DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could ask Brandon ANY 3 Questions ... but HERE are the RULES!!!

Trollocs are constructs whether they are the originals because their genetics are lab-constructed with the True Power. It's not something that occurs in nature.

Brandon seems to be communicating on the gholam issue badly, but we all know what he meant. RJ said that constructs can't pass through gateways, so it is reasonable to assume that gholam are not constructs but rather modified humans. He never did respond to me or Luckers on the issue - we both asked him immediately after his tweets on the subject if he meant that they weren't constructs. Perhaps I'll corner him (or even better, Maria or Alan) on the issue at JCon.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total Hypothetical Holodeck scenario, of course, since this can never actually happen, but:

If you could ask Brandon Sanderson ANY 3 Questions that he would PROMISE to answer...NO RAFOS/MAFOS or whathaveyou, what would your 3 be???

Yes, yes, I know I went a little over my own self-imposed limit, (actually, I think I doubled it) but...heck, when its YOUR Topic you get to break the rules, I guess, lol! ;-)

- Fish

LOL, awesome thread, and kickass way to break the rules!

Right. First off I would ask Brandon which parts of TGS he wrote. Im talking a line-by-line breakdown of which wordings he came up with and which RJ had left prepared. The reason is I want to know who did what with Dark Rand-EASILY my favorite Rand phase, it was just amazing, I never knew I was waiting for that kind of anger in Rand until I saw it. Very satisfying, I just wonder how much of it Brandon created.

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Third. If Mat or Perrin went uber evil would they have the same darkness around them in their moodswings like Rand in TGS?

Drekka! Good questions. I really like the one about what would happen if Mat or Perrin went Dark the way Rand did there for awhile. I am guessing, like with other aspects of The Big Three Ta'veren Tripod that we have seen, it would be very similar to what happened with Rand - only to a lesser extent.

Yea exactly, to a lesser degree. The thing I wonder about though, is can every Ta'veren bend the Pattern to their will? It would certainly explain Mats luck. Obviously a Ta'verens strength would still vary, but the thing that makes me wonder about the aura is... Brandon said the darkness was partly but not entirely down to his True Power use. I interpret that as... the darkness is based on his frame of mind entirely (food doesnt rot unless he goes all cold) but the True Power use affected his mentality. So I thought the potential for dark auras was already there in the Ta'veren, but the mentality change with True Power use helped the aura come about, if that makes sense. Thats how I saw it. It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

As for my opinion that I have always thought Mat and Perrin have more ''personality'' than Rand, I just think it is an effect of a protaganist-driven fantasy that the sidekicks are allowed more freedom to become distinct whereas the centrol ''hero'' is saddled with the literary job of often having to serve as a reflection for the story around him and suffer from being the tool for which exposition and infodump prose is expunged.

Mate, that was so well-put as well as true, I have to ask... Are you by any chance a writer???

Thanks for the kid words, Drekka. Believe it or not, I actually am - though, TRUST me, I am VERY aware that its not exactly likely-seeming based on my rather cavalier use of grammar and language on THIS forum.

Nah give over, you do better than me at grammar and whatnot. Im AWESOME at not proofreading my posts...

Anyway get yourself registered in the ACW section and come talk about writing with us!

3. Someone already asked him. The gholam is not a construct. Not all Shadowspawn are constructs - Trollocs, Draghkar, and Myrddraal are, but Gray Men and Darkhounds are not. Darkhounds are modified wolves; Gray Men and gholam are modified humans.

This was always a hard one to comprehend in the beginning. How Trollocs are constructs but have souls, are male and female and reproduce creating litters of Trollocs and the occasional Myrddraal.

Made more sense after finding out that all efforts to make them failed until the True Power was used.

Nym have souls, and they were made with the One Power. I don't see the problem with it - the Wheel can assign souls to constructs just as easily as it can assign souls to babies.

Oh it's not that I don't buy it, it is just that constructs having actual souls in most fantasy settings is quite rare or at the very least under heavy debate at the writers intention or as a plot device.

When RJ flat out said they did, it just took me by surprise.

Thtas true but Towers of midnight felt rushed and packed full of stuff happening without giving the events the breathing room they deserved.

