DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Asmodean

Oliver

Ok I am new here and I dont know if this has been discussed before but does any one else believe Taim is Asmodean? He seemed to show up right after Asmodean died right? Also every time Lews Therin/Rand got near Taim he went off as if he were one of the foresaken and as if he knew him. Finally Asmodean could have been brought back by now such as Lanfear?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I am new here and I dont know if this has been discussed before but does any one else believe Taim is Asmodean? He seemed to show up right after Asmodean died right? Also every time Lews Therin/Rand got near Taim he went off as if he were one of the foresaken and as if he knew him. Finally Asmodean could have been brought back by now such as Lanfear?

I've thought about this myself. We never had all the facts surrounding Taim's capture and escape from the AS. If the DO can bring back Lanfear despite all her transgressions, why not Asmodean?

Probs best to take the discussion over to the "Who Killed Asmodean" thread in Structured Discussion. Pretty much every single possibility has been explored 100 times.

As for Asmodean being Transmitigated, not a chance. Asmodean isnt comming back. The DO cannot resurrect him even if he wanted to. RJ said he could not because of both WHEN and WHERE Asmodean was killed. Take from that what you want, but fact is, no Asmodean comming back.

Edit: ohhh, you think taim IS asmodean, not KILLED. Well, thats crazy. As said above, Asmodean is gone, he isnt comming back.

Probs best to take the discussion over to the "Who Killed Asmodean" thread in Structured Discussion. Pretty much every single possibility has been explored 100 times.

As for Asmodean being Transmitigated, not a chance. Asmodean isnt comming back. The DO cannot resurrect him even if he wanted to. RJ said he could not because of both WHEN and WHERE Asmodean was killed. Take from that what you want, but fact is, no Asmodean comming back.

Edit: ohhh, you think taim IS asmodean, not KILLED. Well, thats crazy. As said above, Asmodean is gone, he isnt comming back.

Thats what I am saying I dont think Asmodean ever died. Well I mean at least a second time. I think Taim is really Asmodean. He is as powerful as Rand he is obviously somewhat Evil but steps in to help. He knew how to Travel right? He also knew weaves Rand did not know. He must have learned them somewhere.

The Great Lord of the Dark himself named Asmodean dead and there's not much room for arguing with the Lord of the Grave.

That may be true to him as in to the Lord of the Dark Asmodean is dead to him. He is no Longer Asmodean follower of the Great Lord he is now Mazim Taim who works for himself and for the Dragon. Just a theory. I mean someone must have taught Taim this stuff right?

Asmo is dead...

Sam from Sacramento: When it says at the end of The Fires of Heaven, "death took him," in Asmodean's last scene, do you mean that he died? There has been much speculation as to whether or not "death" refers to Moridin, whose name in the Old Tongue means "death." Many think that Moridin's second mindtrap is for Asmodean, but "death" was not capitalized in the scene where Asmodean made his last appearance. Can you tell me whether or not he was taken by Moridin?

RJ: Asmodean went for the long jump in that scene.

Asmodean is, and I quote, roadkill.

[The Path of Daggers book tour 21 November 1998, VA - John Novak reporting]

And not coming back...

WinespringBrother: Could the Dark One have brought back Asmodean if he wanted?

RJ: No.

WSB: Since you said at an earlier signing that the Dark One couldn't have brought back Asmodean if he wanted, was that at the time of Asmodean's death, or after that?

RJ: The Dark One couldn't bring back Asmodean because of the combination of 2 factors: HOW HE DIED and WHERE HE DIED. Not one or the other, both factors.

That may be true to him as in to the Lord of the Dark Asmodean is dead to him.

LOL. Suddenly, I've got this image of the DO as an archetypal boss straight out of a 1930s gangster flick: "OOOOOH, DAT ASMODEAN. DAT....DAT RAT! DAT DOITY RAT! HE'S DEAD TO ME. DEAD! YOU HEAR ME DEMANDRED? DEAD, I SAY. DEAD! NOW GET OUTTA HERE, YOUSE!"

