DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Lan ta'veren? (New Spring Spoilers)

CowboyNinjaD

In New Spring, several references are made to Lan having unnaturally good luck. Plus, there's an instance where the prince falls 50 feet from a balcony and only gets a few bruises.

So I'm wondering if Lan himself is ta'veren or if Rand's ta'vereness is so strong that it starts working on Lan before Rand is even born, just to make sure Lan is there to help Rand survive.

I'm leaning toward the former, since Rand wouldn't have any effect on the falling kid. But even though Lan is ta'veren, he's just overshadowed by Rand, Mat and Perrin.

I think I agree with Agitel. In the WOT universe, some people appear to be luckier than others, although some instances of Lan's "battle luck" I think are actually just instances of his skills. As for the Prince's fall, that could be the Prince's luck, or any number of things.

I can't remember if it says this anywhere in the books, but I don't know if some people can be ta'veren for a short period of time (such as a few years). If that's the case, it could be possible that some people are not born ta'veren - although Rand most likely was.

Also, events working in favour towards Lan and Moiraine may be part of Rand's ta'vereness, but keep in mind that the Pattern has been setting up for Rand's birth/reign for centuries. As Rand hasn't yet drawn Moiraine and Lan to him, events working in their favour likely come from the intuitive Pattern.

Another thing to keep in mind is Siuan's ability to see ta'veren. As Siuan would have seen Lan sometime between New Spring and Eye of the World, if Lan indeed was ta'veren, likely Siuan would have told Moiraine, and it seems that Moiraine wouldn't have kept that from us/Rand/Lan. Although who's to say with Aes Sedai?

Doubt that Lan is Ta'veren or a potential channeler or any of the other theories that have floated around about him.

He's "just" a guy who has a very strong sense of morals and duty and insanely great battle skills.

Also a deficient sense of self preservation. He married Nyn after all.

Rand's Tavern'ness only turned on slightly before Moir+Lan arrived at the two rivers. So it couldn't be Rand.

Might be Lan. Doubt it though, probably be revealed before now. Unless it's building to something huge, but it would probably be more obvious if it was foreshadowing.

Like Lan showing up with about 100,000 soldiers at the eastern end of the Borderlands after disappearing for two books?

Because I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen.

I'm not saying he's as Taverene as the main three, but he definitely has a big part in the pattern.

MINOR GATHERING STORM SPOILERS

Edit. Minor, major, does not matter. No spoilers allowed here.

I still don't think Lan's ta'veren, his army will be used by Rand someway, whether directly or as a diversion, and thus is likely the result of Rand pulling in whatever he needs. If we looked at any person who seems to be very lucky or able to do significant things such as Lan does, we would have to believe that Padan Fain is ta'veren. I mean, Fain survived the Dark One's touch, the Shadar Logoth taint, Mashadar (which he even seems able to control now), and although not being able to channel, has survived in fights against Rand and others, and is able to kill Myrddraal. But I don't think there is any reason to call Padan Fain a ta'veren. I think people are fishing for justifications.

• 4 months later...

In New Spring, several references are made to Lan having unnaturally good luck. Plus, there's an instance where the prince falls 50 feet from a balcony and only gets a few bruises.

So I'm wondering if Lan himself is ta'veren or if Rand's ta'vereness is so strong that it starts working on Lan before Rand is even born, just to make sure Lan is there to help Rand survive.

I'm leaning toward the former, since Rand wouldn't have any effect on the falling kid. But even though Lan is ta'veren, he's just overshadowed by Rand, Mat and Perrin.

Lan isn't lucky...all that time with Miraine and didn't tap that ass once..thats just plaim unlucky.

Rand's Tavern'ness only turned on slightly before Moir+Lan arrived at the two rivers. So it couldn't be Rand.

Might be Lan. Doubt it though, probably be revealed before now. Unless it's building to something huge, but it would probably be more obvious if it was foreshadowing.

Like Lan showing up with about 100,000 soldiers at the eastern end of the Borderlands after disappearing for two books?

Because I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen.

Lan wouldnt need to be Ta'veren to get 100,000 followers from the Borderlands. He is the Uncrowned King of Malkier.

• 9 years later...