DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon's Easter Egg Comments

jemron

For those who have been following @BrandonSandrson on Twitter as he does the WoT re-read, you may have noticed that he mentioned something very interesting about the prologue of tEotW. He said:

WoT Easter Egg: there's an easily overlooked line in the EotW prologue which gives huge foreshadowing of things Rand can do in TofM. #wotrr

Then later there was some speculation on Twitter by Theoryland members and others, and he eventually confirmed that the easter egg had to do with Lews Therin sensing that nobody was around for miles:

The Easter egg in the prologue has to do with Lews Therin sensing the lack of people around him for miles and miles. #wotrr

So... my theory: This relates to Rand's "newfound" abilities to "lock on" to Darkfriends and/or Trollocs, "see" into people's souls, and, as someone mentioned on Twitter, it also probably explains why Rand and also the Forsaken are able to Travel so closely to people (like into there homes or tents) without cutting them in two, while other more "primitive" channelers can't do that.

I have a long thread that I created awhile back that you can find here about my theories on Rand's new powers, but I don't think there is anything new or special about them now, except that he now just knows everything that Lews Therin knew right before he died. Lews Therin was not only a highly experienced channeler with hundreds of years experience, but he was the MOST powerful channeler of his Age afaik, and he was (and still is as Rand) the most powerful ta'veren ever.

So, I have several questions about this easter egg. Did other channelers of the AoL have this same ability that Lews Therin (and now Rand) had to sense "threads of the Pattern" or people? Or is this just limited to ta'veren? Is this ability related to Rand being able to "single out" DFs and Trollocs and such?

What am I overlooking? Discuss!!

also the Forsaken are able to Travel so closely to people (like into there homes or tents) without cutting them in two, while other more "primitive" channelers can't do that.

Well, we've had a Forsaken killing one of Graendal's pets with a gateway, and she's always worrying that it will happen again. However, this may simply be down to the fact the Forsaken don't care or deliberately want to annoy Graendal.

@Jemron - That's pretty much the same thing I've been thinking since TOM. Rand is bluffing. That doesn't mean his ta'verenness isn't in turbo-mode, but a lot of what he does in TOM stinks of Jesus parallels, which is of course why everyone is calling him Jesus Rand. Part of that is true miracles - I mean, just using the Power makes for true miracles, and he's got uber-ta'verenness on top of that. So of course it's not all swagger. But part of it is sort of along the lines of the Jefferson Bible IMO.

The biggest clue IMO was the letter from Verin (via Tiana), followed by the scene with Weiramon and Anaiyella. I'm not saying there wasn't a real effect of his Lightgaze. I just don't think he can tell Darkfriends by sight. There was a tip in the letter, perhaps with names, perhaps not, and Rand decided to put all the High Lords and Ladies on the spot. He wasn't sure until Weiramon couldn't meet his gaze.

The message that he gave Weiramon was at least part bluff. It's the sort of politically skilled move that Lanfear expected from Lews Therin rather than Rand (like the Asmodean capture - odd that Rand planned that over the course of a book where we get one hint of Lews Therin's memories in the beginning - the first verified memories - and nothing for the rest of the book).

As to what his ability to sense people has to do with it...that could be a large part of his confidence in Tar Valon and in the Borderlands. Case in point:

TITLE - Towers of Midnight

EPILOGUE - And After

On the morrow, they'd hear his demands. Not what he would demand to keep him from breaking the seals-he was going to do that, regardless of what Egwene said. No, these would be the demands he made on the monarchs of the world in exchange for going to Shayol Ghul to face the Dark One.

He wasn't certain what he'd do if they refused him. They'd find it very difficult to do so. Sometimes, it could be useful to have a reputation for being irrational.

Also, no one has really been talking about this:

Jeff Edde

Interesting. In EotW, Rand uses Light & Power. Is it significant that he uses Light & Power again in ToM?

Brandon

Yes.