WSB: Since you said at an earlier signing that the Dark One couldn't have brought back Asmodean if he wanted, was that at the time of Asmodean's death, or after that?

RJ: The Dark One couldn't bring back Asmodean because of the combination of 2 factors: HOW HE DIED and WHERE HE DIED. Not one or the other, both factors.

What's the current thinking on the 'where he died' bit? The only things we've seen prevent a transmigration are balefire and mashadar, I think. (The new forum search apparently doesn't allow phrase searching, I guess. Or searches with short words.)

-- dwn

Has there been any discussion of the theory that Asmodean was Demandred?

Someone asked for clarification about whether we had seen Mesaana's and Demandred's alter-egos on screen. Sanderson said that we had seen Mesaana's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams, but that we had not seen Demandred's alter-ego on screen as of Knife of Dreams. Sanderson would not elaborate on whether Demandred's alter-ego had been seen in The Gathering Storm—Sanderson didn't want to narrow down the suspects for us if Demandred really had appeared in The Gathering Storm.

Brandon's comments about Dem seem to have subtly narrowed down the criteria for Dem's whereabouts. Pretty much any clues we've gotten about Dem have been from his actions, not seeing him onscreen.

It just seems to me that even in The wiki answer of Taim can hold more power than Rand who besides one of the foresaken could do that if Taim isnt Asmodean he must be one of the other foresaken. All I know though is that I just for the first time read all the books available in a four month time. So the information is new and fresh and not studied it is very possible I missed things. Although. When Lew therin Screamed kill him at Taim

When Rand sees Mazrim Taim Lews Therin rages that he should have killed him long ago. (LoC,Ch42
He said he Should have Killed him a long time ago... They just met. In this book right? How long could he have known him a few days at most? I just dont see how Taim suddenly appeared knowing what he knew being as strong as he with no one to teach him. The only other explanation I can think of is it is Demandred
TGS,Prologue � Graendal wonders where Demandred�s rule is. If he were with the Borderlanders her spies would have told her.

It just seems to me that even in The wiki answer of Taim can hold more power than Rand who besides one of the foresaken could do that if Taim isnt Asmodean he must be one of the other foresaken. <snip>

The only other explanation I can think of is it is Demandred

OK, first, Taim is never said to be stronger than Rand (not even on wikipedia, and certainly not on the WOT wiki). He might be, but then again, he might not. "Very close" is the best we can do currently. Second, Asmodean's strength is unknown (well, currently, it's ZERO because he's dead, but whatever), so for all we know Taim is significantly stronger. Third: who else could do that? Anybody, potentially. There's no rule that says "Only Rand and the Forsaken can be OVER 9000!" or whatever. There are plenty of Asha'man that are near Rand and the top-tier male Forsaken in strength, just as there are plenty of modern female channelers who can compete with the female Forsaken. Fourth and last: Taim IS NOT Demandred. Period. Robert Jordan said so repeatedly. He's just not. It was a good theory, but it is also as dead as Asmodean.

Not to mention that most of the forsaken don't actually take up positions where they rule, they are more likely to pick up positions of power just off to the side, advisers and the like.

If Demandred was in the black tower it would be as a highly Ranked Asha'man not as Taim.

Not to mention that most of the forsaken don't actually take up positions where they rule, they are more likely to pick up positions of power just off to the side, advisers and the like.

If Demandred was in the black tower it would be as a highly Ranked Asha'man not as Taim.

Yeah, the only one who actually took up a top-level job was Be'lal, which worked because Tear just had the High Lords. A significant number of the Forsaken didn't even bother going the "power behind (or very near) the throne" route, though in Lanfear's case you could argue that she tried pulling that same basic scheme off, only with the Dragon Reborn instead of some random monarch.

Archived