DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

M'Hael

TheMasterDude

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I refuse to ruin my memories of Enders Game by reading sequels or any of that crap.

Also, I figured that Locke got his name from Final Fantasy. It would have been to much to ask that he'd gotten the name from folklore or mythology... Couldn't have been from Navajo folklore or Norse mythology (which is where the name Locke originated for Final Fantasy)

The name was SUPPOSED to be Loki, but was changed to Locke. Is it any surprise that the thief of Final Fantasy was modeled after the Norse trickster God? I think not.

Enjoy the little bit of knowledge there folks.

Also, I encourage you to look further into Norse mythology. Some awesome stuff there. Packed full of blood and war and Thor cracking heads with that hammer of his.

Fun Fact on the Norse Gods:

After engineering the death of Baldr, Loki is banished and bound to a rock with the innards of his own son, Nari, and a poisonous snake is fastened over his face. The poison causes him to writhe with such pain as to shake the very earth, resulting in what we know as earthquakes  :D

Also, Fenrir, or Fenris (Fenrisúlfr to be more accurate) the Wolf God, is actually Loki's son, which most people are unaware of. Fenrir is also said to be the one who will kill Odin during Ragnarök, but will in turn be struck down by Odin's son Víðarr.

Also, The horse which Odin rides? Sleipnir? The eight-legged horse? Loki, as a shape-shifter, had been in the guise of a mare to lure off a giant's horse. Wanting to experience motherhood, he mated with said horse and gave birth to Sleipnir, which he gave as a gift to Odin.

Also, Odin's guise as "The Wanderer" was the inspiration for Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

This is a drawing of "Odin, the Wanderer" (1886) by Georg von Rosen. Note the distinct Gandalf-ness

409px-Georg_von_Rosen_-_Oden_som_vandringsman%2C_1886_%28Odin%2C_the_Wanderer%29.jpg

Now then, back to Loki, bound to a rock by his son's innards.

It is said that when Loki finally slips his bonds, it will herald the beginning of Ragnarök, and that Loki will lead the armies of the dead in that conflict, however doomed it may be, as Ragnarök is supposed to be the death of all the Gods.

So! Hope you all enjoyed a bit of mythology! If you are interested in learning more, there are many books available to you. The book "Norse Mythology: A Guide to Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs " is a good starting place for those interested. I also suggest reading "The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology".

Have they taught you the point in US history where the US tried to invade Canada and we pushed them all the way back to Washington and burnt down the whitehouse?

They tend to gloss over that little fact in history lol

Vanion you forgot something, Loki's wife or equivalent put a bowl under the snake to catch the venom and it dripped on loki when she had to empty it.

Also Jorgamund which would kill thor in ragnarok was an offspring of loki as well as hel who ruled the norse underworld.

And Loki lured off sleipnir's other parent so that odin wouldn't have to pay a frost gaint that had a bet with.

Archived