DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Football - World Cup 2010

Majsju

Ok, next summer may seem far away, but now we have the draw, so it feels a wee bit closer.

Group A

France

Mexico

South Africa

Uruguay

Group B

Argentina

Greece

Nigeria

South Korea

Group C

Algerie

England

Slovenia

USA

Group D

Australia

Germany

Ghana

Serbia

Group E

Cameroon

Denmark

Japan

Netherlands

Group F

Italy

New Zeeland

Paraguay

Slovakia

Group G

Brazil

Côte d'Ivoire

North Korea

Portugal

Group H

Chile

Honduras

Spain

Switzerland

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, England should win the group fairly comfortable. After that, they might face some problems though, as in the 1/8, they will face an opponent from Group D. Germany and Serbia are very tough opponents, Ghana as an African team might be difficult to cope with, and Australia would bring all that ex-colony love.

England does have a few problems right now. No good keeper, Rio is struggling with a back injury, and there are no guarantees he will be even 85-90% fit, Capellos idea that Heskey is the best partner for Rooney...(I maintain that Rooney should play with Defoe, a far more lethal combination).

Defoe is on fire right now, we'll see in six months time though.

Australia is certainly mixing it with some tricky teams. Germany first thing will be good for us, hopefully grind out a draw if we catch them slightly rusty. (slim chance I know)

Ghana and Serbia will be tough, but do-able. Ghana will out-muscle us, but if we play the posession game and break we can hopefully put a few on them. Serbia I don't know enough about, but I do know they arn't horrible.

If we make it through, then yeah it's either England or USA, both of which will make for good games. I would hate nothing more than to be booted from the WC by America though. That just dosn't seem right, somehow.

Serbia is one of Europes stronger teams, and beat France to the 1st spot in the group. So if they hit their max capacity, Australia does not stand a chance. Of course, Serbia has a bad habit of not playing very well once the tournaments start, which is what you will have to hope for.

Ghana is one of Africas best teams, I would say 2nd after Côte d'Ivoire, and will have an extra advantage of the tournament being played in Africa. This is the team I see joining Germany to make it out alive of the group.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really world cup, but a good look at the reserve's bench for the Australia team with tonights (1am :|) game against Kuwait for the Asian Champions League. Usually with these games Pim Verbeek calls up mostly the second tier players, ie Cahill, Kewell etc don't fly out. Gives the local A-League (the national aussie league) players a run out, with two local boys from my area hoping to make the team tonight.

I'll post a post-game wrap up so you all can go and talk to your national coaches about who to watch :P

...Man I love this game! :D

So tragic. 2010 was supposed to be the year Africa got to shine a bit, with the World Cup. Africa Cup was supposed to kick off the season nicely, and then something like this happens. I just hope all the injured players can get back to full fitness, and that the rest of the tournament can go on without incidents.

I am not too worried about the World Cup.

First of all, South Africa is not Angola. South Africa may have its problems, but it is a functioning state, whereas Angola is a dictatorship with rebels prepared to strike at more or less anything.

Second, this was not so much a strike deliberatly aimed at football, or the cup. Anyone travelling these roads are in great danger of being attacked by the rebels. There is a reason why every single other team travels by plane.

Third, during the World Cup, FIFA will help South Africa with the security.

I'd still feel better if it was back in Germany :P

I hear you. The problem is I guess is that you never know. Has it been stated by the group that this was a targeted attack or otherwise?

I think teams in SA are going to have to worry more about thier suitcases than thier lives, though. This whole thing just has me rattled! I'm potentially going to the event and I'm just chicken!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, Cappello has announced his squad...

David James, Portsmouth

Joe Hart, Manchester City

Robert Green, West Ham

Leigthon Baines, Everton

Jamie Carragher, Liverpool

Ashley Cole, Chelsea

Michael Dawson, Tottenham

Rio Ferdinand, Manchester United

Glen Johnson, Liverpool

Ledley King, Tottenham

John Terry, Chelsea

Matthew Upson, West Ham

Stephen Warnock, Aston Villa

Gareth Barry, Manchester City

Michael Carrick, Manchester United

Joe Cole, Chelsea

Steven Gerrard, Liverpool

Tom Huddlestone, Tottenham

Adam Johnson, Manchester City

Frank Lampard, Chelsea

Aaron Lennon, Tottenham

James Milner, Aston Villa

Scott Parker, West Ham

Theo Walcott, Arsenal

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent, Sunderland

Peter Crouch, Tottenham

Jermain Defoe, Tottenham

Emile Heskey, Aston Villa

Wayne Rooney, Manchester United

And from other squads...

Brazil: No Ronaldhino, no Pato.

France: No Benzema, no Nasri. Gignac somehow made it though.

Netherlands: No RVN

Italy: No Totti, No Toni.

Lots of big names dropped.

How is this possible?

Archived