DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand pick Moraine to use Callandor?

Lupy

I think Rand will definetly pick Moiraine for the Callandor circle along with Nyn. My reason comes form tEotW. Min was able to see the sparks fighting the dark when just those two were together. I feel that indicates they both have a role to play together at the LB. Rand definetly trust both of them enough and both are accomplished with weaving Saidar.

It is just threads that help Rand or each other. Some help more than others. The whole group creates more Spark. But Nyn and Mo would probably be the best combo with Rand

"The sparks, Rand. She met Mistress Alys coming in, and there were sparks, with just the two of them"

But the sparks are not exclusive to Rand, they relate to the war against the Shadow and how these people all are tied together in it. I beleive since both Moiraine and Nyn together can create the sparks, even without Rand or one of the other Ta'veren present indicates that these two will do something important together. Also if you couple this with Min's "failed" viewing of Moiraine haveing something important to do at the LB. I think it shows that Moiraine will be integral to helping Rand seal the bore. This little theory is not air tight but I doubt after Moiraine's return, she will end up playing second fiddle to Cadsuane or Aliva at the LB.

Agree. That is what I meant by "each other". These two together would do something important against shadow.

Frankly I don't know why everyone is assuming that Callandor must be used the way the characters think it has to be used. The fact that everyone in the book is assuming 2 women are needed is almost proof that this is wrong since the characters in the books are almost never right about anything important.

Personally I think the three as one refers to the 3 taveren and that Callandor someone uses or enhances their taveren power to affect the pattern

What? The characters are assuming that because we have the following evidence:

1) Rand tends to get crazy when he's using Callandor alone. See his fight in the Stone of Tear in TSR and his fight against the Seanchan in TPoD.

2) Cadsuane has researched that Callandor is flawed.

We have had no inkling that Mat or Perren can interact with Callandor in any way. Callandor is a sa'angreal, neither of them are channelers. Ergo, useless.

No, the entire buildup has been Rand in a circle with 2 women. Moiraine has to be the other woman. She makes the most sense. She is the only other Aes Sedai that Rand fully trusts aside from Nynaeve and Elayne - and Elayne is pregnant.

Also, we - and the characters - actually have no idea how Callandor is to be used. We only know that it's going to be used. But the only way to use it is Rand in a circle with 2 women.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rand will definetly pick Moiraine for the Callandor circle along with Nyn. My reason comes form tEotW. Min was able to see the sparks fighting the dark when just those two were together. I feel that indicates they both have a role to play together at the LB. Rand definetly trust both of them enough and both are accomplished with weaving Saidar.

It is just threads that help Rand or each other. Some help more than others. The whole group creates more Spark. But Nyn and Mo would probably be the best combo with Rand

"The sparks, Rand. She met Mistress Alys coming in, and there were sparks, with just the two of them"

The sparks are really inconclusive when you look at the entire statement she makes, as opposed to cherry picking the parts that help the point of view that is trying to be put forward.

The full passage from tEotW is:

"She met Mistress Alys coming in and there were sparks with just the two of them. Yesterday, I couldn't see sparks unless there were three or four of you together. But today, it's all sharper, more furious." ... they both look away, with no dialogue, then she says ... "You are all in more danger today than yesterday, since she came."

This would make it sound that Nyn's arrival increased the groups overall danger, not necessarily that there was something specific about Nyn + Mor. There was no specific combination of the party needed to produce the sparks, just that on day one it needed 3 or 4 of them together (for example: Eggy, Mor, Lan and Thom would have had the sparks around them on day one), but since Nyn showed up, she can see the sparks around just two of them together. This does not necessarily mean that the is something special about Nyn and Mor together.

But I definitely believe that the Callando trio will be Nyn+Mor+Rand, just not based on Min's Viewing.

Frankly I don't know why everyone is assuming that Callandor must be used the way the characters think it has to be used. The fact that everyone in the book is assuming 2 women are needed is almost proof that this is wrong since the characters in the books are almost never right about anything important.

Personally I think the three as one refers to the 3 taveren and that Callandor someone uses or enhances their taveren power to affect the pattern

There are two reasons behind the said use of Callandor.

1. The prophecy that Light needs to be hold before the maw of darkness.

2. After Eye, the only place we saw something akin to Light is when Rand faught Ishy using Callandor. This time he killed him with Light. Callandor works like a lense that concentrates Saidin to form Light. So, use of Callandor to produce Light is a must.

