DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will be the role of the Horn?

martianblues

I guess it's the Why that gets me. What will the role of the heroes be in the LB, just fighting trollocs or something? seems a little...mundane.

I'm remembering in TGH, when Mat sounds the horn, and the heroes come, they don't seem at all put off by the fact that it's not time for the LB. There's no "hey, you called us back from the dead for this little skirmish? It's not time for the LB yet", just amusement at Rand worrying about a girl. and there is no specific mention of the Horn in the KC, IIRC. and yet the AoL aes sedai, seen in the Rhuidean vision, have the Horn and know it is important and hide it with the Dragon Banner. and where did they get it from?

and maybe I wasn't clear that I was just looking for speculation, not actual answers. I don't think anybody has the answers except maybe Harriet and BS and their team.

The horn i believe is a remnant from the age before the age of legends-our time (a world in which the U.S. and U.S.S.R. went to nuclear war, or at least that is what it sounded like from the "giants throwing spears of fire across the world"). If that is the case, then it was never forged for the last battle and its existence until this point is entirely coincidental, but like many coincidences it might end up being the lynch pin that drives the shadow back at the key moment. But yes, fighting trollocs is a bit mundane for the heros. Perhaps they have a far greater role to play.

See, the problem I have with the horn being from an age before the age of legends is why is the text on the horn in the old tongue? You'd think there'd be some older language before the age of legends (in a age great enough to make the horn).

Completely crazy idea here but what if Horn was made during the creation itself. And it is always present, throughout all the ages (would explain its ties to the DEAD heroes) and it is obviously connected to the patter in some way that nothing else is. Nothing but the Callandor, that is. Callandor was also connected to the "dead" hero LT via Rand (or to Rand via LT). It always got me intrigued how the hell did Callandor recognized that it was Rand (if simple weave of the AoL than the forsaken should have known of it, after all they were one of the bests of their time). So maybe, the Horn and Callandor both were created during the creation. And maybe that's why it will work for either side. I know it's completely crazy but there it is! :biggrin:

The wording on it, the grave is no bar to my call, has been added during the AoL, which explain why it is in Old Tongue. It has been confirmed by either RJ or BS, don't remember. I lile the theory of it being made during the Creation. Maybe it has been made to reboot the Creation :)

I don't think merk and Mosk with the spear of fire was refering to a nuclear war, but to the struggle for space conquer. Lenn in the belly of an eagle, and so on

Come Armageddon, the end of days will be announced when Saint Gabriel according to non-canonical tradtion. Believed to come from Norse mythology when Heimdall sounds his horn to announce the coming of Ragnarok.

In tGH Rand asked Thom what the link between the Horn exist the PotD are. Thom says there isn't really a link other then it must be blow before TG. What if Mat blowing the Horn at Falme was the time it needed to be blown and that's when the open moves of TG really started and he doesn't need to blow it anymore?

We know at least one Hero of the Horn has been spun out, and likely others. If Mat blows it again there may be only one or two people showing up. Of course I think that may be one way Rand fights the DO. He dies, Mat blows the horn in desperation, and to see his best friend one last time, and Rand lays the smackdown on the DO.

I theorize that the Horn was originally made for situations where the Dragon type has been turned Dark. I think if Mat had sounded it in TGS and asked them to help Rand, something really bad would have happened.

Yet another safety mechanism....hhmmm i like it!

I theorize that the Horn was originally made for situations where the Dragon type has been turned Dark. I think if Mat had sounded it in TGS and asked them to help Rand, something really bad would have happened.

I just think its unreasonable that the Pattern have the Dragon so uberly unstoppable and yet he is just a man, and any man can be broken. What better thing to send against him than the rest of the Heroes? RJ said there would be a rift? in the Pattern if the Heroes fought the Dragon and I thought that rift would be what snaps the Dark Dragons Ta'verenism. It also makes sense that it is never the Dragon that blows the Horn; not only does it mean the Light still have a chance, but it means if the Dark Dragon is killed and then the Horn was blown the Light would most likely get him back on side, under control of the Horn. So Mat I think is much, much more important than any of us might have realized. In the grand scheme of things hes supposed to be prepared to turn against Rand if it comes to it, in my oppinion, but that doesnt mean I think he will. It wont come to that

I just think its unreasonable that the Pattern have the Dragon so uberly unstoppable and yet he is just a man, and any man can be broken. What better thing to send against him than the rest of the Heroes? RJ said there would be a rift? in the Pattern if the Heroes fought the Dragon and I thought that rift would be what snaps the Dark Dragons Ta'verenism. It also makes sense that it is never the Dragon that blows the Horn; not only does it mean the Light still have a chance, but it means if the Dark Dragon is killed and then the Horn was blown the Light would most likely get him back on side, under control of the Horn. So Mat I think is much, much more important than any of us might have realized. In the grand scheme of things hes supposed to be prepared to turn against Rand if it comes to it, in my oppinion, but that doesnt mean I think he will. It wont come to that

Hmmmm, really interesting thought. Especially, since Mat experiences betraying Rand in the Portal Stone visions of possible worlds.

