm sure we are all still paying customers who like and enjoy Harriet, RJ, Brandon Sanderson and the books themselves.

- Fish

Your second question is one I have always been highly curious about for some reason.

- Fish

After reflection, though, I'm changing it to:

2. Who and what are the red-veiled Aiel?

Maybe you got a first edition of Towers of Midnight, or maybe there are not nearly as many errors in it that you think there are.

I was a straight A student in English in high school and college, and I am certain that The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight were both edited very well and did not have enough grammatical and continuity mistakes to cause the editor's ability to be so disrespected.

I guess I got a first edition, as I owned it before the appearance of a 12 page thread listing typos and errata. And for all you eggshell walkers out there: This is The Wheel of Time. One of the most acclaimed fantasy series ever written, that ensured the author a place in the annals of history and thrust his family into the top 1% of wealth owners in the world. Personally I've contributed at least $300 over the years to that wealth solely in book purchases. I've given WoT a constant five years of my life (7 re-reads, 3 Leigh Butler FAQ re-reads, and countless hours forum trolling). It is not unreasonable to expect the high standard of editing to be maintained. Anyway I'm weighing out of this now.

Anyway another question: How has the secret of gunpowder been kept excusively by the Illuminators when every society and sect contains darkfriends that interract with eachother frequently and pool all their resources/secrets?

Archived