DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aviendah's next move

White_star

Just throwing this out there...

I believe the Aiel rejected the Dragon's peace based on their honor system and the RULE of WO captives, I will find a quote and edit but a WO said , "...a year and a day..." maybe this is why the Aiel refused to keep the peace or refused to sign it.

"How long can we wait," Alaved said "knowing that they have Aiel women captive with those bracelets of theirs? It has been years, and they still continue to refusle all offers of payment and barter! They return our civility with rudeness and insults."

"What say the Dragon's Children?" Ronam asked looking at the four of them.

"I say we must reclaim our own who are held by the Seanchan,: said Marinna. She was training to be a Wise One.

"The Aiel must have a purpose," Janduin said, nodding. "We are useless as we are, and we made no promise not to attack. It is a testament to our patience and respect for my father that we have waited this long."

"The Dragon wanted peace," she replied

"The Dragon left us!" Taki said. "I refuse to follow the memory of a man my greatfathers barely knew. We made no oaths to follow his foolish pact." We-"

The often repeated point that Rand failed to plan for the Aiel post LB coud have been interpreted as a sign of respect...I suspect he figured that the Aiel (who existed for centuries in a system based upon honor) would need little if any requirements for them to continue to live honorably. As I write this I am certain that the "price" he has said he will exact from the leaders of the world before he does as he must...I am almost certain that he considered that the Aiel had paid that price and more in the battle already. And made no formal request of the Aiel (loophole)

Based on this I think Avi has to ensure he and the WOs do all possible to first have all women who could channel released after the LB, and I have no idea how you plan for a people who have never had a ruler, but I like the idea of LTT memories offering the Aiel their whole history perhaps in front of all the leaders on the FoM thus inspiring a reverance for the Aiel outside of the warrior society they became for this turn of the wheel. They have Rhuidean which isn't a wasteland now, but once again the plan for the future of a nation who have never had a ruler there has to be more not sure what it could be, but I do believe outside of these things there is little the DR can do.

T

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just throwing this out there...

I believe the Aiel rejected the Dragon's peace based on their honor system and the RULE of WO captives, I will find a quote and edit but a WO said , "...a year and a day..." maybe this is why the Aiel refused to keep the peace or refused to sign it.

"How long can we wait," Alaved said "knowing that they have Aiel women captive with those bracelets of theirs? It has been years, and they still continue to refusle all offers of payment and barter! They return our civility with rudeness and insults."

"I say we must reclaim our own who are held by the Seanchan,: said Marinna. She was training to be a Wise One.

"The Aiel must have a purpose," Janduin said, nodding. "We are useless as we are, and we made no promise not to attack. It is a testament to our patience and respect for my father that we have waited this long."

"The Dragon left us!" Taki said. "I refuse to follow the memory of a man my greatfathers barely knew. We made no oaths to follow his foolish pact." We-"

The often repeated point that Rand failed to plan for the Aiel post LB coud have been interpreted as a sign of respect...I suspect he figured that the Aiel (who existed for centuries in a system based upon honor) would need little if any requirements for them to continue to live honorably. As I write this I am certain that the "price" he has said he will exact from the leaders of the world before he does as he must...I am almost certain that he considered that the Aiel had paid that price and more in the battle already. And made no formal request of the Aiel (loophole)

Based on this I think Avi has to ensure he and the WOs do all possible to first have all women who could channel released after the LB, and I have no idea how you plan for a people who have never had a ruler, but I like the idea of LTT memories offering the Aiel their whole history perhaps in front of all the leaders on the FoM thus inspiring a reverance for the Aiel outside of the warrior society they became for this turn of the wheel. They have Rhuidean which isn't a wasteland now, but once again the plan for the future of a nation who have never had a ruler there has to be more not sure what it could be, but I do believe outside of these things there is little the DR can do.

T

Maybe I am barking up the wrong Avensdora tree, but the mention that the Aiel person Taki the he "refuse to follow the memory of a man my greatfathers barely knew..."

doesnt that imply that Rand was barely around when his greatfathers were old? So when did he get busy with Avi and make these damn kids? As an old man or did he use the power to freeze his junk?

I'm thinking this future of the Aiel is several turns of the wheel in the future, and Mat and Fortuona are long gone...anyone with me here?

T

Maybe I am barking up the wrong Avensdora tree, but the mention that the Aiel person Taki the he "refuse to follow the memory of a man my greatfathers barely knew..."

doesnt that imply that Rand was barely around when his greatfathers were old? So when did he get busy with Avi and make these damn kids? As an old man or did he use the power to freeze his junk?

I'm thinking this future of the Aiel is several turns of the wheel in the future, and Mat and Fortuona are long gone...anyone with me here?

