DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What characters wouldnt you mind if they died?

Ziggdiezan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the powerpuff girls, so I wouldn't want them to die. Their characters are funny and interesting.

But please, kill off Perrin and Faile. They make me want to piss my pants and then eat little babies and howl at the moon.

Oh, and.. Alviarin I support. Or else give her a fate like Galina's.

Has anyone ever considered whether Robert Jordan dislikes women because most of his female characters are annoying to the max.

I actually got the opposite impression. Every fantasy book I ever read has females that annoy me, Wheel of Time doesnt feel like that to me so much. Its the first story I ever read that made me be waiting for more if Im honest. That might make me sound sexist, but its just very very few female characters I have found likeable. Kitiara from Dragonlance was alright, and Cara from Sword of Truth is actually brilliant *erects forcefield* Those two are the only ones I remember liking. But in Wheel of Time there is Moiraine, Verin, Cadsuane, Aviendha, Nynaeve, Lanfear, Semirhage... Aviendha is my favorite female warrior ever, because she makes it believable. The only others I have ever read about are very cocky about it, ALL OF THEM, but Aviendha actually thinks to herself that she finds that resolving matters physically rather than through talking easier, and it is believable because she is the Maiden turning into a Wise One.

I agree. I have always gotten the impression that RJ is very fond of women, even WITH all their human frailties and misgivings... and shows his respect for them by giving us thier POV in a very realistic (rather than idealistic) way.  I would even argue that most of his female characters have more depth than many of his male characters, who's personas seem to be repeatedly centered on how good a fighter/general they are and how little they understand women. That greater depth means more vulnerability, more imprefections, but it is a sign of fondness and respect in my opinion.

Has anyone ever considered whether Robert Jordan dislikes women because most of his female characters are annoying to the max.

I actually got the opposite impression. Every fantasy book I ever read has females that annoy me, Wheel of Time doesnt feel like that to me so much. Its the first story I ever read that made me be waiting for more if Im honest. That might make me sound sexist, but its just very very few female characters I have found likeable. Kitiara from Dragonlance was alright, and Cara from Sword of Truth is actually brilliant *erects forcefield* Those two are the only ones I remember liking. But in Wheel of Time there is Moiraine, Verin, Cadsuane, Aviendha, Nynaeve, Lanfear, Semirhage... Aviendha is my favorite female warrior ever, because she makes it believable. The only others I have ever read about are very cocky about it, ALL OF THEM, but Aviendha actually thinks to herself that she finds that resolving matters physically rather than through talking easier, and it is believable because she is the Maiden turning into a Wise One.

I agree. I have always gotten the impression that RJ is very fond of women, even WITH all their human frailties and misgivings... and shows his respect for them by giving us thier POV in a very realistic (rather than idealistic) way.  I would even argue that most of his female characters have more depth than many of his male characters, who's personas seem to be repeatedly centered on how good a fighter/general they are and how little they understand women. That greater depth means more vulnerability, more imprefections, but it is a sign of fondness and respect in my opinion.

Some good points in there. I like how at first Aviendha just seemed like one of Rands loves but actually became a developping character. I understand what you mean about the men and their roles being centered around either fighting or power, and I definitely find that the way RJ involved his women in it all to be brilliant. You know, I have never read or seen anything with so many possible good female battle lineups, I have NEVER looked forward to female encounters like I do in Wheel of Time. Even though I generally dislike Egwene I cant help thinking my opinion is about to change. Cant really say why here though

Why hasnt anyone speculated on Moiraine killing Cyndane yet?

Some good points in there. I like how at first Aviendha just seemed like one of Rands loves but actually became a developping character. I understand what you mean about the men and their roles being centered around either fighting or power, and I definitely find that the way RJ involved his women in it all to be brilliant. You know, I have never read or seen anything with so many possible good female battle lineups, I have NEVER looked forward to female encounters like I do in Wheel of Time. Even though I generally dislike Egwene I cant help thinking my opinion is about to change. Cant really say why here though

Egwene is and has been one of my most favorite female characters... I'm only 100 pages or so into the newest book, but I've had that opinion ever since book four or so. Won't call her Eg-WAYNE, though.

As for Moraine, I'm trying to stay away from any speculation about her at all until she reappears in the books... I kind of got a little thing for Moraine and took it hard when she 'died'.  >:(

The thing I've always struggled with when it comes to Aviendha (whom I also really like) is where exactly her 'love' for Rand Al'Thor came from. Apart from the fact that it is supposedly destined to be, there absolutely nothing about their interaction or about their personalities that would seem to inspire such emotion from the start. Of all of his (RJ's) relationaships, I think that the one between she and Rand is the most forced and the most contrived.

Egwene is and has been one of my most favorite female characters... I'm only 100 pages or so into the newest book, but I've had that opinion ever since book four or so. Won't call her Eg-WAYNE, though.

As for Moraine, I'm trying to stay away from any speculation about her at all until she reappears in the books... I kind of got a little thing for Moraine and took it hard when she 'died'.  >:(

The thing I've always struggled with when it comes to Aviendha (whom I also really like) is where exactly her 'love' for Rand Al'Thor came from. Apart from the fact that it is supposedly destined to be, there absolutely nothing about their interaction or about their personalities that would seem to inspire such emotion from the start. Of all of his (RJ's) relationaships, I think that the one between she and Rand is the most forced and the most contrived.

