DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

The Aiel thing could be it. What's up with the Trolloc attacks in the Waste. What's up with Seana's murder, why did Bair want the Wise One's to stay out of Rhuidean. Is there enough of something. One thing I did see in the new book, was Cadsuane's showing her stash to Sorilea and Bair right before the Shadow finding out about it.

(I will look on the Mat and ruby thing, but as I doubt it could be what should have been noticed, I do not hurry, I take a hobby, not professional approach :).)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we discussed the first time Egwene tries TAR alone and goes to Tanchico. There she finds a broken statue that seems to be like the CK key, but it's broken. She drops it and it shatters, then a moment later its back on the shelf.

Then she notices the upper half of a broken figurine lying in a cabinet, a woman with a serene face holding up a crystal sphere in one hand; it seems to call to her. Egwene picks it up. 

"As her hand grasped it, the Power surged within her, into the half figure then back into her, into the figure and back, in and back. The crystal sphere flickered in fitful, lurid flashes, and needles stabbed her brain with each flash. With a sob of agony, she loosed her hold and clasped both hands to her head."

Is there an "evil" version of the CK's out there?

No, I think that was just a busted access point.  So there might be other access points, but both of the Choedan Kal have bit the dust by now, so it wouldn't matter.

It's occurred to me to wonder, to what extent has the trouble in Shara been discussed?  I think that was originally brought up in the right time frame, and it seems to fit all the other criteria we have, a small hint at something that should obviously have a big impact down the road, it's brought up every now and then ever since it was first mentioned but never discussed or elaborated upon.  It's in the background enough that I wouldn't be shocked if nobody ever asked either of the writers about it.

One thing I did see in the new book, was Cadsuane's showing her stash to Sorilea and Bair right before the Shadow finding out about it.

True, but the other Aes Sedai all knew about Cadsuane's stash, and we already know Elza was Black Ajah.

i doubt it, quite strongly.  It would have had to of been built before the breaking, and someone would have likely known about it.  

...then again, lanfear did mention that there were only two male sa'angreal stronger than Calandor.  i suppose it could be another CK... maybe a TP sa'angreal, or something.  I don't know, but we shall see.

It's occurred to me to wonder, to what extent has the trouble in Shara been discussed?  I think that was originally brought up in the right time frame, and it seems to fit all the other criteria we have, a small hint at something that should obviously have a big impact down the road, it's brought up every now and then ever since it was first mentioned but never discussed or elaborated upon.  It's in the background enough that I wouldn't be shocked if nobody ever asked either of the writers about it

shara has been discussed quite thoroughly (NOW -- after BS said that) but i don't think we will see much from them.  It is too late to introduce an entirely new culture to the mix, when it took like... 8 books to get the seanchan, and like 4 or 5 to fully get the Aiel involved.  The main issue, then, is feasibility of introducing them now.  I dont think its very probable, but possibly plausible.

I seem to recall Lanfear mentioning/thinking about the broken access key that Egwene found.  She thought that there would be unfortunate consequences for any woman who tried to use it

I know that the access key Nynaeve used melted, did the actual statue melt as well? I feel like it did because all the people on the island committed suicide but I can't remember. I'm not at that point in my reread yet.

I know that the access key Nynaeve used melted, did the actual statue melt as well? I feel like it did because all the people on the island committed suicide but I can't remember. I'm not at that point in my reread yet.

It is destroyed.  Whether or not this is the cause of them all committing suicide, i'm not sure, but i'm fairly positive that now both CK have been destroyed.

shara has been discussed quite thoroughly (NOW -- after BS said that) but i don't think we will see much from them.  It is too late to introduce an entirely new culture to the mix, when it took like... 8 books to get the seanchan, and like 4 or 5 to fully get the Aiel involved.  The main issue, then, is feasibility of introducing them now.  I dont think its very probable, but possibly plausible.

I don't see them being introduced as a new culture to understand and figure out, but as a nation that's been so neglected it's been completely subverted by the shadow.  So, Rand and his pals ride into the blight, and suddenly a huge army on elephant-back shows up crossing the wastes.

They've been mentioned just enough for me to think they'll end up mattering in a way that makes Rand and everybody else who ignored them feel stupid.

assuming (based on these posts) that mention is made of being able to enter dreamville in the flesh,

and based on Slayer being a shadowpooper that regularly enters dreamville in the flesh,

why cant hordes of trollocs enter dreamville in the flesh, then re-enter Randland anywhere they would like?

Maybe this is the thing we overlooked that will come up big time in the last books?

why cant hordes of trollocs enter dreamville in the flesh, then re-enter Randland anywhere they would like?