Perhaps because it's vague. But the point is that up until the point that Rand realizes that he was channeling (the very end of the book, when he's talking to Moiraine), he thinks to himself that it's the Light guiding him, especially at the Eye of the World.

So, maybe Torkumen could channel. He could therefore sense Rand channeling. His wife didn't jump - he tossed her out the window. :)

I think it is related to his being connected to the land, which is different than his being ta'veren, although it in some ways acts like an uber-version of ta'veren (with the importance difference than the larger ta'veren effects tend to be random, while his affect on the land is more directly related to the state of mind he is in). This is something unique to the Dragon and not given any sort of real explanation as of yet, i.e., it cannot be explained by either what we know about the One Power or by what we know about the nature of ta'veren.

@Terez, All good points. It would be cool if we find out that Rand's "zen-like" nature in ToM is nothing more than awesome red-herring, and that he isn't any more special than Lews Therin was, he's just more cunning and now has more skill with the OP.

I do think however, as you pointed out, that there is something more to him than just that. That comment about Rand using "Light" is new to me, and it really fits with what I'm thinking about him somehow "channeling" his taveren-ness/Light.

So, do you think there is a counter-power to the TP that hasn't yet been totally introduced and only hinted at? Or do you think it is just the OP magnified with Rand's newfound experience/skills (thanks to Lews Therin)?

I'm excited to start my final read-through before the final book comes out for just this reason--I haven't read the early books since probably around when the 6th or 7th book came out. It will be cool to get another look at the first part of the story with what I now know about how it begins to end.

There is a point in the book that may tie back to this as well. (Bear with me I am drawing from memory.) But Min is looking at Rand and all wondering how much him is Ol' L and they start talking and Rad says somthing that has stuck with me. 'This time I was raised better.' I think he is implying here that Ol'L was a bit less concerning with people where Rand is the ultimate Marter. Now with his connection to the land, and all this new story lines about keeping people from traveling. Who's to Say Rand didn't gather everyone in one spot to protect them? He knows where they are and can keep them from following him (If a Dream spike can do it I am sure Rand knows how.) In a way I think this is kinda forshadowed with mat and his story of the Cow slaughter. Everyone trust rand in a fashion and he knows this and will exploit it to protect them from a battle they can't fight.

I really feel like a good portion of the last book will be everyone trying to catch up to rand.

Just the only way I can really see it as any effective strategy.

There is a point in the book that may tie back to this as well. (Bear with me I am drawing from memory.) But Min is looking at Rand and all wondering how much him is Ol' L and they start talking and Rad says somthing that has stuck with me. 'This time I was raised better.' I think he is implying here that Ol'L was a bit less concerning with people where Rand is the ultimate Marter. Now with his connection to the land, and all this new story lines about keeping people from traveling. Who's to Say Rand didn't gather everyone in one spot to protect them? He knows where they are and can keep them from following him (If a Dream spike can do it I am sure Rand knows how.) In a way I think this is kinda forshadowed with mat and his story of the Cow slaughter. Everyone trust rand in a fashion and he knows this and will exploit it to protect them from a battle they can't fight.

I really feel like a good portion of the last book will be everyone trying to catch up to rand.

Just the only way I can really see it as any effective strategy.

Interesting thought. So, the "Last Battle" is really just Rand and Moridin, Fain and DO, and nobody else that isn't already in the Borderlands. He's taking them there to protect them from what's about to come... It's just crazy enough, it might just work!

I think that would be Rands plan, but then we all know how well people in Randland listen to anybody but themselves.

Rand pulls the old "you can come but you have to do what I say" act on the two AS that he needs. Then everyone else goes about doing what they always do in this book and ignore everyone else and do what ever the H they feel like and try to follow rand.

(Summed up in about 900pages.) :bandredhand:

The biggest clue IMO was the letter from Verin (via Tiana), followed by the scene with Weiramon and Anaiyella. I'm not saying there wasn't a real effect of his Lightgaze. I just don't think he can tell Darkfriends by sight. There was a tip in the letter, perhaps with names, perhaps not, and Rand decided to put all the High Lords and Ladies on the spot. He wasn't sure until Weiramon couldn't meet his gaze.

