DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand pick Moraine to use Callandor?

Lupy

Rand stated in ToM that he would have Nynaeve and either Elayne or Avi wield Callandor with him at TG. This seemed okay, if not ideal to me. Alivia would be better than Avi or Elayne because she is stronger than they are. However, now that Moraine is back, will he take her with him to TG? If so, I fear disaster. Moraine is nowhere near as strong as Nyn or Elayne, and her being part of the circle could drastically reduce the total power available to seal the bore.

Will Rand pick Moraine for the circle? Will this affect the strength of the circle? Did Ishy let her live in Foxworld because he knew Rand would have her rescued and take her to TG?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She has that bracelet angreal that makes her equal to what she was before. Couldn't she just use it, then link with Rand and Nynaeve to use Callandor?

Wouldn't it be better to give it to Nyn or Elayne or Alivia then?

There is probably no *angreals usable by the two girls linking with Rand that will rival Callandor. So, Moiraine's lack of strength is likely a non-issue.

But Nynaeve, who is far more powerful than Moraine, will still allow Rand more power than Moraine would.

She has that bracelet angreal that makes her equal to what she was before. Couldn't she just use it, then link with Rand and Nynaeve to use Callandor?

Wouldn't it be better to give it to Nyn or Elayne or Alivia then?

I doubt Elayne or Alivia is good choice at all. They do not have the proper character trait as Nyn, Moraine seems to be the closest. And OP strength hardly matters here. The main fight is about character strength.

Also, we have no idea how far along Elayne is in her pregnancy. I'm guessing second trimester, but she has stated that due to pregnancy, she can have trouble channelling, which is one thing you don't want to have happen during the Last Battle! No to mention, would he want his pregnant girlfriend in the middle of the fight? Doubt it!

Is raw power what is necessary for this circle? I feel as though maybe the difference between Avi and Moiraine in strength is negligible compared to the sheer amount Rand+Nynaeve will be using... it's more the skill/ determination/ will power that Moiraine has that is needed.

Is raw power what is necessary for this circle? I feel as though maybe the difference between Avi and Moiraine in strength is negligible compared to the sheer amount Rand+Nynaeve will be using... it's more the skill/ determination/ will power that Moiraine has that is needed.

Especially the will power to fight 7 sins. That is why Nyn and Mo seems to the best combo.

I thought I remember reading somewhere in one of the books, about one of the Aes Sedai saying something along the lines of no more than one angreal/sa'angreal able to be used in a circle. Might have been during either the cleansing or during using the bowl of the winds. I could always be mistaken, but if I'm not, being linked in a circle with Callandor would preclude Moiraine's angreal.

Surely the strength of women is largely irrelevant. They are needed to address the buffer flaw.

Lets say Callandor amplifies the Power a man can draw by 50 (conservative estimate). So you get 50 Rand's plus a Nynaeve and Alivia. That's still only a percent or two of total power more then Rand plus Sorilea and Moraine (without any angreals).

Surely the strength of women is largely irrelevant. They are needed to address the buffer flaw.

Lets say Callandor amplifies the Power a man can draw by 50 (conservative estimate). So you get 50 Rand's plus a Nynaeve and Alivia. That's still only a percent or two of total power more then Rand plus Sorilea and Moraine (without any angreals).

If it was just a ring then the ring amplification won't be just adding. It would be more like Rand*(Nyn+Mo). So, the strength matters. But, as you pointed out, women are needed to address the buffer flaw. So as long as they can weave the buffer it would be good enough.

I thought I remember reading somewhere in one of the books, about one of the Aes Sedai saying something along the lines of no more than one angreal/sa'angreal able to be used in a circle. Might have been during either the cleansing or during using the bowl of the winds. I could always be mistaken, but if I'm not, being linked in a circle with Callandor would preclude Moiraine's angreal.

They use at least 2 angreals that Elayne found in the Ebou Dar stash when they used the Bowl of the Winds. In terms of needing the strongest women available to use with Callandor - I would think that if strength was the determining factor that Rand would not have destroyed the CK. I imagine other things then One Power strength will be more important.

Strength of the woman involved will not be relevant. Whether it's Moiraine, Nynaeve, Alivia, Tuon, or Egwene he chooses to lead the circle with Callandor, it will be due to other factors: precision, knowledge of what needs to be done, commitment.

Multiple have been used in a circle, with the bowl of winds, and multiple have been used by a single person, like rand with the choedan kal and his little fat man in rhuidean, so I would say that someone with multiple can join a circle aswell, couse the person is drawing the power from them and they are taking it from an angreal, or 2 or whatever amount. They count as just a single source of the power in a circle, as was said for th bowl of winds. There may be limits to the amount a single person can use though, but they can certainly use more than 1.

Well, what is the POINT of the this circle in the first place? What is it supposed to do? I don't think we can say that using a certain person will disadvantage the circle due to lack of strength unless we KNOW what the purpose of the circle IS.

The point of the circle is that Callandor has no buffers to prevent Rand from drawing too much power. By linking with two women he gains a buffer to keep him from burning himself out.

As for "strength doesn't matter," I feel that it must. Rand is going to perform the 9th impossible thing, and quite likely an act of power even greater than the cleansing. He will need all the power he can get to restore the DO's prison to its original state.

If strength does not matter, then he should take Moraine and someone else weak, so that Nynaeve can be part of the fighting.

Well, what is the POINT of the this circle in the first place? What is it supposed to do? I don't think we can say that using a certain person will disadvantage the circle due to lack of strength unless we KNOW what the purpose of the circle IS.

The point of the circle is that Callandor has no buffers to prevent Rand from drawing too much power. By linking with two women he gains a buffer to keep him from burning himself out.

As for "strength doesn't matter," I feel that it must. Rand is going to perform the 9th impossible thing, and quite likely an act of power even greater than the cleansing. He will need all the power he can get to restore the DO's prison to its original state.

If strength does not matter, then he should take Moraine and someone else weak, so that Nynaeve can be part of the fighting.

I still think Alivia is more likely than Moiraine.

I think the question that @Arani was asking was not why you need a circle to weild Callandor but what they are trying to accomplish with Callandor. It this case sealing/destroying the DO. The question relates to how this is possible. While it is likely that this will require a tremendous amount of Power, I doubt that will be the deciding factor. Otherwise the CK would not have been destroyed and with the prophecies all emphasizing the importance of Callandor (a much weaker sa'angreal).

Your last sentence regarding letting Nynaeve fight if strength is not required is a good point. However, I believe trust in those linked to him is extremely important to Rand, even if it is not necessarily important to the outcome of him using Callandor. I believe Nynaeve (and either Moiraine, Elayne, or Avi) is included in the circle because Rand trusts them and not because they also happen to be strong.

Rand stated in ToM that he would have Nynaeve and either Elayne or Avi wield Callandor with him at TG. This seemed okay, if not ideal to me. Alivia would be better than Avi or Elayne because she is stronger than they are. However, now that Moraine is back, will he take her with him to TG? If so, I fear disaster. Moraine is nowhere near as strong as Nyn or Elayne, and her being part of the circle could drastically reduce the total power available to seal the bore.

Will Rand pick Moraine for the circle? Will this affect the strength of the circle? Did Ishy let her live in Foxworld because he knew Rand would have her rescued and take her to TG?

No.

I have said since I finished the book, it will be Nyn and Lanfear.

Moiraine will be sent to help / save Lan.

I still think Alivia is more likely than Moiraine.

She has to help him die somehow... I think she'll be there as well.

Archived