DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Unnecessary characters...

Impressive Bosom

Now, let me preface this by saying I am in no way qualified to critique Robert Jordan or his mesmerizing ability to create and breathe life into an entire world, nor his ability as a story-teller...

...but as a fan, over the past few books especially (I'm about 1/3 of the way through tGS and taking my time), I've entertained the possibility that the books were kind of getting away from RJ. What I mean is they became so volumous because there was so much put in there that didn't seem germaine to the overall story and that is unfortunate because 1) it drew 'screen time' away from those that WERE important to the overall plot and 2) left a lot of loose ends that may have to be scrambled to be tied up.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss just who in Randland didn't really need to be there, who's story and subplot may not have been necessary at all - as well as those who might SEEM to be that way, but really aren't... especially considering that we don't all know the big picture yet.

A few people that come to mind as taking away from the story more than adding to it (to me at least) are:

Masema - did he ever really add anything to the plot that couldn't have been adequately handled by Darkfriends, Seanchan, Shaido, Trollocs or simple bandits?

Aram - tied in with with Masema. I thought in the beginning his subplot would give us some real insight into the Tinkers and offer a counter point to the Aiel view of their shared history... but then he kind of disappeared and was quite abruptly and uncermoniously done away with.

Alivia - sure, I really like the idea of her... but does she really offer anything that Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Moraine or any number of other female characters couldn't have done instead? We obviously won't know until things get tied up, but the fact that she was such a late addition to the party makes her seem unnecessary. Imagine if, instead, Min had seen that it was Cadsuane who would 'help him die' and Nynaeve with all her jewelry who had served as Rand's semi-bodyguard? That dynamic would have been fitting and fun to read.

Julin Sandar - I have to believe that Thom could have pretty much handled everything he did.

Slayer/Lord Luc - I think he was an interesting character, but with the threat of Whitecloaks AND Trollocs to Emond's Field combined with his ambiguous origin, purpose and allegiance... I never really 'got' him.

Now remember, this isn't a thread about how much we LIKE a character, but rather how unnecessary they might have been given the abilities and personalities of more 'core' characters. Nor is it neccessarily an argument against subplots... the Gaul, Chiad, Bain triangle certainly seems as if the books could have done without it, but I think its adds a perspective on the Aiel apart from Rand's and establishes their presence more firmly in the Wetlands as something other than simply those who oppose the Car'a'carn and those who do his bidding.

Anyway, I'm rambling... thoughts?

I often feel that way whever I came across another Whitecloak that was introduced. Their story never really interested me in the first place because I just found most of their POV's boring. But evertime I came to a chapter when yet another one was introduced to the series I'd always think "Are you kidding me? Another name to remember....ughhh" hah.

But I do agree with your Aram view. I thought the whole time he was gonna be awesome, here we have the story of a guy who doesn't believe in fighting and he quickly turns because of tragic happenings. I was very dissapointed to see him just be dispatched so quickly and currupted so easily by a man so obviously crazy anyone should see it.

A friend actually gave me a good argument for Luc/Isam's inclusion... for two reasons, primarily, the first being the historical context for him. He obviously wasn't just some add-on mid-chapter but had a very real place in the modern history that this story takes place in... and the second was as a device to further draw Perrin into the wolfdream and help us explore it through him...

Which then begs two questions - why not have Luc/Isam actually PLAY a role in the grander scheme of things rather than making a shadowy appearance for a while and then disappearing? And secondly... um, what happened to the wolfdream? Are we going to see it again? Will it also serve some future purpose of which we are unaware, apart from the aspect of dreamland everyone else is already using?

Masema - did he ever really add anything to the plot that couldn't have been adequately handled by Darkfriends, Seanchan, Shaido, Trollocs or simple bandits?

I like how he demonstrates the fact that well intended but misguided allies can be just as destructive to a cause as its avowed enemies.  Unlike these others Mesema is clearly on Rand's side, he is just going about it all wrong.

Aram - tied in with with Masema. I thought in the beginning his subplot would give us some real insight into the Tinkers and offer a counter point to the Aiel view of their shared history... but then he kind of disappeared and was quite abruptly and uncermoniously done away with.