Also I'd ask him if a slice of buttered toast is strapped onto a cats back with butter facing towards the sky and then said cat is dropped from a height that wouldn't hurt it, would the cat and toast just spin perpetually above the ground?

PERFECTLY put - and also why the title of my Official TOM Review is Beautiful Disaster.

- Fish

1. Any chance you could split the last book in three? So much has to happen and I don't want a feeling of it being rushed or skipped over and most importantly when its over what do I do now?

2. Could you make Taim turn out to be Demandred after all? Now that's a turnip for the books.

3. Could you name the newly invented train that runs from Cahirien Thomas? He could be a very helpful engine in the last battle.

OTT Old Buddy, I am SERIOUSLY hoping that your Number 1 was ALL Tongue In Cheek ... Youre not forgetting, I presume, that AMOL has ALREADY been split into three books, are you, lol??? ;-)

(TGS, TOM AMOL)

- Fish

Ah yeah I'm serious. In the dead of the night, when all doubts and worries about the future of the fantasy genre come home to roost, if we came across the news came of further splitting of the books, we would rejoice and praise the lords of book publishing.

What will we read when it's over and there isn't anymore? Read the series again and then notice the last three books weren't that great.

Of course, that's a problem that can really cut both ways - what if there's enough for one very long last book, or two shorter last books? Bulking it up to three last books wouyld require a lot of padding, which is one of the big problems people have with the middle books anyway. If I heard about the last book being split in three, I would be very annoyed, and pretty sure that they didn't really know what they were doing.

Anyway, at present I only have one question for BS, but it's a tough one. A question mankind has struggled with since the dawn of civilisation. A question so profound its answer could shake our knowledge of the universe to its foundations: Why is orange jam called marmalade?

As well ask ''Why is the sky blue?''...''Why is water wet?''... ''Why are women......uh......the way they are?''

Regarding your OTHER point. I agree to a, uh, point. BUT, I have to say that I DO like the idea of a final dualogy. AMOL Parts 1 and 2 to as the 4th and 5th installments of the storie's end which began with its first installment - TGS.

- Fish

Total Hypothetical Holodeck scenario, of course, since this can never actually happen, but:

If you could ask Brandon Sanderson ANY 3 Questions that he would PROMISE to answer...NO RAFOS/MAFOS or whathaveyou, what would your 3 be???

Yes, yes, I know I went a little over my own self-imposed limit, (actually, I think I doubled it) but...heck, when its YOUR Topic you get to break the rules, I guess, lol! ;-)

- Fish

Right. First off I would ask Brandon which parts of TGS he wrote. Im talking a line-by-line breakdown of which wordings he came up with and which RJ had left prepared. The reason is I want to know who did what with Dark Rand-EASILY my favorite Rand phase, it was just amazing, I never knew I was waiting for that kind of anger in Rand until I saw it. Very satisfying, I just wonder how much of it Brandon created.

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Third. If Mat or Perrin went uber evil would they have the same darkness around them in their moodswings like Rand in TGS?

Drekka! Good questions. I really like the one about what would happen if Mat or Perrin went Dark the way Rand did there for awhile. I am guessing, like with other aspects of The Big Three Ta'veren Tripod that we have seen, it would be very similar to what happened with Rand - only to a lesser extent.

Yea exactly, to a lesser degree. The thing I wonder about though, is can every Ta'veren bend the Pattern to their will? It would certainly explain Mats luck. Obviously a Ta'verens strength would still vary, but the thing that makes me wonder about the aura is... Brandon said the darkness was partly but not entirely down to his True Power use. I interpret that as... the darkness is based on his frame of mind entirely (food doesnt rot unless he goes all cold) but the True Power use affected his mentality. So I thought the potential for dark auras was already there in the Ta'veren, but the mentality change with True Power use helped the aura come about, if that makes sense. Thats how I saw it. It would explain my backup theory on Taim being a Ta'veren-come-Darkfriend-Winters Heart was the first time we see Taim openly act evil, and he had the dark aura.

As for my opinion that I have always thought Mat and Perrin have more ''personality'' than Rand, I just think it is an effect of a protaganist-driven fantasy that the sidekicks are allowed more freedom to become distinct whereas the centrol ''hero'' is saddled with the literary job of often having to serve as a reflection for the story around him and suffer from being the tool for which exposition and infodump prose is expunged.