I'm curious as to where it is right now. I don't think it's in the Tower anymore. I've always thought that since Mat died and then Rand BF'd Rahvin and he lived again meant that he still lost the connection to the Horn. One of my pet theories is that Demandred will sound the Horn and there we will find out what happens when the Horn is sounded in "glory". Then there is the idea that Slayer is killing Heroes in T'A'R

I wonder if there's Heroes of the Dark.

Come Armageddon, the end of days will be announced when Saint Gabriel according to non-canonical tradtion. Believed to come from Norse mythology when Heimdall sounds his horn to announce the coming of Ragnarok.

This has always been my answer. Mythologically, the Horn has often been used as the precursor to the (deep booming voice) "End of All Things!". The horn in Norse mythology calls the heroes from Valhalla to fight, while our Saint Gabe sounds the horn to summon the Hosts of Heaven to fight the Denizens of Hell.

Its probably a mix of these two themes. The horn could be used to counter the Dreadlords, as channelling does not touch them. They can be put to use killing the millions of Trollocs so the Armies of Light aren't so vastly outnumbered, even to take care of the Worms and other nasties the Blight throws at them.

As for where the Horn comes from? My guess would be from the same Age that gave the world its Portal Stones.

Callandor was easy to hold, simply put a weave on it to collapse when touched by a Channelling Ta'veren

if the Dark Dragon is killed and then the Horn was blown the Light would most likely get him back on side, under control of the Horn.

interesting idea, safety net in case the Dragon is turned to the dark one.

Ishy does say that the Dragon had served the DO in previous ages, and yet the DO is still imprisoned...

if the Dark Dragon is killed and then the Horn was blown the Light would most likely get him back on side, under control of the Horn.

interesting idea, safety net in case the Dragon is turned to the dark one.

Ishy does say that the Dragon had served the DO in previous ages, and yet the DO is still imprisoned...

That means the Dragon wasnt loyal to the Dark One, he would be a Demandred type rather than an Ishamael type. The Dragon must WANT the Pattern to be destroyed, if he wanted to rule over some of the Pattern after the Dark One breaks free then it wont work.

I think Mat can turn against Rand in a heartbeat if Rand was "evil." After the dagger and his previous life betrayed by AS he has zero tolerance in following or trusting anyone who is not 100% with him (and even than....). But than, i do like Mat a lot so maybe it's brotherly love that's talking biggrin.gif

Sorry I missed this before.

I think of the Forsaken as exacly that. The Heroes of the Horn are reborn to create legends. The Forsaken are reincarnated to cause more chaos. The two seem like the Creators and Dark Ones version of the same thing. Everyone is reborn, and the Creator recycles his favorites just as the Dark One does. I think the reason Rand has previous lives memories is because he is a Hero, having the memories because he exists in the world as he us supposed to, just like Hawkwing remembers because hes only there because the Horn had summoned him. Birgitte however, was brought to the world against he will of the Wheels rebirth system, and so she begins to lose the memories. The Forsaken retain the memories they acquired in their previous body, IMO the Heroes retain the memories of past lives, and Rand and Lews Therin are one person, one character, just like Elan Morin and Ishamael and Moridin are, and Birgitte and her past lives are. IMO

Sorry I missed this before.

I think of the Forsaken as exacly that. The Heroes of the Horn are reborn to create legends. The Forsaken are reincarnated to cause more chaos. The two seem like the Creators and Dark Ones version of the same thing. Everyone is reborn, and the Creator recycles his favorites just as the Dark One does. I think the reason Rand has previous lives memories is because he is a Hero, having the memories because he exists in the world as he us supposed to, just like Hawkwing remembers because hes only there because the Horn had summoned him. Birgitte however, was brought to the world against he will of the Wheels rebirth system, and so she begins to lose the memories. The Forsaken retain the memories they acquired in their previous body, IMO the Heroes retain the memories of past lives, and Rand and Lews Therin are one person, one character, just like Elan Morin and Ishamael and Moridin are, and Birgitte and her past lives are. IMO

RJ has said many times that no one is fated to be evil. All those Forsaken turned on their own choice, not because they were destined to do so. The idea of dark heroes goes against the whole idea of free will in the first place. That is why the Dragon has turned to the Shadow before but in this turning is still a good guy. For all we know, in the previous turning Demandred was a saint who was followed by skipping lambs and clouds of butterflies everywhere.

Archived