I agree and I was very disappointed with how he turned out.  I thought not only that he would give us some insight into the Tinker way of life but that he would ultimately convince them that it is ok to at least defend yourself.  Because lets face it, The Way of the Leaf is stupid.

Alivia - sure, I really like the idea of her... but does she really offer anything that Nynaeve, Cadsuane, Moraine or any number of other female characters couldn't have done instead? We obviously won't know until things get tied up, but the fact that she was such a late addition to the party makes her seem unnecessary. Imagine if, instead, Min had seen that it was Cadsuane who would 'help him die' and Nynaeve with all her jewelry who had served as Rand's semi-bodyguard? That dynamic would have been fitting and fun to read.

I like the fact that a new and mysterious character is the one who is destined to help Rand die.   This leaves us completely guessing as to what her motivation for doing so might be. For all we know she is secretly still loyal to the Seanchan or is a Darkfriend.   I suppose Nyneave or Cadsuane's motivations would keep us guessing as well but there would be fewer possibilities.  Besides I think that Cadsuane has another role to play and Nyneave needs to remain someone whom Rand can trust completely.

Julin Sandar - I have to believe that Thom could have pretty much handled everything he did.

I agree, at this point he seems completely extraneous.  He really hasn't done anything interesting since he assisted Mat in rescuing the girls from the Stone of Tear.   RJ really should have come up with something better for him than Thom's sidekick, or else just left him as the guy who assisted Mat in TDR.   If he does have some relevant role to play later then he should have been handled similar to Hurin.   There has really been no reason to have him as a hanger on for 9 books.

Slayer/Lord Luc - I think he was an interesting character, but with the threat of Whitecloaks AND Trollocs to Emond's Field combined with his ambiguous origin, purpose and allegiance... I never really 'got' him.

Well, he's certainly a convenient plot device for eliminating  darkfriends who have outlived their usefulness, but I think his true relevance is still forthcoming.   Also there are some who theorize that Luc/Isam is a president for things to come for Rand/Moridin.

But I do agree with your Aram view. I thought the whole time he was gonna be awesome, here we have the story of a guy who doesn't believe in fighting and he quickly turns because of tragic happenings. I was very dissapointed to see him just be dispatched so quickly and currupted so easily by a man so obviously crazy anyone should see it.

Yes, his rather quick transition from hero worshiping Perrin to seeing him as public enemy #1 makes me wonder is compulsion was somehow part of the equation.   Certainly adds an element to the mystery of why those AS were also visiting Mesema's camp.

Good points all. I really thought/hoped that Aram would be the bridge between the Aiel and the Tinkers. Ah, well.

I thought that RJ did a great job with the Whitecloaks in creating 'villians' that were in no way associated with the DO, and instead had their villiany stem from their self-righteousness and the classic 'power corrupts' mantra. A good cautionary tale for Galad. Masema just seemed pointless.

It wasn't that long ago that Cadsuane was the 'new and mysterious one'. We seem to keep getting those. Characters steeped in the history of the realm (like Noal and the aforementioned Cadsuane) I can certainly appreciate, but Alivia? She seems like a one-dimensional character shoe-horned in as the newest 'most powerful female channeler'.

And I want to be clear for those reading this - its not that I have a problem with any of the wonderfuly inventive characters that RJ introduces... rather, I regret that we may be missing time we could be spending with CORE characters, exploring and learning more about them and enjoying all that we have already come to learn about those 40 or so individuals, rather than trying to keep up with another tangentally semi-relevant 100 more.

More Thom, more Nynaeve, more Cadsuane, More Lan and Aviendha and Min and Egwene and Siuan and Mat and Perrin and Tam and Abel and Elayne and Galad and Gawyn and Moraine and Padan Fain and Forsaken, etc. Less Masema and Julin.

I thought that RJ did a great job with the Whitecloaks in creating 'villians' that were in no way associated with the DO, and instead had their villiany stem from their self-righteousness and the classic 'power corrupts' mantra. A good cautionary tale for Galad. Masema just seemed pointless.