About requiring two women, we know Callandor does not have buffer. Two women would probably give enough Saidar to create a Buffer. I doubt that is what needed though. What we need most is a protection from taint or any similar strike back from DO. We know that saidar was used as filter to create Eye and to cleanse Saidin. So, IMO that is how Saidar would be used, not as Buffer but as Filter.

Here I float another theory. Any takers?

Well, what is the POINT of the this circle in the first place? What is it supposed to do? I don't think we can say that using a certain person will disadvantage the circle due to lack of strength unless we KNOW what the purpose of the circle IS.

The point of the circle is that Callandor has no buffers to prevent Rand from drawing too much power. By linking with two women he gains a buffer to keep him from burning himself out.

As for "strength doesn't matter," I feel that it must. Rand is going to perform the 9th impossible thing, and quite likely an act of power even greater than the cleansing. He will need all the power he can get to restore the DO's prison to its original state.

If strength does not matter, then he should take Moraine and someone else weak, so that Nynaeve can be part of the fighting.

I still think Alivia is more likely than Moiraine.

I almost think its going to be Cyndane/Lanfear as one of them, especially with the stuff about her in ToM.

She was also the one who made the bore, so she may have a decent idea on how to undo it.

But the sparks are not exclusive to Rand, they relate to the war against the Shadow and how these people all are tied together in it. I beleive since both Moiraine and Nyn together can create the sparks, even without Rand or one of the other Ta'veren present indicates that these two will do something important together. Also if you couple this with Min's "failed" viewing of Moiraine haveing something important to do at the LB. I think it shows that Moiraine will be integral to helping Rand seal the bore. This little theory is not air tight but I doubt after Moiraine's return, she will end up playing second fiddle to Cadsuane or Aliva at the LB.

Agree. That is what I meant by "each other". These two together would do something important against shadow.

What? The characters are assuming that because we have the following evidence:

1) Rand tends to get crazy when he's using Callandor alone. See his fight in the Stone of Tear in TSR and his fight against the Seanchan in TPoD.

2) Cadsuane has researched that Callandor is flawed.

We have had no inkling that Mat or Perren can interact with Callandor in any way. Callandor is a sa'angreal, neither of them are channelers. Ergo, useless.

No, the entire buildup has been Rand in a circle with 2 women. Moiraine has to be the other woman. She makes the most sense. She is the only other Aes Sedai that Rand fully trusts aside from Nynaeve and Elayne - and Elayne is pregnant.

Also, we - and the characters - actually have no idea how Callandor is to be used. We only know that it's going to be used. But the only way to use it is Rand in a circle with 2 women.

That circle idea is Cadsuane's theory, nothing more. The evidence does support it so far, but Min even mentioned that there was still something not understood about Callandor's use. So it may just be Cadsuane's misinterpretion. Also Rand used Callandor when he was still Lews Therin for many years and we know how little support he had in the last stages of the war by the women I doubt Callandor really does require two women and one of them in charge. Afterall he must have known about the lack of the buffer. Though I suppose it may be that he stopped using it because he had no women to trust.

1) Though there is an effect on Rand I don't think it can't be handled. Rand was hardly a proficient channeler in TSR, half the time he couldn't touch saidin as far as I recall, in TPoD he had already become somewhat unstable. And most importantly saidin no longer carries the taint, which no doubt had a very large impact on what happened to Rand when he used Callandor. 400 years more proficiency, his recent epiphany and a cleansed saidin should allow him to reduce the side effects of Callandor's use by a lot.

2) The lack of the buffer may be necessary. I don't think Callandor is flawed, instead it's unsafe by design. Afterall it's the tool the dragon is supposed to use to defeat the DO and unlike what Egwene and her alliance think there is no safe way of dealing with the DO.

I think Rand trusts Aviendha as well. If he can convince her to go along with his plan, she would never let him down once she agreed. Besides Aviendha has a talent which may be far more suitable for imprioning the DO than Moiraine.

As for the Three as One referring to the three ta'veren I wouldn't reject that possibility offhand. They are already linked in someway and that link could very well get strengthened. Even if they can't channel, they would hardly be useless. In fact they would be of more use than two hundred channellers in my opinion. The effect the ta'veren have on the pattern is the only thing which can directly counteract the will of the DO. The only. Any standing flow can be perverted by the DO. We've seen that with the seals the wards on the WT and the Ways. They get slowly corroded by the will of the DO. No matter how good the seals are, even if saidar is involved this time the same would probably happen over time. Though I suppose it would take 6,000 years for the DO to break free.

