DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will we find out who Setalle Anan is?

Shai-tan

WoT-wiki

It is speculated that she is Martine Janata of the Brown Ajah, who was burned out more than 25 years ago while studying a ter'angreal. Setalle's current age is consistent with her having been burned out and then aging at a normal rate for 25 years.

From my work for the WoTFAQ

Who is Setalle Anan?

The short answer is, she is a woman who used to be Aes Sedai.

"You were Aes Sedai, once,'' he said quietly, and her hand froze.

She recovered herself so quickly that he might have imagined it. She was stately Setalle Anan, the innkeeper from Ebou Dar with the big golden hoops in her ears and the marriage knife dangling hilt-down into her round cleavage, about as far from an Aes Sedai as could be. "The sisters think I'm lying about never having been to the Tower. They think I was a servant there as a young woman and listened where I shouldn't have."

"They haven't seen you looking at this." He bounced the foxhead once on his hand before tucking it safely back under his shirt. She pretended not to care, and he pretended not to know she was pretending.

Her lips twitched into a brief, rueful smile, as if she knew what he was thinking. "The sisters would see it if they could let themselves," she said, as simply as if she were discussing the chances of rain, "but Aes Sedai expect that when . . . certain things . . . happen, the woman will go away decently and die soon after. I went away, but Jasfer found me half starved and sick on the streets of Ebou Dar and took me to his mother." She chuckled, just a woman telling how she met her husband. "He used to take in stray kittens, too. Now, you know some of my secrets, and I know some of yours. Shall we keep them to ourselves?"

[KoD; 9, A Short Path]

Is She the One Who is No Longer?

"The key to finding the bowl is to find the one who is no longer." [LOC: 19, Matters of Toh, 312]

Well, they found the bowl. "The one who is no longer" is still a mystery. So we should be saying, "the key to finding the one who is no longer is to find the bowl."

Aside from the clean logic of a woman who used to be Aes Sedai being someone 'who is no longer', there is the fact that if we look for one single person who was key to finding the Bowl of the Winds the most likely candidate is Setalle Anan, the innkeeper of The Wandering Woman. El and Ny's meeting with her set off the chain of events that led to finding the Bowl. (Anan introduced them to the Kin, who they got Mat to spy on, and when Mat followed one of them, she led him to the six-storied building where the Kin's stash of *angreal was.)

Who Was Setalle Anan When She Was Aes Sedai?

Was She Burned Out or Stilled?

Anan is most probably a burn out--her attitudes do not match that of a criminal; she is not furtive or secretive, displays no shame (and at times seems disdainful of the other Aes Sedai) none of which matches a woman who was severed due to a crime. Indeed whilst she would prefer the Aes Sedai not know who she was, she doesn't go largely out of the way to ensure that they do not. That seems more discomfort than shame at work.

In addition it is clear that the AS are not keeping tabs on Anan, and we know that AS tend to avoid Sisters who are severed accidentally. AS who are stilled for some crime, on the other hand, are often kept around the Tower to serve as examples.

A Kin Timeline

In [ACOS: 24, The Kin, 404]:

"Remember who she is, Garenia," Reanne said sharply. "If Setalle had betrayed us, we would be crawling to Tar Valon, begging forgiveness the whole way....She has kept the few secrets she knows from gratitude, and I doubt that has faded. She would have died in her first childbirth if the Kin had not helped her. What she knows comes from careless tongues...and the owners of those tongues were punished more than twenty years ago."

Which provides us with a lower limit. Setalle had been severed prior to twenty years ago.

Then we have the Garenia evidence: When Anan meets Garenia, she says...

"Your name is Garenia? You look very much like someone I met once. Zarya Alkaese." [ACOS: 23, Next Door to a Weaver, 395]

Garenia puts her off by saying that Zarya Alkaese was her great-aunt, but we find out in [TPOD: 28, Crimsonthorn, 542] that Garenia is Zarya Alkaese herself, and ran away from the Tower seventy years ago. This provides us with an upper limit--Setalle was still at the Tower seventy years ago.

So the timeline established is that Setalle was severed some time between twenty and seventy years ago.

Martine Janata

The Timeline

Vandene mentions Martine to Elayne whilst warning her of the dangers of studying ter'angreal.