Did you not get the feeling that it was forced upon her by the Wise Ones? That because she was forced to spend so much time with him, she couldnt help falling in love with him? I got the impression at first that it was the sort of "cant live with, cant live without" things for her. He continually annoys her with his ignorance and repeatedly shames her, yet when he isnt there she cant stop thinking about him.

Still, I know what you mean.

I really would love to see Mr. Fain(Sp?) kick the bucket. I think he is a great character in terms of actually hating his guts. I really would like to see him get what he deserves hah.

To hit on the whole subject of Jordan liking/disliking women. I believe he holds a great respect for them, since the series is pretty much filled with head strong, capable, kick-butt women. I do however find it funny that most women in TWOT series seems to have a rather large bust lol. I love the way he makes the women of the White Tower VERY pompus, especially women like Cadsuane, don't get me wrong I love thier characters, but it really makes me want someone to put them in their place hah. I think they need to be humbled, they have a great power, and they seem to use it to bully people around a lot.

Then women like Egwene I just think are awesome. I love how she is in the last few books, VERY strong, never gives up and even though she has weaknesses, she just keeps her head up and fights for what she knows is right. I definitly hold a new respect for her after the last few books.

- Oh and by the way, this is my first post here. I've been viewing the boards for a while now, and I look forward to being a part of this awesome community.

If your looking for an informative, well researched and factual post, correct grammar, speelings, or even a post on topic, MOVE ON NOW.

In reference to putting the pompous AS in their places, and/or taking people down a peg or five, and all the other analogies people use to express their opinion that big-headed characters deserve punishment: what?!? I never understood this. I mean, take galina. When she was doing her black ajah thang while also keeping up the snooty AS heirs, i was infuriated by her character. Well thats an exaggeration, but it does well for general AS feeling.

Then, when she got 'put in her place' finally, and disappeared from the story, i hated her guts for reacting in her head that way, and also wanted to beat the wise one's holding the leash. I dislike it when obviously intelligent people become totally irrational (unless RJ is trying to express the strength of their distress with all those lines from the 'defeated' person in question, in which case there would be a much better way to do it. Suggestive adjectives, connotations of synonyms...?), and simply loose all thought(this goes for when several women 'go calf eyed'/'melt in his arms'). But thats not the main point. :D

The main point is that clearly intelligent people are ALWAYS trying to get ahead, mixing subterfuge with capitalism (game of houses), and spend more time turning people against them and asserting their authority, instead of getting the task set out for them accomplished.

All of the red ajah's little group excursions (i have not read tGS) are perfect, annoying examples of this.

Basically, i don't like most background characters, one or two supporting cast, and several main. For the reasons ranted upon above. :D :L

If your looking for an informative, well researched and factual post, correct grammar, speelings, or even a post on topic, MOVE ON NOW.

In reference to putting the pompous AS in their places, and/or taking people down a peg or five, and all the other analogies people use to express their opinion that big-headed characters deserve punishment: what?!? I never understood this. I mean, take galina. When she was doing her black ajah thang while also keeping up the snooty AS heirs, i was infuriated by her character. Well thats an exaggeration, but it does well for general AS feeling.

Then, when she got 'put in her place' finally, and disappeared from the story, i hated her guts for reacting in her head that way, and also wanted to beat the wise one's holding the leash. I dislike it when obviously intelligent people become totally irrational (unless RJ is trying to express the strength of their distress with all those lines from the 'defeated' person in question, in which case there would be a much better way to do it. Suggestive adjectives, connotations of synonyms...?), and simply loose all thought(this goes for when several women 'go calf eyed'/'melt in his arms'). But thats not the main point. :D

The main point is that clearly intelligent people are ALWAYS trying to get ahead, mixing subterfuge with capitalism (game of houses), and spend more time turning people against them and asserting their authority, instead of getting the task set out for them accomplished.

All of the red ajah's little group excursions (i have not read tGS) are perfect, annoying examples of this.

Now, when people talk about taking them down pegs, i think about why they don't just cop on, and use their heads. Most are extremely intelligent (as we see from sly planning etc) but crumble under pressure, and use their (perceived) power or intelligence to get one up on someone else, or just plain torture them(wise ones over galina). Imagine a world where every character in the book had the mindsets of cadsuane, lan, perrin (pre marriage), thom, moraine(sp), or even elayne? What a world that would be...:)

Basically, i don't like most background characters, one or two supporting cast, and several main. For the reasons ranted upon above. :D :L

Elayne for sure, I hate her POV. She's got serious respect issues. Has anyone ever considered whether Robert Jordan dislikes women because most of his female characters are annoying to the max.

I'm sure many have thought the same thing. It crosses my mind oh, about 50 times each novel.  It's the one thing that nearly drove me from the series.

I'd send Egwene, Gawyn, Cadsuane, and possibly Elayne on their ways. 

Why would anyone drop Min? She's the only character who looks out for Rand's interests first and foremost.  Nyn, as annoying as she is, also looks out for Rand.  That little bit of humanity is all that's kept the dude alive in the last few novels.  Well, that and the promise of another bestseller :)

Archived