Herid Fel told us, Rand's true goal is not to seal the DO again, but to make it so as if there never even was a bore and that sounds far more like something a ta'veren could do than a channeller. Unless of course the Bore is like an opening gateway and it has to be unravelled instead of closed. Which in all likelihood would require Aviendha and not Moiraine.

The biggest support is that Moiraine said in EotW/TGH that there being three and not one ta'veren might be what will defeat the DO. Going along that line of thinking it really is no stretch that the three unified ta'veren carry the most important load at TG. And there is no more important role than to be there when the DO is defeated.

Ta'veren is pretty much the most rare talent there is. And usually the more rare something is the more important role it'll have. In that regard Ta'veren beats Channeler by about factor 2,000.

Also Rand used Callandor when he was still Lews Therin for many years and we know how little support he had in the last stages of the war by the women I doubt Callandor really does require two women and one of them in charge. Afterall he must have known about the lack of the buffer. Though I suppose it may be that he stopped using it because he had no women to trust.

1) Though there is an effect on Rand I don't think it can't be handled. Rand was hardly a proficient channeler in TSR, half the time he couldn't touch saidin as far as I recall, in TPoD he had already become somewhat unstable. And most importantly saidin no longer carries the taint, which no doubt had a very large impact on what happened to Rand when he used Callandor. 400 years more proficiency, his recent epiphany and a cleansed saidin should allow him to reduce the side effects of Callandor's use by a lot.

2) The lack of the buffer may be necessary. I don't think Callandor is flawed, instead it's unsafe by design.

What? There's no evidence for that. As for the flaw, Jordan said that it was really there, and not intentional:
JWB: Was Callandor constructed during the War of Power?

RJ: Yes.

JWB: Was it used in the War of Power?

RJ: Yes, that is how the flaw was discovered.

JWB: Why didn't they ward/buffer Callandor?

RJ: The flaw with Callandor is simply a manufacturing flaw. (He went on to talk about how they were at the end of their tech age with only a few sho-wings and jo-cars left. A couple of shocklances were still around but they were not as prevalent as they had been. Anyway they had been mass producing ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal, and there are bound to be flaws with the products. The flaw with Callandor is simply one such flaw.)

Also Rand used Callandor when he was still Lews Therin for many years and we know how little support he had in the last stages of the war by the women I doubt Callandor really does require two women and one of them in charge. Afterall he must have known about the lack of the buffer. Though I suppose it may be that he stopped using it because he had no women to trust.

2) The lack of the buffer may be necessary. I don't think Callandor is flawed, instead it's unsafe by design.

What? There's no evidence for that. As for the flaw, Jordan said that it was really there, and not intentional:
JWB: Was Callandor constructed during the War of Power?

RJ: Yes.

JWB: Was it used in the War of Power?

RJ: Yes, that is how the flaw was discovered.

JWB: Why didn't they ward/buffer Callandor?

RJ: The flaw with Callandor is simply a manufacturing flaw. (He went on to talk about how they were at the end of their tech age with only a few sho-wings and jo-cars left. A couple of shocklances were still around but they were not as prevalent as they had been. Anyway they had been mass producing ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal, and there are bound to be flaws with the products. The flaw with Callandor is simply one such flaw.)

I didn't know about that interview. Neatly undercuts my train of thought. How irritating, I liked that theory.

Well, Why does he have to use a circle of two? The fact that two women are needed to cover the flaw in callandor doesnt mean that only two should be included. He needs all the power he can get so why not link with all the women. I don't remember if there is a limit to how big a circle can be. In that case he can just keep adding asha'man when the circle can not grow larger.

Well, Why does he have to use a circle of two? The fact that two women are needed to cover the flaw in callandor doesnt mean that only two should be included. He needs all the power he can get so why not link with all the women. I don't remember if there is a limit to how big a circle can be. In that case he can just keep adding asha'man when the circle can not grow larger.

my thoughts on the 2 woman 1 man for calandor is specifically to do with that the woman leads the circle in that configuration, if you read the guide it shows who must lead for some configurations, in a 1 man 1 woman the man must lead. There can also be 2 men and 1 or 2 woman in which the man must also lead. They would also provide the buffer if the man leading is not the wielder, but why it was neither of those two configurations is due to the taint they wouldn't have wanted a man in control when they wrote about the circle for calandor.

