DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who will live/die in TOM and AMOL (spoilers, just to be safe)

KefkaPalazzo

Sadly i'm pretty sure that Lan is going to bite it. Min has a viewing of Nynaeve in grief on somebody's grave, so I think that he is going to leave her pregnant with an infant child with the sword of malkier kings to rebuild the seven towers.

Even if Lan survives TG he will assuredly die before Nynaeve simply because she is a channeler and will live vastly longer than him - of course assuming someone doesn't randomly plant a knife in her back, but I find that unlikely. So the Nynaeve viewing in tGS could be about Lan but happen years in the future when he dies of old age - Min wouldn't be able to tell it was years in the future because Nynaeve will look the same because she has slowed.

Granted, Lan could always die at TG too, I just really don't want that to happen...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly i'm pretty sure that Lan is going to bite it. Min has a viewing of Nynaeve in grief on somebody's grave, so I think that he is going to leave her pregnant with an infant child with the sword of malkier kings to rebuild the seven towers.

Even if Lan survives TG he will assuredly die before Nynaeve simply because she is a channeler and will live vastly longer than him - of course assuming someone doesn't randomly plant a knife in her back, but I find that unlikely. So the Nynaeve viewing in tGS could be about Lan but happen years in the future when he dies of old age - Min wouldn't be able to tell it was years in the future because Nynaeve will look the same because she has slowed.

Don't forget he is already twice her age.

Don't forget he is already twice her age.

Yeah, that too. :)

I've always found the lack of good guy deaths makes WOT a bit soft for me. The Forsaken die nearly every book - some twice - and yet not one of the major good guys have died (the main good guys i consider are the ones introduced in EOTW, plus Avi & Faile). I havn't read any series where not one major good guy has died, and for a good v evil series this makes it kinda a feelgood fantasy series.

First I thought Faile might die and Perrin wearing Two Rivers white for mourning would snub Berelain again. Nup.

However I always had a gut feeling Min might snuff it. But the 3 women standing over Rand's funeral pyre always held me back. But now that the old Rand has died and that Logain stepped over Rand on a funeral pyre onto a black stone, but it was a puppet Rand (or whatever Egwene dreamt) Which may have happened during TGS, I think that the door is open for 1 of the 3 to die.

I like the idea that Min was the corpse Nynaeve was standing over. Nice and ironic  :)

I've always found the lack of good guy deaths makes WOT a bit soft for me. The Forsaken die nearly every book - some twice - and yet not one of the major good guys have died (the main good guys i consider are the ones introduced in EOTW, plus Avi & Faile). I havn't read any series where not one major good guy has died, and for a good v evil series this makes it kinda a feelgood fantasy series.

First I thought Faile might die and Perrin wearing Two Rivers white for mourning would snub Berelain again. Nup.

However I always had a gut feeling Min might snuff it. But the 3 women standing over Rand's funeral pyre always held me back. But now that the old Rand has died and that Logain stepped over Rand on a funeral pyre onto a black stone, but it was a puppet Rand (or whatever Egwene dreamt) Which may have happened during TGS, I think that the door is open for 1 of the 3 to die.

I like the idea that Min was the corpse Nynaeve was standing over. Nice and ironic  :)

Well, if you remember WAAAAAAY back when in book 5, Min had a viewing for Sheriam that looked good, even to the readers, (silver and blue, and sunlight) but we all know how it turned out.  It seems that most of the time, the gut reaction is wrong when Min isn't sure.  The gut reaction with Nynaeve's viewing is that it's Lan. 

What if it's Birgitte, and she's mourning that she effectively "killed" her twice inside 2 years?  She seems to believe that Birgitte is not a Hero anymore, so she'd see the death here as final.  Nynaeve feels guilty about getting her pulled out of TAR, so a real death would only make it worse.

the death of some minor characters, like eben and morr, really pained me to read and were so powerful by themselves. also liah in shadar logoth so it isnt a feel good series

Really? Not even a flicker for me.

I guess the lack of major deaths does remove all suspense for me. Oh dear Egwene is in trouble for the 20th time zzzzzzzz. I mean does anyone seriously believe she and Gawyn will die. I guess I like novels that shock you a bit, and I'm sure someone major is gonna die. I don't think RJ wrote the plan where he thinks "OK, I'll put the main characters for the Light in deaths way about 80 times and Rand will lose a hand, meanwhile the main characters for the Shadow will have an 80% chance of death when they get in trouble and some i'll even kill twice". It just seems a bit unbalanced for me.

