DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aelfinn and Eelfinn

Wingendosering

Do we have any textual evidence as to what all of the characters asked the Eelfinn Aelfinn for? (Eelfinn are foxes right?  Can never remember...)

Anywho, Rand, Moiraine, and Mat we know went into the three questions, three answers one (snakes).  Mat's we know, obviously...do we have any info on the others?

My guesses are:

Rand

1.  How can Saidin be cleansed?

2.  How can I prevent a war?

3.  ?  Possibly, should I go back to the Two Rivers? (not going seemed to be his own idea, but I couldn't think of a third)

Moiraine

1.  What should I do to accomplish my goals?

2.  How can I force the Dragon Reborn to move?

3.  Again, can't really think of a third one

Now for the foxes...again we know mat's.  What are Moiraine and/or Lanfears?  I figure at least one of them had to get three wishes.  NOTE:  I am not turning this into an Asmodean thread! :P

Lanfear

1.  Stop Moiraine from leaving

2.  Kill Asmo...possibly

3.  Give me another chance to make Lews Therin mine (hence Cyndane being named 'Last Chance')

Again, Moiraine's I have NO idea about.  Are there any really strange things that happen that could have originated from a request of hers?

Moiraine's questions are unknown.

Rand asked:

1. Unknown

2. How do I cleanse the taint from saidin?

3. How can I win the LB and survive? (The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. To live, you must die)

Mat asked:

1. Should I go home to help my people?

2. Why should I? (about going to Rhuidean)

3. Why will I die if I do not go to Rhuidean?

4. What fate are you talking about? What fate?

Moiraine

1.  What should I do to accomplish my goals?

2.  How can I force the Dragon Reborn to move?

3.  Again, can't really think of a third one

I think it's important to ask very specific questions. Otherwise I think the answer would be hard to decipher into something useful. I've got no idea what she might have asked. It will be interesting to find out, if it's ever revealed.

This page tells the known questions and answers::

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/prophecies/aelfinn.html

The questions Moiraine asked and the answers she received, there might be a chance that those would be told during and/or after her rescue scene.

One question might have been 'What should I do about Thom?' and the answer might have been 'Send him to Tanchico'.

Since Moiraine and Lanfear entered with fire (against rules in world of the Aelfinn & Eelfinn), it seems that neither of them were allowed to make requests.  Becoming imprisoned seems to be the punishment for that.

One or both races probably give their prisoners food and drink, since Moiraine likely could not survive to now any other way.  Lanfear probably starved herself.

• Community Administrator

I agree with you mb that Moiraine and Lanfear were probably not given a chance to ask requests, however I differ on the reason.

Moiraine said the questions related to the Shadow are punished by death.  The Finns need to know that Lanfear is a member of the Shadow.  I think Moiraine appearing with Lanfear is enough to ensure Moiraine isn't granted wishes.  And I think Lanfear being Lanfear is enough to get her killed and her skin made into an Eelfinn's shirt.

~Mashiara

I agree with you mb that Moiraine and Lanfear were probably not given a chance to ask requests, however I differ on the reason.

Moiraine said the questions related to the Shadow are punished by death.  The Finns need to know that Lanfear is a member of the Shadow.  I think Moiraine appearing with Lanfear is enough to ensure Moiraine isn't granted wishes.  And I think Lanfear being Lanfear is enough to get her killed and her skin made into an Eelfinn's shirt.

~Mashiara

Exactly...  The 'Fins will know full well that Moiraine was using them to dispose of an enemy, one about as closely tied to the shadow as you can get.  Not to mention the fact that they distroyed one of the three (known) entrances to their realm.  They would be none too happy with either of them, and IMO, very unlikely do give them any answers or wishes.  The 'fins are not geenies, bound to grant 3 wishes, they bargin and exchange goods for emotional payment.  Neither Moiraine nor Lanfear recieved anything positive out of ther trip to Finland.

I tend to think that questions asked surrounding the Shadow arn't taboo because the Finn's don't like the shadow, more that the shadow is incredibly difficult to pin down to prophecy.

The DO's entire mission is to destroy the pattern, and he has it frayed around the edges a little. All his power is mostly contained OUTSIDE of the pattern, he only reaches the world through the Bore. Therefore, the Finn's inability to read the pattern concerning the DO is because most of his thoughts and actions are OUTSIDE of the pattern. The Finn's can easily read the threads of the Light players because they are all about fighting FOR the pattern, and thier lives are wholly contained within it. Players for the DO, whom receive thier orders from the DO, are dabbling thier threads a little outside the pattern. I hope that makes sense?

I remember something like the Finn's are so alien to our morals and drives that they could be considered evil. I read that as thier motivations are so wildly different to anything in Randland that both the Light and the Dark consider the Finn's against them (well maybe not against, but definately not 'with them'). The Finn's seem to have thier own goal, irrespective of anyone, be they light or dark.

Anyway, just my take! I'm so keen to find out what happened to Moiraine...

One of Moiraine's questions may well have been 'How do I ensure the Dragon Reborn reaches/wins the Last Battle?'. Their answer is even more of a guess but if she did indeed ask this, they may have said, 'You must not follow him always but see your future' (So she knew about Lanfear) or something to that effect. I think this because when she is talking to the Wise Ones, in every Dream they had, it was Moraine who brought up the subject of going to Rhuidean. Without the question and answer i've stated, she may well have brought it up first, but instead, she decided specificly not to follow him, but went to R to see her future. We also know that the land of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn doesn't interact with the WoD as the rest of the world does and so it seems possible that the predictions in Dreams can't utalise any change in actions due to answers given in Finnland until the answers have been given, making their predictions slightly wrong.

There are a lot of ifs but we are working on very little knowledge.

[table][tr][td]547[/td][td]Choren-21[/td][td]Sep-21[/td][td]Moiraine and Lanfear disappear through the redstone doorframe ter'angreal, presumed dead.[/td][/tr][tr][td]653[/td][td]Taisham-15[/td][td]Jan-05[/td][td]Moghedien, now mindtrapped, meets Moridin.[/td][/tr][/table]

The quoted rows give the maximum time for how long Lanfear held captive (Moghedien found Moridin holding 2 mindtraps; one being hers, later events tell the other is Cyndane's [Lanfear resurrected])

Got the info from this site::

http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm

So 106 to 107 days at the maximum; likely less.

If Cyndane's body is Cabriana and if the site estimates the dating correctly, these rows would provide minimum time Lanfear was held:

[table][tr][td]547[/td][td]Choren-21[/td][td]Sep-21[/td][td]Moiraine and Lanfear disappear through the redstone doorframe ter'angreal, presumed dead.[/td][/tr][tr][td]587[/td][td]Nesan-5[/td][td]Oct-31[/td][td](?) Semirhage tortures Cabriana Mecandes and her Warder.[/td][/tr][/table]

About 40 to 41 days at the minimum; likely more.

Archived