"She was the last sister to really make a business of studying ter'angreal... She did it for forty years, almost from the time she reached the shawl.... Then one day, Martine's maid found her unconscious on the floor of her sitting room. Burned out.... That was more than twenty-five years ago.... She vanished once she was well enough to slip out of the Tower." [TPOD: 2, Unweaving, 75-76]

The timing makes this possible, as explained by John Hamby:

1. The timing of her burning out leaves five years for her to wander, meet her husband and get pregnant in order to fit the kin's statements of when Setalle gave birth to her first child.

2. Martine Janata was raised to the shawl over sixty-five years ago, placing her in training at the same time as Zarya Alkaese.

Also it is a bit too pat that we get the story of one such sister that provides us with a chronology that fits the criteria to be Setalle Anan--burn outs are rare. Two such with such perfect timing seems unlikely.

Ter'angreal, Martine and Setalle

Vandene makes clear Martine's fascination with ter'angreal--she studied them for forty years despire the dangers. In KoD we witness Setalle around ter'angreal.

"Joline must have tried to stop you. and Teslyn and Edesina as well, but whatever they did failed. I think that means you possess a ter'angreal that can disrupt flows of the Power. I've heard of such things-Cadsuane Melaidhrin supposedly had one, or so rumor said- but I've never seen the like. I would very much like to. I won't try to take it away from you, but I would appreciate seeing it."

[KoD; 7, A Cold Medallion]

"Could I see it? Just to see?"

There was no doubt what she meant. He hesitated, then fished in the neck of his shirt for the leather cord that held the medallion. He could not have said why. He had refused Joline and Edesina even a glimpse. It was a fine piece of work, a silver foxhead nearly as big as his palm. Only one eye showed, and enoughdaylight remained to see, if you looked close, that the pupil was half shaded to form the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai. Her hand trembled slightly as she traced a finger around that eye. She had said she only wanted to see it. but he allowed the touching. She breathed out a long sigh.

[KoD; 9, A Short Path]

Setalle shows a similar fascination to Mat's ter'angreal that one could see prompting a woman to study something so dangerous for upwards of forty years.

Conclusions

From the simple description of Setalle as one who is no longer Aes Sedai, combined with the role she played in finding the bowl, it seems certain that Setalle is the fulfilment of the Wise One's dream. From there the timelines in play combined with the similar fascination displayed by both woman towards ter'angreal make it very likely that Setalle is Martine Janata.

Well, we don't know if burning out can be healed (it is different than being severed for a crime), but if it can it would be easily possible for any asha'man who knows the technique to heal her, which would be quite a shock to the Aes Sedai to have undeniable proof that she survived 25 years severed from the source.

Well, we don't know if burning out can be healed (it is different than being severed for a crime), but if it can it would be easily possible for any asha'man who knows the technique to heal her, which would be quite a shock to the Aes Sedai to have undeniable proof that she survived 25 years severed from the source.

AFAIK Only one Asha'man/ saidin user knows who to heal severing, - Damer Flinn. This could be an interesting twist because Anan is respected by Tuon who would have to review her deep prejudices if she discovered Anan was marath'damane. But it would require Flinn to be near her for some reason, and for the subject to come up and for him to be able to handle burnout.

From my work for the WoTFAQ

Who is Setalle Anan?

The short answer is, she is a woman who used to be Aes Sedai.

"You were Aes Sedai, once,'' he said quietly, and her hand froze.

She recovered herself so quickly that he might have imagined it. She was stately Setalle Anan, the innkeeper from Ebou Dar with the big golden hoops in her ears and the marriage knife dangling hilt-down into her round cleavage, about as far from an Aes Sedai as could be. "The sisters think I'm lying about never having been to the Tower. They think I was a servant there as a young woman and listened where I shouldn't have."

"They haven't seen you looking at this." He bounced the foxhead once on his hand before tucking it safely back under his shirt. She pretended not to care, and he pretended not to know she was pretending.

Her lips twitched into a brief, rueful smile, as if she knew what he was thinking. "The sisters would see it if they could let themselves," she said, as simply as if she were discussing the chances of rain, "but Aes Sedai expect that when . . . certain things . . . happen, the woman will go away decently and die soon after. I went away, but Jasfer found me half starved and sick on the streets of Ebou Dar and took me to his mother." She chuckled, just a woman telling how she met her husband. "He used to take in stray kittens, too. Now, you know some of my secrets, and I know some of yours. Shall we keep them to ourselves?"

[KoD; 9, A Short Path]

Is She the One Who is No Longer?

"The key to finding the bowl is to find the one who is no longer." [LOC: 19, Matters of Toh, 312]

Well, they found the bowl. "The one who is no longer" is still a mystery. So we should be saying, "the key to finding the one who is no longer is to find the bowl."

