DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why so hard?

Jestr1323

I'm on KoD and I just started thinking. Why is saidar so easy to handle when saidin is like a raging icy river (i think that's how they put it)? I'm trying to think of a time if they explain why it's so difficult for male channelers, but I can't think of any. Could someone tell me, I'm very curious!

It's simply to differentiate between saidin and saidar -- there is no particular reason why they function as they do.

Well, it could be because male channelers are generally stronger than female channelers, though I doubt it.

I don't think that surrender is necessarily easier than fighting.  Look at all the trouble Nynaeve has with surrendering...  I think that it depends on when you start to learn and what type of person you are.  I am a very uptight person and would find it easier to fight that to completely surrender.  I can't even fall asleep easily because I don't like to give up control.

Maybe RJ couldn't think of a significant way to differentiate between saidin and saidar (a way that effected the story line), he made it a generalization to the idea of men being stronger and women being weaker.  Not in the power, just in general.

Men are so strong that they have to fight to gain their power.

Women are so weak that all they have to do is surrender.

Only an idea though.  Probably wrong.

I always saw sexual undertones in it. The male seizes The Source, grasps and controls it like a passionate, consuming lust that will turn violent if he cannot rein it in, while the woman surrenders, gives in to it, receives and guides it, directs its strength even while succumbing to it.

I have this idea in my head--it has no basis--but its there.

Basically my idea is that the Power is indeed like an ocean. Saidin is the surface of the ocean--chaotic--with thrashing waves and a storm tossed sea. Saidar is the deeper depths, seemingly tranquil yet subject to much much more powerful currents.

This even explains side issues--like why men sense women channeling but women don't sense men--because women reach through saidin to reach saidar. It also explains why women on average are slightly weaker than men--because they have to reach further--yet they can achieve more with less strength because saidar's stiller strength goes further.

But this is likely all crap. Gentled Ben is probably closer to what RJ was doing with the sexual undertones. Still, i like it.

I believe its all part of the diametric opposition represented by the symbol of the Aes Sedai.  Saidar must be conquered; Saidin must be yielded to.  Each provides the push and pull necessary to turn the Wheel of Time.

Which is basically what everyone else has said.  :D

May Peace favor your Swords

I thought it was a reflection of male/female characteristics.

Saidin is the male half...chaotic and full of rage and raw strength...depicting the stereotype masculinity of men being strong, raw strength and finding it difficult to feel/manage emotions.

Saidar is the female half...a tranquil river with incredible currents of power underneath...depicting the societal view of women as the more docile gender, though underneath that exterior lies a great source of strength and power.

I just thought RJ was trying to reflect gender characteristics...it's why saidar seems so foreign to Rand...it's a tranquil river but when he dips into it, it threatens to carry him away; just as Nynaeve expresses disgust when she feels saidin.  "All that rage and chaos and death!!!"  they're foreign emotions, feelings and characteristics.

that's what I thought anyway.

I just thought RJ was trying to reflect gender characteristics...it's why saidar seems so foreign to Rand...it's a tranquil river but when he dips into it, it threatens to carry him away; just as Nynaeve expresses disgust when she feels saidin.  "All that rage and chaos and death!!!"  they're foreign emotions, feelings and characteristics.

that's what I thought anyway.

The best analogy so far, supported by a very good example (the part I quoted).

(Off-topic: Btw, I disagree with your sig. Britney is Seanchan and had been raised to the High Blood when she shaved her head.)

May Peace favor your Swords

I only have 1 :(

It's really good that you only have one my friend :)

European Earwigs have two. One for normal use, and one for special circumstances.

God bless the Book of General Ignorence.

I allways did think of it as Yin and Yang. Together they are complete (both Saidar and Saidin), the raging power of Saidin, and the calm power of Saidar. Never did think of it as female and male power...in my world females seldom surender for anything :D They take what they want, and fight hard for it.

Saidar and Saidin together is like the oposite of the true power (the dark ones power), but it needs a female and a male channeler.

I did never mix in the old sexroles in it.

I think I have an idea on this. When Nynave was studing Logain and Siuan she noticed that there was a "cut" on the females and a "hole" in the male. Maybe because it's simple as females reach through what was cut and the men are filled with the power , like a bucket being filled. Just a thought.

Yeah, I don't think I know what an Earwig is...

I don't either really.

Quote from: Kathana Trevalaer on June 18, 2009, 10:04:49 AM

It's meant to have sexual undertones.

Is the title of this thread supposed to have sexual undertones as well, or is that just a co-incidence?

We'll wait and see if it happens three times, then we'll know for sure.

Archived