Not impossible, but it seems like a pretty obvious work-around the whole Shadowspawn can't pass through gateways limitation... Why send Trollocs through Waygates when you could just send them through TAR?  My guess is crossing into TAR in the flesh is similar to crossing a gateway, meaning any Shadowspawn going through would die. 

I just thought of this and I haven't had the time to read all the posts on this thread or on the whole board.  Forgive me if this has already been brought up.

My thought was about the Tinkers and the song that they speak of.  We know that the Tinkers are searching for a song, everytime they appear we always hear about the search for the song.  We know that the Aiel used to follow the way of the leaf, i.e. used to be Tinker like in conducting themselves.  We know that the Aiel don't sing, I think that this has been brought up severla times, unless they are going to battle.  Which is completely opposite Tinkers, who sing all the time and never go into battle.  If I remember correctly in one of the flashbacks that Rand experienced in Rhuidien (sp?)there was some mention of Aiel and Ogier singing.  Through that we know that Aiel used to sing, prior to the breaking.  Perhaps there is some sort of interplay going on between the Tinker's looking for a song and the current variety of Aiel not singing.  Maybe the Aiel know of a song that they don't sing and because they abhor Tinkers they have never shared it with them.  Maybe this song somehow helps chora trees grow.  Maybe the Aiel were supposed to do more than watch the angreal's but to also care for the tree in Rhuidian as well.

Tinkers have been around since book 1 but the Aiel didn't really get introduced until book 4 and then were fleshed out in books 4, 5, and 6.  This might fall right into the wheelhouse for big unnoticed thing.

Even assuming a T'A'R portal doesn't kill them and they can enter those dumb buggers would just get confused as hell and accidentally teleport themselves around everywhere.

Hi.

I've seen a lot of mentions of the Tinkers, and Rhuidean, but the only connection I've seen drawn between them was that the cache of *-angreal the early Aiel-Tinkers were carrying is the one that ended up at Rhuidean.

Since the city is now open, it is possible for a TINKER to enter the glass columns and see their history. Lots of people have suggested that Rand, or Aviendha, might bring the song back to them. Couldn't they, now, find it themselves this way?

BS mentioned in a recent interview that any Aiel could use the glass columns now, but that any non-Aiel would simply walk through them and have nothing happen. They seem to be linked to Aiel bloodlines, not just any bloodlines. Depending on how this was done, anyway, it seems like it could apply to Tinkers.

This seems like the sort of potentially big (and, so far as I can tell, not-yet-noticed) detail that BS was talking about.

(On the other hand, the Tinkers have intermarried with others to the point that they don't look distinctly Aiel anymore. Maybe there's not any Aiel blood left in many or most of them.)

What about the fact that both Mat and Rand entered the twisted doorway.  Moiraine seemed freaked out by that, and said something about the pattern ripping (perhaps someone can dig up the exact quotes).

The ter'angreal has been relevant throughout books since then, as well as the prophecies that were given.  Maybe it's a question of how the pattern was affected by both mat and rand entering at the same time, maybe resulting in a false prophecy being given...or something....

Besides, with Moiraine coming back into the series the TOM, it could result in big news along the lines of "this is what happens when you act like an idiot" and also fulfilling Min's prophecy that Moiraine is critical to the lights success.

Something that fits with what Brandon said (unspecified time, "little," largely unremarked) is how Rand started making new, more just laws in the lands he starts conquering.  This starts in 4, when Mat's gambling buddies comment on how they see this as unfair, and goes through the others.

I could see this increase in order and justice being what holds back the Dark One's unravelling-by-Chaos.  Also, this fits with some stuff hinted at in tGS.

could the thing be the weaknesses of the three oaths?

i was re-reading fires of heaven and asmodean mentioned something like "one of the thousands weaknesses of the oaths" and we certainly see a lot about the oaths in book 6 where there is a lot about the Tower and the rebel aes sedai.

Do trollocs dream?  My guess is that you would have to be a creature capable of dreaming to enter.

Trollocs dream, but Fades don't.

So Trollocs have no leadership in TAR without forsaken babysitters, and all disappear to do happy things instead of be constantly pushed into getting chopped apart.

I believe that it was between books 4 and 6 that we got our first descriptions on how Travelling was accomplished with Saidin and Saidar ( I may be wrong, I do not have the books with me). Depending on if the weave is woven with Saidin or Saidar, Travelling either punches a hole from one point in the pattern to another or temporarily merges two spots to create an opening.

I could be way off target on this, but other than Balefire, I cant really recall any other weaves that tend to do their work by manipulating the pattern itself. It may be possible that variations on the Travelling weave, using both Saidin and Saidar, could in essence "sew" the pattern around the bore back together if used in the right way. I'm not entirely sure what would be used as the metaphorical string, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Archived