I believe Mat and Aviendha both died, but were brought back to life because of balefire. 

Yeah. Brought back within the same chapter. Once a character has been around long enough to grow emotionally attached to them they're essentially "safe" so far in the series. If that doesn't change I'll be disappointed. No one except Mat is that lucky, but somehow everyone on the side of light that has any kind of a role to play always makes it out in time. Always.Hell even Moiraine. The one character removed from the storyline who's death seemed to serve a real purpose at the time... nope. not dead.

There's the cynical side of me that wants to go back and point a finger at all the minor characters who died and call them darkfriends, because if they weren't they'd still be alive.

I'm really hoping there's some major Light side causalities in ToM to make it really clear that the Light is the underdog in the Last Battle.

I would put money on the upcoming deaths of Cadsuane, Sorelia, Noal, and a number of Aes Sedai, Kinswomen, Wise Ones and Asha'man whose names we know.

Many of the deaths I think will be noble and self-sacrificing, while a few will just be abrupt and tragic.

I agree that we need to see a certain level of desperation on the side of the light before TG.

aMoL is gunna be intense!

This is more of an idle though than a who i want/theory. What if Rand really dies? Think about it.

The finns (who told him to live you must die) might see more than just rand.what if they see LTT or more specifically the soul that make up LTT+DR. If the DR doesn't sacrifce himself then the last battle is lost and the wheel ends. I.E, no more lives reborn. DO wins period.

i've also heard theory's that rand changes bodies with mordin. not to sure about that personally. Isn't one of his boy children meant to be diffrent? What if thats becaues that's where his soul ends up after he's died. His three lovers are meant to be The Maiden, Mother and Crone after all (av/maiden elayne/mother min/crone as she'll die first)

also Aram was an asshole and desirved too die(he was never very nice really even before he picked up a sword,lost his family and went mental) but i do think he should have died defending perrin some how. last moment redemtion sort of things.

sorry digressed a bit their.

This is more of an idle though than a who i want/theory. What if Rand really dies? Think about it.

The finns (who told him to live you must die) might see more than just rand.what if they see LTT or more specifically the soul that make up LTT+DR. If the DR doesn't sacrifce himself then the last battle is lost and the wheel ends. I.E, no more lives reborn. DO wins period.

that choice (living / dying) mught also be related to the other threads here about "killing" the DO once and for all. so it might go like : "if you accept to die, then the DO dies, but if you decide to survive, then its back to the Future, new turning of the Wheel, new Prison without patch..."

Siuan is the one character that i dont want to see bite the big one. Thats why I think that she will. I have to say about the lack of main character kill-offs, the minor ones have hit me so hard as to know anyone can kick the bucket at anytime. I mean when Leanne was in the cell in the tower and was almost sucked into who knows where, I put the book down and waited half an hour before i went back and finished the scene. I thought that she was a gonner. Then bang, we lose Verin. Another blow to me. Or how about the blues that were killed in Salidar. And Moiraines death or disapperance still impacts me everytime i re-read it. I have no absolute she is coming back until she shows up and says "Here I am." Heck even when Shiriam got killed off panel I was sad and she was black. I feel that there have been enough deaths. And just so we dont think all i care about are the aes sedi. When Reanne Corly from the kin is killed all i could think about was how badly she wanted to be a green. That is the kind of stuff that stays with you. That what makes this series so wonderful. Heck what about half the men that go to ebou dar with mat. Dead, dead, dead. Killed by a grey man. Or that poor novice sent to a farm just for bringing news of min to suian. No there has been enough death to make up for the lack of main character deaths. and alot of these characters i consider main characters. And for the record I dont want anyone to die, but i know that it has to happen and no matter who it is I will love it and hate it. RIP Verin.

I'm really hoping there's some major Light side causalities in ToM to make it really clear that the Light is the underdog in the Last Battle.

I would put money on the upcoming deaths of Cadsuane, Sorelia, Noal, and a number of Aes Sedai, Kinswomen, Wise Ones and Asha'man whose names we know.

Many of the deaths I think will be noble and self-sacrificing, while a few will just be abrupt and tragic.

I agree that we need to see a certain level of desperation on the side of the light before TG.

aMoL is gunna be intense!