Mate, that was so well-put as well as true, I have to ask... Are you by any chance a writer???

Thanks for the kid words, Drekka. Believe it or not, I actually am - though, TRUST me, I am VERY aware that its not exactly likely-seeming based on my rather cavalier use of grammar and language on THIS forum.

Nah give over, you do better than me at grammar and whatnot. Im AWESOME at not proofreading my posts...

Anyway get yourself registered in the ACW section and come talk about writing with us!

Thanks for the invite! And anyone else besides me that uses 'whatnot' is pretty high in my book, lol!

- Fish

Second. Hows Beidemon?

Thanks for the invite! And anyone else besides me that uses 'whatnot' is pretty high in my book, lol!

This response would be soooo different if we werent PG-13 restricted.

Thtas true but Towers of midnight felt rushed and packed full of stuff happening without giving the events the breathing room they deserved.

Also I'd ask him if a slice of buttered toast is strapped onto a cats back with butter facing towards the sky and then said cat is dropped from a height that wouldn't hurt it, would the cat and toast just spin perpetually above the ground?

We can test that last - all we need is a pet cat, some buttered toast, and a strap. And while ToM was rushed in parts, bear in mind it could have been longer than it was. There was breathing room available, it just wasn't used.

As well ask ''Why is the sky blue?''...''Why is water wet?''... ''Why are women......uh......the way they are?''
Well, for that last the answer varies depending on if you're a man or a woman. If a man, you blame hormones, if you're a woman you blame men.

I dont know how I missed this, but Jesus Horatio, Ive not read anything that funny in time!

I've only got one for him: Can I be your editor for AMoL? Even with no qualifications and just a working knowledge of the english language I believe I'd do a better job than your current one.

Cheers

Amen.

- Fish

Wow. Harsh. How do you know she does a bad job? Maybe the original is far worse than the edited version. I'm not saying Harriet is a perfect editor, but she's certainly a good one.

very harsh if she has not done a good job since the start why are you fans of the books?

Herriet was also editor for Ender's Game (which is a great book and very, very well edited). So, I throw my hat in her defense as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she was not the final editor of TOM or that the editing was done in a very, very short time and under very weird circumstances.

Some of my favorite questions in this thread that might not get RAFOd on the spot.

1. Can I be a beta reader for AMOL and any other possible future books?

+1 on that for me.

1. What happened to Jain Farstrider prior to his memory loss?

1) can I have complete access to all of robert jordans notes (and yours) for all of wot universe

I know what the answer will be but I'd still like to ask.

Bonus:

If you were given the opportunity to bitch-slap one character in the series, who would it be and why?

This might be the best question in this thread thus far.

My three questions for Brandon:

1. If you could rewrite the storylines of any major character(s) the way you'd like, rather than the way RJ intended, what would you change?

3. Which currently popular fan theories should be abandoned as ridiculous or outrageous?

like both of these.

Right. First off I would ask Brandon which parts of TGS he wrote.

I'd very much like to know too (same for ToM of course). Most particularly I'd like to know who wrote "The last that could be done". One of the best scenes in the entire series IMO. This question does show that despite all our grumbling about this and that in tGS and ToM, BS did a creditable enough job that it's often very hard to tell who wrote what.

Anyway I thought I'd finally throw in a few questions. As I mentioned, I think they should be such that they wouldn't be immediately RAFOd.

1. Could LT have possibly properly sealed the bore in AoL (possibly with the help of women) without tainting either sadin or saidar?

2. Could Shaidar Haran teach Elza any weaves himself?

3. Has LT's ability to recognize souls been manifested in books prior to tGS?

4. What exactly did Graendal see when Aran'gar wove compulsion on Ramshalan (Aran'gar channels saidin)?

5. Can poison from bloodknives ter'angreal rings be Healed?

6. Can we please see the detailed chronology of tGS/ToM? BS said that he has one but he prefers sending people to fan created chronologies. There are actually none available for ToM and only one draft (by Steven Cooper) for tGS. I asked Steven Cooper if he was planning to update it or to make one for ToM and he said that he tried and failed to resolve a number of timeline issues and finally gave up. He said that because of that he wasn't going to update the chronology until after AMoL comes out.

7. Did Alviarin kill Carlinya? This one is pretty inconsequential but I'd still like an answer.

Archived