DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

There has to be an Age of legends Trilogy one way or the other

sheikh chilli

Did you have the intention to explore what happened before the Breaking of the World?

RJ: No, anything I would do there would have a sense of inevitability. You know whats going to happen.

http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/9916/t/First-dragon-con-report.html

There you have RJs position on the matter.

well you could say the same thing about new spring

No, you can not. There is one person whose opinion matters here, and that person is RJ. And obviously, he saw the prequels and the outriggers in a different light than any story set in the AOL.

The prequels (well, New spring anyway, as we do not know if the other two ever will be written) are a part of WOT. They contribute to the greater story, with bits of information that could not be fitted into the main books, and additional world building. An AOL story would do no such thing.

Ok I have two things to say. First off am I the only one who actually enjoyed all of Brian Herbert's Dune books? I mean sure they don't come close to Dune, but in my opinion they were alot better then the 2nd book in the series. (Prophet of Dune I think it was called)

All of the new Dune books are atrocious.

Second I would personally enjoy any other books that were written in the WoT world, be they outriggers or prequels. I happen to enjoy any books that take place with familiar characters. Some might think that series like Terry Goodkind's or the star wars series continue on too long. I however, enjoy them immensly. This would be especially in regard to the Seanchan, I will be very disappointed if that story arc is not finished.

Goofkind makes the new Dune stuff look good.

for a sequel to have any meaning there must be some ending or a purpose to it. I can't for my life think how a sequel on mat and tuon is going to be the least interesting. I like reading the wheel of time because it has the good vs evil. the warder vs the trolloc. aes sedai vs forsaken. the light vs the dark one.
You don't see how Mat reconquering Seanchan could be in the least bit interesting? Mat, one of the most popular characters out there, learning new things about Seanchan, battles...No, nothing at all of interest there.

Ok I have two things to say. First off am I the only one who actually enjoyed all of Brian Herbert's Dune books?
Given that they continue to sell well enough that continuing to rape Frank Herbert's legacy is still profitable, no, you are not the only one. Then again, if the success of Dan Brown tells us anything, it's that an awful lot of people are willing to read crap. And the second Dune book was Dune Messiah.

Some might think that series like Terry Goodkind's or the star wars series continue on too long.
Others might say, with some justification, that they were bad to start with. Well, Star Wars books are written by a variety of authors, so that would mean quality is always going to vary.
I however, enjoy them immensly.
Have you ever tried Dan Brown?

Have you ever tried Dan Brown?

There are few authors I hate more passionately than Dan Brown.  Of course, that might be because of the fact that the local library had 12 copies of the Da Vinci code when the movie was out.  Yes, 12 copies.  I know this number for certain because I worked in circulation there during the summer.  To put it into context, this local library is not a particularly large library.  I live in a reasonably affluent neighborhood, so it might be larger than most, but it is nothing compared to city libraries.  12 copies of one book is probably at least 4 times as many copies as the next most popular.  End of rant and offtopic tangent.  :P

ares,

the wheel of time to me is good vs evil. Forsaken vs aes sedai. fades vs warders. Mat running around with tuon sounds like boring stuff to me.

I rather see the war of power, how the one power was forged as a weapon, how the forsaken became who they are, the battle between LTT and ishy at paran disen etc

the wheel of time to me is good vs evil. Forsaken vs aes sedai. fades vs warders.

Well then I think you're selling WoT short. There's a lot more to it than that.

I rather see the war of power, how the one power was forged as a weapon, how the forsaken became who they are, the battle between LTT and ishy at paran disen etc

Wether you'd rather see it or not, in the end you won't.

If they'll do anything, it'll be the prequels/Outriggers. They won't go beyond that, nor should they IMO.

the wheel of time to me is good vs evil. Forsaken vs aes sedai. fades vs warders. Mat running around with tuon sounds like boring stuff to me.
Well, there's a bit more to it, but a Mat and Tuon trilogy in Seanchan does not preclude a good v evil conflict. It might not be a fight against the ultimate evil, be more centred around human conflict, but that won't stop it being good v evil.

By Mr Ares "Have you ever tried Dan Brown"

Anyway, I have never read the Da Vinci Code and don't want to but if I recall correctly Dan Brown also wrote some military fiction books and those I read and enjoyed.

Also you actually had a good point about the Star Wars books,and you are right about the second Dune book I knew it was something like that but it has been years since I read it. Also regarding Terry Goodkind again, while there may be people who dislike his books the point I was trying to make is that I do.