Good point about the Whitecloaks demonstrating the destructiveness of misguided good guys.  They certainly are more interesting than Mesema.  As best I can tell Mesema's only true purpose was a plot device to get Perrin over to Gheledian (sp).  Still Perrin has had his share of conflict with the Whitecloaks so I wonder if his post LOC plot line could have instead been and expansion on this.

It wasn't that long ago that Cadsuane was the 'new and mysterious one'. We seem to keep getting those. Characters steeped in the history of the realm (like Noal and the aforementioned Cadsuane) I can certainly appreciate, but Alivia? She seems like a one-dimensional character shoe-horned in as the newest 'most powerful female channeler'.

The funny thing about Cadsuane is that it seemed at first that she was a late addition to the story but as it has turned out she really isn't.  By the time we got to the part about someone helping Rand to die it was already clear that Cadsuane was on Rand's side.  With Alivia anything is possible.

I like how he demonstrates the fact that well intended but misguided allies can be just as destructive to a cause as its avowed enemies.  Unlike these others Mesema is clearly on Rand's side, he is just going about it all wrong.

I agree. And I would continue to agree, EXCEPT. WTF was Masema doing with that note from Suroth? WTF was he doing having the Shaido HELP kidnap Perrin's own soldiers? (I'm assuming that more than just Faile and company were made gaishain by Shaido and not all soldiers died resisting capture).

Aram - TOTAL disappointment. I thought he'd stick like Super Glue to Perrin.

Juilin Sandar HAD absolutely ZERO requirement to be mentioned. He came, he did, he failed miserably. He should have been forgoton. BUT. At the same time, looking forward in the books, he seems to have done a few things to help Nynaeve and Elane. Remember the Macura Incident. I doubt Thom alone would have been enough to save those two from Macura and that little weasel of a girl she had with her. Maybe he was just there to be the second working hand alongside Thom.

Luc/Isam plays quite an important role, I'd say. Historic significance, I agree. A common enemy linking Malkier and Andor. Though I fail to see the significance of the link.

I wonder if I should mention it, but I also see the uselessness of a "feeling". And that is Gaywn's arrogance and stupidity of believing rumours that Rand killed Morgase. It did nothing but make me dislike Gawyn. He is originally shown as a level headed man, but this move makes him look like a doofus.

Another stupid thing RJ shows is the simplicity of the method used to become a blademaster. We have Gawyn, Rand becoming Blademasters just like that. If dedicatted swordsmen could become Baldemasters like that, everyne would be Blademasters. And Aram! He almost can be considered as a Blademaster the way he is portrayed fighting. And that's not it - he dies doing the wrong thing.

What about Colavaere? She didnt really do anything, right? Except well, anger Rand a bit, take the throne for what, a week or a little more? Same goes for Toram Riatin and his sister - was it Ailil? Then there's that cursed Sea Folk girl running away with Merillile (or however her name is spelt). Though these weren't really important people.

And I want to be clear for those reading this - its not that I have a problem with any of the wonderfuly inventive characters that RJ introduces... rather, I regret that we may be missing time we could be spending with CORE characters, exploring and learning more about them and enjoying all that we have already come to learn about those 40 or so individuals, rather than trying to keep up with another tangentally semi-relevant 100 more.

While I do agree that the Whitecloaks are essential in creating the "Good villians", I just had a really hard time with the numorous characters within the Whitecloaks, some I just found useless characters who only served the purpose of filling a chapter. This again is my opinion. But you're right, the Whitecloaks as a group were done well by RJ. And while I love the fact that there are so many characters, sometimes I just get a headache trying to remember those who aren't in the main group. And as a person who is horrible with names to begin with, it's bothersome  ;)

I disagree, the entire series is about weaving and "the pattern", each character no matter how insignificant has servred their purpose, and in many cases small things they have done are over looked. I've always thought that RJ was a master craftesmen, if the smallest thread was to be removed the weave would unwind.

Aram, he knocks down Perrin in their fight and because of this, Perrin is missed by the arrows that would have killed him.

Julian- comes into possesion of Damane oufits for their escape, brings the former leader of an entire nation with them, and not to mention it was his "Figs and Mice" type comment of salt and something else that broke the women into telling them about the Aes Sedai.

