DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just an idea for a game a WoT RTS

I was thinking, I saw that they were making a RPG for wheel of time which i thought was cool but not as cool as a strategy game would be like Praetorians.  Not sure how many of you played that, but like a game like Age of Empires / starcraft.  But cooler.  Like you can have like brigades, instead of an individual unit, and you can mess around with formations instead of just sending them in waves.  I mean for a WoT strategy game you could have like 3 fractions.  You have the seanchen, with their very disciplined troops maybe not as numerous as other units in the game because they rely heavily on damanes as weapons highly offecive offensive and defensive units. And of course maybe death watch guards, some of the monsters they got as well.  Then you have all the people in uh... Randland, not sure if that's the correct term or not. All allied up, you have the Saldean heavy horses, the White cloak legions, maybe the legion of the dragons crossbowman.  Maybe you can have ash'man as highly effective weapons, but they can have it at any time they'll go mad and start wrecking havoc among your army and theres no way of knowing when they go mad.  And then you have Aes Sedai who can't be used offensively and maybe not defensively depending on where she is in the field if she "feels" threatened or not.  But can be used as field medics, or maybe cast wards that hide units, stuff like that.  And then you got the Aiel as another fraction maybe? Just all around bad As. Or Maybe you can play as individual factions, maybe you can play as the seanchen for one campaign, maybe you can play as the Band of the Red Hand.  you can see where I'm going with this, I just think this idea for a game would be a lot cooler then a RPG game especially sense it will be hard to compete with WoW.  IMO

Maybe rather make more factions. Seanchan, Aiel, Borderlands, Children of Light, Andor, Cairhien, Tear, White Tower, Black Tower, Illian, Sea Folk.

To have all those would be too much. It would take way too long to make all those factions, so maybe to cut some, but have Borderlands as one, Seanchan and Aiel at least, and maybe one or two Randland factions, and just maybe Sea Folk.

It would still be really big though.

like a game like Age of Empires / starcraft.  But cooler. 

Starcraft is the coolest RTS ever ;)

Any genre would be good as long as it's made with quality. I would of course prefer an RPG made by BIOWARE, although a FPS like Jedi Knight could be very cool too. I would prefer such a game to have the main storyline of it's own, not connected to the books, sort of like KOTOR in Star Wars.

I really woudn't like to see a MMORPG made, cause your average MMORPG player is a psycho, 12 hours a day - player, who loves nothing more than to relieve his frustrations by bashing 'lesser' players in the game.

if there would ever be any RTS based on WOT it would have be a Total War game. theyt usually have around 20-30 factions.

but off course WOT would never work as an RTS at all to begin with

For the love of God! Everyone who misuses "of" and "off" are so annoying!!! It irritates the heck out of me! It's of in this context!

Not that I have anything against you personally but it just makes my blood boil!

if there would ever be any RTS based on WOT it would have be a Total War game. theyt usually have around 20-30 factions.

There was a WoT mod for Rome: Total War that was under development for about 2 years before they called it a day. They'd gotten the map done but were having real difficulties making channelling work, and the lack of any airborne creatures meant they couldn't have raken or draghkar in it either. A shame, as it was looking quite smart when they gave up on it.

I think an Empire Earth mod would work quite good, but I don't think it has the mod abilities as SimCity 4 has. Too bad SimCity 4 is a city-building game, but I once saw a map that was supposed to look like Randland. I downloaded it but all the city tiles were large, and my computer can't handle a large city on a large city tile  :-\

There was a WoT mod for Rome: Total War that was under development for about 2 years before they called it a day. They'd gotten the map done but were having real difficulties making channelling work, and the lack of any airborne creatures meant they couldn't have raken or draghkar in it either. A shame, as it was looking quite smart when they gave up on it.

it might work if they used a different period, like the Hundred years war. i doubt there was any channeling then in battles

Why couldn't they get channeling to work? I can see it as something like starcraft the Templar's they got running around, wouldn't seem that hard to me? 

And why wouldn't  a WoT RTS work? I think it would be a lot easier than an entire world for  a RPG

WoT as an RTS would probably end up being some Warcraft III style crap (guess who doesn't like the idea of super awesome mega hero units in his RTS?). It could possibly make a great MMO (well, it is the most epic book series I know of) or simply some RPG/RTS hybrid, but it would be tricky, those are always risky.

I am not sure if this would be the right section to discuss this.

I think Wheel of Time would make a good Real Time Strategy game.

3 factions to me would not be enough.

The team types probably cover each country and probably also each organization.

if it was a rts for me I would like to see every country appear on it as a playable faction so the seanchan would be easiest to play, and a place like ghealdan being the hardest (non-united). But unfortunately this is undoable within the time period that the books put into effect. Besides balancing the game would be a terrible task since you would have so many special units (Two rivers longbowmen, borderlands calvalry, etc.)

A Wheel of Time game that was similar to the Total War games would be amazing. I was pretty sad when the Wheel of Time mod for Rome: Total War was shelved.

The games are pretty indepth and the ability to control nations from the series would be fun and so would fighting on the battlefield.

The Total War games are my favorite so you can see why I would love it they mixed WoT with Total War.

I wouldn't mind seeing a game for WoT that's similar to WoW. It may not be as popular as WoW but I'd rather have it than not have it all *shrugs* I also don't see anything wrong with a RPG for WoT, I play WoW and I run a guild based off the Aes Sedai, the ranks follow the Tower's structure and we have RP as an option to those interested in doing the ceremonies for being raised to an Accepted and to the Shawl. When a guild member reaches Aes Sedai rank they choose their Ajah and it's posted on their public note. We even have Hall of the Tower meetings, and show up decked out in our Ajahs color *due to lack of shawls*. Since it is WoW there's a lot of differences of course, we allow male characters to join and become Aes Sedai, bonding Warders is a bit in the works. We've essentially twisted it to suit WoW and follow WoT as much as possible. For now I just usually tell people that we're sort of an Age of Legends version of the Aes Sedai, but plopped in the current age for the books.

I wouldn't mind seeing a game for WoT that's similar to WoW. It may not be as popular as WoW but I'd rather have it than not have it all

If there was a WoW type WoT game I would /wowquit and start playing the wot version...especially if Blizzard made it (yeah, I know I'm gonna take crap for that one).  I enjoy the cartoonish look of wow and really don't like games that strive to look real...especially since they all fail.

The only way I see this working as a RTS is if they make all the nations/factions very similar with some special units and buildings thrown in for each faction. Something like AoE, but that doesn't make a good game IMO. An RPG wood be much better.

There have been three attempts to do Total War mods for WoT and each time it falls apart. Just not enough interest from skinners, coders and modellers which are what are badly needed for the mods. Making maps, placing cities, altering traits and so on are straightforward, but actually creating the battlefield maps and sculpting the cities so they look something like the books is really hard work.

But if it is done well, as with these Middle-earth and Song of Ice and Fire mods, it can be something really special.

Well... there are some MMO's that does not have the massive player base WoW has but developted it's own niche of players, such as the Turbine games LOTRO (based on Tolkien's LOTR) and DDO (Based on the Dragon Lance world).

Those have good engines, nice graphics, music and try hard to follow the storyline and the felling of those worlds. I would like very much to see a WOTO (Wheel of Time Online) made by Turbine. I would quit LOTRO to play it ^^

Archived