DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tainting saidin

Rinkai

When the Dark one tainted saidin, was it something the male Aes sedai did to make it possible? Or, did the Dark one always have the oppurtunity, and did it as a sick sort of joke?

If he could always do it, why not taint saidar as well?

Which got me thinking. I think a wicked way to end the series would to be to seal away the Dark one and have him taint saidar. Oh, the possibilities. There could be a follow up series a thousand years later. All the aes sedai went crazy and caused the second breaking. The black tower replaced the white one. The Sul'dam could be a huge police force..... man I need to write this down.....

The tainting happened at the point the Bore was sealed. According to the White Book: "Though Lews Therin's campaign to seal the Bore was technically successful, it also heralded a greater disaster than any of the events of the War of the Shadow, for in the very moment of sealing the Dark One away from the world, a backblast tainted saidin even as the Companions drew upon it. Whether this was a deliberate action by the Dark One or a by-product of his efforts to stop the Bore from being sealed may never be known."

So we don't know if he even did it on purpose or not.

I remember reading the Fateful Concord is that the female AS won't help males with Lews Therin and companions in the end so that the taint backlash didn't hit females.

So I suspect a taint on Saidar ending would only occur if the males do not take part.

ya from the way i piece it together its because the males sealed the bore by themselves w/out women. thus since it wasn't done w/ a circle to help balance it out ( greatest achievements were done w/ both saidar an saidin ),

since the power was barely enough to seal him ( the patch has been weakening since ) i feel the DO was able to use the situation and cause the backlash and induce the taint ( all possible because of the circumstances )

When the Dark one tainted saidin, was it something the male Aes sedai did to make it possible?
Yes. Saidin was exposed during the sealing. On purpose or not, it was done then because that was the only time the opportunity was presented.

And what if the Dark One had been capable of tainting both saidar and saidin at the same time during the sealing?

Jordan confirmed this in the Budapest Q&A 2003 (available at wot.wikia.com)

"And in the end, what resulted was the so-called “Fatal Covenant” [it was actually the “Fateful Concord” – Terez], which had the female Aes Sedai swearing not to go along with Lews Therin’s plan, that they would not support it. The result of this was that Lews Therin carried out his plan with only male Aes Sedai, so there were only male Aes Sedai channeling there, which was a lucky thing, because if there’d been women as well, then both saidin and saidar would have been tainted."

We don't know wether it was a delibate attempt by him or not. The DO must probably in some way have been in direct contact with the weaves channeled by the hundred companions.

Maybe even touching something that close to the DO with the One Power could result in a backblast that tainted saidin. The same could probably then happen to saidar even if used at the same time.

We know that the Forsaken know better than to channel at Shayol Ghul.  If you channel at Shayol Ghul you probably either get killed by the Dark One or there is some system in place at Shahol Ghul that punishes those who do.

Although I do believe The Dark One would allow his own people to cannel at Shayol Ghul would it be necessary. He does protect them from the taint/his shadow.

I always thoguht they couldnt channel at Shayol Ghul because thats where he is most vulnerable, and since he got burned once by channeling in that area he doesnt wanna get burned again
Strictly speaking, it is possible to channel there, but doing so without Shai'tan's express epprmission is likely to be a little bit fatal. So in practical terms, it might well be true that no-one can channel there.

Elaida had a Foretelling that said that the Dragon Reborn will feel the Amrylin(sp) Seat's anger and sisters will walk on the Black Tower's grounds. And all the little thingies at the end of the books that are from the Fourth Age? It seems that the Dark One's prison has been completely sealed by some means or I can't see them reaching that level of prosperity.

Elaida's foretelling is misleading, though she is too blind to see it.  The Dragon Reborn (Rand) will know the Amrylin Seat's Anger.  Since the second part of the foretelling has come true, and sisters do in fact walk the grounds of the BT, as prisoners, we can assume the the Amrylin Rand should be ducking is Egwene, and not Elaida.  Who we know to be something of a dumbass with a borderline problem with alcoholism. 

As to the question, channeling anywhere near the bore w/o the DO's express permission is fatal. When Moghedien is taken to the bore by SH to be mindtrapped, she attempts to sidestep that fate by channeling, something she knows to be fatal, not realizing that the SH's presence prevents her from even sensing the source.

Which got me thinking. I think a wicked way to end the series would to be to seal away the Dark one and have him taint saidar. Oh, the possibilities. There could be a follow up series a thousand years later. All the aes sedai went crazy and caused the second breaking. The black tower replaced the white one. The Sul'dam could be a huge police force..... man I need to write this down.....

i don't think so, because that would be a totally crap ending to the series.  it's like not having an ending at all, which stinks.

everything that has a beginning, has an end.

i don't think so, because that would be a totally crap ending to the series.  it's like not having an ending at all, which stinks.

Dude, it's on the first page of every book "there are niether beginnings nor endings to the turning of the wheel of time."

But thats neither here nor there. Anywho, It would be a cool premise to do a follow up on.

So, assume the DO could have tainted saidar if he was in direct contact with it. Why not assemble some of the black ajah or any female disciple that can channel and have the channel at the DO. Then Taint it. Or re-taint saidin. The on of two sa angreal are broken, so the one power cannot be cleansed again.

Because the modern AS are morons when compared to the AoL women AS.  With the the forsaken helping it would still be really hard because 120 women don't have the strength of 120 men (the number of the 100 companions).

Dude, it's on the first page of every book "there are niether beginnings nor endings to the turning of the wheel of time."

Has anyone considered the idea that the Wheel never gets to turn fully?

And... How many Ages behind the next Age of Legends do you think the Third Age is?

Archived