Aside from the clean logic of a woman who used to be Aes Sedai being someone 'who is no longer', there is the fact that if we look for one single person who was key to finding the Bowl of the Winds the most likely candidate is Setalle Anan, the innkeeper of The Wandering Woman. El and Ny's meeting with her set off the chain of events that led to finding the Bowl. (Anan introduced them to the Kin, who they got Mat to spy on, and when Mat followed one of them, she led him to the six-storied building where the Kin's stash of *angreal was.)

Who Was Setalle Anan When She Was Aes Sedai?

Was She Burned Out or Stilled?

Anan is most probably a burn out--her attitudes do not match that of a criminal; she is not furtive or secretive, displays no shame (and at times seems disdainful of the other Aes Sedai) none of which matches a woman who was severed due to a crime. Indeed whilst she would prefer the Aes Sedai not know who she was, she doesn't go largely out of the way to ensure that they do not. That seems more discomfort than shame at work.

In addition it is clear that the AS are not keeping tabs on Anan, and we know that AS tend to avoid Sisters who are severed accidentally. AS who are stilled for some crime, on the other hand, are often kept around the Tower to serve as examples.

A Kin Timeline

In [ACOS: 24, The Kin, 404]:

"Remember who she is, Garenia," Reanne said sharply. "If Setalle had betrayed us, we would be crawling to Tar Valon, begging forgiveness the whole way....She has kept the few secrets she knows from gratitude, and I doubt that has faded. She would have died in her first childbirth if the Kin had not helped her. What she knows comes from careless tongues...and the owners of those tongues were punished more than twenty years ago."

Which provides us with a lower limit. Setalle had been severed prior to twenty years ago.

Then we have the Garenia evidence: When Anan meets Garenia, she says...

"Your name is Garenia? You look very much like someone I met once. Zarya Alkaese." [ACOS: 23, Next Door to a Weaver, 395]

Garenia puts her off by saying that Zarya Alkaese was her great-aunt, but we find out in [TPOD: 28, Crimsonthorn, 542] that Garenia is Zarya Alkaese herself, and ran away from the Tower seventy years ago. This provides us with an upper limit--Setalle was still at the Tower seventy years ago.

So the timeline established is that Setalle was severed some time between twenty and seventy years ago.

Martine Janata

The Timeline

Vandene mentions Martine to Elayne whilst warning her of the dangers of studying ter'angreal.

"She was the last sister to really make a business of studying ter'angreal... She did it for forty years, almost from the time she reached the shawl.... Then one day, Martine's maid found her unconscious on the floor of her sitting room. Burned out.... That was more than twenty-five years ago.... She vanished once she was well enough to slip out of the Tower." [TPOD: 2, Unweaving, 75-76]

The timing makes this possible, as explained by John Hamby:

1. The timing of her burning out leaves five years for her to wander, meet her husband and get pregnant in order to fit the kin's statements of when Setalle gave birth to her first child.

2. Martine Janata was raised to the shawl over sixty-five years ago, placing her in training at the same time as Zarya Alkaese.

Also it is a bit too pat that we get the story of one such sister that provides us with a chronology that fits the criteria to be Setalle Anan--burn outs are rare. Two such with such perfect timing seems unlikely.

Ter'angreal, Martine and Setalle

Vandene makes clear Martine's fascination with ter'angreal--she studied them for forty years despire the dangers. In KoD we witness Setalle around ter'angreal.

"Joline must have tried to stop you. and Teslyn and Edesina as well, but whatever they did failed. I think that means you possess a ter'angreal that can disrupt flows of the Power. I've heard of such things-Cadsuane Melaidhrin supposedly had one, or so rumor said- but I've never seen the like. I would very much like to. I won't try to take it away from you, but I would appreciate seeing it."

[KoD; 7, A Cold Medallion]

"Could I see it? Just to see?"

There was no doubt what she meant. He hesitated, then fished in the neck of his shirt for the leather cord that held the medallion. He could not have said why. He had refused Joline and Edesina even a glimpse. It was a fine piece of work, a silver foxhead nearly as big as his palm. Only one eye showed, and enoughdaylight remained to see, if you looked close, that the pupil was half shaded to form the ancient symbol of Aes Sedai. Her hand trembled slightly as she traced a finger around that eye. She had said she only wanted to see it. but he allowed the touching. She breathed out a long sigh.