As for circle size the largest possible is 72 with 6 men and rest woman up to 35 men and 37 woman, this is also from the guide.

As for using minimum men, after 26 woman and 1 man it requires 1 man for every additional 8 woman.

Went off track there, anyway i tried to explain why the 2w and 1m config was used, its the smallest where a woman leads.

"I don't have much of the power now, dearest Thom. Withour this angreal, I wouldn't be strong enough to be raised Accepted in the White Tower. I will throw it away, if you wish it of me." She lifted out her other hand, barely staying modest. She pulled off the angreal.

"I don't think so, Moiraine," Thom Said, kneeling down, taking her hands. "No, I won't rob you of anything."

"But with it I'll be very strong, Stronger in the Power than before I was taken."

Moiraine was on par with Siuan before her stilling/healing. Though she was not the strongest around, she was no slouch before. With the angreal, I think she is now as powerful as Cadsuane. Moiraine is no slouch and would be a good compliment to Rand using Challendor.

We do not know yet what else Moirnaine asked for. She got the angreal but I think she also got knowledge of fourth age histories.

"This changes everything," she said, smile deepening. "He has fixed what he once set wrong. 'By the Dragon came our pain, and by the Dragon was the wound repaired

Moiraine spoke in past tense. She had access to a place where time is odd, is it possible she would ask for the history of the last battle? With this knowledge she would have the information Rand requires to seal the bore, thus being the key to saving the world.

Like what i said elsewhere on the forum, it isn't unlikely that Lanfear is going to help Rand at the Last Battle. Like someone else said, she helped to seal the bore. Why can't she help close it, or even help to destroy the DO.

I believe that Lanfear, Nyneave, Moiraine are the three where i'm sure of, maybe Avi joins also.

@WMtom

That can refer to the cleansing of Saidin, but also to the bore.

That can refer to the cleansing of Saidin, but also to the bore.

It was my itent to highlight Moiraine quoting something she would have no knowledge of in past tense. As though she had knowledge of the event from reading texts. The event she is refering to, is the clensing of the Power judging from the context of the conversation. Unless BS made a typo when writing this, it sounds like she has foreknowledge of events to come.

It sounds like she remembers the Prophecies and was noting that one had been fulfilled, given what Mat had just told her. A quotation's tense can be adapted to fit current events without implying time travel. Surely she got something from the Eelfinn, but that's a huge stretch.

I am going to stick to my guns on this one. Moiraine is not very forth coming with what she got from the Aef and Elf. They way she was speaking and the fact it was written in quotes leads me to believe she was quoting not altering the text. Prior to Rand cleansing the source, he was the only one talking about it. I think Moiraine has knowledge of what is to come.

"I don't have much of the power now, dearest Thom. Withour this angreal, I wouldn't be strong enough to be raised Accepted in the White Tower. I will throw it away, if you wish it of me." She lifted out her other hand, barely staying modest. She pulled off the angreal.

"I don't think so, Moiraine," Thom Said, kneeling down, taking her hands. "No, I won't rob you of anything."

"But with it I'll be very strong, Stronger in the Power than before I was taken."

Moiraine was on par with Siuan before her stilling/healing. Though she was not the strongest around, she was no slouch before. With the angreal, I think she is now as powerful as Cadsuane. Moiraine is no slouch and would be a good compliment to Rand using Challendor.

We do not know yet what else Moirnaine asked for. She got the angreal but I think she also got knowledge of fourth age histories.

"This changes everything," she said, smile deepening. "He has fixed what he once set wrong. 'By the Dragon came our pain, and by the Dragon was the wound repaired

Moiraine spoke in past tense. She had access to a place where time is odd, is it possible she would ask for the history of the last battle? With this knowledge she would have the information Rand requires to seal the bore, thus being the key to saving the world.

Nah, she's considerably stronger than Cadsuane with the angreal, and negligible without it.

Think back to when Elayne was discovering angreal, she said with a weak angreal she would be considerably stronger than Nynaeve; and Moiraine's angreal is almost sa'angreal level, meaning she's probably as strong as a circle of 6 (although relative power seems confused across these books - I'll make a detailed post tomorrow).

It sounds like its a prophecy about the cleansing of the taint, the wound is the taint on saidin, LTT caused it and Rand removed it. BTW what changes everything, what was said right before, that the taint was cleansed? I don't have the book right here so cant check.