Also since I don't want this to be entirely off topic, I think that I would prefer a book like the one that has been speculated to be about Mat and Tuon. However, I think that an AOL book would also be enjyoable and be in a different style do the the technology they had.

I am quoting you this way Mr. Ares because I messed it up somehow when I hit insert quote.

Also regarding Terry Goodkind again, while there may be people who dislike his books the point I was trying to make is that I do.
The point I was making is that a lot of people are willing to read and enjoy awful books. Sometimes, they don't even realise what they're reading is bad.

RJ had no intention whatsoever to write anything set in the AOL. What would be the purpose, we know what happens.

Imagine reading how TG plays out before you start reading TEOTW...

Imagine reading how Tarmon Gaidon plays out before you start reading TEOTW.. and being able to figure out the two year gap. Imagine the ammount of new stuff that could and definitely would appear in an AoL set. Seeing the Forsaken turn from Light to Dark! Watching Ishamael decide that its the best decision, hearing of Semirhage teaching children the glories of the Dark One... I would love it if in a potential Prologue to the first AoL book we had Mierins moment when she discovers the True Power by mistake.

Also regarding Terry Goodkind again, while there may be people who dislike his books the point I was trying to make is that I do.
The point I was making is that a lot of people are willing to read and enjoy awful books. Sometimes, they don't even realise what they're reading is bad.

Classic.

I really want an AoL set now! The Forsaken should be regular PoV characters. If only! We could watch Ishamael evolve into the fiery "Ba'alzamon" we know and love. Hell, maybe we could get some answers to stuff we wont have by the end of 14.

RJ had no intention whatsoever to write anything set in the AOL. What would be the purpose, we know what happens.

Imagine reading how Tarmon Gaidon plays out before you start reading TEOTW.. and being able to figure out the two year gap. Imagine the ammount of new stuff that could and definitely would appear in an AoL set. Seeing the Forsaken turn from Light to Dark! Watching Ishamael decide that its the best decision, hearing of Semirhage teaching children the glories of the Dark One... I would love it if in a potential Prologue to the first AoL book we had Mierins moment when she discovers the True Power by mistake.

Elan morin Tedronai: fellow aes sedai i call his special meeting to make an important announcement. For many years we have been fighting against the dark one and his allies. I have now come to understand that this struggle is futile at best. It's time we have understood the truth and faced it. The dark one will win and there's no stopping that. I have made my decision. i pledge allegiance to shaitan. I suggest you all to do the same if you want to survive and prosper. Some of you may disagree with what i have said but you will know the truth soon enough.

chaos ensues and pandemonium reigns........

i know it's a poor effort but i am sure brandon sanderson can do better ;)

It's like watching the Prequel Trilogy of Star Wars...but with magic!

Know what's even crazier, in my opinion? When someone states their opinion as if they expect it to be taken as fact. Like, in my opinion, they actually think that, because they they express it, it becomes true.  ;D
Corrected for you.

It's like watching the Prequel Trilogy of Star Wars...but with magic!
And no Jar-Jar.

Know what's even crazier, in my opinion? When someone states their opinion as if they expect it to be taken as fact. Like, in my opinion, they actually think that, because they they express it, it becomes true.  ;D
Corrected for you.

I was wondering how long is was going to take you to get to that. :)

I am with the others here that talk about how interesting it would be to see the progression from "OMG The Bore!" to "That's right LTT, you've been owned!". Each Forsaken's path to the DO could be a great story in it of itself. We have seen enough glimpses to know that most of them have very intriguing stories. And the battle as a whole. How it played out. I mean, come on, it's about the journey, not just the destination.

I don't really relate at all to the "we already know how it turns out, so why bother" thing. The Shadow Rising is my favorite book in the series, and a big part of that is the glimpses of the AoL that Rand gets. It seems like a lot of writers are good at saying "In the days of this or that, when great things happened". I thought RJ was at his best when he didn't just give vague references to times of old when this and that happened, but when he actually took you there and fleshed it out.

All that said, if RJ didn't want it to happen then I am dissapointed, but I would definitely not want an AoL story created solely from Brandon. No disrespect, but I agree with those who don't want anything labeled "WoT" that wasn't conceptualized by Jordan.

Oh, about Mat and Tuon in Seanchan.....wow, that sounds like some of the most boring stuff ever.

Archived