[KoD; 9, A Short Path]

Setalle shows a similar fascination to Mat's ter'angreal that one could see prompting a woman to study something so dangerous for upwards of forty years.

Conclusions

From the simple description of Setalle as one who is no longer Aes Sedai, combined with the role she played in finding the bowl, it seems certain that Setalle is the fulfilment of the Wise One's dream. From there the timelines in play combined with the similar fascination displayed by both woman towards ter'angreal make it very likely that Setalle is Martine Janata.

You know, I also agree that the liklihood that she was Stilled is very, very low. I have a hunch she Burned Out.

But, if that IS the case (that she was Burned Out, I mean), doesn't that sorta raise the serious question: Just what the HECK was she trying to DO that ended with her being Burned Out???!

Fish

You know, I also agree that the liklihood that she was Stilled is very, very low. I have a hunch she Burned Out.

But, if that IS the case (that she was Burned Out, I mean), doesn't that sorta raise the serious question: Just what the HECK was she trying to DO that ended with her being Burned Out???!

Fish

Studying ter'angreal.

AFAIK Only one Asha'man/ saidin user knows who to heal severing, - Damer Flinn. This could be an interesting twist because Anan is respected by Tuon who would have to review her deep prejudices if she discovered Anan was marath'damane. But it would require Flinn to be near her for some reason, and for the subject to come up and for him to be able to handle burnout.

Yep, that is one theory of how Tuon will get over herself. (I'm of the opinion that she is going to end up in a situation where she needs something like she has never needed it before, and channel and well... she can't very well have herself collared as the ONLY remaining member of the royal line with any clear connection the throne so she will just have to get over herself.)

Anyway, that may not be the case as Damer has been with Logain's group since they were with Rand (and Logain certainly had an interest in an Asha'man copying what Nyn. did for him). Even if it is, it is completely possible that they will meet, after all we know the 3 ta'veren will meet again soon and she may just choose to follow Mat if she learns what Nyn. figured out during her stay in Camelyn. And if that happens she will meet Rand, and Damer is a part of Rand's group. Though, i do admit this does seem a bit complicated, but considering the cleansing was rather basic for the WoT that doesn't mean anything at all.

Fish

Studying ter'angreal.

I doubt this. It has to me more. I mean, we see tons of examples (especially in books 4-7) of the Wonder idiots and several Wise Ones doing that exact same thing (studying Ter'angeral) and none of them has Burned Out. What leads you to believe that Setalle was so inept?

Fish

Fish

Studying ter'angreal.

I doubt this. It has to me more. I mean, we see tons of examples (especially in books 4-7) of the Wonder idiots and several Wise Ones doing that exact same thing (studying Ter'angeral) and none of them has Burned Out. What leads you to believe that Setalle was so inept?

Fish

We do not in fact see that. No Wise Ones study ter'angreal. For that matter neither do any Aes Sedai besides Elayne, and her attempts are anything but safe--in [tPoD; 20, Into Andor] her first attempt leaves her dizzy and unable to sleep, her second attempt gives every woman who can channel a headache, and her third attempt made her do some very embarressing things, and wiped her memory.

Studying ter'angreal is very dangerous. Setalle (Martine) was not innept. In fact that she survived so long as she did means she knew what she was doing, and was very capable, but as Vandene states...

"Martine Janata also knew what she was doing, so I understand," she said casually. "She was the last sister to really make a business of studying ter'angreal. She did it for over forty years, almost from the time she reached the shawl. She was careful, too, so I was told. Then one day, Martine's maid found her unconscious on the floor of her sitting room. Burned out." Even in a conversational tone, those words were a sharp slap. Vandene's voice did not alter a hair, though. "Her Warder was dead from the shock. Not unusual in cases like that. When Martine came to, three days later, she couldn't recall what she had been working with. She couldn't remember the preceding week at all.

Fish

Studying ter'angreal.

Fish

We do not in fact see that. No Wise Ones study ter'angreal. For that matter neither do any Aes Sedai besides Elayne, and her attempts are anything but safe--in [tPoD; 20, Into Andor] her first attempt leaves her dizzy and unable to sleep, her second attempt gives every woman who can channel a headache, and her third attempt made her do some very embarressing things, and wiped her memory.

Studying ter'angreal is very dangerous. Setalle (Martine) was not innept. In fact that she survived so long as she did means she knew what she was doing, and was very capable, but as Vandene states...

