DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Books chronologically

magicdelphi

I've been reading WOT for quite a few years but took a hiatus to wait for the books to catch up to me. Now I'd like to re-read them from the start but I'm very confused because in my research I've noticed prequels, prologues and other books with the same storyline. I think I have it right but I'd like to confirm from some WOT extreme fans. Is this the order to read them in...?

Wheel Of Time Prequel 01 - (Historical) - The Strike At Shayol Ghul

Wheel Of Time Prequel 02 - (Legends) - New Spring

Wheel Of Time Prequel 03 - Ravens

01. Dragonmount

02. Prologue - Embers Falling on Dry Grass

03. Prince of the blood

04. Ravens

05. The Shaping of a World

06. Wheel Of Time 01 - The Eye Of The World

07. Wheel Of Time 02 - The Great Hunt

08. Wheel Of Time 03 - The Dragon Reborn

09. Wheel Of Time 04 - The Shadow Rising

10. Wheel Of Time 05 - The Fires Of Heaven

11. Wheel Of Time 06 - Lord Of Chaos

12. Wheel Of Time 07 - A Crown Of Swords

13. Wheel Of Time 08 - The Path Of Daggers

14. Wheel Of Time 09 - Winter's Heart

15. Wheel of Time 9.5 - Snow - Prologue To Winter's Heart

16. Wheel Of Time 10 - Crossroads Of Twilight

17. Wheel of Time 10.1 - Glimmers

18. Wheel Of Time 11 - Knife of Dreams

19. Wheel Of Time 12 - The Gathering Storm

20. Wheel Of Time 13 - Towers of Midnight

Thanks in advance for all your help and have a wonderful day!!

Magicdelphi

I've been reading WOT for quite a few years but took a hiatus to wait for the books to catch up to me. Now I'd like to re-read them from the start but I'm very confused because in my research I've noticed prequels, prologues and other books with the same storyline. I think I have it right but I'd like to confirm from some WOT extreme fans. Is this the order to read them in...?

01. Dragonmount

03. Prince of the blood

04. Ravens

Magicdelphi

Do not read them in that order. A lot of those are prologues of books, some later in the series. If you want to read chronologically you'd read

1. The Strike at Shayol Ghul (though you could just skip this)

2. New Spring-The Novel (this is an expanded version of the short story that appears in Legends, read the novel)

3. Ravens (Also can be skipped, it's in From the Two Rivers the first of TEotW YA split books, it's only a chapter, about 20 pages, this leads right in to...)

4. The Eye of the World (this includes Dragonmount)

5. The Great Hunt

6. The Dragon Reborn

7. The Shadow Rising

8. The Fires of Heaven

9. Lord of Chaos

10. A Crown of Swords

11. The Path of Daggers

12. Winter's Heart (Snow is WH's Prologue and is included)

13. Crossroads of Twilight (Glimmers of the Pattern is CoT's Prologue and is included)

14. Knife of Dreams (Embers Falling on Dry Grass is KoD's Prologue and is included)

15. The Gathering Storm

16. Towers of Midnight

That's it. I'm not sure what "The Shaping of the World" is. Could be in "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time," and if so totally skippable. Not sure what "Prince of the Blood" is either. A lot of the talk about prequels is due to Jordan planning 3 prequels, of which New Spring the Novel is the only one we ever received. There's some talk of maybe Brandon finishing the other two, but we won't know until after AMoL is released. The Prologues being talked about, or sold, separately from the novels they appear in is because Tor likes to promote a new WoT book by releasing it's Prologue ahead of time to entice readers. You might also stumble about The Gathering Storm's Prologue "What the Storm Means" or Towers of Midnight's "Distinctions." All the Prologues appear in their novels and should be read as they appear in the series.

01. Dragonmount

03. Prince of the blood

04. Ravens

Magicdelphi

Do not read them in that order. A lot of those are prologues of books, some later in the series. If you want to read chronologically you'd read

1. The Strike at Shayol Ghul (though you could just skip this)

2. New Spring-The Novel (this is an expanded version of the short story that appears in Legends, read the novel)

3. Ravens (Also can be skipped, it's in From the Two Rivers the first of TEotW YA split books, it's only a chapter, about 20 pages, this leads right in to...)