It sounds like its a prophecy about the cleansing of the taint, the wound is the taint on saidin, LTT caused it and Rand removed it. BTW what changes everything, what was said right before, that the taint was cleansed? I don't have the book right here so cant check.

My point was she was quoting in past tense. I think she already knew. Her quote reads as history not as prophecy.

No one mentioned that Moiraine was needed to "save the world".. doesn't that mean that she will be used with Callandor.. its not like she will save the world healing people in the battle.

She will be used in the circle. After everyone finishing shitting their pants when she arrives back in Camelyn.

My point was she was quoting in past tense. I think she already knew. Her quote reads as history not as prophecy.

Its probably a direct quote from a prophecy, she did not know about the cleansing before she was told, read her reaction.

And Verin says he managed to clean the taint from saidin"

"Blessed Light," Moiraine whispered. "How?"

" I don't know."

"This changes everything,"

Well more she did not know it was cleansed, in some of her visions at rhuidean she may have seen some where it was clean and some where it was not. The ones where it was, her work was much easier, but it was also less likely to have happened. So she had planned for the worst.

callandor's true use is unknown, there many things no one knows about it, the flaw is one that they DO know. some thoughts and theories on its true use (and possibly part of the flaw they dont know about yet) is that it takes your thoughts and acts them out. think opf rand in the stone, he THOUGHT it must end, he THOUGHT kill them all, every last one, he cant reproduce the weave ion any shape or form, after trying to at difference times, if it had been him channelling he would have remembered the weaves. instead callandor itself, which was warded in both T'A'R and the real world, used his thoughts and was guided that way. Rand, even as jedi rand, gets still gets distracted by other things, nynaeve, will be required for her channelling ability, moiraine/siuan are the only other ones who have completely dedicated their lives to fighting the DO and his minions, cadsuane is the next in line, but while she has done a lot her part was mostly in preparing the forces of light for the LB, training the DR getting rid of false dragons, etc... didnt she say she had brought in 20 men by herself to keep them from channeling and claiming to be the dragon? anyays, moiraine and siuan have been 100 percent engulfed in the fight with the shadow, guiding the dragon, with moiraine as his personal trainer if i recall correctly, and destroying the BA, Egwene and the others have cleaned house there now, but the DO is still there, and Rand doesnt trust siuan the way he does moiraine. when avi shows up and is surrounded by trollocs, the light cant afford to have rand, or nynaeve, turn and blast them all, but moiraine is not going to be distracted, she passed her test nearly perfectly, and is not distracted by her goal of defeating the DO. some say alivia, but if she does, rand will surely die, because she will use callandor to aid the DO. isnt she a known DF? and the one who will be responsible for his death? moiraine is the only one that makes sense.

callandor's true use is unknown, there many things no one knows about it, the flaw is one that they DO know. some thoughts and theories on its true use (and possibly part of the flaw they dont know about yet) is that it takes your thoughts and acts them out. think opf rand in the stone, he THOUGHT it must end, he THOUGHT kill them all, every last one, he cant reproduce the weave ion any shape or form, after trying to at difference times, if it had been him channelling he would have remembered the weaves. instead callandor itself, which was warded in both T'A'R and the real world, used his thoughts and was guided that way. Rand, even as jedi rand, gets still gets distracted by other things, nynaeve, will be required for her channelling ability, moiraine/siuan are the only other ones who have completely dedicated their lives to fighting the DO and his minions, cadsuane is the next in line, but while she has done a lot her part was mostly in preparing the forces of light for the LB, training the DR getting rid of false dragons, etc... didnt she say she had brought in 20 men by herself to keep them from channeling and claiming to be the dragon? anyays, moiraine and siuan have been 100 percent engulfed in the fight with the shadow, guiding the dragon, with moiraine as his personal trainer if i recall correctly, and destroying the BA, Egwene and the others have cleaned house there now, but the DO is still there, and Rand doesnt trust siuan the way he does moiraine. when avi shows up and is surrounded by trollocs, the light cant afford to have rand, or nynaeve, turn and blast them all, but moiraine is not going to be distracted, she passed her test nearly perfectly, and is not distracted by her goal of defeating the DO. some say alivia, but if she does, rand will surely die, because she will use callandor to aid the DO. isnt she a known DF? and the one who will be responsible for his death? moiraine is the only one that makes sense.

Alivia is not a darkfriend as far as we know. And the viewing was that she would help Rand die. Rand seems to take that as a positive/helpful thing.

Archived