DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oh Em Gee, Publish Memory of Light, already!

kanucha

Let me preface this by saying:

1. I have nothing but love for this series, and it's two authors.

2. I know the book isn't schedule for release until 2012.

But...I'm getting antsy, here! :biggrin:

I hope you fully appreciate how much time has passed since the first book was published in 1990.

(And I didn't even pick up the series until 1995, so I feel extra bad for some of you!)

Since this series has begun, I personally have:

Completed Middle-school.

Completed Highschool.

Completed an undergrad degree.

Service a tour of duty in the armed forces.

Been Engaged twice, and Married Once.

Been give 4 nieces and nephews.

On a global scale, this out paces the Duke Nukem Forever List* ( http://duke.a-13.net/?080907 ), and said list only covers events since 1997 to 2009.

*The Duke Nukem Forever List is an annotation of events that have occurred since Duke Nukem Forever video game was officially announced in 1997, and the studio publishing it closed in 2009 without releasing it. (On a sidenote: The game was picked up by a different studio, and is actually scheduled for release in May of this year, lol.)

(Shamelessly stolen data from said list below)

Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever the Wheel of Time Series

Pop Culture:

* The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.

* Led Zeppelin released 7 albums, 9 singles, and toured around the world, crossing international borders 27 times (not counting mainland Europe.)

* Calvin and Hobbes started in syndication, over the years became widely considered as the best comic strip ever made, then was ended by its creator.

Science & Technology:

* The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.

* The theory of General Relativity.

* The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.

* The complete construction of many monumental buildings and engineering projects. To name a few-

o The Empire State Building (Jan 1930 - May 1931)

o The Channel Tunnel (Dec 1987 - May 1994)

o The Golden Gate Bridge (Jan 1933 - May 1937)

o The World Trade Center (Aug 1966 - April 1973)

o The digging of the Suez Canal (by hand) took 11 years, from December 1858 to November 1869.

o The building of the Titanic took 3 years, from March 1909 to March 1912.

o The Hoover Dam was built in 5 years (1931-1936), although it took 9 years on top of that (starting in 1922) for the paperwork.

o The tallest structure on Earth, the Burj Dubai, was built in 5 years (2004-2009, technically they're still doing the finishing work).

Wars:

* The American War for Independence

* The United States Civil War

* World War I

* The United State's involvement in the Vietnam War.

* World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. ( Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.)

* Alexander The Great's conquest of Persia took 6 years, from 334BC to 328BC

* Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul took 7 years, from 58 BC to 51BC

Someone could have been born (Or even conceived) on the day The Eye of the World was published, and will be able to purchase Memory of Light the day of release, sit down in any bar in America, and legally drink if they felt so inclined.

I need me some closure!

Am I the only one that doesn't want this series to end?

There are no beginnings or endings in the Wheel of Time. After you finish reading Book 15, start at Book 1, again. : )

I want this series to end. The universe can (and should) live on in other authors, medias, and tales. : )

Let me preface this by saying:

1. I have nothing but love for this series, and it's two authors.

2. I know the book isn't schedule for release until 2012.

But...I'm getting antsy, here! :biggrin:

I hope you fully appreciate how much time has passed since the first book was published in 1990.

(And I didn't even pick up the series until 1995, so I feel extra bad for some of you!)

Since this series has begun, I personally have:

Completed Middle-school.

Completed Highschool.

Completed an undergrad degree.

Service a tour of duty in the armed forces.

Been Engaged twice, and Married Once.

Been give 4 nieces and nephews.

I need me some closure!

Me too on half your list. I think I was a fresman when I started reading WOT though, but I think TEotW was actually published while I was still in 8th grade, so kind of middle school. High-school then 5 year military tour, then undergrad degree for me too. No marriage, but close on an engagement. Two nephews and only one neice. I think my older sister was pregnant with my first newphew when I started WOT though. I started in '90, by the '95 I was already doing that military tour.

I know in the beginning I was kind of hoping Ewin Finigar would be a bigger character because he was closer to my age. Rand Mat and Perrin all had a few years on me. Now they are kids too me.

Am I the only one that doesn't want this series to end?

I'm conflicted about this as well. WOT has now been with me for the greater part of my life. It will be bittersweet for it to draw to a close.

I can't wait for it either, reading the final book in this series is going to be an incredible event/memory for me(no pun intended), I myself haven't been following this series as long as you, but even for me it's been NINE years since I picked up WoT- started it early high school. The sense of closure I'll feel upon savoring that final volume will be unparalleled by any form of media I've followed, whether it be movies, music, other books, videogames, you name it.

Just thinking of it makes me feel blissful :smile:

I imagine Sanderson shall start working on the 14th some time soon. Or might be somewhere within the first words.

A rushed finishing of the book might increase chances of typos and/or other writing "mistakes".

For me, I can wait. I imagine I would wait for the paperback edition like I am with the 13th.

Despite my previous post, I too have to say I'm immensely looking forward to reading the end just to experience how amazing it surely will be. But being only a novice WOT fan - I picked up the series in 2007 - I just feel there's so much yet for me to absorb, so much more still to discover. Even coming on this site every day I find out something new and amazing about the WOT. I still love everything about these books as much as I did when I first read the first page and I just want that feeling to go on for as long as possible.

Huh? Did I miss something here? Was it moved back? :sad:

I thought I has read that the three parts were being released fall of 2009, 2010 & 2011..

Yep. Sanderson has said that he needs to spend time he originally planned to use writing the last book to reread and take notes on the series starting from TEotW, having not actually read the books since 2008 or so. Instead of Nov 2011 he estimates Mar 2012. I wholeheartedly support this decision, since he wants to do it as right as he can.

Once the last book has been published, you will never again feel the excitement of waiting for the next one.
Actually there were plans to do other Wheel of Time books other than the main series; doing those I take is Harriet's decision.

Once the last book has been published, you will never again feel the excitement of waiting for the next one.

I'll just have to make do with the wait for the next George R.R. Martin book, the next R. Scott Bakker, the next Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Daniel Abraham...long story short, I'm waiting for so many books by so many authors, one less won't bother me that much.

As for those who don't want the series to end, while I do immensely enjoy this series I can't agree with your viewpoint. Good stories have endings. I started buying the series when KoD was new out, and that was the penultimate book in the series (well, supposed to be), so not having to wait too long for the ending was something I saw as a positive. I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes, but I want that ending.

For those of you who really can't wait, I'm working on a plan to get my hands on a copy before it's released - first things first, we'll need some hookers.

This might be more accurate:: Most good stories have endings.

The Circle series by Ted Dekker might be one exception; it ends & begins with the same book. Though I counted that book more as the series's ending than its beginning.

Archived