• Mat
    • Rand
    • Moridin
    • Shadar Haran
    • Cadsuane
    • Taim
    • Lan
    • Slayer

Talking about what's dangerous is or not, i can only think about a phrase of the LOTR. Gimli says to Gandalf that Fangorn (Treebeard) was dangerous and Gandalf rightly answered: (forgive me i don't have the book here now so i'm translated from Italian)

"Dangerous!I am dangerous, extremely dangerous: more dangerous than everything you could never meet[...]and Aragorn too is dangerous, so as Legolas [...], you too, at your way, are dangeorus."

That speech was in my mind when I made my second post.

I have an English copy of the book.  The speech goes like this:

'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset with dangers, Gimli son of Gloin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion. Certainly the forest of Fangorn is perilous - not least to those that are too ready with their axes; and Fangorn himself, he is perilous too; yet he is wise and kindly nonetheless. But now his long slow wrath is brimming over, and all the forest is filled with it. [...]'

Actually now that I think of it, Rand with Lews Therin in his head, is definitely the most dangerous. Rabid dog sort of dangerous. You can never know when he loses control/his mind and starts wreaking havoc. Too bad I can not change the vote.

I vote for Shaidar Haran. He's just too creepy.

Rand is powerful, extremely so. He is the Dragon Reborn, after all. His ta'veren-ness also induces unpleasant effects in his surroundings. But Shaidar Haran is (possibly) the avatar of the Dark One himself. Rand would never go around destroying cities at will. Shaidar Haran would, if he could. He is consciously dangerous. Of course, I am making the assumption that SH is just the DO in Myrddral form. Was that confirmed? Can't remeber. In any case, I would certainly consider the indestructible (not undefeatable) DO as more dangerous than the 'mortal, after all' Rand al'Thor.

Q66 – Part 1: Is Shaidar Haran an avatar to the world beyond the Bore?

RJ: I am not certain you can really call him an avatar because I generally think of an avatar as having exactly the same powers as, and it is not, Shaidar Haran does not have nearly as much power as the Dark One. It’s as though the Dark One is able to project a shadowy form of himself into this creature…it is the Dark One in shadowy form.

Q67 – Part 2: Is it twenty-four/seven, or just part-time.

RJ: Twenty-four/seven.

Shaidar Haran is definately one dangerous creature. I wonder how it will be killed. Fains dagger (opposing evils)?

Define dangerous.  Define damage.

No.

Mahatma Gandhi might be shown to have ended the British Empire.

You really need to pose a specific situation to get any meaningful answer.  He/she who is a danger in one set of circumstances isn't even a hindrance in some other set of circumstances.

Exactly.  Therefore, I am asking: who is the most dangerous in the most situations?  Gandhi was a dangerous man.  He could have led his people to violence and caused a great amount of damage, death, suffering, etc.  He chose peace, but he was dangerous.  However, in a different political climate Gandhi would not be dangerous at all, so his overall "danger level" is in my opinion lessened.

'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset with dangers, Gimli son of Gloin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion.

This is exactly what I'm asking about:  Everyone is dangerous in their own way, so who is the most dangerous (as an enemy)?  I still think it's Mat.  He has a good chance against most channelers and swordsmen, he'll win a battle/war if it is winnable, he has the Pattern trying to keep him alive, and he is extremely lucky.

This topic is very subjective. For the most part, the majority of people will pick Mat (who is my second favorite character after Perrin). However, a channeler can easily destroy him if the use the Power to throw a boulder at him. Bizarre example, I know. Also, we don't know how his medallion fares against the True Power. I doubt it works the same.

I myself voted for Taim. He is unpredictable (most likely mad), powerful, has the allegiance of many powerful Asha'man (and possible Aes Sedai), and is close to Rand. While Sun Tzu said "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," the closer an enemy is, the easier he can stick a knife in your back.

If any of the characters in the poll approached Rand, he'd know their intentions. Except Taim. He's either a Darkfriend or mad and both those are dangerous.

Anyways. As I previously stated, this topic is subjective and depends on what your definition of dangerous is.

Gonna have to go with Shaidar Haran.  Dangerous, by definition means likely to cause harm, and in that case I think Haran is the tops.  Otherwise, literal definitions aside, I'd say it's pretty close between SH and Rand.  When you can make a deathgate, you're probably not gonna have any trouble at the bar.

Mahatma Gandhi might be shown to have ended the British Empire.
There is a word for people who think that: wrong.

While Sun Tzu said "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," the closer an enemy is, the easier he can stick a knife in your back.
Easier for you to see it coming, easier for you to stick a knife in him.

My Vote go's to Lan and Cadsuane, Lan is just a total badass with no fear of death and the skills to back himself and cadsuane is about as smart and cunning as they come.

In the end, i think Lan is the single most dangerous person in all of WoT, he cant use the one power, but i really dont think he needs it.

He is a master of his emotions and his skill with the sword is unsurpassed.

Add to that the fact that he can assume the void in an instant and has survived more battles/fights etc were he is outnumbered and still he comes out on top.

I mean c'mon, the entire aiel race honors him and they live for battle.

I am very tempted to nominate Mat, for the following reasons.

Firstly, he has some buffering against channelers, thus invalidating them.

Secondly, his tactical knowledge, as well as skills with weaponry would make him a foe to rival any Warder or veteran war general.

Thirdly, his luck, and his Ta'veren status. This is his strongest asset, I believe, as it is an element outside the True Power and the Source. Supposing his luck and fate is overwhelmingly working in his favor, I can see him defeating any of the others on the list. How that would happen, I've no idea. But knowing what these have done for him, I wouldn't doubt he could accomplish such a feat.

Short of the Dark One, I think Mat is the most dangerous entity in the WoT world, since he can be extremely unpredictable. I don't think he is the most dangerous 100% of the time, but when he has every element he possesses at his disposal working at overdrive, I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than at the other end of the globe from this guy.

So I guess I'll vote Mat after all.

Unless one decided to drop a rock on him. Or use lightning. Or any of the other things that would kill him.

Unless one decided to drop a rock on him. Or use lightning. Or any of the other things that would kill him.

The medallion has been told many times to be a great insulator capable of absorbing lightning from the Dark One himself. It also acts as a great rock stopper ([rok stop-er] 1. A person or thing that stops a large mass of stone, esp. one dropped with the One Power.) And grants one Extra Life.

Archived