I'm going to be very disappointed if the Shadow's forces haven't started pouring into most of Randland by the end of ToM. There needs to be that sense of desperation. Yes, Rand seems to have his head on fairly straight after Veins of Gold, but he messed up a lot of things before that scene. A strike by the Shadow would be perfect now, while the Light's forces are weakened and in disarray.

Also, Taim's Asha'aman better cause some major damage at the BT. That plotline has too much potential to flop.

Death is, by itself, nothing interesting. There are far more interesting things you can do to a character than kill them. And not killing people doesn't make those people safe. Look at Rand - his "safety" has seen him lose a hand and go insane. Perrin tortured a man for information. That's hardly feelgood, is it? Hardly easy or soft. The principal reason that no major good guys have died is that they are still needed. But the end of the series is approaching, and they near the end of their usefulness. Don't be surprised if some big names die in upcoming books. But personnaly I'm not bothered about who dies, so much as their deaths are done well. Steven Erikson kills off hundreds of characters that we don't care about, to very little impact. George R.R. Martin kills off a fair few that we do care about, to much greater impact. And in a series with so little death, those that come will have all the more impact. I've been predicting Egwene's death for a while now, and Gawyn's. I think both are distinct possibilities.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned on this topic yet, which Forsaken do you think may survive after Tarmon Gaidon?

I had thought for awhile that Ishamael/Moridin would survive, but feel differently after TGS. Although she's currently tied to the cour'sourva, Cyndane may be a possibility- considering she was the one (along with Beidomon) that drilled the Bore in the first place, it would be interesting to have her survive since she helped introduce the Shadow to the world.  That leaves the remaining Forsaken:

Demandred-will not walk away from duel with Rand

Mesaana-will soon be fried by Egwene

Balthamel/Aran'gar-could be a wild card, but don't see them surviving

Moghedien-I'm shocked that she's survived to this point, but not much longer

And the ultimate wild card...

Graendal-yes, yes I know it's more than likely she's a goner.  If she somehow has survived, then I predict her to be the one Forsaken to survive the Last Battle.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned on this topic yet, which Forsaken do you think may survive after Tarmon Gaidon?

I had thought for awhile that Ishamael/Moridin would survive, but feel differently after TGS. Although she's currently tied to the cour'sourva, Cyndane may be a possibility- considering she was the one (along with Beidomon) that drilled the Bore in the first place, it would be interesting to have her survive since she helped introduce the Shadow to the world.  That leaves the remaining Forsaken:

Demandred-will not walk away from duel with Rand

Mesaana-will soon be fried by Egwene

Balthamel/Aran'gar-could be a wild card, but don't see them surviving

Moghedien-I'm shocked that she's survived to this point, but not much longer

Graendal-yes, yes I know it's more than likely she's a goner.  If she somehow has survived, then I predict her to be the one Forsaken to survive the Last Battle.

I think all the FS will bite it, but if not I would put my money on Moridin. Him and Rand seem to share emotions through their link, and where Moridin used to influence Rand's mood, I think it will go the other way around now. Plus Moridin basically only wants to win because he wants it all to end (instead of constantly being spun out again) but if Rand's newfound inspiration for why to fight also goes through  the link to Moridin, maybe he will shift sides.

All of the others seem ruled by ambition and greed and will fight for their chance for immortality and rule. Which will get them killed if light-side wins.

But okay they all wanna survive so maybe they will flee if Light-side seems to have the best odds

there were light side characters i was sad to see go

Morr, Hopwill, Anaiya, Reanne, Nalasean (sp?), and Ingtar and Verin (though calling those last two light side is debatable)

as i've already stated, i think Noal/Jain will die, and since thinking about it a bit more there are others i think will go too

Flinn (though i hope not coz he's awesome), Lan, Bashere, Sorilea, Cadsuane, Rhuarc, and Alivia

that's just my 2c

I'll admit - partly because I'm a wildly biased Graendal fan - I'm still hanging on to this theory. The only way for a Forsaken to survive the Last Battle and beyond is if none of the good guys are looking for him/her. And with the possible exception of Moghedien, none is better suited to a life of mild, closeted nefariousness than our favourite sexy blonde bad-ass.

I'll admit - partly because I'm a wildly biased Graendal fan - I'm still hanging on to this theory. The only way for a Forsaken to survive the Last Battle and beyond is if none of the good guys are looking for him/her. And with the possible exception of Moghedien, none is better suited to a life of mild, closeted nefariousness than our favourite sexy blonde bad-ass.

Yep, I'm in the same camp as well.  Love Graendal!

Archived