DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Other Authors' Series, Time to Weigh In

Karana Majin

How would you rate your local library?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your local library?

• Excellent
    • Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Could do better
    • Could do MUCH better

Guest Karana Majin

Well, I've seen COUNTLESS threads where people discuss other authors series and whether they are good, bad or ugly. I'm picking the top contenders and making a poll. I'll leave space for one other vote, so people can write in (I'm sure I will forget some, so don't yell at me). Poll will run 7 days.

Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy are all the same story. They beat just about everything else (except A Song of Ice and Fire) hands down ... actually, wait, where is The Dark Tower by Stephen King?

*votes*

I cast my vote for Robin Hobb and Fitz as well.

Tawny Man and Farseer I liked more. The best part of Liveship Traders was Fitz's pseudo-cameo as Paragon in Ship of Destiny; even though I found it a bit over the top, FitzChivalry is still cooler than all the characters from Bingtown put together. I like it and all, but so many times in those books, the Commando-loving part of me wished the Catalyst would show up, ax in hand to chop some sense into those ninnies.

And as a close third (WoT being second), the Coldfire Trilogy was very, very, very excellent, owing mostly to the pure awesomosity of Gerald Tarrant.

And as a close third (WoT being second)' date=' the Coldfire Trilogy was very, very, very excellent, owing mostly to the pure awesomosity of Gerald Tarrant.[/quote']

Ooo, Coldfire! That was a fun series. *grins* Of course, I'm voting for Diskworld because really, nothing else comes close to the sheer level of _fun_ in it.

Guest Egwene

Desert Island situation and only allowed one author other than RJ?? Hmmm.... I would have to go for Raymond Feist. Mainly because I love the Empire Trilogy which is part of the Riftwar Saga. Have read those as often as WoT.

Robin Hobb would have been my next choice.

Well, I clicked other, as I am unsure whether I prefered James Clemens' The Banned & The Bannished series or Sara Douglass' The Axis Trilogy more.

I am surprised Feist wasn't up there as an option though...

I am glad Tolkein wasn't up there...LotR rates really lowly in my eyes.

Guest Karana Majin

Feist WAS up there, along with a couple of others, until the board told me I had too many options. :(

Oh noes! I forgot Lord of the Rings!!! *goes to edit* I'll replace a couple of the no vote folks to some of the ones mentioned.

Edit: I have now skewed the results hopelessly, completely invalidating any scientific basis to this poll!! :)

Guest Majsju

I would rather have seen Hobbs getting on the list than Tolkien, but that's just me...

But I find it unlikely goodkind will get any votes, so there should be an open spot... :wink:

Guest Egwene

Karana... people that have stated what 'others they have voted for you can add to the right author at the end (in a post... or can you edit numbers???)

I would rather have seen Hobbs getting on the list than Tolkien' date=' but that's just me...

But I find it unlikely goodkind will get any votes, so there should be an open spot... :wink:[/quote']

Good number of the "other" votes seem to be going to Hobb anyway... And as we have on numerous occasions, I must again agree that Terry Goodkind is a clownshoe.

Guest Winespring Brother

Hobb would certainly have got my vote too :D

(p.s. I couldn't really say that the Farseer, Live Ship and Tawny Man trilogies are one story. The Farseer trilogy by itself is an outstanding tale.)

Yeah, the Farseer was a good stand-alone piece. Sad ending, but that was cool too. Still, it's cool how it got wrapped up in the third series. Won't say anything more, for those who haven't read it and may wish to, spoiler-free......... OLD YELLER GETS SHOT AT THE END!!! There, I said it. I couldn't help it.

Hey WOT would not be here if it wasnt for the lord of the rings

Co-rect-o-mundo my friend. He started it all. There wouldn't be any anything without Tolkien. Yeah, parts of those books were a bit slow-going, but they are a masterpiece, and set the standard for all other fantasy. He's not my favorite, far from it, but credit where credit is due. Tolkien is where it all began. Well, mostly...

Other: Robin Hobbs

I loved her Farseer trilogy and the Liveship Traders. I haven't ready the Tawny Man one yet, but I hope to. :)

And a second, for me would have to be Anne McCaffey, I fell in love with Pern. :)

Archived