The message that he gave Weiramon was at least part bluff. It's the sort of politically skilled move that Lanfear expected from Lews Therin rather than Rand (like the Asmodean capture - odd that Rand planned that over the course of a book where we get one hint of Lews Therin's memories in the beginning - the first verified memories - and nothing for the rest of the book).

Weiramon did meet his gaze "with an odd difficulty. He looked as if he was gritting his teeth, his eyes watering." Rand immediately feels disappointment, even as they deny it, then sends them off.

If Rand is really bluffing (read: lying) when he tells them DFs can't hide among his allies any more, that gives a rather fine irony to his statement half a page later that "It is war, not subterfuge, that turns the day now." And of course, even Min asks "What did you see in them?" and Rand is comfortable enough in his abilities to tell her, "They are no longer a threat. I--" before he's cut off at the worst possible moment by Tam coming out.

The truth has gone contrary to the textual evidence before, and it will again, but this scene and his recognition of Siuan establish the greater weight on the side of Rand being able to see souls.

The more Brandon talks, the more I want Jordan back.

Can you elaborate a little? You don't like him spoiling things? You don't like what he says? You don't like how he says it? Or you just wish RJ would give us the answers rather than BWS? I'm confused by your statement.

I'm more and more convinced as we discuss here and in the "Rand's Newfound Abilities" thread that Rand and all other AoL powerful channelers had the ability to sense threads (or people) in the Patterns. Whether or not they were channelers. Rand uses that power now at maximum capacity because of his integration with Lews Therin.

Can you elaborate a little? You don't like him spoiling things? You don't like what he says? You don't like how he says it? Or you just wish RJ would give us the answers rather than BWS? I'm confused by your statement.

I'm more and more convinced as we discuss here and in the "Rand's Newfound Abilities" thread that Rand and all other AoL powerful channelers had the ability to sense threads (or people) in the Patterns. Whether or not they were channelers. Rand uses that power now at maximum capacity because of his integration with Lews Therin.

I find this to be an intriguing theory regarding Rand and the ability to sense other threads in the Pattern. What makes you think that all the other AoL channelers had it as well? Rand would seem to be the only one to display hints of this ability. I would think it more likely that this is some kind of relatively rare Talent like being able to see ta'veren.

I find this to be an intriguing theory regarding Rand and the ability to sense other threads in the Pattern. What makes you think that all the other AoL channelers had it as well? Rand would seem to be the only one to display hints of this ability. I would think it more likely that this is some kind of relatively rare Talent like being able to see ta'veren.

Well the Forsaken always Travel really close to people. That lead to theory that they know where people are standing.

I guess it could be because they don't give a shit if they happen to slit someone in half, or it could be because they got some mad skills in Travelling... Or because they got the said power of being able to 'sense' where someone is. I'd say it's the first of the three...

>_> I dunno. I highly doubt that Rand's ability is common. It would seem a bit crazy to 'read' pattern to know where people are, unless Rand is the only one who can do it due to him being massive ta'veren. It could be Talent, too, I suppose.

Well the Forsaken always Travel really close to people. That lead to theory that they know where people are standing.

I guess it could be because they don't give a shit if they happen to slit someone in half, or it could be because they got some mad skills in Travelling... Or because they got the said power of being able to 'sense' where someone is. I'd say it's the first of the three...

>_> I dunno. I highly doubt that Rand's ability is common. It would seem a bit crazy to 'read' pattern to know where people are, unless Rand is the only one who can do it due to him being massive ta'veren. It could be Talent, too, I suppose.

I think it's the 2nd. They have mad Traveling skills. Not because it's hard, necessarily, but because it's been lost in this Age. I just think that it's very possible that, just as one of the Forsaken mentions their training in the AoL in the World of Dreams, they were also trained in the ways of "True Traveling." The only way I could see this working properly (Traveling into a room, causing the "gong" sound that lets someone know your coming, etc...) is if they either (a) know how to avoid people with a special weave or (b) can somehow sense where a person is on the other side and chose to either avoid them or slash them in two (as Sammael did to one of Graendal's servants in LoC).

