DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football - World Cup 2010

Majsju

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that is football, refs do make mistakes. Of course, if the US had actuslly bothered to play football in the first half, instead of running around without any thought or structure, they would not have needed that goal in the first place. Sure, slovenia has proved to be beter than many thought before the tournament started, but the two goals the US concede were more a result of really poor play from the US, than from good play by Slovenia.

And cheer up, yanks, at least you did not have as bad luck with the ref as Klose, whose two bookings not only meant that Germany lost to Serbia, making that group  wide open. It also means Klose is suspended next match, and he is Germanys best striker. (It also means that Kloses chance of catching Ronaldo as the World Cups best ever scorer is pretty much completely gone.)

It looks like James will be in the goal for England tonight. Not a bad call after Green missed a similar shot by Ray Clements in training that he did against the US. Lets just hope James knows that you have to stop the ball going into his net  ::)

Capello must be the only person in the world who did not see Green as the 3rd keeper before the WC started. My choice has been Hart all the way, but now it would take an injury/red card on James for him to get to play.

Barry back for tonights match, which makes the team a lot more balanced.

I do not see Uruguay as a surprise. It was well known that they had a strong and organised defence, as well as an absolutely lethal attack. The big question were; Can they link the two?

Their way to World Cup was by no means straightforward and, notwithstanding Forlan and Suarez, the team is not that impressive. I’ve always been of the opinion that a strong midfield is crucial but Uruguay is convincing me otherwise. Looking forward to Uruguay-Mexico, last time the teams met Mexico beat Uruguay.

Argentine-South-Korea was one of the most enjoyable games thus far, up to the point where Argentine scored their third goal and SK gave up. Also, horrible mistake from Demichelis, you don’t expect those from Argentine. Otherwise beautiful pass-and-move football from both teams.

Missed Serbia-Germany, duh.

Well, that is football, refs do make mistakes. Of course, if the US had actuslly bothered to play football in the first half, instead of running around without any thought or structure, they would not have needed that goal in the first place. Sure, slovenia has proved to be beter than many thought before the tournament started, but the two goals the US concede were more a result of really poor play from the US, than from good play by Slovenia.

And cheer up, yanks, at least you did not have as bad luck with the ref as Klose, whose two bookings not only meant that Germany lost to Serbia, making that group  wide open. It also means Klose is suspended next match, and he is Germanys best striker. (It also means that Kloses chance of catching Ronaldo as the World Cups best ever scorer is pretty much completely gone.)

Actually, Findley got his second yellow card of the Cup on a phantom hand call (the ball went off his face, not his hand) so the Americans are in the same position

Actually, Findley got his second yellow card of the Cup on a phantom hand call (the ball went off his face, not his hand) so the Americans are in the same position

It is far from the same, since findley got his cards in separate matches, so the match against Slovenia was not affected, other than him having to be a bit more careful.

Kloses card meant that Germany had to play 10 men against 11, for almost an hour.

Over all, the refs have been very good so far. there will always be mistakes, but there has been way fewer than usual.

After France - Mexico last nightm I thought that there is no way one of the big teams could perform any worse than France did. England proved me quite wrong.

Only positive thing England can take away from this game is that James showed some stability in goal. Much needed, now that they have lost another defender. Debut for Dawson next match...Ok, considering that he is replacing caragher, that is probably an improvement.

Still no word on who did what to get that goal called back.  Kind of odd when the referee calls a foul and refuses to disclose an offending player and an offense.

Apparently FIFA doesn't require the ref to disclose that info... stupid to me but whatever... I think the Ref realized that he completely blew the call and doesn't want to have to explain it.  Seems kinda babyish to me not to own up to the mistake.

This is reminiscent of Jim Joyce blowing the Perfect Game for Galarraga a few weeks ago.

Still no word on who did what to get that goal called back.  Kind of odd when the referee calls a foul and refuses to disclose an offending player and an offense.

Apparently FIFA doesn't require the ref to disclose that info... stupid to me but whatever... I think the Ref realized that he completely blew the call and doesn't want to have to explain it.  Seems kinda babyish to me not to own up to the mistake.

This is reminiscent of Jim Joyce blowing the Perfect Game for Galarraga a few weeks ago.

The ref did not see anything, it was one of the assisting that told him something had happened.

If you watch the situation, you clearly see the ref look at the assisting, before making the call.

As for disclosure, there really is no need for that. We who sit in front of the telly sees everything that happens, and we have experts on the telly analyzing every questionable situation. In that sense, we know better than the ref and his team what is going on out there. However, it is one thing sitting in your comfy couch, just watching the game, and always having a reprise available. being out there on the pitch, having only seconds to make a call, that is a different story. I have been assisting for 16 yearolds a couple of games, and even there it was hard to see exactly what happened when you had loads of players in the box, more than nce I just went with my gutfeeling.

FIFA apparently doesn't agree that this was a normal mistake:

The referee who denied the United States a dramatic World Cup victory over Slovenia on Friday is likely to be excluded from the rest of the tournament, according to a FIFA source.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

FIFA apparently doesn't agree that this was a normal mistake:

The referee who denied the United States a dramatic World Cup victory over Slovenia on Friday is likely to be excluded from the rest of the tournament, according to a FIFA source.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

What is normal is that mistakes happen. Obviously, some will be worse than others. Though, I would say that this is only the second worse mistake of the WC, the worst was sending Cahill off in the Germany - Australia match.

Look at it this way, the US still has a chance. Australia without Cahill? totally screwed.

Archived