The quote from Taki is actually 3-4 generations in the future (150-240 years uneducated guess based on 60 year life expectancy), the one referring to the children of the dragon are only 1 generation ahead which was what lead to the formal declaration of war. This "vision" is the same type of bloodline generational history that Rand learned the history of the Aiel, only this time it starts generations in the future and works back to 1 generation prior to this one. The first revelations show not only that the Aiel are at war but also how badly they are losing, then it progresses back in time to show the enemy, the corruption of Ji e' Toh, and their reasoning and why they went to war. What I think is really of import to the Aiel of this generation will be the corruption of their honor system as seen here...

"That...creature had no honor," she said. "She has ruined us."

Once again I am still at a loss as to a reasonable solution Rand can offer to prevent this future at the time the Pact is made...I insist the WO need to take action because somewhere the teaching was corrupted by the leadership of the Aiel and they have to make a plan to confront this immediately, as only one generation will pass before the Aiel look to the "Children of the Dragon" as if they are some kind of lords (an unacceptable act by their current standards.) Rand needs to try very hard to do something about the collared WO this may buy time but the fact is the loss of the meaning of Ji e' Toh will happen quickly Avi, Rand, Ruarc, Tuon and countless others will be dead before Rand's children are of age to lead their nation to war

Once again I am still at a loss as to a reasonable solution Rand can offer to prevent this future at the time the Pact is made...I insist the WO need to take action because somewhere the teaching was corrupted by the leadership of the Aiel and they have to make a plan to confront this immediately, as only one generation will pass before the Aiel look to the "Children of the Dragon" as if they are some kind of lords (an unacceptable act by their current standards.) Rand needs to try very hard to do something about the collared WO this may buy time but the fact is the loss of the meaning of Ji e' Toh will happen quickly Avi, Rand, Ruarc, Tuon and countless others will be dead before Rand's children are of age to lead their nation to war

He has to give them some grand goal, something which will keep them occupied for hundreds if not thousands of years. Nothing against the Aiel, but if there is such a thing as a fanatic gene they have it. In spades. The Aiel as a people take everything completely over the top. It was that way with the Da'shain and it is that way with the current Aiel and the tinkers.

After TG the Aiel will need something new to be fanatic about.

If Avi does rediscover Singing or the making of Nym or Rand teaches them how for that matter by itself that wouldn't be enough, but if it combined with some new racial duty it might as well be. The more ridiculously grand the duty the better.

For example if Rand made them the "caretakers" of the world with the command to heal it from the scars the DO and the coming Breaking left or if Rand gave them the admittedly Dune-ish duty to transform the Waste into some sort of paradise. The latter would have have some sort of poetic justice imo. For thousands of years the Aiel have lived in the most inhospitable place on earth, if after TG and with the efforts of the Aiel it became a paradise for the aiel that would be only just.

Either way, it would occupy the Aiel for quite some time and by then they probably would have mellowed and such an ecologic duty would be a good step towards returning to the way of the leaf at some point in the future.

has it been confirmed that thats the dagger he has on him? i havent seen that and im of a mind that its just a regular dagger...i think it more likely that doing something to the columns to see the aiel future is a better reason for her to have that talent barring that there isnt a better one in aMoL

Rand has never worn a dagger before the cover. And if he were to change that during his rendezvous at Shayol Ghul, wouldn't he take a dagger that would be useful to him against the DO?

As to confirmation, it isn't possible to confirm that before AMoL is published. So, it is more connecting the dots than facts confirmed by text and interviews.

I always though the dagger was leaf shaped or really wide. The dagger in the picture looks really thin.

Personally with the future that Avi saw there is no way around letting the Seachan go free.

It is known to her now that the Seachan will oppress her people and they will sometime in the future be shattered, broken and hunted into extinction.

It also shows her how powerful the Seachan will become. The White Tower will fall, the Asha will be hunted, and pretty much the entire world will fall under their rule. So I think Avi, knowing this, will try and convince the kingdoms of the world to unite together after the last battle to take out the Seachan.

Personally with the future that Avi saw there is no way around letting the Seachan go free.

It is known to her now that the Seachan will oppress her people and they will sometime in the future be shattered, broken and hunted into extinction.

It also shows her how powerful the Seachan will become. The White Tower will fall, the Asha will be hunted, and pretty much the entire world will fall under their rule. So I think Avi, knowing this, will try and convince the kingdoms of the world to unite together after the last battle to take out the Seachan.

But Aviendha saw that her people were lost after TG. They kept fighting for the sake of fighting; which goes against the core of ji'e'toh. And If I remember the visions correctly, it was the Aiel who broke the Dragon's Peace and started the hostilities against the Seanchan. The initial blame is on the Aiel, not the Seanchan.

