DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Game] Dragon Age: Origins

Segurant

So for the week of Thanksgiving, I bought Dragon Age for the Xbox 360.  I spent the first day playing the intros for the Mage and the Human Noble.  I decided to start with the Human Mage.

Now the reason I got this game was due to a comment my wife made about the game.  On her google reader, she mentioned that her Wheel of Time filter listed that Dragon Age was very Wheel of Time like.  So I got the game and in a way that person was correct.  You are massing an army to keep the Blight from spreading and taking over the land.  You fight the ArchDemon's hordes of demonspawn.  There is a character named Logain but it is spelled differently. And I have found the serpentlike ring devouring its own tail.  I have found a few more similarities but honestly the game takes from a lot for the fantasy genre like the description of the one ring.

For the most part, if you liked Mass Effect, then you'll like Dragon Age.  I admit that I was not a fan of Mass Effect, but I do like Dragon Age.  I won't give many spoilers well I'm still playing the game and I'm like 18% complete if the game info is correct.  So far I've put down 22 hours of gameplay on my Mage.

The game itself is pretty much a classic fantasy storyline.  "You have been recruited to defend the frontier from Xur and the Kodan Armada." Then there is the betrayal and you are the last of the Grey Wardens.  Word is spread that you are a traitor and killed the King, so as you proceed through the game you are trying to gather forces for the upcoming war at the same time fighting off bounty hunters.

I don't want to give up the whole story of the game, but I will after I am done.  I'll write up a full review of the game once I am done with more Wheel of Time references that I can find.

For more information on the game, you can visit the website here:  http://dragonage.bioware.com/

• Community Administrator

I've already beat it for the PC.

To me, it feels like bioware wanted to get out of the Forgotten Realms games, and start there own fantasy universe. It almost feels like a sequel to Neverwinter Nights 2. Only not as awesome. ;)

The game, plays ALOT like NWN2, the only difference is the gore, graphics, and the sex. Otherwise it shares many simularities with the NWN games that no one recalls anymore since mass errect. :P

I never played NWN2

It feels more like Mass Effect but without the long load times

NWN is based on the forgotten realm novels... Same world. (not as dragon age)

It uses a D20 system, (and technically so does DA: Origins, its just behind the scenes, where as NWN it was in your face.)

Both have numans, elves, dwarves, ect. NWN is just more fantasy than DA. (Orcs/Gnomes/Trolls/Ogres/ect)

Honestly, DA: Origins is about as much Dark Fantasy as Narnia. (The book, not the movie. :P)

Oddly, the only 'Moral' choice in the game that I thought was actually good/evil type choice, was as a Dwarf Noble when you find out you have a child. ;)

Everything else is simply perspective. Its not Evil, its just a difference of oppinion.

Apparently this game is all controversial because its got sex or something.

I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Course some people are saying MW2 is 'evil' for the terrorist scene..

When theres GTA games where I shoot up airports daily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived