DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Query: Will Loial Die?

Malruhn

I just finished up Crossroads of Twilight (again), and a thought struck me as I rolled over to go to sleep...

Since fans have concluded (and RJ has hinted at), Loial is modeled after RJ...

I am wondering if BS will do an homage scene to RJ, and in the last book have Loial die in a heroic manner - and have a new author step up to compile the notes and write the Legacy of the Dragon.  I am wondering if perhaps it might be Olver, who LOVES the stories of heroes and such that he has heard (and loves Jaim Farstrider/Noal as well).

It was just a thought - and I have thick skin... go ahead and discuss!

I would say there is an outside chance that Loial will die.  But I really don't think that he will.  He has been in the series since tEotW.  I just don't see Brandon Sanderson killing him off, even if Loial is modeled after RJ.

At least I really hope he doesn't die.  He is in my top 3 favorite characters in the series.

Just a thought, but if he does kill off Loial and have Olver take over the book it could be taken as you put it but it may be misconstrued and have a negative tone by some who would see Loial as RJ and Olver as BS and see him as overstepping his place in finishing the saga. It wouldn't be meant like that of course, but I think some people may see it as that, unless it was RJ's intention for the story to continue that way and BS makes that clear.

Oh, I agree with your opinion of Loial!  Of all the characters, the one I would most like to meet is him.

The thought was just that it would be an homage to the Master - RJ - by his protoge' - BS.

Imagine this...

In the final battle (this includes MY theory of PART of the last battle!!), Rand is busy with the Chosen and the DO... and suddenly Padan Fain/Mordeth attacks Rand from behind with what is sure to be a killing blow if it lands (Rand is either occupied or unaware).

At the very last second, Loial intervenes and kills Fain in a Pyrrhic battle (like Gollum regaining the One Ring at Mordor... and sinking into the lava), and dies in the process.

When the threads of the story are being tied up at the end of the last book, a heartbroken Olver shows up, face streaked with tears, and vows to continue the Great Work that Loial started.  He gathers up the notes in his little arms and disappears to begin editing and writing.

Or... alternatively...

Loial's been gone from the Stedding for WAY too long (as already established).  As the last battle ends, Loial is dying (and returning him to the Stedding won't help).  He is afraid that his Great Work will die with him and nobody will write the Legacy of the Dragon.

Olver shows up, face streaked with tears, and vows to continue the Great Work that Loial started.  The last book ends with the dying Loial dictating things he's seen that weren't yet in the notes, and young Olver dutifully taking all the words down.

Dang, I'm misting up!!

"...I personally don't think he will die, but instead will be one of the survivors to "tell the tale".  this isnt to say he won't or can't just that I doubt his demise is in the cards.~"

It just feels like his sole purpose here is to be the one to tell the tale after TG so the next age can form their own misconceptions about what actually happened.  Plus I think he will go all juggernaut supreme on some key bad guy in some way during the battle, I kind of like the padan fain thing from above.

Brandon knows all the fates. If Loial dies, it is because RJ planned for him to die. As for whether he will, it could go either way.

This statement helps me with my last post, thanks. Since Brandon knows what RJ wanted as long as he continues to write the books from RJ's notes and as RJ wanted it that seems like a good idea. But if it wasn't RJ's intention for this storyline to go this way and Brandon takes the liberty to change the story this way, even if it is supposed to honour RJ, I think it would be received poorly, as Brandon overstepping his involvement with finishing RJ's story.

He has made it clear that he has no intention of taking over the story, merely continuing to tell us what RJ wanted us to know. However, no matter what comes out in the next few books the general public will think it was RJ's ideas whether BS changes/adds his own ideas. But having people that were close to RJ working with BS on the books will probably prevent that. I don't know BS personally but from his intro in tGS, I can't see him even trying to do that. I believe he will write what RJ wanted and I think that is honouring him more than killing off a character that represents him, if he didn't intend the death.

tho this brings up another point: with all the plot threads that need to be tied up can it be done in 2 more books with out feeling rushed and leaving us unsatisfied?

btw i think that it is loial who is narating the story anyways (i got that feeling from the start, expecialy with some of the 4th age excerpts and tiny bits of old 3rd age stuff added in)

tho this brings up another point: with all the plot threads that need to be tied up can it be done in 2 more books with out feeling rushed and leaving us unsatisfied?

RJ said not everything will be neatly tied up, there will be loose ends.

Archived