DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

In All Fantasy - Which Characters Are The Deadliest With Their Trademark Weapon?

The Fisher King

The Three That Leap To MY Mind As The Most Obvious Candidates For The Top Of The List Would Be (IMO Only):

1 The Gunslinger (Roland Deschain) with his...well...guns.

2 Mat Cauthon with his Ashanderi

3 BladeMaster Lan Al Mandragoran with his....well...Blade.

Those are MY 3 - What are YOURS???

P.S. - In ASOIAF, It is made clear for awhile that Jamie Lannister's mythical reputation with his sword  may well be exaggerated...of course...we later find out (In The Whispering Wood) that it is not exaggerated at all. Love him or hate him, Jamie Lannister with two hands and a sword is a BAD -A$$!!!

One other I may think about......Arutha ConDoin with his Rapier...You Think???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I hate Sword of Truth, Richard Rahl is pretty deadly with that sword of his.

Steven Erikson has a lot of ridiculously good characters with their various weapons.

Other than that, I agree with Roland and Lan, and there's no lack of good soldiers in asoiaf.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your opinions and I certainly agree with you both about MULTIPLE characters in ASOIAF ... I wanted to avoid listing too many from the same series...but they (Like Ser Arthur Dayne) certainly apply...

Also, when it comes to KNIVES as a weapon...Thomdril Merrlin (The Grey Fox) probably applies as well...

I avoided also listing characters from more youth-oriented series that were a bit unrealistic (if the word 'unrealistic' can be applied to Fantasy lol) such as Belgariad and Mallorean with Lelldorin and his Bow. - But - I enjoy ALL opinions!

Fish

If you want a really good archer, Lightning Saker Micawater. A guy who can legitimately claim to be the best archer in the world for more than 1,000 years is damn good.

For a really great swordsman, try Uther Doul with his probability sword. Or Dassem Ultor.

Yep.  The Rhapsody series didn't live up to it, but I picked it up because the short story she put in Legends II was, bar none, the best in the book.  And considering the caliber of writer involved - Robin Hobb, Tad Williams, Robert Silverberg, George RR Martin, etc. - that's saying something.

Yep.  The Rhapsody series didn't live up to it, but I picked it up because the short story she put in Legends II was, bar none, the best in the book.  And considering the caliber of writer involved - Robin Hobb, Tad Williams, Robert Silverberg, George RR Martin, etc. - that's saying something.

Interesting. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, whether in anthologies or not, so I missed out on that.

When I read the Haydon trilogy years ago I was just learning to be a more critical reader as the protagonist began a downward slide into horrific Mary-Sueishness. I'm traumatised by the memory of Rhapsody walking through a magic fire to become even more perfectly perfect than she already was. And her incredible beauty causes traffic accidents! And she's a virgin again, because only virgins can be perfect and pure and innocent!

I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to pick up anything else Haydon wrote. Like with Sara Douglass (and perhaps even Robin Hobb, which makes me sad), I'm so burned that I don't want to risk the same disappointment again.

Although I do remember enjoying Achmed.

Or Dassem Ultor.

This is true, he is pretty ridiculous with the thing.
Then again, count the number of insanely good swordsmen in Malazan: Rake, Ruin, Mok, Tool, Dassem - there's really no shortage.

*1000* Yards??? ... Even in a Fantasy Series, thats pretty silly! :)

Also, im not familiar with the characters or series you are referencing.

Enlightenment would be appreciated.

The series is by Steph Swainston, the books are Year of Our War, No Present Like Time, the Modern World (the series itself doesn't have an official name). In the series, a race of giant, dimension-hopping insects is held at bay the actions of the Circle, a group of immortals, each chosen because they are the best at what they do. They have to accept challenges to prove that they are still the best. Saker Micawater became Lightning, the Circle's archer, when it was first formed. He hasn't lost the title. That means that he is the best archer in the world, and has been for centuries. Good books.

Karigan G'ladheon is a pretty good swordswoman from Kristen Britain's Green Rider Series. Especialy when aided by her ability to become invisible. However, I can't think of a time off the top of my head when she uses the sword when invisible.

One can't forget Joscelin Verreuil, consort of Phèdre nó Delaunay, from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series.

Mistake???

HuH???

Whacha Mean?????

(Im behind on Hobb)

I liked both trilogies but number three about the ocean people was VERY hard for me to ''get into'' ... i sorta gave up...

I bought a hardcover of Shaman's Crossing, the first book in her Soldier Son trilogy. Big mistake.

Yep.  The Rhapsody series didn't live up to it, but I picked it up because the short story she put in Legends II was, bar none, the best in the book.  And considering the caliber of writer involved - Robin Hobb, Tad Williams, Robert Silverberg, George RR Martin, etc. - that's saying something.

Interesting. I'm not a huge fan of short stories, whether in anthologies or not, so I missed out on that.

When I read the Haydon trilogy years ago I was just learning to be a more critical reader as the protagonist began a downward slide into horrific Mary-Sueishness. I'm traumatised by the memory of Rhapsody walking through a magic fire to become even more perfectly perfect than she already was. And her incredible beauty causes traffic accidents! And she's a virgin again, because only virgins can be perfect and pure and innocent!

1) Trust me. Read it - it's about the guards left behind on Serendair, by order of the king, to keep the peace among the people who refused to leave before the island was destroyed.  You start out knowing all the characters you come to like will die. 

2) Completely agree on Rhapsody

In the spirit of fun, and literary bad-assness, I'll throw in the following:

Drizzt Do'Urden - R.A. Salvatore - Bob ain't the greatest writer, but his character has won the hearts of millions. And is nigh unbeatable with his scimiatars.

Garet Jax - Terry Brooks - I know, but re-read The Wishsong of Shannara. GJ is a perfect machine.

Vlad Taltos - Stephen Brust - I still love love Jhereg and this character. Bad-ass meets wise-ass - unbeatable.

John Carter - Edgar Rice Burroughs - If this doesn't ring a bell, don't worry, Pixar is working on fixing that. In the mean time, pick up A Princess of Mars and find out where many of today's writers got their inspiration from. Plus, your'e dealing with the best swordsman of two worlds.

I'll post others as I think of them...

Archived