Slayer- His party is still yet to come, but as the prophecy went the outcome of the Last Battle would be determined by him going to the blight.

All of these characters no matter how small add substance to the book and reinforces the idea of the patteren working for an end.

I disagree, the entire series is about weaving and "the pattern", each character no matter how insignificant has servred their purpose, and in many cases small things they have done are over looked. I've always thought that RJ was a master craftesmen, if the smallest thread was to be removed the weave would unwind.

Aram, he knocks down Perrin in their fight and because of this, Perrin is missed by the arrows that would have killed him.

Julian- comes into possesion of Damane oufits for their escape, brings the former leader of an entire nation with them, and not to mention it was his "Figs and Mice" type comment of salt and something else that broke the women into telling them about the Aes Sedai.

Slayer- His party is still yet to come, but as the prophecy went the outcome of the Last Battle would be determined by him going to the blight.

All of these characters no matter how small add substance to the book and reinforces the idea of the patteren working for an end.

True, but one could also argue that these events performed by these certian characters could have been filled by someone or something else. Did these events really need to happen? If RJ didn't even write about Perrin and the arrow would it even matter? Of course these are things that are only for the sake of argueing. It has been written, and it's done, hah  :P

Yes, but couldn't most of Juilin's roles have been fulfilled by any random member of The Band?  Or perhaps Vannin or Uno, I really like to see more of those two they are much more interesting and entertaining than Juilin ever was.   And Thom could have pulled off the Mice and Figs line.   Whatever the case, if WOT were "The Super Friends" then Juilin would be Robin (lol)

and what did ever happen to Uno anyway?  Is he with The Band?  The Salidar Army?  Rejoin the Borderland Army?  

To further refine the thread, let's set some criteria for so-called 'unnecessary characters'.

1) They don't have an established and significant history in Randland at the time of the first novel. People like Cadsuane, Slayer and even Lini have played important roles since long before Rand was born so a first appearance in a later book is more like Rand/us entering their world and not the other way around.

2) They don't serve a significant purpose integral to the story OR have a purpose that could just as easily have been filled by one of the 'core' characters (of which there are plenty). Not in their life and not in their death. A number of potentially 'major' characters have gone very quietly and in some cases very suddenly into that good night, rarely leaving a sense of resolution when they do.

3) They draw away a legitimate amount of attention from the overall plot or screen time from core characters, acting as filler rather than foundation. This criteria might keep people like Julin from being ousted because, while he hung around for 9 books and did very little, he tended to enhance the core characters rather than take away from them (the way Robin 'enhanced' Batman). Gaul/Chaid/Bain also would be saved, for instance, as would Olver - though has it been determined definitively that he is NOT Gaidal Cain?

I'll be honest - I think he could have halfed the number of 'active' Aes Sedai and still had more than enough for all the roles they served. For the gentleman who mentioned his difficulty in keeping up with the various Whitecloaks, I find the 'lesser' Aes Sedai even more of a headache at times. I'm also teetering on Sevanna, though someone would have had to rise up and 'lead' the Shaido after Couladin fell.

Who else might fit these criteria?

There are no "unnecessary" characters. What separates the WoT from other stories to me is the grandness of its scale. In your own life there are hundreds of people you see everyday. Some you know well, others are aquaintances and others are strangers. Even if you just rememebred the names of those you know and are aquainted with, I'm sure it would be an impressive list. It might be cumbersome, but the feel of the world of WoT would be constrained if side characters were not mentioned and used as often as they are.

I was personally afraid after reading the Mistborn trilogy that BS would turn the WoT into a narrowly focused universe and leave out all the details that make the story stand out and paint a picture in your mind. Happily, he has managed to maintain the feel of the series and that, in and of itself, I'm sure is a daunting task.