But Aviendha saw that her people were lost after TG. They kept fighting for the sake of fighting; which goes against the core of ji'e'toh. And If I remember the visions correctly, it was the Aiel who broke the Dragon's Peace and started the hostilities against the Seanchan. The initial blame is on the Aiel, not the Seanchan.

The Seanchan were still keeping a number of Aiel as prisoners as I recall so it's unfair to put all the blame on the Aiel.

The Seanchan were still keeping a number of Aiel as prisoners as I recall so it's unfair to put all the blame on the Aiel.

Padra and some Maidens killed a Seanchan patrol in Arad Doman where they are allowed to enter under the Dragon's peace. Then the council of clan chiefs decided to launch a war against the Seanchan. Regarding the imprisoned WO's, when and where were they imprisoned?

Padra and some Maidens killed a Seanchan patrol in Arad Doman where they are allowed to enter under the Dragon's peace. Then the council of clan chiefs decided to launch a war against the Seanchan. Regarding the imprisoned WO's, when and where were they imprisoned?

There were a number of Wise Ones still kept as Damane since before TG. The Shaido Wise Ones, that's probably the ones they are referring to, though it's not completely impossible that the Seanchan may yet capture others before TG.

Also since the Aiel were not bound by the Dragon's Peace the terms don't apply to them and the Seanchan were well aware of that. To send a military patrol into the lands claimed by the Aiel, knowing they don't adhere to the Dragon's Peace is a clear provocation.

There were a number of Wise Ones still kept as Damane since before TG. The Shaido Wise Ones, that's probably the ones they are referring to, though it's not completely impossible that the Seanchan may yet capture others before TG.

Also since the Aiel were not bound by the Dragon's Peace the terms don't apply to them and the Seanchan were well aware of that. To send a military patrol into the lands claimed by the Aiel, knowing they don't adhere to the Dragon's Peace is a clear provocation.

How has Arad Doman become Aiel claimed land? My impression is that the Aiel maintained camps there; but not claimed the kingdom as their own. And the Aiel admit that under the Dragon's peace the Seanchan are allowed to send military patrols into Arad Doman.

As to the Shaido WO's still imprisoned by the Seanchan, they are not the reason the Aiel went to war. The main reason was that the Aiel spears were restless for 17 years; and they only knew "war." They were stuck with that lonely option and followed it to their destruction. If they didn't see themselves as "warriors only" and found another purpose, they would not have been so obsessed with the Seanchan.

According to those visions the Aiel have a blood-feud with the Seachan. As I remember, since I read it recently, the Aiel continued to try and convince the Seachan to release the wise ones they were holding captive but it was always met with silence. So after a year and a day, it all became a blood-feud. And in the Aiel world, that means War is already at hand, so the killing of that patrol was pretty much just business as usual.

Throughout you do see a shift in the ideals of Ji'e'toh and all that, but the means to the end is something Avi already see's occuring. The capturing of Wise Ones ( in TGS the aiel are already talking about this and it becoming a blood fued ) and that becoming the inevitable war between them and the Seachan.

The only thing that makes it impossible for the Aiel to be victorious is the fact that the other nations of the land are bound by the Dragons Peace and will not enter the war against the Seachan. If that happened from the start, something tells me the Aiel would be victorious. Since then alone were able to fight the Seachan into a Stalemate. With everyone else at their backs, a victory is highly likely.

According to those visions the Aiel have a blood-feud with the Seachan. As I remember, since I read it recently, the Aiel continued to try and convince the Seachan to release the wise ones they were holding captive but it was always met with silence. So after a year and a day, it all became a blood-feud. And in the Aiel world, that means War is already at hand, so the killing of that patrol was pretty much just business as usual.

Throughout you do see a shift in the ideals of Ji'e'toh and all that, but the means to the end is something Avi already see's occuring. The capturing of Wise Ones ( in TGS the aiel are already talking about this and it becoming a blood fued ) and that becoming the inevitable war between them and the Seachan.

The only thing that makes it impossible for the Aiel to be victorious is the fact that the other nations of the land are bound by the Dragons Peace and will not enter the war against the Seachan. If that happened from the start, something tells me the Aiel would be victorious. Since then alone were able to fight the Seachan into a Stalemate. With everyone else at their backs, a victory is highly likely.

I guess that a unified Randland could defeat the Seanchan; but how much of what we know today as Randland will survive the Last Battle? And will Randland be ready or want another bloody war? Or would they prefer peace?

• 2 months later...