However, it very well could be that Rand has better powers than Forsaken and he sense people because he's ta'veren. It makes sense. He is a very important thread in the Pattern that pulls and pushes other threads to his will, in a matter of speaking. It would make sense then that he could sense those threads or people somehow.

Or we are all looking at this the wrong way.

He looked at Weirmon, and the guy totally just s***ed his pants, and Rand could smell it. Likewise when Lews Therin traveled to where he created Dragonmount, he took a really deep sniff, and smelled no s***, so he couldn't sense anyone nearby. What this really is saying is that Rand/Lews just has a really sensitive nose for human feces.

Back to the "Sensing People" thing. At the end of TGH when they are in Falme he mentions the people close to Rand as threads. "There was an odd feeling in his head, as if pieces of his life were in danger. Egwene was one piece, one thread of the cord that made his life. but there where others, and he could feel them threatened." So, he could sense threads in the pattern!

Back to the "Sensing People" thing. At the end of TGH when they are in Falme he mentions the people close to Rand as threads. "There was an odd feeling in his head, as if pieces of his life were in danger. Egwene was one piece, one thread of the cord that made his life. but there where others, and he could feel them threatened." So, he could sense threads in the pattern!

Awesome find! Can't believe this hasn't been more discussed! I really do wonder if this is awesome OP skills related, or just ta'veren related...

With regard to Rand's apparent ability to sense darkfriends.... You'll recall that certain powerful servants of the Shadow, such as Fain specifically, and most certainly the Forsaken, can look at someone and tell if they've sworn to the Shadow. Fain says in his POV once that he can even tell if someone had THOUGHT about swearing to the Shadow. He could see something like a sooty mark on these people's forhead and tell that they served the Shadow. I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that the champion of the Light could in some way sense darkfriends in the same way, maybe by simply looking people in the eyes.

Another thing, speaking of Travelling, in the EoTW prologue, when Lews Therin Travels, it simply says he travels and then appears somewhere else. No mention of a Gateway. Then we see Elan Morin basically "fade into view" in some way, again with no mention of a Gateway. Is it possible there's another form of Travelling that is simply like self teleportation? Or was this simply the way RJ wrote the scene?

With regard to Rand's apparent ability to sense darkfriends.... You'll recall that certain powerful servants of the Shadow, such as Fain specifically, and most certainly the Forsaken, can look at someone and tell if they've sworn to the Shadow. Fain says in his POV once that he can even tell if someone had THOUGHT about swearing to the Shadow. He could see something like a sooty mark on these people's forhead and tell that they served the Shadow. I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that the champion of the Light could in some way sense darkfriends in the same way, maybe by simply looking people in the eyes.

Another thing, speaking of Travelling, in the EoTW prologue, when Lews Therin Travels, it simply says he travels and then appears somewhere else. No mention of a Gateway. Then we see Elan Morin basically "fade into view" in some way, again with no mention of a Gateway. Is it possible there's another form of Travelling that is simply like self teleportation? Or was this simply the way RJ wrote the scene?

RJ has said that Elan used True Power to travel.

Anyhow, LTT not having a gateway could simply be because it's first book of the series and everything wasn't really set in stone yet. He probably hadn't thought about specifics for travelling yet, or decided to change them during the series.

I would think they'd have to be able to see threads. I mean they created Nym, and we were told by Jordan that Nym have "borrowed" souls in them. That means in the AOL the Channelers knew how to get access to souls and also manipulate them, else they'd never be able to put a soul into the Nym.

Awesome thread, would be neat if the theory proved true. What about Graendal's quote to Ishamael/Moridin about finding ta'veren, something about the Pattern being in spikes and flux and that it was never easy.. ( can't remember off the top of my head!) would this be evidence in support of the idea that LTT and the Forsaken can sense threads in the pattern/souls to a degree?

Archived