Some characters seem unnecessary and annoying at times but you have to see things on a grander scale. There are tons of characters that are introduced for just one POV. While this may seem unnecessary the point of them is to give insight to a place or part of the story that we would have no other way of knowing about. Most of the characters that seem useless are just very, very minor characters that are there only for one or a few specific reasons, or to show us something. As for some of the big characters that seem unnecessary the story is not quite over, and who knows what will happen before the end. The one I do agree on the most though would be Aram. He was first referenced to all the way back when Rand and crew were in the Mountains of Mist. It made it seem that he would be very important. He did though as has been said save Perrin's life and also helped a great deal in the Two Rivers, but still seemed to have his life ended abruptly. He did though give us insight into how messed up Masema was and what he was capable of. I mean he turned one of Perrin,s most loyal followers against him. And hey you never know there could still be something important that his character started that doesn't happen until the last two books.

Aram certainly seemed to be a case of build-up leading to very little promise in a rather abrubpt ending to the character.

Also for me the COUNTLESS descriptions of random Aes Sedai that are really not characters in the overall story, was probably the very first thing ever that began to tire me a bit.

Fish

There are no "unnecessary" characters. What separates the WoT from other stories to me is the grandness of its scale. In your own life there are hundreds of people you see everyday. Some you know well, others are aquaintances and others are strangers. Even if you just rememebred the names of those you know and are aquainted with, I'm sure it would be an impressive list. It might be cumbersome, but the feel of the world of WoT would be constrained if side characters were not mentioned and used as often as they are.

You kind of make my point for me. Yes, I encounter thousands of people over the course of my life... and if I were to tell the story of my life it would include a great many people, but it would include the hundreds who were most significant, not the thousands of acquaintances and strangers who were not. If I tried to include all of them, well the story would get so long and so complicated it would be difficult to follow and particularly difficult for listeners/readers to stay focused on what's important... i.e. books 7-11.

Aram certainly seemed to be a case of build-up leading to very little promise in a rather abrubpt ending to the character.

Also for me the COUNTLESS descriptions of random Aes Sedai that are really not characters in the overall story, was probably the very first thing ever that began to tire me a bit.

Fish

I actually thought it was very impressive, the ability to not only come up with so many names and physical descriptions, but quirks, bits of personal history and personality traits... but after a while it kind of becomes white noise I hate to say. Normally you assume that anyone who gets such exacting treatment is or will be important and try to file them away... but eventually they just all start spilling indiscriminantly out of your head.

You kind of make my point for me. Yes, I encounter thousands of people over the course of my life... and if I were to tell the story of my life it would include a great many people, but it would include the hundreds who were most significant, not the thousands of acquaintances and strangers who were not. If I tried to include all of them, well the story would get so long and so complicated it would be difficult to follow and particularly difficult for listeners/readers to stay focused on what's important... i.e. books 7-11.

But remember this isn't the story of one person's life it is the story of a whole world. This means that a lot more detail is necessary to get the complete picture that is the Wheel of Time. If you were to tell a story this huge about our world think how many thousands of people would need to be included.

True, but RJ could have kept the necessary amount of detail and still cut a lot of descriptions.  Especially from secondary characters.  If you had to include them I would have appreciated less wordy descriptions of what they look like.

I just don't see the need to know what every side/minor character is wearing and how much condensation is on the carafe of wine they are drinking from.  Don't get me wrong I'm awed by the level of description, but it DOES eventually fade to white noise.

Moreso when you are engrossed in the plot, but the plot doesn't move for hundreds of pages because of these descriptions.  It's not that they don't belong in the series, but toning down the overall number of PoVs and cutting back on the description would have made for an improved text in my opinion.

If you look at tGS that's the style Brandon used, and I love it.  There is more plot in that book than any since The Shadow Rising, and that's because he didn't spend nearly as much time on secondary characters or on descriptions.

ImpBo Said: I actually thought it was very impressive, the ability to not only come up with so many names and physical descriptions, but quirks, bits of personal history and personality traits... but after a while it kind of becomes white noise I hate to say. Normally you assume that anyone who gets such exacting treatment is or will be important and try to file them away... but eventually they just all start spilling indiscriminantly out of your head.

I agree with alot of that...the scope, the ability to personalize multitudes...all amazing ability, but, somewhere along the way, many of them started to blend together to me...especially the Aes Sedai and Aiel Maidens. The White Cloaks too - but too a much lesser extent.

