DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Curry

cosmicpanda

So, recipes, please.

I figured I'd ask here since it might not fit in on the Ask the Staff board but Claire checks this place too and she seems to like answering questions. Asking the Chosen takes too long and if I asked at Shayol Ghul I'd be told to make a curry with five tablespoons of fresh chopped chilli and nothing else.

*waits*

how about adding some panda meat?

Burn!

There's a lot of different kinds of curry, Pandy.  I'm a fan of Thai curry myself, which can often use coconut milk to moderate the spiciness, which makes my tongue happier. Here's a pretty standard recipe for a Thai curry:

Thai Red Curry Chicken

Ingredients:

*  150ml thick coconut milk, squeezed from 1 grated coconut  (grate the meat and press it between a couple pieces of cheese cloth)

* 250ml thin coconut milk (kind that comes in cans at the store)

* 1kg chicken, chopped into fairly big pieces  (feel free to substitute a fuzzy and cute mammal of your choice)

* 2 red chilies, halved and seeded

* 2 green chilies, halved and seeded

* 10 basil leaves

* 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, crushed and torn

Red Curry Paste (combine and ground till fine)

* 4 shallots

* 3 cloves garlic

* 1 tablespoon coriander powder

* 2cm slice galangal (sorta like ginger, you can substitute ginger if you HAVE to)

* 2 tablespoons thinly sliced lemon grass

* 1 teaspoon grated rind of kaffir lime

* 1 teaspoon belacan stock granules (belacan paste will work too--this is essentially shrimp paste with belacan chiles in it)

* 3 tablespoons chili paste

* 2 coriander roots (use the root part only)

* 1 teaspoon ground white pepper

Seasoning

* 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nampla)

* 2 tablespoons palm sugar

What to do with all this stuff:

1.  Put chicken and thin coconut milk into a saucepan. Cook over a moderate heat until meat is just tender.

2. Heat the thick coconut milk until just warm (about 4-5 minutes). Add red curry paste and stir-fry until fragrant and mixture turns bubbly and oil is seen rising to the top.

3. Put the cooked chicken into the curry paste mixture. Stir in seasoning, red and green chilies and kaffir lime leaves. Cook until gravy turns thick.

4. Dish out and serve garnished with basil leaves.

End result=YUM!  Serves 4-6.

Thanks a lot pandy, now I want curry for dinner and haven't got any of the stuff in the house to make one. :P

I like to make a Spicy Lamb Curry:

1tsp cumin seeds

1tsp coriander seeds

2tbsp vegetable oil (you can substitute olive oil if you want)

1kg lamb, cubed

1 onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic

grated ginger

2tsp medium curry powder

500g apple chutney (optional)

water

250g butternut squash, peeled and cubed

salt & pepper

1. Heat oil and brown meat

2. Heat oil in a seperate pan and add garlic, onion, cumin, coriander and curry powder. Cook 4-5 mins.

3. Add curry and spice mix to the pan with the meat.

4. Add butternut squash and chutney if desired.

5. Add water to cover. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

I think this serves 2-3. Goes lovely with a slice of bread. ;D

yellow curry tastes great with chicken recipies :)  like if your doing fried chicken, or chicken breast over rice.  if you can see the child boards, you should check out th electure hall, there is a cooking class going on and chicken was last week :)

the good thing about yellow curry is that it's not really spicy like the red, and it adds a wonderful flavor.

this is what i'm having for dinner tonight

Mushroom Chicken over rice

- 4 boneless chicken breasts

- 3 cups of chicken stock (you might want to have more on hand, ths tends to cook down rather fast without a top on the skillet)

- 1 can (drained) mushroom peices

- 1 10" skillet with top

- 4 tbs of cooking oil (i use veggie oil)

- small mixing bowl

- rice

- meduim pot

- 1 tbs of startch

- 2 tbs of water

- spices: thyme, pepper, lemon pepper, yellow curry, rosemary, basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder (all spiced to taste, though be careful with garlic and onion, since these are rather powerful spices)

- thaw your breasts and rub/massage the spices listed above into each breast. best way to spice the breasts is to sprinkle a light even coating on each breast.

- set breasts aside and wash your hands

- put skillet on the stove and turn on meduim/high heat (my stove has numbers i use the "7" setting)

- put the oil in the skillet and get and even coating; add mushrooms and sautee until nice brown coating, stirring/flipping often.

- after mushrooms are suteed, add 2 cups of chicken broth and chicken breast.  cover and let cook between 7-10 mins.

- after 7-10 mins, uncover and flip chicken breasts, add remaining cup of chicken broth  

- replace cover and cook for another 7-10 mins

- in small mixing bowl, add starch and water together and mix well.  

- after 7-10mins is up, uncover and stir into chicken broth to thicken into a thin sauce/glaze.

- in your medium pot, prepare rice as directed on box.  this recipie makes 4 servings; i use 2 cups rice/4 cups water

serve when chicken is done, either each breast reading at 160 or when the juices from chicken run clear after being cut at thickest part.  i tend to over cook my chicken because i'm not all that good at cooking it and i don't want to get sick.

note: chicken broth evaporates rather quickly.  keep a can of cream of chicken on hand to either thicken the sauce and make it nice and creamy or to substitute for the chicken broth.

I often use this as a very easy way to make a great sauce.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large onion 

2-4 cloves garlic 

4-6 whole red chilis

1 teaspoons cardamon 

1 teaspoon ground cumin seed

1 teaspoon ground coriander seed

½-1 teaspoon dry ginger powder

1 teaspoon turmeric

½ teaspoon concentrated tomato puree

pinch of salt.

Use a wok pan!

Heat the oil over a highish heat and add the onions.

Stir fry for a few minutes,  add the chilis and cardamons and fry for a few more minutes until the chilis are noticalby larger.

Add the garlic, stir, turn the heat down to low and cook for 10 minutes (or longer if you've got the time).

Add the cumin, coriander, ginger and turmeric and leave to fry over a low heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally

Add about 3 dl hot water, the tomato puree and the salt and leave to simmer for 30ish minutes. If necessary, add more hot water, about ½ dl now and then.

Have fried seafood or tofu prepared, and add to the sauce when it has about 10ish minutes left to simmer.

Serve with rice (duh) and warm naan bread. And red wine, preferably from a warmer region, as you want a simple but rich wine, rather than the more complex ones.

Curry is caa-caa. (that is child language for YUCKY!!!)

>:D

I'm wondering if I'm the only Dark Tower fan who immediately saw this and thought "Ka? Sounds like kaka to me."

/geek

Don't feel bad, I envisioned Eddie as well...........

Never even heard of curry.......

Interesting...recipe swapping?

I can supply the following general areas:

Baked goods (Pies, cakes, cookies, candies, etc...) from many places around the world.

Mexican Foods and Salsas

German Foods.

Some other various recipes too, such as pastas, grilled foods, etc.

Holler if needed.  :)

Archived