4. The Eye of the World (this includes Dragonmount)

5. The Great Hunt

6. The Dragon Reborn

7. The Shadow Rising

8. The Fires of Heaven

9. Lord of Chaos

10. A Crown of Swords

11. The Path of Daggers

12. Winter's Heart (Snow is WH's Prologue and is included)

13. Crossroads of Twilight (Glimmers of the Pattern is CoT's Prologue and is included)

14. Knife of Dreams (Embers Falling on Dry Grass is KoD's Prologue and is included)

15. The Gathering Storm

16. Towers of Midnight

That's it. I'm not sure what "The Shaping of the World" is. Could be in "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time," and if so totally skippable. Not sure what "Prince of the Blood" is either. A lot of the talk about prequels is due to Jordan planning 3 prequels, of which New Spring the Novel is the only one we ever received. There's some talk of maybe Brandon finishing the other two, but we won't know until after AMoL is released. The Prologues being talked about, or sold, separately from the novels they appear in is because Tor likes to promote a new WoT book by releasing it's Prologue ahead of time to entice readers. You might also stumble about The Gathering Storm's Prologue "What the Storm Means" or Towers of Midnight's "Distinctions." All the Prologues appear in their novels and should be read as they appear in the series.

"The Shaping of the World" is basically Jordan explaining how the world as we know it came to be. It's fairly short, and you need not read it.

Also, I'd consider reading 'New Spring' where it was written rather than where it fits chronologically (i.e. before/after LoC).

Also, I'd consider reading 'New Spring' where it was written rather than where it fits chronologically (i.e. before/after LoC).

What he said. I can't recall exactly when it was written, but I wouldn't advise reading it until after at least book 5 or so.

03. Prince of the blood

Prince of the Blood is a Raymond E. Feist novel, not a Robert Jordan one.

"The Shaping of the World" is basically Jordan explaining how the world as we know it came to be. It's fairly short, and you need not read it.

Say what now? I have no knowledge of this. Where is it listed? Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Strike at Shayol Goul, which is written in a historical sense describing the events that led up to, and caused the strike to occur?

Say what now? I have no knowledge of this. Where is it listed? Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Strike at Shayol Goul[...]?

Fairly certain :smile:

Wizards of the Coast is an old website which - as far as I can tell - featured this short article of RJ's. It's listed here, and the article itself can be read here

Nope, thats not RJ. My guess is its some form of fan recitation of the Strike at Shayol Goul section of the World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time--the information (at least the bits that are correct) are all from that section. It makes sense, the Strike was difficult to get access to for many years, and so much like the prologue readings at DragonCon people would transcribe... incompletely.

For the most part the early bits are accurate, and the factual mistakes are subtle--"However, other Aes Sedai went over to the Shadow for the promise of immortality. The leaders among them came to be called the Forsaken, as they had forsaken the Light."... The later parts are a summary of a great deal of information. Generally though it'd do you better to simply read the World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, which contains the original, and is availiable for free download over the internet.

Certainly it'd save you from thinking RJ was talentless enought to write a sentence like: "Frequently, they who face Shadowspawn also are dead soon after.". Uhg.

As much as I hate to tell Luckers he is wrong (Who am I kidding, I love it) that was actually written by Robert Jordan. It's supposed to be an introduction to the world for people who have not read the series, which accounts for the simplification of events.

As much as I hate to tell Luckers he is wrong (Who am I kidding, I love it) that was actually written by Robert Jordan. It's supposed to be an introduction to the world for people who have not read the series, which accounts for the simplification of events.

Really? It looks like its written by a two year old and there are several factual inconsistancies. Are you sure RJ wrote this?

Edit: After a long and daunting online battle between Jenn and I, we've decided to contact Maria. One shall be shamed, one shall be exalted.

Let's all hope its me, aight?

From Maria:

Yes, this is one of two introductions that Jim wrote (I found them

both in his files, in two different formats). The second one is in the

book itself.

How much of the RPG was Jim? A lot, although mostly from the

editorial side. This was the biggest side projects I ever worked on.

Wizards would send materials--art or text--and Jim and I would go over

it and write screeds (seriously, one fax of dozens had 21 pages of

comments/insertions, and I'm not even sure that's the longest one)

about what needed to be changed. Some of it was minor stuff (caps and

ital), and some was more major. Sometimes the writers would take

liberties, and make up a bunch of stuff about a ruler or the history

of a country, for example, and Jim would say, "No, that's not even

close to right!" and he would write a chunk that would be substituted.

The guy who I was working with at Wizards was just great, and he

worked hard to get everything done our way.

I win again, Lews Therin.

Archived