I don't believe Aviendha's visions of the future are what's coming. Certain things seem seriously out of place - it's like the visions were made from what Aviendha knew was going on at that time and what she feared. My reasons -

1. Rhuarc's son is chief. He seems hale and hearty, so I'm guessing it's no more than 20-40 years into the future (as he says that he saw Rand when he first came to the Three Fold Land).

2. 20-40 years into the future and there's no sign and nothing said about Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Elayne, Rand, Nynaeve or Aviendha. Aviendha figures she's the girl's mother. So, unless all of these people are dead (or gone off somewhere unknown), someone should have been mentioned, I think.

- I can understand if Rand and his three ladies had disappeared. Fair enough. Perrin and Mat, if they live through the last battle, would be pretty big figures in the land, I'm guessing. The lack of mention of Mat bothers me, especially. He's married to the Empress. He would be known to be a friend of Rand. Doesn't make sense for there to be no mention of him at all.

I know she says it feels more real but I just don't see it.

I don't believe Aviendha's visions of the future are what's coming. Certain things seem seriously out of place - it's like the visions were made from what Aviendha knew was going on at that time and what she feared. My reasons -

1. Rhuarc's son is chief. He seems hale and hearty, so I'm guessing it's no more than 20-40 years into the future (as he says that he saw Rand when he first came to the Three Fold Land).

2. 20-40 years into the future and there's no sign and nothing said about Perrin, Mat, Egwene, Elayne, Rand, Nynaeve or Aviendha. Aviendha figures she's the girl's mother. So, unless all of these people are dead (or gone off somewhere unknown), someone should have been mentioned, I think.

- I can understand if Rand and his three ladies had disappeared. Fair enough. Perrin and Mat, if they live through the last battle, would be pretty big figures in the land, I'm guessing. The lack of mention of Mat bothers me, especially. He's married to the Empress. He would be known to be a friend of Rand. Doesn't make sense for there to be no mention of him at all.

It was said in the vision that Tuon died, I'd assume that whoever became empress after that wouldn't really care who Mat was if Tuon is dead.

And that's assuming he didn't just die fighting the last battle, along with Tuon.

It was said in the vision that Tuon died, I'd assume that whoever became empress after that wouldn't really care who Mat was if Tuon is dead.

And that's assuming he didn't just die fighting the last battle, along with Tuon.

Yeah, but it's all of them. That means all of them are dead. You'd think some of Rand's friends might have something to do with his kids - especially if he's gone. Elayne wasn't there, their children were. Nynaeve, who's going with him to SG, not there. Perrin, his lifelong friend and Bannerman, not there. Rhuarc, not there. Not one of them is there. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Yeah, but it's all of them. That means all of them are dead. You'd think some of Rand's friends might have something to do with his kids - especially if he's gone. Elayne wasn't there, their children were. Nynaeve, who's going with him to SG, not there. Perrin, his lifelong friend and Bannerman, not there. Rhuarc, not there. Not one of them is there. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this also. I'm guessing something major must have happened for them to all just dissapear like this.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this also. I'm guessing something major must have happened for them to all just dissapear like this.

Could be. I think it's more a matter of not wanting to give anything away when writing about the future. I think plenty of the main characters are going to live (but, we'll see. I could end up very surprised). If I'm right, you'd think that Amys or Melaine or Egwene (Amyrlin with strong ties to the WOs) or Nynaeve (loves Rand like a brother or son or cousin) would have something to say. Some mention of one of them having words with his kids.

Aviendha had to live through the last battle to have the children. She's not even pregnant yet. She may have taken off somewhere with Rand, but someone from his close friends, family, advisors, etc must be around and talking to the children. Just my opinion. Obviously, what the hell do I know. ;)

Could be. I think it's more a matter of not wanting to give anything away when writing about the future. I think plenty of the main characters are going to live (but, we'll see. I could end up very surprised). If I'm right, you'd think that Amys or Melaine or Egwene (Amyrlin with strong ties to the WOs) or Nynaeve (loves Rand like a brother or son or cousin) would have something to say. Some mention of one of them having words with his kids.

Aviendha had to live through the last battle to have the children. She's not even pregnant yet. She may have taken off somewhere with Rand, but someone from his close friends, family, advisors, etc must be around and talking to the children. Just my opinion. Obviously, what the hell do I know. ;)

Maybe the Martinesque scene BS had to write was Red Wedding type of thing that happened after LB was done, and all main characters died. Lol.

The children of the Dragon in the vision could of been 70 at that time and Avi was around long enough for them to remember her face, so atleast 4-5 years after their birth.

I don't think so. Rhuarc's son was clan chief and he wasn't old. He was alive when Rand came to the 3 fold land.

Archived