I'll be honest, I still mix up Bair, Amys, Sulin and Sorielia all the time and I have a hard time distinguishing many differences between Toviene, Danell, Tarna, Beonon, Samitsu etc etc...

Joline was a bit different just because she seemed to have a bit of a crush on Mat, imo...

Fish

...but as a fan, over the past few books especially (I'm about 1/3 of the way through tGS and taking my time), I've entertained the possibility that the books were kind of getting away from RJ. What I mean is they became so volumous because there was so much put in there that didn't seem germaine to the overall story and that is unfortunate because 1) it drew 'screen time' away from those that WERE important to the overall plot and 2) left a lot of loose ends that may have to be scrambled to be tied up.
It should be noted that the most voluminous volumes - TSR, LoC, FoH - are three of the most praised (favourite book polls frequently turn into a contest between LoC and TSR), while PoD, the shortest book, was one of the most criticised. I'm not convinced that the books were getting away from RJ, just that he had a hell of a lot of subplots to move forwards. Most, if not all of those subplots need to be there. If they are there, you need to have characters in them, advance them, and so one. It takes up pages.

In FoH, Masema gives assistance to Nynaeve and Elayne. Would Darkfriends, Seanchan, Shaido, Trollocs or simple bandits have done the same? And Perrin being sent to pick up Masema was what led to Faile's capture. That led to Perrin forming an alliance with a Seanchan general, finishing off the Shaido, disposing of a singnificant amount of forkroot, and other things - we don't know what of that will be important later.

When he was introduced, Thom was elsewhere. Also, two heads can be better than one. RJ maybe though it would make more sense to have two guys going with Elayne and Nynaeve, rather than just Thom, so kept Juilin around because it was easier than inventing someone new.

Well, Slayer was the one who brought the Trollocs. That right there is a point to him. And he's also an assassin for the Shadow.

Now remember, this isn't a thread about how much we LIKE a character, but rather how unnecessary they might have been given the abilities and personalities of more 'core' characters.
The thing is, many of these minor characters do fulfill some role, or might have some job in the future (hence being kept around). Either way, they tend not to take up much screen time, so it's not as if they detract from the main cast. Alivia, as you say, might be important in the future, so we can't call her unnecessary yet.

I agree, at this point he seems completely extraneous. He really hasn't done anything interesting since he assisted Mat in rescuing the girls from the Stone of Tear. RJ really should have come up with something better for him than Thom's sidekick, or else just left him as the guy who assisted Mat in TDR. If he does have some relevant role to play later then he should have been handled similar to Hurin. There has really been no reason to have him as a hanger on for 9 books.
Well, bear in mind who he's been with. When he needs to play a role again, it might prove to have been easier to keep him with Mat than to have him show up somewhere, as Mat hasn't exactly been spending a lot of time in Tear.

I wonder if I should mention it, but I also see the uselessness of a "feeling". And that is Gaywn's arrogance and stupidity of believing rumours that Rand killed Morgase. It did nothing but make me dislike Gawyn. He is originally shown as a level headed man, but this move makes him look like a doofus.
But that's something that hasn't been resolved yet. Making him look like an idiot and it being useless are not the same.

Another stupid thing RJ shows is the simplicity of the method used to become a blademaster. We have Gawyn, Rand becoming Blademasters just like that. If dedicatted swordsmen could become Baldemasters like that, everyne would be Blademasters. And Aram! He almost can be considered as a Blademaster the way he is portrayed fighting. And that's not it - he dies doing the wrong thing.
To be a Blademaster, you have to kill a blademaster in single combat, or you have to have the unanimous agreement of five existing blademasters. Either way, I don't see how the way is open for everyone being a blademaster. You either have to be good enough to convince them you are one of them, or good enough to kill one - in which case, you've made a pretty good case for being as good as one of them.

What about Colavaere? She didnt really do anything, right? Except well, anger Rand a bit, take the throne for what, a week or a little more?
Well, the state of Cairhinein politics, is it really likely no-one would make a try for the throne? And it makes sense the AS would wan someone left in charge, and why not make sure it is someone already sympathetic to them?