"Martine Janata also knew what she was doing, so I understand," she said casually. "She was the last sister to really make a business of studying ter'angreal. She did it for over forty years, almost from the time she reached the shawl. She was careful, too, so I was told. Then one day, Martine's maid found her unconscious on the floor of her sitting room. Burned out." Even in a conversational tone, those words were a sharp slap. Vandene's voice did not alter a hair, though. "Her Warder was dead from the shock. Not unusual in cases like that. When Martine came to, three days later, she couldn't recall what she had been working with. She couldn't remember the preceding week at all.

Oh wow - I don't recall ever coming across that bottom quote there. Very revealing. Thanks for posting it.

Fish

Fish

Studying ter'angreal.

Fish

Oh wow - I don't recall ever coming across that bottom quote there. Very revealing. Thanks for posting it.

Fish

"Not unusual for cases like that". Since most sisters don't study ter'angreal, what do they do that causes burnout and "usually" warder death ? I guess one could stretch a point and say that Avi studies Ter'angreal though it's more like she has a gift of divination what a specific object is for.

Well, due to Avi's ability she is likely the only channeler (baring any others with the same Talent) capable of safely studying Ter'angreal. Heck, maybe that will put the Aes Sedai in their places (doubtful, but one can dream).

The shock of the bond being forcefully broken by the Aes Sedai holding it being severed, I know some of the warders from the three Aes Sedai that Rand severed died when he did so.

Either way, if she meets Damer and Avi on the same day her world will certainly be rocked. Though I do wonder how she will react to the idea that someone has a Talent that renders everything she did, and risked doing so, pointless. But then by this point it seems she may remember what it was like to be an Aes Sedai, but she is not one any more. Actually perhaps she is yet another example of what the tower needs to help get over itself, she has been "ordinary" long enough to be able to help.

I must admit I think the Martine idea is the best but just to throw another thought into the mix...... Were there not 2 amyrlins between new spring and Siuan? I know one was stilled and the other executed - could she be the stilled one? something was hinted at in TGS too i think about one of the forsaken being involved in getting rid of those amrylins - sorry can't remember who right now. would fit with the 20 years time frame too.

I must admit I think the Martine idea is the best but just to throw another thought into the mix...... Were there not 2 amyrlins between new spring and Siuan? I know one was stilled and the other executed - could she be the stilled one? something was hinted at in TGS too i think about one of the forsaken being involved in getting rid of those amrylins - sorry can't remember who right now. would fit with the 20 years time frame too.

Nah, none were stilled. It went...

1. Tamra - killed in secret by the Black Ajah.

2. Sierin - killed in secret by one (or more) of the Red Ajah at Chesmal's direction (according to Chesmal)

3. Marith - died of unknown causes, seemingly natural (no one speaks of her being murdered).

4. Siuan - stilled and deposed.

5. Elaida - captured by the Seanchan and declared unable to fulfil the office.

6. Egwene - superbadassery is still in progress.

Well, due to Avi's ability she is likely the only channeler (baring any others with the same Talent) capable of safely studying Ter'angreal. Heck, maybe that will put the Aes Sedai in their places (doubtful, but one can dream).

The shock of the bond being forcefully broken by the Aes Sedai holding it being severed, I know some of the warders from the three Aes Sedai that Rand severed died when he did so.

Either way, if she meets Damer and Avi on the same day her world will certainly be rocked. Though I do wonder how she will react to the idea that someone has a Talent that renders everything she did, and risked doing so, pointless. But then by this point it seems she may remember what it was like to be an Aes Sedai, but she is not one any more. Actually perhaps she is yet another example of what the tower needs to help get over itself, she has been "ordinary" long enough to be able to help.

the warders dieing due to rand severing their AS could be from the shock they stumbled/stopped fighting for a second and where slain by the aiel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moridean

I guess nobody else has considered the possibility that she was severed by the black ajah, along with her memory loss and warders death it all seems a bit too tidy. Thus the chances of her being cured are higher still and might be an eye opener for Setalle....

I think she wasn't able to sense Joline through an a'dam when Mat asked her to try, yet Siuan and Leane are able to do it with Moghedien. Yet another sign that she wasn't Stilled (@WOTLuckers, you might want to add this bit to your article, if it checks out).

There is no proof of that, unfortunately. That Joline got sick was a result of her trying to move whilst not complete with a proper Sul'dam, a function not built in to Moghedian's a'dam. Beyond that, if Setalle felt anything, she had good reason not to admit it--both before and after it was proved she couldn't serve as a sul'dam.

Archived